• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

Raonak

Banned
Kinda frustrating, especially for someone like me, who pretty much grew up with playstation.
It's actually a great game too.

Ah well. get dat sequel PS4 launch title ready superbot! and gimmie snake.

Actually, putting it on PS+ sooner or later will be very good for the sequel. will get it into hands of people who would've otherwise not bought it.

I was interested at first but lost all interest during their marketing period. I’m probably in the minority here so I’m not saying they should have done anything different, but it feels like Sony doesn’t know how to market games (to me).

For my taste, Sony spammed their own blog way too much with marketing for their game. It felt like they don’t have any real means to market this games. :( I personally want to be surprised by games and not know everything beforehand. Again: Not saying they should have done everything differently, just that the way they did it turned me off.

You lost all interest in a game because you didn't like how it was marketed on a blog....

I think that existed.
But what didn't exist? 'And I want Radec, Sweet Tooth, Fat Princess, Not Dante, Raiden, that kid from Ape Escape' etc in it. And to be fair, I like some of those characters, and I think the gameplay's pretty fun, but holy shit did they blow it on the getting big characters to pad out the smaller ones in this.

Honestly, the game's roster feels like free advertising for the publishers(Capcom, Konami) rather than celebrating Sony's mascots and third party franchises. I'm surprised when I finish a match as Raiden or Dante it doesn't say 'DMC/MGR in stores <insert date here>'

Yeah, why the fuck are there Killzone, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear and Ape Escape characters in the game? It's not like three of them are classic PS1 franchises (albeit Raiden is from MGS2) and the fourth is one of Sony's biggest franchises.

These discussions are stupid. You can say the exact same thing about a significant portion of the Smash Bros lineup.

If it's not doing well then I think it has a lot less to do with the roster, and more to do with the marketing. The stigma of being a Smash Bros ripoff that they never managed to overcome, even though it plays completely differently, didn't really help either.

Regardless of whether it does amazingly or not, Sony should continue to support it anyway. It's a really good game, so if they can keep supporting it (through DLC and patches), they should have a much stronger go at it with a sequel.

There's heavy rumors already that Nintendo have already secured a large number of third party characters for their next fighting game, including.

Namco Bandai - Lloyd Irving
Capcom - Chris Redfield, Ryu
Sega - Bayonetta, Sonic
Konami - Solid Snake, Eva
Ubisoft - Altair, The Prince
Activision - Tony Hawk

Is it going to run at 1080p and 60fps, as well?

Sakurai's said that the next Smash Bros will have the same amount of characters as Brawl, so I assume that you think they're going to be cutting a lot of characters then?

meppi

Can't say I'm surprised.
Can't say I feel bad for them either.

Making blatant rip-offs is not something that should be supported in any industry.

ffdgh

Well that's disappointing, hope it gets sales during December. Still would have loved for crash and spyro to be in.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I had no clue this game was even out. Seeing as this is Sony's biggest game release this holiday, it's just weird that I haven't seen a single advertisement.

Dusky

Do you guys really believe that Cloud, Snake and whoever, could make any difference?

It would have helped. Definitely.

PSASBR's biggest problem is just that it looks like Smash bros. Also the marketing didn't help either.

Laguna

Banned
A bit of a surpise that it bombed that bad but to be honest its character lineup is just unappealing and this games lacks content. It feels like a barebone PSN game. Playstation Allstar sounds like a promising premise but it just lacks the iconic characters that helped to built up the "Playstation" image from PS1 to PS3, yes a lot of them are from 3rd parties but truth is most people don´t buy a Playstation for Sonys 1st party games. Where are Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, characters from popular franchises like Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Eva Brea from Parasite Eve, Onimusha, Solid Snake, original Dante or even Spyro? Instead they included Bioshock character... honestly who cares about this thing.

They should have been more honest and call it Sonys Rumble or something like that, because calling it Playstation Allstars seems like false advertising and a lie to me.

herod

So far I've seen it marketed in the PS blog, TV ads, magazines, mailorder shop mailouts and the front of the store in GAME. What exactly is missing in the marketing strategy guys?

Malvingt2

Can't say I'm surprised.
Can't say I feel bad for them either.

Making blatant rip-offs is not something that should be supported in any industry.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Yep. I think they thought Last of Us would make the holiday. Once that dropped back, there was nothing left to replace it.

I love that Yoshida claimed the reason The Last of Us wasn't releasing in 2012 was due to do Sony wanting to concentrate on the PSVita...

If this came out in 2005 for the PS2, then defiantly.

And this is where the issue with the game lies.
As I say - Sony has the most macabre 'mascots' this generation. Their a real odd bunch.

I'd still have loved to see Spyro/Crash battle it out though.

Instead we get fucking sackboy whose aesthetics I have never understood other than to make him look like a toy no one wants, no body ever wanted and who was only knitted because Grannie thought it was odd one of the babies never seemed to cry.

/rant sorry my LBP issues took over a bit there...

But yeah, the problem Sony had going to third parties is they themselves added no value to the game. Crash would add huge value; but then why would I Activision give the rights to Sony? Quite frankly I'd want well above 50% of the profits; ofc, as other third parties got on board I'd accept less - we all bring value.

But in the end Sony still adds little to no value in comparison.
If this were a PS4 launch title I bet things would be different, Sony's only 'added value' from this game is that their paying for it so as like we've seen for some franchises its a 'free advertisement'. Thats pretty powerful at the start of a generation.

Here? Sony have nothing to leverage.

Dusky

So far I've seen it marketed in the PS blog, TV ads, magazines, mailorder shop mailouts and the front of the store in GAME. What exactly is missing in the marketing strategy guys?

Iconic characters perhaps?

Maybe it's just me and was unlucky to miss them, but I saw no TV ads whatsoever in the UK. But like I said could just be me.

herod

Iconic characters perhaps?

Maybe it's just me and was unlucky to miss them, but I saw no TV ads whatsoever in the UK. But like I said could just be me.

The thing is, most games don't get TV adverts. It's not really normal to put a game like that on TV. I don't think I've ever seen a SSB TV ad, yet it still did 10 million units at the last attempt.

I lost interested because I felt like they shoved it down my throat. You know, like you'll like your favourite food less when you eat it four times a week.

You probably the first person to base their decision on a videogame purchase off of the ad space on a website. To say you're in the minority is an understatement.

Frillen

Pretty much the only country in Europe the ps3 is in 3rd place

PS3 versions of games like Sleeping Dogs and Dishonoured debuted in the top 15 in the UK. And those aren't exactly huge titles when it comes to sales. And even though the PS3 is in 3rd place in the UK it's still a huge market for Sony.

This is definitely the biggest bomb of the year.

I don't see how the poor Playstation sales argument makes sense.
They get like at least 40% of sales on most multiplatform sales, so at least 40% of the market has a PS3.

Takao

Banned
A bit of a surpise that it bombed that bad but to be honest its character lineup is just unappealing and this games lacks content. It feels like a barebone PSN game. Playstation Allstar sounds like a promising premise but it just lacks the iconic characters that helped to built up the "Playstation" image from PS1 to PS3, yes a lot of them are from 3rd parties but truth is most people don´t buy a Playstation for Sonys 1st party games. Where are Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, characters from popular franchises like Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Eva Brea from Parasite Eve, Onimusha, Solid Snake, original Dante or even Spyro? Instead they included Bioshock character... honestly who cares about this thing.

They should have been more honest and call it Sonys Rumble or something like that, because calling it Playstation Allstars seems like false advertising and a lie to me.

I agree with your overall point, but those franchises aren't exactly what I'd call blockbusters ...

Miles X

I feel damn sorry for sony, they must put more money into first party titles than any other yet alot of them dont sell very well even when they are good games, this had little hope its a niche market. Such a shame.

Which is exactly why MS have held off yet get ripped to shreds for having common sense.

Top Bottom