• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

SomTervo

Wow, that's amazing value for a 16,- game (cdkeys).

Can't wait to dive in. Have to finish Prey first..

Remember that it's very likely most of the money paid to cdkeys doesn't go to the dev or publisher. If i can afford it i always go via an official platform eg Steam just to support the creators fully.

If you can't afford it otherwise it's fair enough though

SomTervo

Is it possible to play through this expansion completely WITHOUT using any of the powers that you have in the game or are you required to use them? Thanks.

People were saying this game is designed much more around the powers. DH2 was intentionally designed so you could no-power it but they clearly didn't do that for some of this.

I'd be surprised if it's impossible but it seems MUCH harder

I just dropped a bottle of flammable whiskey in through the hole. Finished the contract in one move :p
I looked for flammable fluid but couldn't find any :(

Remember that it's very likely most of the money paid to cdkeys doesn't go to the dev or publisher. If i can afford it i always go via an official platform eg Steam just to support the creators fully.

If you can't afford it otherwise it's fair enough though
What? How so? I thought they were legit.

Do you have any further information on that?

I want to support Arkane with my purchase, but I need something more to go on.

jrcbandit

What? How so? I thought they were legit.

Do you have any further information on that?

I want to support Arkane with my purchase, but I need something more to go on.
The keys are legit but they are physical keys typically from countries where they sell the game at a much lower price to combat piracy as the average family income is much much lower than US or Western European standards. I'm not sure what Greenman Gaming price is right now, but their key pricing/ discounts are typically approved by the publisher, unlike CDKeys.

v0mitg0d

Holy shit. ok.

Mission 2, contract #2: Death to The Mime.

I must have worked on this one for over two hours to get this done proper. I could kill him and basically get the job done, but couldn't make it look like an accident and get full credit...until now.

I managed to do this and recorded it because damn this game is great at making you feel like a genius when you get creative. Pretty awesome!

How did you folks do it?

https://youtu.be/2dA3Mkxl2XE

The keys are legit but they are physical keys typically from countries where they sell the game at a much lower price to combat piracy as the average family income is much much lower than US or Western European standards. I'm not sure what Greenman Gaming price is right now, but their key pricing/ discounts are typically approved by the publisher, unlike CDKeys.
Alright, but that doesn't sound that bad tbh.

I do wonder which storefront takes the smallest cut on PC.

jrcbandit

Holy shit. ok.

I must have worked on this one for over two hours to get this done proper. I could kill him and basically get the job done, but couldn't make it look like an accident and get full credit...until now.

I managed to do this and recorded it because damn this game is great at making you feel like a genius when you get creative. Pretty awesome!

How did you folks do it?

Do you know about concussion grenades or whatever the name is? They are non-lethal area effect and when upgraded, make little sound. You also have to pay to unlock them from Black market dealer. That works great for people so close together.

But when I took out the mime, he was wandering a path by himself for some reason (maybe someone scared him earlier and he reverted back to normal?), so it was easy for me. However, I did knock out all the citizens along the path to the suicide spot so there wouldn't be any witnesses.

I just dropped a bottle of flammable whiskey in through the hole. Finished the contract in one move :p

Didn't even think of that :D

I saw the oven and just figured.... gotta do it that way.

Holy shit. ok.

How did you folks do it?

I used the chloroform bottle as well +1

Conezays

Loved Dishonored 1 and 2; glad to hear this release sounds on par? Just bought it on GMG and will jump in later. Somewhat disappointing to hear Dishonored 2 and Prey seem to have underperformed; I certainly want to see Arkane continue.

Loved Dishonored 1 and 2; glad to hear this release sounds on par? Just bought it on GMG and will jump in later. Somewhat disappointing to hear Dishonored 2 and Prey seem to have underperformed; I certainly want to see Arkane continue.

Definitely not as good as 2. Level design is still solid at least, lore is a huge improvement over the previous games.

CHC

Yeah, for what it's worth I would say that any fan of Dishonored should certainly pick up this DLC ASAP, but it doesn't quite stack up to the rest of the series, at least based on my single playthrough so far.

But basically you get two really cool missions (3&5), so it's worth it for that.

How did you folks do it?

lol... the same exact way that you did!

Timeaisis

Man, guards see you in like half a second on hard. This is challenging haha.

Don't remember D2 being this tough on hard. Really seems like you must use specific powers sometimes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright, but that doesn't sound that bad tbh.

I do wonder which storefront takes the smallest cut on PC.

For some reason, many believe or suspect GOG takes less than 30%, but that's not true. The only store that does is Humble: 25% if bought from the Humble Store or 5% if bought from the Humble Gamepage/through a widget.

GavinUK86

Holy shit just finished it ghost non-lethal. Some sections took me hours to shimmy past without anybody noticing me. Did all the contracts that didn't involve killing. Got most of the bonecharms. It took me 15 hours on normal difficulty.

Such a fantastic expansion. Loved every second of it. Really looking forward to going through it again and just killing everyone and not giving a shit. Using Emily's Far Reach and Domino should make the game even more fun. And as far as the finale goes, story wise, perfect. Tied a neat bow around the entire series.

10/10 Arkane, you did it again.

Holy shit just finished it ghost non-lethal. Some sections took me hours to shimmy past without anybody noticing me. Did all the contracts that didn't involve killing. Got most of the bonecharms. It took me 15 hours on normal difficulty.

Such a fantastic expansion. Loved every second of it. Really looking forward to going through it again and just killing everyone and not giving a shit. Using Emily's Far Reach and Domino should make the game even more fun. And as far as the finale goes, story wise, perfect. Tied a neat bow around the entire series.

10/10 Arkane, you did it again.

Wow you got 15 hours out of the DLC. Its sad that youtubers just try to race to the end as fast as they can for views. The DLC's ending was on youtube the day before the game came out on lots of channels and the playtime for them was around 3-4 hours. I was disappointed in the DLC for being so short but I really should have been disappointed in the youtubers trying to get quick views.

Mifec

What's the play time for this game? Considering buying this for my birthday tomorrow but I don't know.

First run took me 9h doing all achievements. Second run took me 1h and 3 mins just rushing and blinking and skipping dialogue.

Lizardus

7.1 hours here, finished Mission 2 main objectives and now trying to get the contracts done. Doing a ghost/collect paintings,bonecharms,audiograph playthrough.

Getting
Alberto and the Bartender out of the club
without being detected is hard, need to rely on rng quite a bit.

Mifec

7.1 hours here, finished Mission 2 main objectives and now trying to get the contracts done. Doing a ghost/collect paintings,bonecharms,audiograph playthrough.

Getting
Alberto and the Bartender out of the club
without being detected is hard, need to rely on rng quite a bit.

I had him come out of the bar because I made noise, like all the way out on the street, I just closed the door and choked him out rofl.

Lizardus

I had him come out of the bar because I made noise, like all the way out on the street, I just closed the door and choked him out rofl.

Did you make a noise from outside or inside? I'm making noise from inside, got close few times too but some civilian saw me carrying his body right outside the club door.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
People are finishing the game already and Im still on Mission 1. To be fair Im juggling this with Metroid Samus Returns.

Loving what I played so far, game looke really good in PS4 Pro. You know a games a stunner when I keep stopping to take screenshots.

Mifec

Did you make a noise from outside or inside? I'm making noise from inside, got close few times too but some civilian saw me carrying his body right outside the club door.

Made noise inside while I was taking the
brother out
and when I came back for the Bartender he was coming out hahaha.

Randdalf

I'm enjoying this so much, though I'm being very clumsy since I'm not going for ghost in my first playthrough like with D2. Only finished Mission 2 and I've played for five hours!

selfnoise

There are a surprising amount of negative reviews on Steam from people who have played less than an hour. And they mostly seem to be complaining about the story. Do people really buy a game and then spoil themselves on Youtube, or did one of the developers offend a Nazi or something?

EDIT: Should say I'm 8.5 hours in and loving it.

Randdalf

The lore and world building in this series is fantastic. Every aspect seems so well fleshed out. I love the paintings you find which hint at things. For example, the one I think called "the Grey Ones", where there's this guy standing in front of a rock which these mysterious creatures creeping up on him. Or the one with the terrifying giant gorilla. There's so much cool subtle stuff going on, which makes the world feel very believable and lived in.

RedStep

Really enjoyed it, though I wish there was more to the skillset (skill purchases/upgrades instead of just equipment, etc) but it was a great time. Spent about 10 hours getting 1000/1000 on XBO - the first 9 hours or so was my initial Ghost run, then it was only a little over an hour to rush through Original Game + and collecting paintings the second time around (murdering literally everyone in my path as I sprinted through, of course).

CHC

The lore and world building in this series is fantastic. Every aspect seems so well fleshed out. I love the paintings you find which hint at things. For example, the one I think called "the Grey Ones", where there's this guy standing in front of a rock which these mysterious creatures creeping up on him. Or the one with the terrifying giant gorilla. There's so much cool subtle stuff going on, which makes the world feel very believable and lived in.

Yeah the "wide world" of Dishonored is so mysterious and primordial seeming.

I really hope they do a game set in Pandyssia, and that it's basically like MGS2 -> MGS3 style of gameplay shift.

Mifec

Yeah, well except for The Outsider change from DS1 marketing to post DS1, that's the worst part of the series for me.,

Has anyone found any alternate ways into (mission 2)
Shan Yun's vault?

Speaking of lore, the
Eye
(<- last mission doodad spoiler) was totally a
whale eye
, right?

It would have to be one giant whale, considering you get a whale eye in Knife of Dunwall and it's not even the size of a basketballl. Although it would make sense at explaining why
the Outsider is associated with whales if a previous god was a giant whale

Mr. Tibbs

In the latest episode of Waypoint Radio, Patrick Klepek expresses concerns over the future of the Dishonored series (at the 30 minute mark).

"[Bethesda] sent out early code for Death of the Outsider, which I find to be distressing as someone who enjoyed Prey and really enjoys Dishonored, because if they're sending out early code to traditional media outlets, that makes me think Dishonored did very poorly and they're worried this is going to do poorly... my running theory is that we're not getting Xcom 3, we're not getting Dishonored 3, because a lot of the interesting ideas are being dumped into these expansions."

It's currently sitting at #14 on the Steam global sellers chart.

In this weeks GI Show, the round table speculate about the future of Arkane in light of poor sales for Dishonored 2 and Prey.

Really enjoying the game thus far, currently at the start of the 4th mission and 7 1/2 hours in.

Hopefully this isn't the end of these type of games from Arkane. I've really grown to love the genre within the last 5 years.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Arkane's writers are top notch. I love reading every little lore and diary note. Billie suffers from phantom pain which she comments on in the beginning. Theres a note right after the first mission.

I thought I'd sleep easy knowing
Daud
was safe. I don't know why I'm still so foolish. I can't catch a break for a moment, not even when I sleep. I should know that by now.

This one was sharper than the rest. I could feel the blade bite into my skin when the damn Guard got me. My right eye felt hollow, an empty hole in my head that I couldn't shut, and my right arm ended in a piece of broken bone. I felt it so deep this time. I woke up shaking. Took me a while to catch my breath

Powerful stuff.

MaLDo

I just read the game has the same PROBLEM than last version of Prey. No native xinput support. That means camera stuttering when playing with controller. This decision is terrible and means I will not buy the game. Arkane, you have a good thing and decided to fuck off it.

d00d3n

I'm still on mission 2 haha. This level is huge.

How many missions are there?

Someone said
5 missions
in a previous post.

I have only played for an hour or so in the first level (obsessively checking and double checking all possibilities ofc), but the level design has been quite nice, if a bit linear compared with Dishonored 2.

Top Bottom