• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue, Okami... top ten of the WORST games according to chilean "experts"

Ushiwaka

Browsing GAF when I suddenly see this thread

Skyy-John.gif

OKAMI?! GRIM FANDANGO?! SHENMUE?! PSYCHONAUTS?!

Wolff

Worst games being Grim Fandango, Shemnue, Psychonauts, Okami?... WTF.

The uninformed media trying to talk about videogames always end up being cringeworthy with their awful and lazy research on the subjects. That got to be it 'cause there's no sane person with knowledge in gaming on this planet that would really believe that.

Kodaman

Callate gil culiao

Típico chileno

The article doesn't explain how they chose their top 10, the only indication is the note below the list: "ranking elaborated by Chilean experts Marco Bocaz and Tomás Cofré"

lol, experts

Bad list from a bad teachers from a bad university... falta que posteen al waton psx nomas...

It's not even an University, just an Institute...
Anyway, this is a very well known shitty newspaper.. if you can call it like that

PD: Lun, antro, guaton psx.. wtf.. where am I again?
Me comunican que Bachelet compraría los cartuchos de ET para regalar a los niños daminificados :rolleyes

Are we sure this isn't an April Fools edition? I really like five of those. Psychonauts, Shenmue, and Okami are definitely flawed games, but the sum of their parts create something unique and memorable that make up some of the best times I've had with a game. Grim Fandango and Pac-Man are just straight up good games. Pretty sure we should send someone from the health department to go check on their drinking water. Something is definitely up.

Maybe they're confusing worst games with commercial failures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming
Hm, this definitely would make a lot more sense. All the five games I liked from this all lost a lot of money. Maybe they're mixing commercial failures and proper bad games.

Saty

Hard to blame them regarding Okami. They probably played it for 20 minutes and abandoned it. I have no problem to say Okami has one of the worst beginning of any game i've experienced.

Wonder if ACE Team will respond to this.

televator

Looks like the experts aren't really experts.

No one plays psychonauts and Okami and says "Yup, worst thing ever." So I'd wager that they didn't play them.

N30RYU

As far as I know, this games shouldn't be near that list.

4º. Grim Fandango (LucasArts - 1998) WTF!!!
5º. Shenmue (Sega - 1999) TRIPLE WTF!!!
8º. Psychonauts (Double Fine - 2005) Ufff...
9º. Okami (Clover Studio - 2006) Just unbelievable...

Calling Grim Fandango and Shenmue some of the worst games ever made is beyond blasphemy.

Okami though, yeah that game was crap. Not the WORST, but crap nonetheless. Especially if you played the PS2 original, when the multitude of cutscenes and slow ass dialogue were unskippable.

vio

1º. ET (Atari - 1982)
2º. Pac Man (Atari - 1982) * they say it's for the lot of bugs of this version *
3º. Desert Bus (Sega - 1995)
4º. Grim Fandango (LucasArts - 1998) WTF!!!
5º. Shenmue (Sega - 1999) TRIPLE WTF!!!
6º. Daikatana (Eidos - 2000)
7º. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (Stellas Stone - 2003)
8º. Psychonauts (Double Fine - 2005) Ufff...
9º. Okami (Clover Studio - 2006) Just unbelievable...
10º. Duke Nukem Forever (Gearbox - 2011)
mp5RmrI.gif

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
This is obviously just trolling. Even if you think those games overrated, there are worse games out there from a purely technical standpoint.

elektrixx

Banned
The only one from the list I slightly care about is Shenmue, and only because of the hype at the time.

Maybe I'll finish DNF one day.

Adnor

Banned
Hard to blame them regarding Okami. They probably played it for 20 minutes and abandoned it. I have no problem to say Okami has one of the worst beginning of any game i've experienced.

Wonder if ACE Team will respond to this.

Why should they? LUN is a shitty newspaper and always has been a shitty newspaper. The only reason people read it it's because of the "faranduleo" (dunno how to translate that, basically it's the newspaper that mostly talks about the celebrities).

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm feeling some new emotional sensations after reading this list. I guess this is what rage feels like.

As groundbreaking as Shenmue was, it was still quite janky in some ways and can really test a players' patience. It's quite a polarizing game that isn't for everyone. I still give Shenmue a lot of credit for its accomplishments and ambitions, but it was not perfect... but also far from being the worst.

Desert Bus cancels itself out, IMO. This is a game that deconstructs the idea of what a video game simulator should be. It was intentionally designed to be dull and was a social satire on the monotony of real world job occupations. It was Penn and Tellers way of trolling the player, which was the entire point of their cancelled Sega CD game Smoke and Mirrors.

Grim Fandango is just wrong. I have never played Okami or Psychonauts, so I cannot comment on those.

Big Rigs deserves to be there. People call this a list of commercial failures, but Big Rigs was an unfinished piece of shovelware with misleading packaging that somehow managed to sell more than it should have. Truly a game worthy of any worst of list.

Pac-Man on the 2600 was not a fault of inferior hardware, the developer who ported the game just didn't give a shit and half assed development intentionally. This was the real downfall of Atari, as it was one of the most anticipated games of 1982 that was met with universal disappointment. This game was bad and deserves to be on any worst of list.

E.T. was an ill conceived cash grab. I can't blame the developer for how it turned out, given its limited development time. It's not the worst 2600 game ever, there are far far worse on the console. But it represents what can be so wrong with the game industry.

Duke Nukem Forever and Daikatana are almost cut from the same cloth, games that were either too ambitious or lacked strong direction to make them work. I would put Aliens: Colonial Marines in this category too... but neither DNF or Daikatana tried to fool costumers with fake gameplay trailers like Colonial Marines did. Jurassic Park: Trespasser was another highly ambitious project that missed its target with a rushed development time. The game was groundbreaking in some ways and a failure in others.

Dr. Buni

Lol @ Grim Fandango and Okami in the list. I don't even... Okami is not a masterpiece, but it is a damn great game.

SgtCobra

Desert Bus? More like Dessert bus, the game is sweet. Chile pls. You just can't handle the realism and top notch accurate simulation this game has.

Pretty bad list overall tbh.

Daedardus

Well, Shenmue, Okami, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts were all commercial failures with respect to their budgets. Seems like they did some wrong google search in Spanish and went with that list.

Eusis

Maybe they're confusing worst games with commercial failures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming
I still question Okami there, stuff like that really depends on the monetary return versus investment and Okami certainly didn't seem to have the development hell or presentation values that made BioShock Infinite a seeming failure despite selling millions. I think it was just bad timing for a studio closure that drew more attention to the game with people trying to figure out WHY Clover got shutdown like that, at most it flopped in Japan but not outside of it. The Guinness award too, though at the time of the list I wander if Demon's Souls was a better fit?

Sakujou

Banned
just holy shit.

seriously. iam baffled.

i hope they go bankrupt just for coming up with shit like this.

what is wrong with some newspapers these days???

Eusis

Lol what a GIF. Sums up my reaction perfectly. Astonishing mix of the correct with the wildly indefensible (even allowing for "opinions").
Yeah, opinions only go so far and none of those four belong on that list by any sane metric, even with the commercial angle you don't mix it up like that. I didn't care much for Shenmue at least when I initially played it and it has no place there.

Top Bottom