• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
flamedemon1yuec.png

Flame Demon was pretty easy as well, as outside of inflicting Panic there isn't much that's really dangerous to a party of Protectors. Shield Rush again not only makes its attacks even easier to tank, but kills the gels with ease, and is quick to activate to boot. Kingly Fire is very telegraphed so it's barely a factor.

tuffy

I saw EO V in my Amazon recommendations this morning and put in an order for it, sheepishly thinking that I'd missed the release date announcement in all the E3 commotion.

November 30th is a Thursday though, so that's probably not the actual release date. All the recent entries have been typical Tuesday releases.

EO1U is so fun, oh dear. I failed to hop off the metro on time twice last week because I was so engulfed by the game. I had to take the metro back to the station I should have hopped of.

When I started EO2U Story Mode I was expecting Arianna to be the heroine but so far it's clearly Flavio who is the main heroine of this game.

I mean Arianna is adorable and all but...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
flamedemon1yuec.png

Flame Demon was pretty easy as well, as outside of inflicting Panic there isn't much that's really dangerous to a party of Protectors. Shield Rush again not only makes its attacks even easier to tank, but kills the gels with ease, and is quick to activate to boot. Kingly Fire is very telegraphed so it's barely a factor.

lol awesome PT

Not sure if I like the name Rover, but Hound isn't that much better anyway. Ranger would be a little to generic I guess.

I had figured they used the name Hound in the JP one due to how the hound breed is used to track or chase prey.

Rover sounds more like someone who wanders around aimlessly lol. Or someone who didnt have a better idea for a dogs name.

---

All this talk reminds me I need to get back to EOV. Though still think its packed up in one of the boxes here somewhere. D: Want to finish it before Mystery Dungeon 2 arrives.

Have not been keeping up with the localization news, but is Atlus doing the massive LE for the West too like what Japan got?

Zweizer

Banned
scylla2iu6x.png

Scylla was surprisingly easy. I kinda regret bashing her with the ice blocks beforehand. Bizarrely enough, she never threw Lullaby at my party during the fight, and the tentacles never stick around long enough thanks to Shield Rush (again), which meant Cry Soul didn't do jack shit, and Ice Shave never did nearly enough damage to be dangerous. Either way, I'm kinda glad I didn't struggle against her as much as I did during my first run.

omlet

All this talk reminds me I need to get back to EOV. Though still think its packed up in one of the boxes here somewhere. D: Want to finish it before Mystery Dungeon 2 arrives.

Have not been keeping up with the localization news, but is Atlus doing the massive LE for the West too like what Japan got?

I haven't heard. I hope we at least get the little cd/booklet with the outer box for the first press edition so it matches up with my other EO games on my shelf. Would be really annoying for EOV to be the odd one out.

Parakeetman

Actually, what is JP GAF's opinion on EO5?

Its pretty damned solid. Although for me didnt like the music as much as older titles for some reason. Might just be the areas I was in perhaps as it very well could turn awesome later in the game.

I haven't heard. I hope we at least get the little cd/booklet with the outer box for the first press edition so it matches up with my other EO games on my shelf. Would be really annoying for EOV to be the odd one out.

Thats a shame since it was a pretty awesome not to mention HUGE LE. Think a lot of that had to do with the artbook it had inside of it.

Am curious if the Mystery Dungeon 2 one will be the same size as the tiny ass picture of the LE I saw made it look like the same sorta box. Honestly surprised that they are doing a LE for the 2nd game. Must have meant that the first one sold over expectations for them to be putting in the extra effort with a nice LE?

Parakeetman

apologies on the DP. D:

Was supposed to cnp this and re-edit the post above. Wish this forums had the automated post combining if another post is done by the same user within a specified time limit.

Coeurl
is giving me problems. His sleep spell makes the fight extremely rough if Simon is affected. I can't get the sleeping characters to defend on time for the all out attack. I'll see if I can find some anti-sleep gear.

Zweizer

Banned
harpuiazmuze.png

Ailments are my party's Achilles' heel, and Shrill Cry was a massive pain to deal with. Had to eat the Fear resistance dish to prevent getting incapacited, as most of my party didn't upgrade Armor of Light. Fortunately Harpuia is not too powerful otherwise.

Zweizer

Banned
Nah, the back row is more defense-oriented with Front/Rear Guard maxed out, and Line Cure/Heal Guard. The front row maxed out Shield Smite and Shield Rush instead.

pbayne

Question about eou2

At the end of the third stratum and twice got one shoted by the boss using a burst or something. Like full health to zero in 2 seconds lol. Do i just need a protector or something to take the hit?

Current team is Ronin/War Magus
Sovereign//Hexer/Gunner.

I know the team needs re balancing and there is a good bit of overlap between them.

Zweizer

Banned
Terrible remembering names.
The gunner and war magus tag team.

Basically once they trigger Force Boost (when their health is in the red, or automatically once their teammate is defeated), they'll go Force Break on the third turn, which will always be lethal. You can either time it so that you kill both of them before the Break happens, or you bring a Protector/Beast and counter with their own Force Break.

pbayne

Basically once they trigger Force Boost (when their health is in the red, or automatically once their teammate is defeated), they'll go Force Break on the third turn, which will always be lethal. You can either time it so that you kill both of them before the Break happens, or you bring a Protector/Beast and counter with their own Force Break.

Cheers

Zweizer

Banned
juggernautxssgz.png

Well that was that. In order to avoid a complete blowout like against Scylla, I decided to fight Juggernaut without sending any bomb at it, meaning it was at full strength, an entire 72000 HP of it. Fortunately, Berserk Cry was very helpful at speeding up the fight, and since I had 5 Perfect Defense to throw at it, I chose to let it stick. Shield Rush again made the rest of its attacks easy to endure, and removes Berserk Cry as well, so the only thing I had to watch out was Putrid Breath. Still, even with the massive buff it threw at my party, the fight was arduously long and I ran out of TP on most of my party as it fell. All in all, a fun and reasonably challenging battle.

juggernautxssgz.png

Well that was that. In order to avoid a complete blowout like against Scylla, I decided to fight Juggernaut without sending any bomb at it, meaning it was at full strength, an entire 72000 HP of it. Fortunately, Berserk Cry was very helpful at speeding up the fight, and since I had 5 Perfect Defense to throw at it, I chose to let it stick. Shield Rush again made the rest of its attacks easy to endure, and removes Berserk Cry as well, so the only thing I had to watch out was Putrid Breath. Still, even with the massive buff it threw at my party, the fight was arduously long and I ran out of TP on most of my party as it fell. All in all, a fun and reasonably challenging battle.

I feel like you are having an easier time with this party than any "well balanced" party I've ever made. Guess I never considered the value in large amounts of damage reduction.

Zweizer

Banned
I feel like you are having an easier time with this party than any "well balanced" party I've ever made. Guess I never considered the value in large amounts of damage reduction.

Well I also had the benefit of being familiar with each boss' strategy beforehand, lol. Still, going through random encounters is kind of a chore with this party, and they run out of TP rather quick during exploration.

Zweizer

Banned
Since I've beaten all the Stratum bosses, bonus bosses are next!

golem58sg2.png

Golem was a piece of cake, as not only is Shield Rush handy to only leave it one Power of Stone buff, but Shield Smite sometimes inflicts Arm Bind on it. With only one Power of Stone buff, none of its attacks are particularily dangerous, so the fight was a breeze where my party slowly and leisurely bashed it to death.

wyvernfes22.png

I went into the fight without remembering that none of my party had Volt Wall above level 1. Oops. It essentially meant that every few turns Wyvern could one-shot one of my poor Protectors. Aside from that, Wing Talon also did a ton of damage, usually killing anyone who didn't have 80%+ of her health. Fortunately, Wyvern didn't have any party-wide attacks, so although it was a bit of a struggle, I still managed to pull through in the end and defeated it on my first attempt.

salamander8ash4.png

I first went into the fight without checking whether it had a pattern first, which got me promptly destroyed by Hellfire Breath on turn 2. I got my revenge on my second attempt however, as outside of Hellfire Breath my party could shrug off the rest of its regular attacks just fine. The Baby Salamanders were somewhat annoying, but having five Perfect Defense at my disposal meant the Hellfire Breath turns weren't anything more dangerous, so I largely ignored them.

Gonna grind for the Dragons next!

pbayne

eou2. Finally re-jiggered my team and beat Syclla handily enough.
Going for a more straightforward chaser+buff team working out a lot better.

Zweizer

Banned
Did some DLC bosses as a warm-up before the Dragons. However, since my party was fully leveled and retired, they didn't pose much of a threat.

masterbirdlcs83.png

We start with Master Bird, who wasn't too dangerous because only Crimson Cyclone can deal some substantial damage to the entire party, and it's pretty telegraphed. It meant that my party could tank the rest of his attacks willy-nilly. Probably not too fair to go against him with a party of five, heh.

frostkingbpsu2.png

Another fairly telegraphed boss. Its armor is annoying, but since none of his non-ice attacks are dangerous, my frontline Protectors were free to wail on him at their leisure, and the random Arm Bind from Shield Smite is always appreciated.

thunderqueentlsxi.png

Far more annoying than the other two bosses. All of her attacks hit multiple targets, and the Volt ones are pretty dangerous. Still, having one of the back Protectors using Volt Wall every other turn was enough to make the fight fairly smooth. Since Volt Arrow is pretty predictable, it's not hard to use Perfect Defense to counter it and any other attack she'd mix it up with.

Zweizer

Banned
Uh wow that's a ton of grinding. I forget if EOU2 tells you your playtime, but do you know it?

It's actually pretty quick to grind with Picnic mode and Yggdrasil Clover Tea. I'm currently at around 80 hours for my Classic save, up from 50 hours when I started this party.

MrDoctor

finally cleared EOIV; turns out my strategy was sound, but aoe magic hurts a lot when underleveled

felt real satisfying, too -- things were getting dire at that last bit of health before the "weak point"

Zweizer

Banned
Here be dragons, and some guy.

stormemperorxmsjl.png

The Storm Emperor was definitely the easiest of the trio, as it had the least health. It's still rather annoying with the various ailments it inflicts almost incessantly though, with Corrupting Howl, Judgement and Binding Dance, it's far more effective to be preventative than reactive, so I had to keep up Armor of Light at all times on my whole party (which is pretty easy to do since anyone can do Front Guard/Volt Wall duty). Outside of that, it's rather unremarkeable, and its core thankfully doesn't have much health, so the fight was relatively quick for a party composed of tanks.

blizzardking6hs77.png

Probably my most hated of the lot. Mirror Shield is ass, and though it's not supposed to use it if it didn't take too much damage within a turn, there's still random occurences which can throw a big wench into the battle. Wail is also somewhat annoying, but Armor of Light is good enough to ward it off 80% of the time. After several unsuccessful attempts due to random Mirror Shield, I had to resort to playing the long game and sticking to attacking it during Ice Breath turns. One thought I had during the fight was that I should've brought a War Response Grimoire to counter Cold Regen. Ultimately, Blizzard King isn't that hard outside of Shield Mirror.

greatdragon1csl9.png

Resonant Roar is supremely annoying, so I had to eat the anti-Panic dish to avoid dragging out the fight for too long, as its huge HP reserves meant that having to constantly keep up Armor of Light would drain my TP reserves too quickly. 72000 HP is as much as Juggernaut, though it's not kind enough to throw you a big attack buff to speed up the fight. Its other skills aren't too dangerous: Wyrm Quake can be annoying with Stun, but don't deal too much damage otherwise; Dragon Claw only targets one character, so I usually have 4 others to fall back to for the Shield skills, and Dragonic Fury is always neutered by Shield Rush.

The Great Dragon's biggest difficulty factor remains its mammoth HP, which isn't helped by the fact that its Core also has great durability: 13000 HP. After a few attempts at trying to destroy the Core, which dragged out the fight to 'screw that, I'm not throwing more than five Amrita II at you' levels, I decided to just wing it and ignore the Core altogether. This basically meant that there would always be at least one character keeping up a Fire Wall at all times, but hey, beats having to fight what's essentially 111000 HP and beyond. It's still pretty impressive to see my party absorb 200+ HP off a Resonant Fire during the later turns, lol.

hecabes2m.png

Hey, it's some dude that the Overlord apparently hates. Anyways, Hecatoncheires was reasonably challenging, but nowhere near Great Dragon, or even Blizzard King's level. Hellish Wail is generally prevented pretty reliably by Armor of Light, and even if it sticks, my Protectors can generally tank most of his skills at least once even at half HP. Since he doesn't really have any other dangerous skills outside of Colossal Meteor, which has piss-poor accuracy, I just generally kept my party in good health while chipping away at him. If he maanges to stick Leg Bind on my Protectors, Perfect Defense is always good in a pinch, and even without it, a Protector at full health plus Front/Rear Guard can survive it.

That's about it for the bonus bosses! I might attempt Ur-Child if I can work out the motivation, but I'm definitely not touching Ur-Devil with this party, lol.

I'm currently enjoying EO4, rocking a Landsknecht/Nightseeker/Protecter/Medic/Runemaster party. The only EO game I tried before was the first one on the DS and I didn't get far in it, although I played SMT Strange Journey and Persona Q and really liked them both.

pbayne

Cleared all the stratums in eou2. Feel done with it, no real desire to do the post-game stuff cause im feeling a bit burnt out. Now just looking forward to eo5.

I downloaded the demo for EO2 Fafnir Knight on a whim and am loving it, question: If I buy the game does the demo's save file carry over to the full game?

Zweizer

Banned
Didn't try Ur-Child yet, but I did do some other challenges:

anomalocaris7usxq.png

Anomalocaris is a jerk. It has a huge HP pool, and both of its attacks are a pain to deal with. Snaring Tentacle drains quite a lot of TP, which already isn't plentiful on any of my Protectors, but the worst is Greed, which somehow always scores at least one kill, meaning for most of the fight I'm wasting time trying to revive the victims. Ultimately, I had to eat the Instant Death Resistance dish, which made it much more manageable.

solomasterbird20snr.png

Yeah, uh, let's never do that again.

Solo Master Bird took a lot of tries. Firstly while he's not too dangerous with a full party, most of his attacks being single-target, he becomes much more difficult solo, as these single-target attacks hurt pretty bad, even for a Protector.

I firstly had to add a High Regen Grimoire, which while active, works wonderfully well with Healing Rhythm to tank all of his single-target hits. Chi Burst is annoying with the Paralysis, but ultimately it rarely lasts more than a turn, so it's not too big of a factor. Dread Stare's Fear is more troublesome, but fortunately he doesn't use it frequentely until later in the fight. Phoenix Strike does about the same damage as Chi Burst, but without any side-effects, so it's pretty much a free turn.

The biggest issue I had against him was trying to survive Crimson Cyclone. The first attempt with Fire Mist + Defend was good for up to 2 turns, but not three continuous uses. Another attempt with Protection Vow on top similarly ended in failure, as the toughest hurdle was when his health is in the red, where he pretty much spams Crimson Cyclone between Chi Burst and Dread Stare, which leaves me no room to breathe for both attacking him and healing myself, and it takes only for Paralysis/Fear to kick in and I'd be screwed.

Ultimately I had to resign myself to equipping the Dragon Orb, which turns Crimson Cyclone into free turns. With that, High Regen, Shield Rush, and Healing Rhythm, the fight became a breeze. A long breeze, but a breeze nevertheless.

shinydinogator7ssgj.png

Let's never do that again (bis).

For all the fear it inspires, the Shiny Dinogator took surprisingly few tries. During the first attempt the fight went actually pretty smoothly, as my party could survive Playful Bite two times in a row, and I never risked binding it for it to trigger Frolic. It was basically pretty smooth up until it hit around 1/3 of its HP, at which Pout promptly destroyed my party, killing two of my frontline Protectors. I still managed to revive them and get my party more or less in shape, but it meant I wasted several turns and Perfect Defense, during which it only became stronger ('cuz it was Shiny, hah), and I failed to kill it before I ran out of Perfect Defenses to ward off Pout.

During the second attempt, I kept a closer eye on its HP bar, and luckily used the first Perfect Defense exactly when it first started using Pout. I wasted the second one to a Frolic, which miraculously didn't bind most of my party's arms, meaning I could keep attacking it and using Shild skills. For the rest of the fight I used the three remaining Perfect Defense every two turns, betting on the hope that it wouldn't use Pout twice in a row, and that most of my party would survive it once. Ultimately, I managed to fell it on my second try, just as I used the last Perfect Defense.

Top Bottom