• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

munster

Neo Member
For a switch revision, I'd want a Tegra x2 chipset, and Samsung's new mobile flash storage, that they just announced for mobile devices. It's low powered, high capacity 128gb+ and offers speeds close to SSDs.

Reduced bezel size would be good, but without compromising the switch chassis strength. Not sure a bump is resolution would work, without an increased battery. Maybe start looking at new battery tech, that can provide more capacity for similar space. The kickstand, really needs to be the whole length of the switch. I agree that the bottom ports should be moved to the top.

It seems that way if you take a look at Nvidia's spec comparison sheet between the Jetson Tegra X1 and the Jetson Tegra X2, with the exception of the addition of Denver 2 alongside the A57 in the CPU side, more memory bandwidth, more eMMC memory, better video encoding, and newer I/O ports.

More memory bandwidth and more eMMC memory are the most relevant changes. The X2 still uses the same quad A57 as the Tegra X1 for all the grunt work.

I would want to see quad A72 and 7nm for the Switch XL. With those changes you get both double the performance and three times the battery life.

The A72 is the successor to the A57 that gets both better battery life and more performance.

I Would give anything to have a Tegra X2 for Nintendo Switch. Nintendo should offer that as a midgrade jump.
I actually don't think the Tegra X2 will offer that much of an improvement over the X1. 20nm vs 16nm. 7nm is the hot chip size now and the jump from 20 to 7 would be a generational leap.

Dakhil

I actually don't think the Tegra X2 will offer that much of an improvement over the X1. 20nm vs 16nm. 7nm is the hot chip size now and the jump from 20 to 7 would be a generational leap.

I think it'd take a long while before Nintendo uses a 7 nm SoC for the Nintendo Switch revision since I imagine it'd be quite expensive to manufacture a SoC at a 7 nm fabrication process since the first mobile device rumoured to be using a 7 nm SoC (which is the Samsung Galaxy Note 9) is rumoured to be released around late 2018 or earlier.

And Nvidia hasn't made the jump from a 16 nm to a 10 nm or a 7 nm fabrication process for their Tegra SoCs (though I think they should).

In terms of specs. It's would be very noticable. For the same power draw as X1's 20nm, we're getting
-1.5x the GPU(GFLOPS),
-2X the CPU(Denver cores would help a lot and make it equal to PS4 at least),
-2X the amount of RAM(4GB to 8GB),
-and a little over 2X the amount of bandwidth as well(25GB/s vs 58GB/s).

Or it could have twice the energy efficiency/power draw as the x1 with the same cpu and gpu clockspeeds. It would close the distance with Xbone specs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get:
-Odyssey and Botw from 900p to 1080p with even more stable framerate
-Xenoverse 2 with 1080p docked, 720p handheld and 60fps for all modes. It would miss the anti-aliasing of PS4 version.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 60fps for 3-4 players
-60fps for RE Revelations and 60fps unlocked for RE Revelations 2
-720p native(or 900p adaptive) for docked mode and 720p adaptive for handheld for DOOM with 60fps, with some added effects closer to xbone/ps4
-900p docked and 720p handheld for xenoblade chronicles 2, with significantly more stable framerate. Resolution may be adaptive.
-900p docked/720p handheld native for rocket league with some better effectss
to name a few

Buut.. 16nm is relatively outdated for 2017 for a handheld(x-box one x is using 16nm, but that's for a home console), and current flagship mobile phones right now are using 10nm. I do agree that the Switch iteration should use something in the 7nm to 10nm, which is doable 2 years from now.

We could have something like Xavier where it would have 2x the power as X2(or 3x the current x1/switch). Handheld mode would at least be as powerful as current switch docked mode, and docked mode would be above Xbone in GPU and trading blows with PS4. If we have 1.5 TFLOPS(and not the locked at 80% thing due to over heating), the newer architecture should make it more powerful than PS4 in GPU/graphics. Current xavier is speculated to be at 16nm, but I'm sure they'll downsize it to 10nm or w/e.

I think it'd take a long while before Nintendo uses a 7 nm SoC for the Nintendo Switch revision since I imagine it'd be quite expensive to manufacture a SoC at a 7 nm fabrication process since the first mobile device rumoured to be using a 7 nm SoC (which is the Samsung Galaxy Note 9) is rumoured to be released around late 2018 or earlier.

And Nvidia hasn't made the jump from a 16 nm to a 10 nm or a 7 nm fabrication process for their Tegra SoCs (though I think they should).

We may not know about what Nvidia is planning around 7nm+ but they most certainly have a 7nm+ version of Tegra planned internally. Nintendo should be (and likely already is) working with them to make sure the next Switch factors into these plans.

It'll never happen but I'd like a 3D screen in the Switch and patches for all of the first party Nintendo titles to take advantage of it. BotW would be amazing in stereoscopic 3D.

It'll never happen but I'd like a 3D screen in the Switch and patches for all of the first party Nintendo titles to take advantage of it. BotW would be amazing in stereoscopic 3D.

The only way I would want that is if the Switch has a 1440p screen and can thus support 720p glassless 3D like the 3DS

Barring that, I would not be willing to sacrifice resolution for 3D.

The only way I would want that is if the Switch has a 1440p screen and can thus support 720p glassless 3D like the 3DS

Barring that, I would not be willing to sacrifice resolution for 3D.

1440p or 720p stereoscopic 3D? Yes please. That sounds good to me. Nintendo, hire this man :D.

It'll never happen though, sadly. Perhaps if Sony didn't mishandle the Vita they could have gone down that route for the PSP 3.

1440p or 720p stereoscopic 3D? Yes please. That sounds good to me. Nintendo, hire this man :D.

It'll never happen though, sadly. Perhaps if Sony didn't mishandle the Vita they could have gone down that route for the PSP 3.

The Vita made Sony enough money that a PSP3 Will probably happen.

The Switch is very large. I think there is a ton of demand for a smaller, lighter portable that can get better battery life, especially in Japan.

A PSP3 packing a 7nm 4 core a72 would run circles around the Switch in a smaller package and with better battery life.

It could also offer full BC with Vita and PSP games and could get ports of all Switch games, indie games and many PS3 games.

I would expect a Switch XL (same size, bigger screen with no bezel and OLED, quad A75 at 7/10nm with better performance and battery life) announcement E3 2019 and release Oct 2019.

Nintendo is almost certainly working on the revision right now (and I hope they see the suggestions in the OP) but it usually takes atleast 1-2 years to go from planning to release.

I really hope to see the new quad a75 cpu find its way into the Switch revision. That thing is a monster.

Peterc

I've my switch pro controller already for a few days. For those who are worried about the dpad. It's just perfect at my one. It doesn't stuck, it works like it should work, i don't want it to be different. Maybe it's only with the new versions?

Beside that, damn it nailed almost everything.

I've played much on the xbox one controller. While it is still the second best controller, it has allot of flaws, like. The cheap plastic its using, triggers are placed wrong and has a bad clicking dpad that feels cheap.

I hope. Microsoft will fix it. Maybe the elite is different?

Nintendo should release a elite switch version for higher res games. Maybe docked only.

shpankey

not an idiot
I've my switch pro controller already for a few days. For those who are worried about the dpad. It's just perfect at my one. It doesn't stuck, it works like it should work, i don't want it to be different. Maybe it's only with the new versions?

Beside that, damn it nailed almost everything.

I've played much on the xbox one controller. While it is still the second best controller, it has allot of flaws, like. The cheap plastic its using, triggers are placed wrong and has a bad clicking dpad that feels cheap.

I hope. Microsoft will fix it. Maybe the elite is different?

Nintendo should release a elite switch version for higher res games. Maybe docked only.
The elite definitely addresses all of those issues.

elmalloc

Thanks.

I think making a joycon with a dpad would be the easiest thing for Nintendo to do and I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

How do you draw so well, those of us in the general population cannot create ideas like you because of our lack of this skillset.

The Switch main module won't change until 2020 and it will become very cheap by then. Nintendo however will introduce a new dock (aka Supplementary Computing Device or SCD) with a powerful GPU for 4K 60 fps and possibly VR as early as 2019.

The Switch main module won't change until 2020 and it will become very cheap by then. Nintendo however will introduce a new dock (aka Supplementary Computing Device or SCD) with a powerful GPU for 4K 60 fps and possibly VR as early as 2019.

They could also easily update the Joycons to include a version with a dpad and centered circular symmetrical capture and home buttons

We have talked about this many times. Althought i try to be more "realistic" or conservative. For example:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=247054292

Basically a 7'' screen in the same form factor, APU alterations, improved rotating kick stand and a dock redesign. The rotating stand is for games that could work better in portrait mode: Shuttem Ups, Rythm, etc.

Before any new Switch Hardware, Nintendo should concentrate in the Dock first as theres much to improve and this alienate users less than an expensive new model that is better at everything. Potential new features for Dock 2.0:
  • A slot for a 2.5'' hard drive.
  • Ethernet port.
  • HDMI 2.0 support. Having Switch games support HDR would be a great improvement to visuals.
  • Dedicated DSP for post processing FX. I.E: Add AA, better upscaler and interpolate frames to give 30 fps games the sensation of 60. This is user selected of course.
  • SmartPhone App to control the Switch OS remotely. So for example, the user can manage data from afar.
  • Power brick with a wider rotating type C head. Twist it so the Switch can be charged while in table top mode.
  • A secure mechanism. A lock that allows the Switch to be fixated to the Dock.
  • Internal Fan for the dock. Cuarrent Switch doesn't need it but the extra internal components would.
As for the original post there's reasonable suggestions but others are not thinked well enough:
1. A Bezel Free 7.5 inch screen that continues to support all existing Joy-Cons
7'' is more propable maybe 7.2" tops, with the same size there's not much space available for that. Consider that the speakers need to be front facing and there's a light sensor. There's just not enough room for that with a 7.5''.

2. Eight hours of battery life by shrinking the manufacturing process from 20nm down to 7nm.
The 20nm Tegra X1 in the current Switch has 4 A53 core that are disabled and just take up space.

Going for such a stark shrink for the X1 (20nm to 7nm) you might just use a complete new APU. Die reductions are not always straightforward and the X1 would work fine in a 16nm process or just go with the existing X2 instead.

Excuse me if im wrong, after all the last time i did reasearch on the X1 was for this early 2016 thread:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215343&page=4

But i don't think the A53s are disabled. Devs don't have access to them but they still opperate for low level CPU functions.

3. Some modest improvements to the Switch's design

Placing the usb, type c charging port on the top rather than the bottom so that people can continue to charge the Switch while they are playing in handheld and table top modes.
Placing the USB C at the top is not compatible with the Dock design. The way Nintendo executed the docking and USB C positioning, is the most practical and cost effective way.

The design and placement of the Home button is ugly, distracting and should be revised in the Switch XL. There is no reason for the Home button to have a white circle encircling it. Ideally, the Home button should be a single black circle (no white border) with a corresponding circular Capture button on the left Joy-Con identical in size and shape to the Home button.
These ones seem more personal preference than design improvements. The white circle is for the LED notifications and their positioning is for the capture and Home button to be more accesible when playing with the Joycon in normal orientation.

4. Microphone and Camera in the center for Voice Chat and AR Games
Nintendo's intend is for people to play those games in the Smart Phones they always carry with them. So adding the extra cost when people might play those sporadically on the Switch or not at all is not justified.

5. Improved Joy-Con Controllers

Many gamers would prefer analog buttons and triggers for the revised Joy-Cons, as well as an optional sensor bar, stylus and IR functionality so that the Switch XL gains perfect compatibility with future Virtual Console Wii, Wii U and Gamecube releases.
Where will you put the optical sensor while having access to all the buttons of the Joycon?

The buttons and joysticks should be slightly further spaced apart and vertically centered so that the Right Joy-Con can be used comfortably when sideways. With the current design, the Left Joy-Con is far more comfortable to hold and use than the Right Joy-Con. Perhaps move the Home and Capture buttons to the center and space the buttons and joysticks farther apart to achieve this.
i remember debating the button/stick relation 100s of times in the mock up threads. Nintendo already stablished these inputs in the most optimal place to both be workable in both SNES and Vertical positions. Move then further as you suggest and they become harder to reach in the normal position.

EeGSOxm.jpg

6. Optional Pro Joy-Cons intended primarily for when the Switch is being used as a portable

It would be ideal if the Pro Joy-Cons utilized something closer to a D-Pad for at least the left Joy-Con (the PS Vita's D-Pad is a perfect compromise between split buttons and D-Pad functionality).

It goes without saying that any Pro Joy-Cons should feature large, curved, fully Analog Triggers, large buttons and improved Analog Sticks.
Again Nintendo reached the correct balance for the features the Switch support. Using separated buttons was the right call as they work ok for 2D games that require left to right movement which are the majority of platformers. The issues are for other 2D games that require movement in 8 directions and traditional fighting games thought.

7. An Optional Standalone Dock with Improved Graphical Fidelity facilitating Wii U Virtual Console releases
Wasn't the the GPU in the dock dimmend impossible due to the bandwidth limitations of the USB Type C?

Berryman

Neo Member
It just needs more power. I know battery life and all, but 7nm should help a shitload. I need more power out of a gaming device though.

It just needs more power. I know battery life and all, but 7nm should help a shitload. I need more power out of a gaming device though.

Yes, it needs both more power and better battery life. That's why the jump to 7nm is important. Going with X2 or 14nm like others are suggesting will not get it enough power or enough battery life to make a noticeable impact.

I wonder if we'll see a Switch 2 with a customised Tegra X2 this year. Just delivering either battery life improvements, or helping games reach their resolution and framerate targets more consistently, or both.

In the years leading up to the then-NX's formal reveal Iwata would speak about the importance of making software and applications more portable - that is, transferrable - to other hardware systems, and the importance of the next generation never having to "start from zero" again with its software library. Big pointers to NX/Switch being a long-term platform where its games can run on a variety of hardware configurations.

Nintendo plans to shift around 38m by the end of the next financial year, so they know things we don't. It could just be software or new markets (wider Asia), but I wouldn't be surprised if new hardware (a la DS to DS Lite) were on the cards.

The current model needs better plastic. The joycon sliding lock and the stand are just bad and malfunction.

Otherwise, I'd love a smaller overall device. It's really wide. If they made a cheaper one that is smaller and the joycons don't come off, that would be cool to me. A lot of people use pro controllers anyway and sideways joycons are good emergency controllers but they kinda suck.

noqtic

No more controller accessories please! In relation to the OP I was just looking back at My Wii and WiiU and noticed that I have way too many controllers and accessories for them.

I guess it wouldn't be too bad as long as they are optional.

If there were a Switch revision I would just want a new dock with some extra processing power in it so all Switch games can at least achieve 1080P 60 FPS. Xenoblade needs it badly in some spots.

I'm actually really happy with it and have no requests for the switch right now, other than I would like a little more bulky larger sized joycons, and some dock improvements.

I like having a little bezel.

No more controller accessories please! In relation to the OP I was just looking back at My Wii and WiiU and noticed that I have way too many controllers and accessories for them.

I guess it wouldn't be too bad as long as they are optional.

If there were a Switch revision I would just want a new dock with some extra processing power in it so all Switch games can at least achieve 1080P 60 FPS. Xenoblade needs it badly in some spots.

Optional Pro Joycons that have an actual dpad and analog buttons and triggers would please a lot of gamers

Parapraxis

7. An Optional Standalone Dock with Improved Graphical Fidelity facilitating Wii U Virtual Console releases

This x a million. I feel the Switch is very cool, and it's doing super well, but it's not very future proof. I do not play games on the go, and there are MANY people like myself who would opt for power over portability. If it was optional it would be even better.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing on the Switch more and more and it just make me long for an OLED Bezel Free Switch so much.

How long are we from getting one? One year? 2030?

Last edited:
Does HDR matter on portables? Should we hope for a 1080p HDR OLED screen or would that look awful in sunlight?

Also, would a good clamshell design be doable or would the use of dual sliding analog joysticks like the one on the 3DS be too big a compromise?

Last edited:

Sapiens

Nintendo will likely never release a Switch with OLED - they like high margins.

In a year, we'll start hearing about a spec-bumped switch with minimal improvements.

magnumpy

switch is a bit of a rip-off at $300. get the price down to $250 and eventually $200. the other consoles should also reduce in price with time.

Top Bottom