• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneFox

The storm knocked down all the recycling bins outside, a few of the neighbors and I rushed outside to clean up the mess from the street before any cars came by to hit the debris. Just crazy how fast it came in, I saw a guy on a bicycle riding in the storm like it wasn't happening lol

It's settled down now, hope nobody got hurt out there.

acksman

Yup Sky Harbor. We are outside sitting in the plane as it gets blown back and forth with sand and rain. Never seen anything like it here.

blackflag

Awesome storm. As soon as it set off, drove over to Pima trail in South Mountain. Only live a couple minutes away. Girlfriend got some good pictures.

StoneFox

This storm is just intense, I'm watching the streetlights on the 60 sway back and forth like crazy. I hope it passes through quickly. D:

HariKari

Legitimately a few of the loudest thundercracks I've ever heard in twenty years of living in AZ. Massive bolts, easily turn your vision red. Power going out a lot of places. Not a ton of rain yet. At the 60 and power.

There was crazy wind out here in east mesa. Now its just rain and lightning. I'm glad I retied the tarp on my car from earlier today, otherwise it probably would have blown away.

Anion

Sup guys, I made it just in time to Phoenix just before the storm. I'm from Pittsburgh originally, however I was traveling with my family on vacation. I have to say your state is beautiful. We kinda are on a mini road trip. Stayed in Malabu CA for a week, drove to Vegas, and then visited the Grand Canyon for a while. So Phoenix is the last place we are staying at before we go home. We took the route though Sedona to get here and man...it's so beautiful

Also, I don't know how you guys live here. It's so hot and today apparently wasn't even a hot day lol

Unicorn

Sup guys, I made it just in time to Phoenix just before the storm. I'm from Pittsburgh originally, however I was traveling with my family on vacation. I have to say your state is beautiful. We kinda are on a mini road trip. Stayed in Malabu CA for a week, drove to Vegas, and then visited the Grand Canyon for a while. So Phoenix is the last place we are staying at before we go home. We took the route though Sedona to get here and man...it's so beautiful

Also, I don't know how you guys live here. It's so hot and today apparently wasn't even a hot day lol
Today was like a day where I was thinking "this is a day, as a kid, that would be perfect to play." hahaha 95 was the high today. Tomorrow is going to be around 110. Enjoy that.

Also, I have no A/C in my car. Haven't all summer...

I miss Arizona. Lived there for a year before I had to move back to Illinois. I've been back in Illinois for almost a year and the humidity still kicks my ass. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I had a job/place lined up.

I was in Tucson but would rather be up in the Phoenix area if I came back. It seems like there's more to do since I'm a sports fan.

Also, having experienced both heats I prefer Arizona. A 90 degree day in AZ feels like 75 in Illinois. Loved it out there :(

Anion

Today was like a day where I was thinking "this is a day, as a kid, that would be perfect to play." hahaha 95 was the high today. Tomorrow is going to be around 110. Enjoy that.

Also, I have no A/C in my car. Haven't all summer...
Dang man, no ac? That seriously sucks
Probably not the best idea if you thought today was hot. If you do go, bring a lot of water. You don't want to add to the number of dead tourists because of dehydration/getting lost/ect.
Yeah haha, I'll try not to add myself to that list

HariKari

Yup. Every car I own always ends up losing A/C. Third car to do so. Don't have time to get it checked or leave it to get fixed :/

If it just needs to be charged, you can buy a kit from an auto store and do it yourself. Not hard. Relatively cheap to do. If that doesn't work, it's probably a costly compressor issue.

lem0n

Lost power out here in San Tan Valley for like 6 hours last night. I don't think I've ever been more uncomfortable while trying to sleep.

Alur

Just moved out here to the Phoenix area from Kentucky a few weeks ago. That storm last night was pretty impressive. Was weird watching the wind and rain come like that and not be expecting a tornado warning.

HariKari

Just moved out here to the Phoenix area from Kentucky a few weeks ago. That storm last night was pretty impressive. Was weird watching the wind and rain come like that and not be expecting a tornado warning.

Yep. No real natural disasters besides the odd flood, which still isn't as bad as other states have it when it happens.

Welcome to PHX, hope you enjoy it!

Wow, I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread until now.

My family's home is in Buckeye and we're just about to be moving there.

Long story short, my family searched for a new home and found one in my Middle School years, we all visited it every Winter/Summer vacation during my High School years (2 weeks - 1 month), and we all love it. Now that I graduated from high school months ago and my father is retiring pretty soon, we're finally making the complete move-in this fall.

I'm coming from Michigan, so adjusting to the dry heat felt like a new experience the very first time we went there. I actually like this sort of heat, so I prefer it over Michigan's humidity-filled summer days and chilling winters.

We've visited plenty of stores/resturaunts that we were new to and I can guarantee that we'll find some more that will become our favorites. I'll be starting college later this year starting from Estrella Mountain Comm College to ASU (both colleges accepted me, but I'm taking the Community College as a smaller leap for me) and I actually feel encouraged to do things outside like bike riding whenever I'm there.

But yeah, we're moving in a few weeks and I've already made several visits there to know that I'm going to enjoy my new home.

Excessive heat warning today and pretty much through the weekend. The high is going to be 113-115 degrees.

This has been a service of the GAF weather team.

HariKari

We've visited plenty of stores/resturaunts that we were new to and I can guarantee that we'll find some more that will become our favorites. I'll be starting college later this year starting from Estrella Mountain Comm College to ASU (both colleges accepted me, but I'm taking the Community College as a smaller leap for me) and I actually feel encouraged to do things outside like bike riding whenever I'm there.

Use this site for classes so you know what counts as what at ASU: http://www.aztransfer.com/

You can take up to 64 community college credits with you to ASU. Do as many as you can at the cheaper CC. Rio Solado is the online part of the valley CC system, so if you need something but it's full or doesn't fit with your schedule, look there. Also Get a job and establish residency so you can get instate tuition when you do make the jump.

If you haven't already, visit Tempe and South Scottsdale. The west side is a bit of an endless suburbia.

So I went to South Tucson yesterday for a bit....

You watch your back in that area, but it was sort of eye opening for me. I feel more grateful that I don't live in one of those areas.

Just saw this thread and it's soooo hot today so this is refreshing!

I'm from Chandler, went to Chandler High, Then SCC.

Now I go to NAU and live in Flag.

I've also lived in Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Tempe.

I've also worked at Four Peaks Tempe and Humble Pie Scottsdale.

Any other NAU students out there on GAF?

DarkFlow

Banned
Just saw this thread and it's soooo hot today so this is refreshing!

I'm from Chandler, went to Chandler High, Then SCC.

Now I go to NAU and live in Flag.

I've also lived in Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Tempe.

I've also worked at Four Peaks Tempe and Humble Pie Scottsdale.

Any other NAU students out there on GAF?

One of my Ex's went to Chandler High, and a few friends went to NAU. I'm guessing they were long before your time. This was around 2004ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom