• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #217, July 2007: Odin Sphere > Pokemon

PkunkFury said:
so it's more complicated than you'd think, yet it makes the game easier?

Specifically, Michael said: "I actually sound the Wii's point-and-shoot controls made gunning down Ganados a helluva lot easier... maybe too easy -- I breezed through tough parts that originally pissed me off in the previous versions."

Milky's control complaints didn't have to do with the pointing and shooting, it was with the camera and player movement.

Kazenone

_leech_ said:
[...]
- Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year... but a new American team is going to make it, not the original Japanese team.
[...]

Crap, I hope it's not the team that started Origins then got canned. Rarrrgh, what has the Japanese team been doing all this time?

DyTonic

Banned
17d122e6d5.jpg

googled, i dunno if this is a real pic of SC 3, but it's going to be insane

source

- Wold exclusive preview of the new Soul Calibur games (yes, plural).
Yes! SCIV better be a significant gameplay step forward. I want disarms and open-handed fighting back.
- EA looking to get the MLB and NBA licenses.
I hope those MLB and NBA clowns reject the idea of granting one publisher exclusivity. It doesn't benefit anyone.

duckroll said:
So what did they say about Grim Grimoire so I can bump the official thread for completion's sake? :)

The Good: Beautiful visuals.
The Bad: Superrepetitive gameplay.
J.K. Rowling Called: She wants her story back.

Ceb

Doom_Bringer said:
All money is going into MGS4 development. Team Silent Hill is making the movie!

I don't think it would be that much cheaper to outsource development to a US studio than it would be to keep doing the series in-house with Japanese-style sweatshop programmer salaries. I suppose all the graphical artists and programmers previously involved with SH could be tied up with MGS4, or a new 3DVania or something. I don't see why Konami wouldn't just hire new staff for that though.

Meh, I can take it if the key SH designers are heavily involved with the project. That means scenario by Owaku, art direction and enemy design by Ito, and Imamura, Tsuboyama and Murakoshi in director/producer roles.

Why do I get the feeling that's not gonna happen though? Meh, EGM's Team Silent rumors have been totally wild throughout the years. First it was an exclusive 360 game, then a PS3 one, now we get this? :/

Elios83

Tomb Raider Anniversary and Ninja Gaiden Sigma will be my June games :D :)

Oh and Soul Calibur PSP + Soul Calibur PS3/360.......sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
hoping that Namco won't disappoint with next gen graphics

PkunkFury

_leech_ said:
Specifically, Michael said: "I actually sound the Wii's point-and-shoot controls made gunning down Ganados a helluva lot easier... maybe too easy -- I breezed through tough parts that originally pissed me off in the previous versions."

Milky's control complaints didn't have to do with the pointing and shooting, it was with the camera and player movement.

ah thanks for the info, this makes a bit of sense, guess I'm going to have to rent it and give it a shot before buying

Mr. Spinnington said:
_leech_, I was serious about Bug Island : (

Sorry, missed that.

The Good: Fun, schlocky concept.
The Bad: Ugly graphics, frustrating controls, and more!
The Ugly: The canine men... get 'em a mask!

Steroyd

Dascu said:
Surprised at Parappa PS3. I was expecting it to be on Wii after all this Nintendo praise from Masaya Matsuura ("PS3 is too big").

Yeah if only LocoRoco was on the wii as well tilting the world an... OH HANG ON!!

Giard

_leech_ said:
Sorry, missed that.

The Good: Fun, schlocky concept.
The Bad: Ugly graphics, frustrating controls, and more!
The Ugly: The canine men... get 'em a mask!

Everyone seems to wonder what SimCity DS did wrong...could you please do the same for that game?

ethelred

Hmm, I'm surprised by the scores for Grim Grimoire and Sim City DS, because I've heard nothing but good things about both of those games... oh, wait, now I remember the Etrian Odyssey reviews last month. Nevermind!

Giard said:
Everyone seems to wonder what SimCity DS did wrong...could you please do the same for that game?

No problem. Simcity DS:

The Good: Big-city sim in a pint-sized package.
The Bad: Never has the DS felt so small.
Overlooked: Only enough room for one saved city at a time.

Xiaoki

Hopefully for the PSP version of SC3 they get the gameplay right. They've already tried twice and the Arcade version only managed to make it worse(way to go Namco).

Don't expect SC4 to be shown, Tekken 6 isn't even out yet.

_leech_ said:
No problem. Simcity DS:

The Good: Big-city sim in a pint-sized package.
The Bad: Never has the DS felt so small.
Overlooked: Only enough room for one saved city at a time.

I have no idea what their "The Bad" means.

Proc

SOLDIER said:
Could someone post the good/bad for FF PSP?

I only played about 5 minutes of it (more tonight on the train), but from what I could tell the graphical upgrade is very welcome, it looks beautiful. I picked it up because I've never played it before and I think it was well worth getting.

Foil

_leech_ said:
It's that time again.

Rumors

Fine by me if they get the MLB rights away from 2K. Just as long as they still have the clause in the contract that Sony can make their first party game. MVP >>>>> MLB 2K.

As for the NBA? NO. HELL NO. Sorry, but I don't wanna be stuck with this crap for the next 5-10 years only.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lvnv4rCtm2Y

_leech_ said:
Coming in the August 2007 Issue

The other SC game better be SCIV for PS3/360.

Tiktaalik said:
Let's guess who gave it the 4.5. I'm going with MarkMacD.

Nope, Andrew Fitch.

SOLDIER said:
Could someone post the good/bad for FF PSP?

The Good: Best looking version of FF1 ever.
The bad: Not a particularly value-added package.
Mysteriously Massive Font: Is this Final Fantasy: Large Print Edition?

duckroll

A Link to the Snitch said:

Screen real estate probably. There's lots of display for Sim City and they probably felt the DS screen was too limiting. Shrug, this is EGM.

Doytch

A Link to the Snitch said:

I guess they're talking about the screen size of the DS. The city only takes up one of the screens in the shots I've seen, and as a result, you can't see much.

PkunkFury said:
ah thanks for the info, this makes a bit of sense, guess I'm going to have to rent it and give it a shot before buying

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but it's only $30 so that makes me feel a bit better about my pre-order. :lol

All I'm hearing is RE4 complaints, yet the game got a very impressive review.

I don't get how that dude can say he found it too easy with the wii controls when he was frustrated before. It would be a totally different perspective from somebody who hadn't already played through and beaten the game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amir0x said:
I thought Sim City DS was supposed to be good? What happened?

EGM saying a game is bad or mediocre doesn't mean the game is bad or mediocre.

I thought people stopped taking their reviews even remotely seriously a very long time ago.

Tiktaalik

duckroll said:
Screen real estate probably. There's lots of display for Sim City and they probably felt the DS screen was too limiting. Shrug, this is EGM.

I wonder if maybe it could be also that the max size for the city is physically smaller than the PC editions.

Proc

_leech_ said:
Odin Sphere: 8.5, 9.5, 9 [Game of the Month]

I'm so tempted to pick this up but I have so many games to play...I have a feeling though that this game might be hard to come by in the near future so I just might have to cave.

Ok, some specific SimCity DS comments:

Garnett
- "Because neither of the two zoom levels work well, construction planning really built up my frustration."
- "Even the slightest bump made it impossible to be accurate with the stylus."
- "Just because you can put SimCity on the DS doesn't mean you should."

Shoe
- "Those annoying citizens that are constantly asking me to build random things (that aren't really helping the city) have got to go away."

Nick
- "Having to regularly hit the 'Undo' button due to imprecise touches and a janky camera sucks out some of the fun."
- "I can definitely relate to the headache of having to sit through the whiny requests of my tiny denizens just in case they offer something important."
- "The DS just isn't the best medium for burgeoning city planners."

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
- Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year... but a new American team is going to make it, not the original Japanese team.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO darthvader.gif

Review Scores - Playstation 3
Ninja Gaiden Sigma: 9, 9, 8

Awesome

awesome, i guess, I hope they do not water down the games if they are multiplatform.

Top Bottom