• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue, Okami... top ten of the WORST games according to chilean "experts"

maltrain

Guys, don't made a big deal about this
This newspaper has a whole record of tendentious news
is a shame of news and newspaper, and is a shame that a follow gafer come here to post it (especially when he should know the reputation of that newspaper)

EDIT: Professor of History of Gaming
i mean come on

Same bad reputation as Kotaku, Polygon or other sites and I see a lot of threads from those sites here... this is a topic of conversation in a forum just like any other. Period.

Boney

Banned
Okami? Psychonauts? Shenmue? Grim Fandango?

Chile

Chile come here I wanna give you something

iMqv4OKTKhorc.gif
Please don't hate us :<

Nimby

Banned
All those games under-preformed in sales didn't they? I know Okami did, and Shenmue had a massive budget, don't know about Psychonauts or Fandango. Is that what they are referring too?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
All those games under-preformed in sales didn't they? I know Okami did, and Shenmue had a massive budget, don't know about Psychonauts or Fandango. Is that what they are referring too?

This is the only reasonable thing I can think of to make any sense out of this. Games that were massive failures in the sense of meeting sales goals, but I'm pretty sure ET actually did sell really well. They just went silly and made way too many cartridges and invested too much into it for whatever reason.

Ghost King

Neo Member
They aren't "two random guys", they teach videogames to future devs...

Yes, but those careers are new, I don't know how is the situation now, but those careers didn't even have true devs teaching so there is that. The devs here were in talks to try and fix those careers because the "future devs" didn't knew anything useful when they finished their courses and because of that the time spent there was in vain. That's why I'm saying that they are just two random guys (as they just were random guys that the establishments hire to do something that didn't exist). And... you just can't compare Okami or the Tim Schafer with big rigs.. they just mistook bad games with bad sales, there are soo much bad games that could have been there.

cLOUDo

Same bad reputation as Kotaku, Polygon or other VIDEOGAMES sites and I see a lot of threads from those sites here... this is a topic of conversation in a forum just like any other. Period.

or Reddit or any from the banned sites on gaf, oh wait...

Just coming back from punching out Chile from a map I own (not really)
What is wrong with these people

Okami I love Okami.

Nice one
Okami I love Okami because I get to play as an Okami and it feels great and just mindlessly running around in those gorgeous fields with trails of flowers and an amazing running animation while amazing music playing is Okami tier by itself

Fbh

Could be.

But nothing in the article mentions sales. They mostly talk about some of the games in the list (they don't mention all of them) being bad because they had tons of bugs or were just boring

Also... I know stuff like Shenmue or Grim Fandango were not mega best sellers.
But I'm quite sure they sold more than Big Rigs

Fandangox

Translated the text visible on the side of image at the OP. Sorry for any errors, not familiar with Chilean-specific words.

"I have a pocket full of coins and I am going to the flippers (arcades?) I am going to take everything I found" This is what Buckner & Garcia (creators?) of the forgotten hit "Pac-Man Fever) were singing. Like the character from the song Millions around the world gathered coins (quarters would be accurate I guess) to the halls of the flippers and wasted what they did not have to shake(???) the famous ninth key.

This was so popular that in EE.UU there was for a few months a "quarter crisis" since an important percentage of them got stuck in the machines.

The companies of home video games (consoles? They use "caseras" which means homemade) tried to take advantage of anyone who suffered this fever. This started a ferocious race to crank up any type of arcade franchise (what they call this games)
[that previous sentence its actually in parenthesis in the article] to take advantage of the golden egg goose. (or chicken or whatever) Until the system collapsed in what's called "The videogame crash of 1983"

This crash happened under the poor quality of the existing products for the dominant console of the industry (Atari)[*] It was then very hard to to find information about these products: Basically one would be playing the lottery every time they bought one.
This ended up making it so the main buyers of video games -the children's parents- get bored (yes bored) of this abuses. "Stop buying these things" (Its the most accurate translation I could get of whatever that was) explains to LUN Tomas Cofre, professor
of Video game History at the ARCOS institute.

Marco Bocaz, principal of Escuela de Multimedia de la U. of the pacific adds: "I don't think its easy to determine why the executives of the company decided to bury the copies of E.T in the Nuevo Mexico desert. Someone could argue it was an excelent idea to give a dignified burring to one of the worst games in all of history. But without any doubts, one of the main factors to eliminate miles of cartridges was the necessity to not augment the losses by incorporating storage costs"

THE WORST ONES

In the lists of the most boring videogames in history you can always find "Desert Bus" [redacted] Game that consisted in driving a micro from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada. (The US version was from "Tongoy y Los Vilos")[*] to a maximum of 45 miles per hour, without any curves, or obstacles. Basically, 8 hours of nothing. "In reality, Desert Bus was never launched to the market - it was part of a minigame pack- and was created with the intention of being the most boring thing possible" Explains Cofre.

Another of the horrors is "Journey (1983)" launched by Bally Midway due to the success of the band and their hits "Escape" and "Frontiers" The game consisted in helping the members of the band to find their instruments, without any other intent behind it but to be a bad copyof what one would play on the flippers (what the fuck are flippers) It was a total failure.

Cofre adds to the list "Big Ricks: Over the Road Racing": "A game of driving trucks that was so badly done that the player could hit reverse to the point where they would surpass the speed of light", indicated the expert.

Finally, Cofre y Bocaz coinciding in mentioning a Pac-Man of Atari in the decade of the 80's, due to the big amount of bugs the game had.

kejigoto

Banned
I completely understand not liking some games but to call some of these the worst games of all time is beyond laughable. Heck Duke Nukem Forever doesn't even belong on the list, it wasn't a good game but it was a far cry from some of the crap I've played over the years.

If one of these "experts" were a teacher of mine I'd probably drop the class because it seems like they don't have the faintest idea what they are talking. It's like they took several obvious choices (ET, Daikatana, Big Rigs) and then filled the list with popular games they knew would get attention the world over.

Just because you don't find a game entertaining doesn't mean it is a terribly made game, just means its not for you. While I don't enjoy games like God of War or Ninja Gaiden I can still appreciate them for what they are.

Over half this list is just baffling and completely idiotic choices.

Fandangox

This is the only reasonable thing I can think of to make any sense out of this. Games that were massive failures in the sense of meeting sales goals, but I'm pretty sure ET actually did sell really well. They just went silly and made way too many cartridges and invested too much into it for whatever reason.

Maybe they're confusing worst games with commercial failures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming

This sort of makes sense, considering the first half of what its seen on the page talks in context of the video game crash and commercial failures of videogames, but then the second half talks about "boring" video game lists and 2 of the 10 games on the list are mentioned in that page.

So could be whatever.

PranooY

Okami, Grim Fandago and Shenmue are awesome.
You drunk, chilean magazine?

Okami is one of my favorite games ever. So your taste suck, chilean magazine.

cLOUDo

You are misquoting me? Well... classy from you.

And Kotaku or Polygon aren't banned on GAF so I don't know that the hell are you talking about...

(!?)
it's sarcasm
is means that you don't see a thread from any banned sites or any news from sites like reddit and consider it a "good reference".
Like i said, LUN have a awkward record of tendencious news and even is not a Videogame newspaper and is not a good reference even if has two "experts" in the topic.

Uhm, ok. Thanks for the non-news.

Just coming back from punching out Chile from a map I own (not really)
What is wrong with these people

What do you mean "these people"?

alg_robertdowneyjr.jpg

Maybe they're confusing worst games with commercial failures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming

CTRL+F psychonauts, okami

Yup, there you go. We don't have bad taste in gaming. We have dumb as fuck journalists.

Guys, don't made a big deal about this
This newspaper has a whole record of tendentious news
is a shame of news and newspaper, and is a shame that a follow gafer come here to post it (especially when he should know the reputation of that newspaper)

EDIT: Professor of History of Gaming
i mean come on

Callate gil culiao

*kisses*

nmanma

elantro.cl is the only Chilean forum I know, and the reactions to this article there were as bad as in this thread, so I think it's just those two guys

Reading the article, when they talk about specific games they don't talk about sales but about other issues they had (like being boring or buggy). The only part that could be taken as considering sales imo is when they talk about Journey: after they explain the concept and how it was "a poor copy of what was played in the arcades", they say the game was a definite failure

The article doesn't explain how they chose their top 10, the only indication is the note below the list: "ranking elaborated by Chilean experts Marco Bocaz and Tomás Cofré"

Oh well, at least I learned about the ninth key pattern in pacman, so I can't be too angry with the article

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The only good game on the list is Shenmue...IMO.....people have different tastes.

kevin1025

Banned
Good to see two of my top 10 favorite games, Okami and Psychonauts, are on a top ten list of...wait, what? I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but WORST games? Clearly they have not played Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

Kidding. But there are countless worse games in the world.

Damaniel

Banned
Two experts? It's like one came up with their five favorite games, and one came up with their five least favorite, and the result got put into a single list.

There's no other way that anyone could blunder a 'worst games ever' list so badly.

mcz117chief

Well, I don't like Okami either, but there are hundreds of worse games for sure (although I did enjoy Rambo: The Video Game more than Okami, since I atleast finished Rambo :D )

Top Bottom