• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unit 13 |OT|

What's the best looking Vita game? Rayman? Is that 544p?

Virtua Tennis is pretty remarkable looking, and supposedly at 60fps to boot.

As far as this demo goes, I love it. I think concept is pretty novel... a score chasing tactical shooter. Seems like a japanese idea.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As far as this demo goes, I love it. I think concept is pretty novel... a score chasing tactical shooter. Seems like a japanese idea.

I agree this reminds me of what Mercenaries was in a lot of ways. It's a total lack of a game in a traditional sense, there is no real campaign or competitive multiplayer. But there is some interesting multiplayer and the gameplay itself is pretty solid. Like Mercenaries was to Revelaitons, I do hope that Zipper already has a Socom in the works on the Vita, but even if they do I probably wouldn't be happy with it regardless so maybe its better that they don't.

I'm going to hold off on this game though for more impressions and reviews. I had my system lock up once because of this and the framerate in the demo was not too hot.

whitehawk

Banned
Why is the Vita having such a difficult time running games @ 960x544? Even this title running at 720x408 struggles with framerate and AA. I have to wonder what resolution Uncharted and Unit 13 would need to run at in order to get a solid framerate as well as good AA? I know they're launch titles and all that but not being able to output at the devices native rez?

Is Sony purposefully limiting CPU or GPU speed or something? Sorry, guess I'm kinda disappointed since when it was announced, it was touted as being almost a portable PS3.
Well Sony did lock the PSP to 222mhz when it was capable of 333mhz so it's possible.

However I still think that Ridge Racer for the PSP was one of the best looking games for the system, and it was a launch title. And it ran at a solid 60fps! So I wonder how much better Vita games will look in the future. It all depends on how much effort developers put into squeezing every ounce of power they can get their hands on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is the Vita having such a difficult time running games @ 960x544? Even this title running at 720x408 struggles with framerate and AA. I have to wonder what resolution Uncharted and Unit 13 would need to run at in order to get a solid framerate as well as good AA? I know they're launch titles and all that but not being able to output at the devices native rez?

Is Sony purposefully limiting CPU or GPU speed or something? Sorry, guess I'm kinda disappointed since when it was announced, it was touted as being almost a portable PS3.
It's not, really.

MOST of the launch games actually DO run at 960x544 and many of those run at 60 fps as well.

Only a few select titles are sporting the lower resolution. Unfortunately, some of those titles are pretty big titles that are going to receive a lot of attention.

Hopefully, as developers become more accustomed to the system things will improve. Hot Shots runs at sub-qHD/30 fps and looks vastly inferior to Virtua Tennis that runs at native resolution and 60 fps.

Fortunately, titles running under native resolution still manage to look pretty clean on this screen due to the high pixel density and clean scaling.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Virtua Tennis is pretty remarkable looking, and supposedly at 60fps to boot.

I actually was thinking in something in the lines of that. It's a neat and novel idea that makes sense for a portable title.

As long as they fix the issues with the OS crashing then I'm good. It's the only game to make my system act up so far.

Durante

Why is the Vita having such a difficult time running games @ 960x544?
Because
stupid
devs are prioritizing getting exactly the same framebuffer efffects to run on Vita as they currently use on consoles, instead of playing to the system's strengths (putting out ultra clean, 4xAAed images -- look at VT4).

XOMTOR

Only a few select titles are sporting the lower resolution. Unfortunately, some of those titles are pretty big titles that are going to receive a lot of attention.

Yea, that's probably it although it's still unfortunate that Sony allowed their top tier launch titles to release this way.

Hopefully, as developers become more accustomed to the system things will improve. Hot Shots runs at sub-qHD/30 fps and looks vastly inferior to Virtua Tennis that runs at native resolution and 60 fps.

Yea let's hope, but I was honestly surprised that a golf game was running at sub-native rez. It doesn't look to be a game that would tax a system like Vita.

Because
stupid
devs are prioritizing getting exactly the same framebuffer efffects to run on Vita as they currently use on consoles, instead of playing to the system's strengths (putting out ultra clean, 4xAAed images -- look at VT4).

Appears to be the case for some of the games. I've seen the Vita Rayman captures and those look extremely good even when viewed on a PC monitor. Doesn't appear that game needs the pixel density of the OLED screen to look good/hide flaws. Perhaps console titles like Uncharted, Killzone etc. should stick to consoles.

Because
stupid

There are quite a few differences between the controlled enviroment of a tennis court than a third person shooter where you move your camera at will with more complex enviroments than a empty field with 2 guys.

Xiaoki

The hardware is fine.

Did you ever consider that some developers are just plain bad? Or that the development time for some games were shortened to meet launch window? Or that when the game started development the development kits were not final?

Uncharted started development in 2009 so we dont know what the "New Generation Portable" SDK was like back then.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Look at what i've found, could this be a real code?
20120223161913.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There are quite a few differences between the controlled enviroment of a tennis court than a third person shooter where you move your camera at will with more complex enviroments than a empty field with 2 guys.
Of course, but a golf game? Hot Shots has a larger environment, but it's fairly simplistic. They should have been able to hit native resolution.

Staal

tried the demo, but I could only get a French language version, which I don't understand. Looked good, but couldn't get the controls right, so deleted from my 4GB card...

Durante

There are. But maybe then should first think about not implementing (mediocre) SSAO rather than completely fucking up the IQ of your game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Demo was pretty cool. I had more fun with it than most of the other demos.

So about half way through the audio disappeared. I was able to complete the first level, but the last screen is blank. Relaunching the game, it looks like my progress wasn't saved.

eznark

Banned
No audio, game froze once I finished the tutorial thing. Then my whole system basically locked up. Then it wouldn't delete.

Seriously, get fucked Zipper. What a piece of shit.

Kerrby

Banned
My Vita froze the first time playing it, basically killed the system and it needed a complete reboot (from the debug menu). Second time playing had no troubles.

The game needs more levels in the demo, I had fun in the first level but I think I need another level to see if I'll truly enjoy it. That said, I don't like Zipper games anymore; as a developer they have gone downhill to the level of Infinity Ward or the Sonic team.

I think if all those levels were actually in the form of a campaign or story mode then I'd be all over it but because it's set out individually it doesn't have me grabbing for it. I was really looking forward to it as well. The lack of online multiplayer is very disappointing as well, they could've done a SOCOM style multiplayer for the game but instead all we have is co op.

Unit 13 demo is pretty fun.

Raising the turn speed/sensitivity to the max really has me excited for the prospects of future fast-paced shooters. I'm easily pulling off headshot streaks as opposed to the slower aiming in Uncharted where it will take me a good second to line up the shots.

I'm eager to see the game reviews as i'm highly considering picking it up. Never really got into SOCOM but this reminds me of old school Rainbow Six

Finally got a chance to run through the demo

and its awesome fun!

Not to mention it's proof that you can (with the correct aim-assist/etc.) make a solid controlling shooter with the vita's sticks!

dreamfall

No audio, game froze once I finished the tutorial thing. Then my whole system basically locked up. Then it wouldn't delete.

Seriously, get fucked Zipper. What a piece of shit.

I give up. I just re-downloaded it after it locked up a couple times, and right after finishing training, it does the same thing. I swear it's not my system- I haven't had any problems this frequently. I like what I've played, I do! I just think that if I keep trying to get through it, my Vita may be killed from all the hard resets!

outsidah

Game's audio dropped out and then afterward locked up the Vita. Controls work fine and the game "works" but I dont find anything interesting or remotely captivating about this game other than it being portable shooter for the Vita. Day one really? Do some of you guys just want a portable shooter that much?

This kind of lazy game just gets to me. This is the kind of crap I expect to see on smartphones, not the Vita.

Game's audio dropped out and then afterward locked up the Vita. Controls work fine and the game "works" but I dont find anything interesting or remotely captivating about this game other than it being portable shooter for the Vita. Day one really? Do some of you guys just want a portable shooter that much?

This kind of lazy game just gets to me. This is the kind of crap I expect to see on smartphones, not the Vita.

Maybe not day one (unless it getting fantastic reviews), but will definitely pick up when it's on sale

yencid

Watch these two videos

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/co-op-reveal-unit-13/726027?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-2012-unit-13/725884?

if they dont change your mind nothing will.

The game plays well but feels generic at the same time. I am impressed on a technical level but there is no driving motivator for me to purchase the game.

RoylAsult

This game needs to come now! its so awesome.

wis the demo wasnt broken, would play it more but i dont want it to effect my Vita

zinder

It was the first game I tried on my Vita, and damn was I impressed! (Graphics-wise)

Might pick this up later, but not day 1 after all the freezing people got from the demo.

george_us

Hot damn I think this might be a Day One purchase. Really digging the controls and the gunplay is pretty great. Vita probably has the best launch window line up I've ever seen.

Portugeezer

Performance issues. Trying to push near console quality visuals with insufficient hardware (or software know-how).

720x408 = 293,760 pixels
960x544 = 522,240 pixels

That's 78% more pixels at native res, which means you need roughly that much extra performance to maintain the same level of visuals.

They're cutting the resolution of the games down to a point where they think people won't notice.

Well people notice the jaggies, higher res and jaggies are less noticeable. All in all the effect is a blurry jaggy mess.

LiquidMetal14

I guess I can turn this into the OP with about an hours worth of work.

And it's done. Thank you to the mod who helped me. A generous human :)

If anyone gets a good summary or better info, please let me know. I will try and beef up the OP with relevant info but for now, you get the point. Happy......shooting everyone!

I was like "Where the hell did this OT come from?" lol =P

Will probably buy even though I didn't like the demo, I'm on a Vita high right now.

Should totally add to the title "Unit 13 |OT|- Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Or some other dumb shit.

LiquidMetal14

I know I seen a detailed explanation on how characters and better for some mission than other

I'm sure we will uncover more depth when we get our hands on it.

I was like "Where the hell did this OT come from?" lol =P

Will probably buy even though I didn't like the demo, I'm on a Vita high right now.

Should totally add to the title "Unit 13 |OT|- Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Or some other dumb shit.

I did have a simple catch phrase that wasn't smart or anything but it wasn't added in. I don't mind. It's simple and to the point as it is.

addyb

I enjoyed the demo and thought it was fun. Enough for me to preorder it with shopto for £24 (with store credit) my mates picking it up as well for some co op goodness. I just need to get rayman finished now before this arrives next week.

cyborg009

Banned
I'm sure we will uncover more depth when we get our hands on it.

I did have a simple catch phrase that wasn't smart or anything but it wasn't added in. I don't mind. It's simple and to the point as it is.

Sorry I meant their was a explanation on the certain characters ability during each mission online somewhere

Top Bottom