• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

Stranya

I haven't read Corroded Man because I heard it wasn't written very well.

We didn't really see Dunwall in D2 until after Dellilah fucked everything up. I think they (Arkane) wanted to show that it had gone to shit but didn't really know how. That's why there's a throw away line from the civilians directly after the coup (outside the palace) that things haven't been good in the Empire for a long time. It just makes me ask "how?? In what way?" The civilians don't really bother expanding on it past that.

That's why I think they did the first Dishonored better. The plot, lore, setting and characters all meshed together pretty perfectly imo.
I don't disagree. D1 was tight. The story in D2 was pretty poor, and not helped by them rushing the start. Revenge! Again!

Corroded Man isn't a work of great literature, but it's serviceable, and that's sufficient for me to enjoy the lore and background it brings. I love reading tie in novels for my favourite games.

CHC

Fed her to the blood flies then into the furnace lol.

Me too! I even did a series of incomplete chokes to get her into the room alive and conscious. Knowing Arkane I expected some kind of in game acknowledgement of this, but alas.... nope.

BigDes

Considering that there is no achievement for a "Clean Hands" run in this one, I said "To hell with it" for the taxidermist!

I managed to do it in a satisfying non lethal way

Tranq'd her, then put her in the cell and opened up the door to the blood flies. Technically I didn't kill her!

That taxidermist is makin it real hard to do a no kill run

I really gave her the what for.

Burned her alive in her furnace

In my next run I plan to...

feed her to her own blood flies, alive.

I managed to do it in a satisfying non lethal way

Tranq'd her, then put her in the cell and opened up the door to the blood flies. Technically I didn't kill her!

I believe in Dishonored 2 this would count as a kill? Right? I thought any NPC that died a wrongful death, e.g., rats, blood flies, or they fall off a cliff while sedated, or get shot by a guard while sedated, etc., counted against you.

Got through Dishonored 1 and 2 without killing anyone or ever being seen.

Never even played a murderous route.

This game though, been loving the massacring. Maybe I should have actually played Dishonored like this before or even just a second run through.

Its just these have always been stealth games to me and when given the option, I find it exciting to never be seen or to kill, very different from a lot of games.

Got through Dishonored 1 and 2 without killing anyone or ever being seen.

Never even played a murderous route.

This game though, been loving the massacring. Maybe I should have actually played Dishonored like this before or even just a second run through.

Its just these have always been stealth games to me and when given the option, I find it exciting to never be seen or to kill, very different from a lot of games.

I'm with you. I usually do a few runs in Dishonored series, and my "high kill" runs are still usually "high stealth / high skill." I love how DH2 gave you that graph at the end of each level with your approach.

I liked the idea of, legit, being the 'Knife of Dunwall,' that is, bad people just turn up dead and I'm never spotted or seen, but you can see all of this death and destruction in my wake. I very rarely feel bad when doing my high kill runs, but honestly, at one point, I legit felt bad in Dishonored 2. In the level before Crack in the SLab, I'm blanking on the name, but it's the one in the Dust District (maybe it's calle "The Dust District"") and you need to steal/find/figure out the password to Jindosh's lock riddle, and there's a room of guards in the high overseer quarters... and I went through and killed all of them, even the guy's sleeping. And I killed this sleeping guard, and then next to his bed he has an unfinished letter to his family about how he hates being a guard and is planning to come home soon to see the girls and how he misses them and only has a few days left on duty, or something.

I legit was like "awww, fuck," and I reloaded it because I couldn't go through with it. I killed everyone else, spared him. Sadly he'll wake up to a room of death and destruction and wonder why he was spared. It will probably drive him mad to know that a silent killer came through and brutally killed all of his buddies (including putting some of them, asleep but living, in the bottom of an elevator and then cutting the ties of the shaft for them to drop to their deaths). He'll never know, it'll likely ruin his life, and his family's life. But he was spared.

Such is the curse of the outsider.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Gah Im stuck inside the
bank
in mission 3. Hate the feeling of being stuck and I dont wanna look up where to go either.

I got to the control panel which opens the
Inner Atrium

Lijik

I wonder if the reason theres no game-wide Clean Hands achievement this go around is because theres an erroneous kills bug that seems really finicky.

It happened to me a few times in the Bank Job but i didnt bother to check every body and just reloaded to an older save and replayed. This time it happened in the mines level and I kept hopping back to saves, and even a super early one outside the mines gates still listed 2 people as dead. Checked the bodies since there werent a whole lot and every one was marked unconscious so i have no idea how to avoid it.

CHC

I think the reason they took out the no-kill achievement was because of the contracts. I feel like it's sort of implied that you should be able to do a no-kill run and see all of the content, and in this case, that would be impossible.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Prey reference: Morgan Yu has a safe at the bank!

haveheart

Banned
I just started to play, finished the first mission and I'm at the beginning of the second level.

It amazes me how I'm immediately drawn back into the Dishonored universe. Karnaca is such a great setting, I'm constantly amazed, this is such an adventurous place, there's something hidden in every corner, exploration is so well done (just like in Prey and Dishonored 1 and particularly 2). I cannot wait to jump back in.

sflufan

Banned
I believe in Dishonored 2 this would count as a kill? Right? I thought any NPC that died a wrongful death, e.g., rats, blood flies, or they fall off a cliff while sedated, or get shot by a guard while sedated, etc., counted against you.

Yes, in DH1 and DH2, that would count as a kill.

Bronetta

I just started to play, finished the first mission and I'm at the beginning of the second level.

It amazes me how I'm immediately drawn back into the Dishonored universe. Karnaca is such a great setting, I'm constantly amazed, this is such an adventurous place, there's something hidden in every corner, exploration is so well done (just like in Prey and Dishonored 1 and particularly 2). I cannot wait to jump back in.

My thoughts exactly. I just want to keep exploring every nook and cranny of this fascinating and atmospheric environments Arkane created.

I remember when we first saw Dishonored 2 and I wasnt sure about the setting change from Dunwall to Karnaca but I ended up loving sunny Karnaca more than dark Dunwall.

I really really really hope we get a Dishonored 3 sooner rather than later. My favourite new ip in the last 5 years.

Timeaisis

Finished this yesterday. All around: loved it. The last mission isn't quite as good as the rest (in my opinion). Mission 3 and 4 were probably the highlights for me (Mission 4 spoilers:
I quite liked revisiting the Conservatory
).

Mission 5 was cool, but I felt it was a little uneven. Some of the enemy placement left a little to be desired (on hard...it was...very hard). But it wrapped up nicely. I will be honest, I kind of rushed through it because it was so difficult haha.

Anyway, fantastic game, probably my second place for GOTY after BotW. Gonna run through with Corvo and Emily's powers next. I wonder how different that will feel.

haveheart

Banned
My thoughts exactly. I just want to keep exploring every nook and cranny of this fascinating and atmospheric environments Arkane created.

I remember when we first saw Dishonored 2 and I wasnt sure about the setting change from Dunwall to Karnaca but I ended up loving sunny Karnaca more than dark Dunwall.

I really really really hope we get a Dishonored 3 sooner rather than later. My favourite new ip in the last 5 years.

Same here. I really thought it looked to sunny and friendly, Dunwall was this cool rainy, foggy, victoriany setting and now they're trying to create a less hostile world. But I was proven wrong, Karnaca feels really authentic and the can pull off some jaw-dropping contrasts (stepping into sewers or asylums, even just going inside a bloodfly infested appartment and stepping back out into the sun).

I fear this is the end to Dishonored. I'm not sad, however, after seeing what they did with Prey. They are one of the most creative studios out there and each of their releases topped the previous one.

BraXzy

How has everyone approached playing this? Thinking of turning off waypoints and rather than go no kill I might go low chaos murder run...

haveheart

Banned
How has everyone approached playing this? Thinking of turning off waypoints and rather than go no kill I might go low chaos murder run...

I always turn off objective waypoints so that you can explore without distractions. Good thing about their games is that they work without markers and if you explore you might even get rewarded by finding alternative routes or secret entrances and stuff.

I also wouldn't avoid killing hostiles. Getting creative with traps and going full on assassin is one of the best parts of Dishonored imo.

Bronetta

I played stealth at first but Im not afraid to rack up the body count once in a while if the guards become annoying or get in my way. Say if my inventory is fully stocked, Ill set some traps and use ammunition to clear out a room or so.

Playing pure stealth means you miss out on the combat which is a big part of the game.

CHC

I dont get how thats implied at all considering its impossible in every other game of the series

What I mean by "see all the content" is like, check all the boxes, not "see every possible cutscene or outcome." You could complete all the objectives, explore every room, and get 100% of the collectibles in the other Dishonored games without killing anyone, whereas with this, you can't (if you consider contracts to be objectives, of course). The contracts are the first time Dishonored has ever explicitly had goals that stipulate "kill X person" without any alternatives offered.

BraXzy

I always turn off objective waypoints so that you can explore without distractions. Good thing about their games is that they work without markers and if you explore you might even get rewarded by finding alternative routes or secret entrances and stuff.

I also wouldn't avoid killing hostiles. Getting creative with traps and going full on assassin is one of the best parts of Dishonored imo.

I played stealth at first but Im not afraid to rack up the body count once in a while if the guards become annoying or get in my way. Say if my inventory is fully stocked, Ill set some traps and use ammunition to clear out a room or so.

Playing pure stealth means you miss out on the combat which is a big part of the game.

Yeah I went pure no-kill in Dishonored with a stealth but not super strict approach. It tainted the experience a bit since I kept having issues with accidental/unnoticed death counts which I restarted to avoid.

Stealthy but deadly is gonna be my method. I'm not Corvo so why not :D

CHC

Also, yeah, markers off is the way to play Dishonored in general. I think I only have the crosshairs, the health (on auto fade), and the interaction prompts / highlights enabled. All the enemy awareness stuff is communicated through musical queues and voices, and the objectives make it clear enough where you need to go. It's not some enormous open world or anything.

Bronetta

9 hours in... Onto mission 4!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know what the enhancements are for PS4 Pro?

haikira

What's the word on the PS4 version and input latency?

The responsiveness of the base game on the PS4 was a real killer for me, and I ended up selling it and jumping to PC.

Mathi

I managed to get to mission 5 with no kills, but as soon as I
touch the eye
it says I killed someone. I tried reloading multiple times, but it didn't help, always the same result. Tried looking it up online and found out there is not even a clean hands achievement! Oh well, wish I knew that before I skipped all the kill contracts...

One of these days I have to replay this and the main game and just murder everyone.

CHC

Is there any way to break into the black market during mission 3? By the looks of it, no, but wanna make sure.

There is.

Grab the sewer door wrench, then backtrack to the street above the Black Market. There will be a door at the end of the block, below some stairs. Go in there and you can look through some bars and shoot a red button to open the market door.

On my first run I decided to just play casually to learn the maps a bit and learn the game before I go full chaos or full ghost.

Finished mission 2 the other night and so far I'm loving being back in the universe. Think I'm going to do a mission a night to play through this.

roytheone

Normally I try to do everything stealthy in this series but had to give that up for the "abduct the bartender" and "get my brother back" contracts on mission 2. I have 0 idea how you ever can do those stealthy, the bar is just way to full of people.

BeeDog

There is.

Grab the sewer door wrench, then backtrack to the street above the Black Market. There will be a door at the end of the block, below some stairs. Go in there and you can look through some bars and shoot a red button to open the market door.

Sweet, thanks!

Lijik

Finished it two nights ago, and while the ending is a little slight as it always is I really enjoyed this game. Going completely nonlethal made the moment when
Daud commends you for becoming a better person than he is
really strong. I also really loved how at the start i expected the eyeless to just be a gothy twist on the other street gangs in the series and theyd be replaced by another group, but in each mission you go deeper and deeper into their society and realize how deeply rooted they really are.

Normally I try to do everything stealthy in this series but had to give that up for the "abduct the bartender" and "get my brother back" contracts on mission 2. I have 0 idea how you ever can do those stealthy, the bar is just way to full of people.
For the brother if you choke out the people in the entrance hallway first you can displace from one corner of the bar to the other and quickly slip into the hall without anyone noticing (i mightve displaced into the hallway too? i dont remember)
For the bartender, if you can get the room riled up without being spotted (im not sure how i did this - either kidnapping the brother triggered it or someone noticed one of the unconcious bodies i left in the stairwell/front hall while i was gone) they become substantially easier to pick off one by one since people will start leaving the bar in their search

Timeaisis

Dishonored 3 we should play as
the Outsider after he loses his god powers going ham on the cult who did it to him
. Full revenge mode, knowing his knowledge of the void.

Dishonored 3 we should play as
the Outsider after he loses his god powers going ham on the cult who did it to him
. Full revenge mode, knowing his knowledge of the void.

Didn't we already do that in the
last mission? I'm pretty sure that was the home base of the Cultists.

selfnoise

Finally finished this. 16 hours on my zero kills, zero detections playthrough. I may try another much bloodier playthrough of at least the first few levels. My primary motivation is that I want to
play through the bank job without using the laudanum. Seems like it would be a fun extra challenge.

Regarding level 5, I really didn't like the structure of the level... it felt like a "point A to point B" level and not an "explore this area in the order you'd like" level. And those Envisioned are just annoying vs stealth on hard difficulty. Definitely my least favorite level.

Finally finished this. 16 hours on my zero kills, zero detections playthrough. I may try another much bloodier playthrough of at least the first few levels. My primary motivation is that I want to
play through the bank job without using the laudanum. Seems like it would be a fun extra challenge.

Regarding level 5, I really didn't like the structure of the level... it felt like a "point A to point B" level and not an "explore this area in the order you'd like" level. And those Envisioned are just annoying vs stealth on hard difficulty. Definitely my least favorite level.

It's a pain. Too many areas I wanted to explore but you just can't do so stealthily because there are cultists facing every which way patrolling all over.

Bronetta

Finished it the other day. Took 10.5 hours to finish it.

Missions 2 and 3 were my favorite. 2 for being so open with so many places to visit and variety in tackling the objectives. 3 was amazing because I love
bank heists
in games and movies, completed Mission 3 without alerting anyone while robbing every safe.

I think Mission 2 and 3 especially stand up to the best missions the series have to offer (Lady Boyle's Party, Clockwork Mansion, Crack in the Slab, etc)

After finishing the first thing I did was download Dishonored Definitive Edition. Finished Dishonored 1 and 2 at launch but never did the DLC and that's a big part of the lore with characters like Delilah Copperspoon and Billie Lurk being introduced there.

Well I completed this with no Kills, and the good ending.

Took me about 15ish hours doing mostly stealth, save-scumming, and exploring a lot, reading stuff. Things I do in these games.

Really interesting ending, and the bit with
Convincing Daud to free the outsider, thus making him human and freeing him. While the positive tone is interesting I can't help but wonder if there is a sense of ambiguity, perhaps all the Outsider wanted was a normal life, perhaps not. That said I chose the non lethal approach because I wanted to read and get a full scope of what was actually happening. In the end, I felt that perhaps freeing an unwilling sacrifice, giving him life, showing him mercy and forgiveness and taking responsibility for ones own actions, felt more fitting, more human, than the alternative.

It wasn't The Outsider that made them monsters, that made them kill for money and lord over dunwall. It was themselves, they had the option of using their powers for good. I think Corvo only further points that out, especially if you have played all these games and the DLC non-lethal.

The Outsider isn't inherently evil, he actually doesn't command people to do anything in most cases.

One could extrapolate that from the information presented, that The Outsider was just a man 500 years ago some cult turned into a monster caught between dimensions. At the core is still a man, perhaps one worth saving and I like that the game asks those kind of questions and the way both VO deliver their lines throughout this really drive home the writing which is pretty fucking good for a video game.

Rosario Dawson really does some fantastic acting as Billie Lurk, I love her VO and musings, much like Corvos in D2. Daud was great to see but what became of him was sad, in the ending I got and the cool conversation battle thing leading to it, it seemed like the more redemptive path and Daud seemed to be freed, at peace.

It also seems the worlds link to the void is severed.

Also did anyone catch that lockbox? :D Morgan Yu.

Thief-> System Shock 2 style connection, :D Thief is the past, System Shock is the future.

In Arkane's case, Dishonored 1,2,DOTO, are the past and Prey is the future. :D

It's like poetry.

Lijik

It's a pain. Too many areas I wanted to explore but you just can't do so stealthily because there are cultists facing every which way patrolling all over.
the hardest section for me was the room with the hollow projection where people are discussing delilah. Theres a lot of people concentrated and theyll cock their head one degree and suddenly spot you

there was also an area in
the void
that had a hollow furniture everyone was looking at but i couldnt figure out how to stealth over there at all. Just let it be once i checked with a friend that it wasnt required

ace22b

I managed to get to mission 5 with no kills, but as soon as I
touch the eye
it says I killed someone. I tried reloading multiple times, but it didn't help, always the same result. Tried looking it up online and found out there is not even a clean hands achievement! Oh well, wish I knew that before I skipped all the kill contracts...

You probably need to move some bodies around the courtyard. I spent way too much time killing unconscious people and seeing if kill count changed on transition.

I really enjoyed this DLC. I hope we do get another Dishonored again. Didn't go non-lethal because I wanted to get the contracts done in my first run.

I enjoyed Billie more than I thought I would. I still want another Daud story as he is still by far the best protagonist. Though I'm happy they brought back Michael Madsen to be Daud again.

Lijik

There is no "no kills" achievement, right? Or any other reward for playing that way?
theres an achievement for achieving no kills in a single mission and leaving everyone in the bank unharmed if you knock em out with sleeping gas but over the course of the whole game youre just doing it for personal satisfaction

Top Bottom