• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

Damn man, around 8 or 9ish hours since I save scum, explore, and generally play the game like it is Thief.

Anyway, this is like the Thief 3 we never got, and I'm shocked at how long the game is and I'm only at like Mission 3 or whatever the Thief II esque
Bank Job
is.

The writing continues to be fantastic in Arkanes games. Actually, everything Arkane does is incredible.

I really hope this does well because for $30 this seems like it is going to be about as long as the first game which was a $60 title. This feels to me like Dishonored 3 in everything but name.

SomTervo

What? How so? I thought they were legit.

Do you have any further information on that?

I want to support Arkane with my purchase, but I need something more to go on.

Cdkeys are fully legit in that they don't use crime to get their keys.

However iirc what they do is buy in bulk from poorer countries and other markets so each key is only like a few dollars or something - or they scum the keys from promotions and marketing (could be wrong about this).

Either way the actual amount the creators get is far less. Cdkeys are great if you're skint but since i found out about this i try to buy official.

Just finished, I loved it, the way the ending was handled really has me wondering where the series will go from here and what other continents in its fascinating world we'll get to explore.

Damn man, around 8 or 9ish hours since I save scum, explore, and generally play the game like it is Thief.

Anyway, this is like the Thief 3 we never got, and I'm shocked at how long the game is and I'm only at like Mission 3 or whatever the Thief II esque
Bank Job
is.

The writing continues to be fantastic in Arkanes games. Actually, everything Arkane does is incredible.

I really hope this does well because for $30 this seems like it is going to be about as long as the first game which was a $60 title. This feels to me like Dishonored 3 in everything but name.

The levels aren't nearly as expansive as 2's, and some are even smaller than the first game's. The first level is tiny, especially compared to Dunwall Streets, and it really shows in that one of the missions
is just a mission from Dishonored 2 with the street section cut out and a bunch of walls added

Good, but it definitely doesn't build on how good Dishonored 2's levels are to be anything like a Dishonored 3.

pots555

Bought myself this and Dishonored 2 today. I finished the second one when it first came out with Corvo but did not get around playing as Emily. It feels like a different game now. I am having so much fun. I will play Death of the Outsider right after. Good times! I love these games!

burgerdog

I just read the game has the same PROBLEM than last version of Prey. No native xinput support. That means camera stuttering when playing with controller. This decision is terrible and means I will not buy the game. Arkane, you have a good thing and decided to fuck off it.

Is that why Prey felt horrible when I tried to use a dual shock 4? I thought it was a patch that screwed things up for a while until I went back to the 360 pad and it was smooth as butter.

Timeaisis

Anyone know how to get to the
painting on the boat in
mission 3? It's a contract, but it gives me no clues whatsoever.

Mivey

Is that why Prey felt horrible when I tried to use a dual shock 4? I thought it was a patch that screwed things up for a while until I went back to the 360 pad and it was smooth as butter.
That alone can't actually explain the stuttering. I used the DS4 to actually emulate mouse on some really old PC games. You get sensitivity issues (too fast, too slow), until you get the controls just right, but Steam Controller config doesn't induce stuttering, not in my experience. I think they messed something up in that transition. (At least there is a mod that restores it, but would still be interested what went wrong there, and why they don't patch it)

So is this like... secretly reading my Dishonored 2 file?

I've just begun and Billie has
her arm
and there's a photo
of her with Stilton
. Those were things I accomplished in my last D2 playthrough.... Also, there are references to the events of D2 happening because of Emily, not Corvo. I played as Emily for that run.

Maybe it will be explained in time, but I'm.... intrigued.

It's Wale, guys.

Yep, like gunwale. Jusr finished the first mission. Some interesting changes so far!

Goddamn I love Dishonored. I've spent two hours in the second mission already and I've only just started exploring Shan Yun's house. I adore being able to play at a glacial pace, exploring every inch of these enormous, dense levels, save-scumming constantly to see all the different ways I can do everything. I want to find everything, read everything, uncover every little hidden subplot. This game is like my crack :p

lcap

Goddamn I love Dishonored. I've spent two hours in the second mission already and I've only just started exploring Shan Yun's house. I adore being able to play at a glacial pace, exploring every inch of these enormous, dense levels, save-scumming constantly to see all the different ways I can do everything. I want to find everything, read everything, uncover every little hidden subplot. This game is like my crack :p

Yeah, I love to do that, except for the save scumming part which I liberated from my addiction in Dishonored 2, I'd rather do multiple playthroughs by going through different paths and just let hell break loose whenever someone spotted me.

I've spent almost 2 hours on the first mission reading every detail and planning every move even though it looks like a mission that could be completed in 20 minutes tops.

Im on the 2nd mission and I have questions about one of the side quests....

How do you get the Mime alone to kill him? The two people near him never seem to leave. I tried stealing a coin and everybody started running, I then knocked him out and threw him in the him in the water but it still failed the mission

In the latest episode of Waypoint Radio, Patrick Klepek expresses concerns over the future of the Dishonored series (at the 30 minute mark).

It's currently sitting at #14 on the Steam global sellers chart.

In this weeks GI Show, the round table speculate about the future of Arkane in light of poor sales for Dishonored 2 and Prey.

Dishonored- maybe. But XCOM? XCOM has already sold almost 2 million copies on PC and the series always has a long tale. Plus EU had an incredibly meaty expansion so its no surprise that XCOM 2 got one as well.

Im on the 2nd mission and I have questions about one of the side quests....

How do you get the Mime alone to kill him? The two people near him never seem to leave. I tried stealing a coin and everybody started running, I then knocked him out and threw him in the him in the water but it still failed the mission

You have to throw him off of the bluff. It's the cliff past the guy fishing.

I just got Pillars of Eternity so I'm trying to take my time with that because I'm really enjoying it but I want to dive into this so bad. I'm getting hit by the Fall season super hard already.

rackham

Banned
Just wanted to say I just platinum'd Dishonored 2 about 5 minutes ago. This will probably be the next game I buy.

I still say DH2 is worse than DH1. I hope this game is as good as the first.

thenexus6

Just started the third mission, probably spent 6-7 hours so far, and hardly done any contracts or found hidden stuff. These games are always packed with stuff.

selfnoise

Completed it and it was fun. Lot easier to go HAM on it with the recharging blue bar. Makes it very liberating. Are their mods for the other games to do that?

I've really been going back and forth in my head about whether the prior games should have had a cooldown instead of mana flasks. I suspect the answer is ultimately 'yes'.

Just wanted to say I just platinum'd Dishonored 2 about 5 minutes ago. This will probably be the next game I buy.

I still say DH2 is worse than DH1. I hope this game is as good as the first.

I played and liked DH1 a lot, but then really love DH2. Went back and played DH1 and enjoyed it, and also enjoyed the Daud DLC as well.

I'm wonder what you like about DH1 more so than 2? For me, 2 felt like everything was much more refined, I loved the verticality of each level, and I also thought there were a more distinct ways to play the game. I think the story in 2, of course, is pretty weak so I get that for sure, but I thought the overall world building (lore, meta narrative, etc) was much better, so that kinda evened it out for me.

lcap

Sorry if a bit off topic, but I was looking at Arkane Austin Careers if they could hint a little bit at their next game, since I don't think they're gonna work on Dishonored again for some time and found this quite interesting:

https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1447

Online Game Engineer
Division: Arkane Studios Texas | Department: Programming | Location: Austin , TX, US

Arkane Studios is looking for an Online Game Engineer to join our team in developing AAA games for PC and consoles. The successful candidate will have expert knowledge of and experience in the design, implementation and continuing support of large scale client/server applications using primarily C++. Extensive experience developing online games is required. The ideal candidate will be passionate about technology, have excellent problem solving skills and a desire to work in a creative and collaborative environment.

I guess it makes sense, since immersive sims have been on the decline (again... sigh) I won't panic, since I trust Arkane more than almost any studio on this industry, but makes me curious to know what they would cook with online functionality.

roytheone

Man, i forgot how horrible I am at dishonored. I try to do everything stealthy so I quick load whenever i get spotted, and I think i am at around 40 quick loads already in mission 2. Game is fun though.

selfnoise

IMO the first game has a much better story and the second game has a level to level progression that feels extremely predictable. It's literally a flat narrative without meaningful twists and turns beyond the mechanics of certain levels.

That said, I prefer the level design and atmosphere in the second game and I think it's my overall favorite.

rackham

Banned
I played and liked DH1 a lot, but then really love DH2. Went back and played DH1 and enjoyed it, and also enjoyed the Daud DLC as well.

I'm wonder what you like about DH1 more so than 2? For me, 2 felt like everything was much more refined, I loved the verticality of each level, and I also thought there were a more distinct ways to play the game. I think the story in 2, of course, is pretty weak so I get that for sure, but I thought the overall world building (lore, meta narrative, etc) was much better, so that kinda evened it out for me.

Disagree with everything you said honestly. Lore, plot, environments, level design and even some gameplay all felt better in DH1. There's really not a single thing I like about DH2 more than DH1. Emily sucks as a playable character. Her Far Reach is absolute trash. The only thing I liked was Domino but whether it's there or not doesn't mean much to me.
IMO the first game has a much better story and the second game has a level to level progression that feels extremely predictable. It's literally a flat narrative without meaningful twists and turns beyond the mechanics of certain levels.

That said, I prefer the level design and atmosphere in the second game and I think it's my overall favorite.

The characters in DH2 suck. They're just not memorable. Their motivations are ridiculous and I still can't believe how bad the opening to DH2 is.

selfnoise

The other thing I don't like about D2 is that the plot felt like such a retread of the D1 DLC. It's like they went out of their way to write the least novel plot possible.

Anyway, it's still my favorite. 😁

selfnoise

How are you supposed to kidnap the bartender in the second mission if you're playing non-lethal, 100% stealth?

This was tricky.
I climbed the high wooden shelf in the center of the bar space,
knocked him unconscious with one of those shock bolts. Then once everyone calmed a bit I hauled his body into the foyer, karate chopped the door man, and left.

What's funny is the bartender is right back in the bar in mission 3.

I'd probably be giving this a 7/10. It was good but not on the same level as the 2 main games.

My main issues were:
Billie's displace felt way underpowered compared to far reach or blink - though this may just me misremembering as I haven't played any Dishonored since completing 2 when it came out.
There seemed to be a lot less verticality than in previous games, and it felt like the game was forcing me to ground level way more than previous games, which impacted my ability to be as stealthy as I'd like
The final level was ridiculously hard to be stealthy in I found, especially the latter parts. There were way too many enemies in what felt like a very restricted space - in the end I sorta gave up on stealth altogether and just went full lethal

That being said, the game was fun, and the
bank heist
was easily one of the best levels in any Dishonored game, on the same level as something like the Clockwork Mansion. Also Arkane remain fantastic writers and the story had me gripped. Really hope this isn't the end for Dishonored as I feel this wonderful series still has a lot of interesting stories to tell.

Lijik

How are you supposed to kidnap the bartender in the second mission if you're playing non-lethal, 100% stealth?
If you can find a way to rile up the room without being seen, the patrons will leave on their own which can give an opportunity to pick off the bartender. Im not really sure how I managed to do it, I came back for the bartender after smuggling out the kidnapped brother and getting him to the cabin and went to hide out in that little room you need to foresight into. I was going to plan my next move but everyone was already on alert so i just waited for a good opportunity.

shiba5

I wish I could also use Billie's normal powers in New Game+. Some trophies are seemingly impossible without Displace - namely
Quiet as a Mouse - unless there is a way to the security room that doesn't involve deactivating the wall of light that I don't know about.
In Dishonored 2 you got both Corvo's and Emily's powers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sorry if a bit off topic, but I was looking at Arkane Austin Careers if they could hint a little bit at their next game, since I don't think they're gonna work on Dishonored again for some time and found this quite interesting:

https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1447

I guess it makes sense, since immersive sims have been on the decline (again... sigh) I won't panic, since I trust Arkane more than almost any studio on this industry, but makes me curious to know what they would cook with online functionality.
Zenimax are desperate to create a big online game so I wouldn't be surprised. Just look at how they budgeted for Doom content

Dishonored's plot was pretty weak though. You just go from one person to the next killing them, and then you get hit by the most predictable betrayal ever. How was the personal bodyguard to an Empress fooled by someone spiking his drink?

I thought Dishonored 2's level design was a significant improvement, aside from Addermire. So many routes through each level even without using powers.

rackham

Banned
Dishonored's plot was pretty weak though. You just go from one person to the next killing them, and then you get hit by the most predictable betrayal ever. How was the personal bodyguard to an Empress fooled by someone spiking his drink?

I thought Dishonored 2's level design was a significant improvement, aside from Addermire. So many routes through each level even without using powers.

What do you mean? You don't have to kill anyone in Dishonored. The level design in the first game was pretty amazing. You had awesome secondary characters like Slackjaw, Granny Rags, the Pendletons, the Boyles, etc.

I don't know who any of the people in D2 are. Paolo? Overseer Byrne? Garbage characters. Even Delialah went from mysterious powerful witch to "oh poor me, I'm actually Jessamine's sister."
Then you have the Outsider who goes from mysterious powerful being to an annoying emo dude who feels the need to sit on everything while talking to you. Oh, and his backstory being so random that he goes from kid to most powerful being in the world was pretty whack.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Heh this describes my playstyle perfectly.

Im also on Mission 2. Spent over an hour just exploring and doing the contracts. I still need to figure out how to get into that exclusive club where the brother and bartender contracts are.

Phenomenal game.

This game is beautiful, if Dishonored 2 runs like this I'll have to replay it on PC as I initially went with PS4 due to the game running like ass

CHC

I feel like it's a bit of a cop out that they let you just buy the
Poppy Tincture at the regular Black Market
. The only way to buy it should be through the
auction since the time and effort that it takes kind of offsets how insanely overpowered it is in the mission itself

d00d3n

Do some contracts require you to kill people? For example, in mission 2, I am tasked with
killing the mime

selfnoise

This game is beautiful, if Dishonored 2 runs like this I'll have to replay it on PC as I initially went with PS4 due to the game running like ass

Dishonored 2 runs better than it did at launch, but there are still some sections that struggle more than anything I encountered in DOTO.

CHC

Wow - it's possible to get on the
bank roof
without using the
painter's lift
. There's some rocks by the dumpster area that you can strategically displace and double jump up.... interesting!

I'd probably be giving this a 7/10. It was good but not on the same level as the 2 main games.

My main issues were:
Billie's displace felt way underpowered compared to far reach or blink - though this may just me misremembering as I haven't played any Dishonored since completing 2 when it came out.
There seemed to be a lot less verticality than in previous games, and it felt like the game was forcing me to ground level way more than previous games, which impacted my ability to be as stealthy as I'd like
The final level was ridiculously hard to be stealthy in I found, especially the latter parts. There were way too many enemies in what felt like a very restricted space - in the end I sorta gave up on stealth altogether and just went full lethal

That being said, the game was fun, and the
bank heist
was easily one of the best levels in any Dishonored game, on the same level as something like the Clockwork Mansion. Also Arkane remain fantastic writers and the story had me gripped. Really hope this isn't the end for Dishonored as I feel this wonderful series still has a lot of interesting stories to tell.

100% agree with everything you said. I was also wondering if it was just me about displace feeling underwhelming compared to blink and far reach. Still enjoyed the game, but Dishonored 1 and 2 were GotY contenders for me while this game won't be in my top 5 for this year.

Timeaisis

Whew, just finished the
bank job
without getting seen to get that contract. That was challenging!

I do feel like the level design leaves a little too be desired. It's not bad by any stretch, but I feel like there are less options to get to places than previous games, but that could just be me. Still better than most games, though.

Top Bottom