• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

Moofers

I posted this in the TLOU thread from last year and thought it was relevant to repost here for all the newcomers:

Multiplayer Tips for New Players

------------------------------

I've got some friends who are just getting into this and I wanted to make a beginner's guide. Feel free to add to this, as I'll just be linking the direct post in our facebook group, and I can edit in any other good advice.

-Keep in mind this is for beginners only! Eventually you will outgrow some of these tips and behaviors. This is just to help you get eased into the game.

Rules

Pretty simple. Both game modes are just about killing the other team. The only difference is that Supply Raid has you respawning after you die, where Survivors is just 4 vs 4, first team to win 4 rounds wins the match.

In Supply Raid, if you gather supplies and weapons, you'll keep them when you die. In Survivors, all items and special weapons are reset each round except the ones you buy with parts.

Basics

You earn parts for everything you do in the game. Think of parts as currency, because you buy ammo, armor, upgrades, and weapons with it during matches. There are more ways to earn parts aside from killing enemies. You can get them by making items, marking enemies (click right stick when an enemy is in your sights and your team will see them) downing enemies, healing teammates, reviving teammates, and giving gifts.

If you find that its hard to get kills at first, focus on supporting your team and crafting as many things as you can. Once you have all the perks unlocked, you can be the top scoring player in a match just by helping out the most. Teamwork is really rewarded, and I'm not just talking about flanking!

Supply Boxes are scattered around the maps and show up as a white dot on your radar. Open them up to get all the ingredients for bombs, molotovs, shivs, etc. Make these a priority in every game.

Loadouts

You won't have all your loadout points unlocked yet. You'll need to experiment with all the guns and see which ones suit your playstyle, however I recommend the semi-auto as you can down an enemy in as few as 3 hits with it. When its upgraded, its pretty accurate from long range and you can pop off several shots before reloading or running out of your starting ammo. Others may recommend the bow, but I've personally found that weapon to be a bit more difficult to use, though its stealth perks are undeniable.

As for your perks, start with First Aid 1. Why? Because you'll heal yourself much faster than you would without it. This can really be important when you get winged and you see enemies closing in on your radar.

Also try Crafter 1 and 2. Remember, ABC: Always Be Crafting! This will eventually become your most important perk when you want to keep the clan in your meta-game alive or you just want to have a lot of parts to spend each game. At first you'll just create things quicker, but once you get Level 2 unlocked, you can give a gift to your teammates for every 3 items you make. This gets you parts that you'll want to remember to spend on weapon upgrades. Make whatever you can, when you can. Don't hoard ingredients in the hopes that you'll eventually make that elusive molotov, just make what you can and go with it! You might die and lose all your ingredients if you're playing Survivors, so make that shiv and health kit beacuse that's an easy 60 parts for you right there.

Also try Covert Training. The 2nd level of this lets you hide from enemies' radar when moving while crouched. This really helps you slip in behind enemy lines when needed, or make a sneaky escape if you feel like you're in a bad spot and want to relocate.

What should I do?

Again, remember ABC: Always Be Crafting! A typical game should consist of you and the smart members of your team making their way to every available supply box on the map. Should you meet resistance at a supply box from the other team, you may want to consider hanging back and seeing what they do before you go trying to push your way in. These boxes are important because they don't just supply you with extra weapons, but sometimes they have 100 parts in them and the items you make are also netting you parts. Again, all this should be spent in the store (R1 while in your backpack) on weapon upgrades first, armor second, ammo only in a jam or when you know you're going to get into a firefight.

Make weapon upgrades a priority because once you buy one, you'll have it for the rest of the match. Armor will stick with you between lives/rounds, but it can be destroyed and you'll need to buy it again. That's why I always make it a 2nd priority over upgrading my main weapon.

LISTEN! Listen Mode is limited, unlike the campaign mode. However, its super useful and you can see enemies through walls as long as they aren't sitting still or using the Covert Training perk, which hides them as they move while crouched. Once you get a little ways from your spawn, or in the case of Supply Raid, every time you spawn, its best to listen to Lt. Dan: Shut up! Get down! Listen!

Stick with your team! Sometimes you will have idiot teammates that are just suicidal. You'll have to know better than to follow them into the frying pan. Eventually you'll want to play around with flanking on your own if you feel like you can pull it off, but the majority of the time you are best off when you have at least 1 teammate nearby who can watch your back. You never know when an enemy is going to crouch out of the dark with a shiv ready for your neck, so its good to have an extra set of eyes and firepower!

Outnumbered? Get to any surviving teammates you have, but try to keep down and quiet if possible. Sometimes you'll have to run and get organized once you're there.

Alone? Get to a supply box! Normally you'd need to make bombs/molotovs/etc. but in the event that you are the last man standing on your team, a supply box will have these ready to go! Expect 1 or 2 of each, which could be the difference between putting up a good fight and going down in flames. If you can pull it off, grab this stuff, find a spot to hunker down, and lay bombs all over the place! Then get your molotov ready to throw at the first sign of ANYTHING.

Be okay with dying! Its going to happen and it doesnt matter. Just have fun! Try supporting your team with gifts and heals, sneaking up on enemies for stealth shiv kills, or whatever you want. Play around with the different weapon loadouts and see what feels good!

Good stuff to know

Smoke bombs are good for more than just creating a cloud to hide behind. If you can smoke an enemy, they'll be stunned for a moment, allowing you to run up and shiv them from any angle, as opposed to the normal rule that they can only be shiv'd from behind. Or if you don't have a shiv, just shoot them while they're stunned!

Molotovs have crazy range! If you even SEE an enemy holding one and looking your way, get outta there! If its in the air and their aim was true, well, YouAreAlreadyDead.jpg.

Bombs work differently than in campaign. If you just press R1 with it equipped, you'll set it down and it now works like a proximity mine. If you aim with L1 and throw, it will detonate shortly after it lands. You can also spot the ones enemies have laid with Listen Mode and you can mark them for your teammates to see once you have them in your crosshairs, should you not want to blow it up for some reason.

There's no friendly fire. You can bomb yourself out of existence and accidently set yourself on fire, but your teammates will not pay the price for your bumbling.

If you die, you may want to set up for the next round by making your purchases in the store before the round starts. This kind of thing would allow you to do something wild like buy a Military Sniper Rifle and as soon as the round starts, sprint up to the equivalent of the 50 yard line and pick off your enemies by surprise!

Some people will say never craft a health kit. This is true only some of the time. Yes, they are already scattered around the maps, but you still get 30 parts for each one you make and sometimes its best to just make the damn kit and get your parts.

Last thing and I'll say this again because it bears repeating, HAVE FUN! Don't worry about dying, take it all in stride, and remember its just a game. When your corpse gets teabagged, and it will, learn to laugh about it because at some point you'll have your moment and you may be returning the favor. Hell, your whole team may be in on it if you pull off a sweep!

So enjoy. This is one of the coolest competitive multiplayer shooters to come along in a generation that has been craving innovation like this for years.

PS- Remember your ABC's!

Can't wait to get this with that GS deal (assuming its legit)! I loved the MP on PS3 but its going to be so much better on PS4 since friends of mine will actually play it. Also the DS4 is much nicer than the DS3, especially for shooters!

I skipped the MP on the PS3. By the time I decided to jump in it felt like I was way behind and it felt intimidating. Can't wait to try it out with some fellow gaffers.

PSN: ck716

Moofers

Good idea posting PSN handles. Is there a thread for that? In the meantime, feel free to add me:

PSN: UNOILLNINO

mcfrank

I never played the PS3 multiplayer, but I will be trying this. Add me if you would like as I do not have many PSN friends.

PSN: THX-NIN

zma1013

I'm jealous I don't have a PS4 right now. I will play it on my peasant PS3 for now. Great thread title, very informative for new people.

Codiox

I'm really looking forward to the game, but what makes the MP so special in comparison to other MP titles?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Can't wait!! It's been a long time since Ive played TLOU MP. Is the remastered version going to have any new maps or anything? Not sure if DLC came out for the MP on PS3 but if it did hopefully it comes with the remastered version.

PSN ID: Shuggah_Daddy

Gray Matter

Can't wait!! It's been a long time since Ive played TLOU MP. Is the remastered version going to have any new maps or anything? Not sure if DLC came out for the MP on PS3 but if it did hopefully it comes with the remastered version.

The remastered comes with all the DLC maps included

WITHE1982

I posted this in the TLOU thread from last year and thought it was relevant to repost here for all the newcomers:

Multiplayer Tips for New Players

Nice tips there. I like the ABCs... So does Alec Bladwin

7XFUxLG.jpg

Jinjo

Loved the shit out of this multi on PS3, looking forward to dat 60 fps goodness. I hope they added in little cool stuff like more customization options for your character instead of the random character model every time, but even without I'm good.

Looking forward to dunk on all the new kids lol. Despite the learning curve this game can punish dumb/risky behaviour very quickly even when experienced people (or I lol) get overconfident. Don't get tricked into rushing if your teammates are losing a firefight or want to take someone off guard. You either end up late and just lose another ticket or someone else is there to clean you up. Think before you act, this is no gears of war.

robotrock

Banned
Gonna try this out. I got pretty deep in UC2 MP before they ruined it. Couldn't stand UC3 MP and didn't even touch the MP in the The Last of Us.

bombshell

It's nearly here! Factions is the main reason I'm double dipping this game. Already completed the campaign 3 times on PS3, so the 60 fps MP is the main draw for me in this PS4 version. So good!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Is there going to be a Google Doc or something like that to make adding people easier?

I will start one later if nobody has jumped on it by then. I made one for Titanfall and it made playing games with good players much easier, and it takes little effort to do.

Hoping that the butt jokes are few and far between here. Extremely juvenile and, as said, cringe-worthy.

Nice OT by the way. Can't wait to get my hands on this next week!

Been waiting for this game ever since it was announced for PS3. My PS3 died on me and I decided to wait and hope for it to come to PS4 and here we are... one week away!

Betty

Banned
I'm really looking forward to the game, but what makes the MP so special in comparison to other MP titles?

It's more tactical and team based, there's a great deal of tension in each match and you have to constantly be planning ahead in regards to choosing when to craft and upgrade, running around like a headless chicken is the best way to get killed.

Gaz_RB

Feel free to add me, Gaz_RB, I plan on playing the multiplayer quite a bit and want to get some Gaf dudes to play with.

Marvel

could never
Some of you I have on my list already but do feel free to add me for the MP too. (I didn't play the mp on ps3)

I'm excited.

viveks86

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/22/how-the-last-of-us-remastered-enhances-multiplayer/

The Last of Us Remastered launches next week in North America. We’ll be revealing some upcoming DLC and streaming a basic introduction to the multiplayer mode, Factions, live later this week over on our Twitch channel. We plan to show off the new features for PS4 as well as give our primer for those not familiar with the mode on Thursday, July 24th at 11:30 AM Pacific and 5:30 PM Pacific.

If you can’t watch the Twitch stream, we asked Erin Daly, Lead Multiplayer Designer, and Quentin Cobb, Game Designer, a couple of questions about Factions multiplayer mode in the game. If you’re new to the world of Factions, this is a great primer. If you’re a hardened survivor with a clan that never diminishes, read on to hear about some exciting developments we were able to make in The Last of Us Remastered.

Q: What are the new features for Factions in The Last of Us Remastered?
Erin Daly: Well, first off we are running the game at 1080p and targeting 60 fps. The power of PS4 and some of our talented engineers were able to significantly improve the load times.
Quentin Cobb: On the gameplay side we made some important tweaks. The DLC map Trophies now require five downs or executions and deaths don’t matter. We added eighteen new tips for new players. If you’re a new player you’ll start with 9 loadout points instead of 8. You’ll reach the max of 13 loadout points sooner as a result. All fifteen of our maps are in each playlist so the player pool will be consolidated. This means faster matchmaking and that you will have a greater variety of maps in each playlist! There’s a lot of great new stuff.

Q: What’s your absolute favorite new feature in Factions in the Remastered edition?
Quentin Cobb: Playing with the higher fps is by far my favorite feature. This improves gameplay dramatically and makes shooting much more precise. I find that gameplay in general is much more responsive and accurate.
Erin Daly: Yeah, agreed. Playing Factions running with higher fps is awesome. Everything feels much tighter and more precise, especially when it comes to gunplay. Players are really going to like it.

Lot more at source

Stoked. I played multi on PS3 and completed 24 weeks, but none of my friends had PS3. Now my friends have PS4 so I'm pumped to finally play this game again.

potam

Banned
I remember having so much fun in the MP, but being turned off by the low frame rates.

I really should save my money, but this game is so tempting :(

Top Bottom