• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #217, July 2007: Odin Sphere > Pokemon

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's like most of these reviews were all based on hype on NeoGAF instead of how good the games are, games like Wartech, SimCity DS, and Grim Grimoire got low scores while Pokemon, Odin Sphere, and Ninja Gaiden got high scores. Oh well, just reminds me how much I hate magazine reviews the most, these magazines are really for new information.

WTH is team Silent working on? They aren't doing the PSP game or the next-gen. game?

Tristam

I've never kept up with the EGM topics, but when do you have access to the rest of the magazine info (news, previews, etc.)?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
_leech_ said:
It's that time again.

Rumors
- A new 300 game coming for the PS3 and 360.
- PaRappa the Rapper 3 for the PS3 is real.
- Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year... but a new American team is going to make it, not the original Japanese team.
- New sequels soon to be announced for Midnight Club, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver.
- EA looking to get the MLB and NBA licenses.

Yep. Great, SH5 as I expected.

mabuza

Banned
jj984jj said:
It's like most of these reviews were all based on hype on NeoGAF instead of how good the games are, games like Wartech, SimCity DS, and Grim Grimoire got low score while Pokemon, Odin Sphere, and Ninja Gaiden got high scores. Oh well, just reminds me how much I hate magazine reviews the most, these magazines are really for new information.
so would you say pokemon got high scores cos of gaf hype, or are you just bitching about non nintendo games?

Amir0x

Banned
omg rite said:
EGM saying a game is bad or mediocre doesn't mean the game is bad or mediocre.

I thought people stopped taking their reviews even remotely seriously a very long time ago.

That's Famitsu, EGM tends to be hot or cold depending on who is reviewing. Anyone who takes Famitsu's reviews seriously, however, should be violently attacked or something though.

_leech said:
Garnett
- "Because neither of the two zoom levels work well, construction planning really built up my frustration."
- "Even the slightest bump made it impossible to be accurate with the stylus."
- "Just because you can put SimCity on the DS doesn't mean you should."

Shoe
- "Those annoying citizens that are constantly asking me to build random things (that aren't really helping the city) have got to go away."

Nick
- "Having to regularly hit the 'Undo' button due to imprecise touches and a janky camera sucks out some of the fun."
- "I can definitely relate to the headache of having to sit through the whiny requests of my tiny denizens just in case they offer something important."
- "The DS just isn't the best medium for burgeoning city planners."

Ah. Touch screen ****s with something else, big shock. Guess I'll try it out though, i like Sim City.

Amir0x said:
That's Famitsu, EGM tends to be hot or cold depending on who is reviewing. Anyone who takes Famitsu's reviews seriously, however, should be violently attacked or something though.

EGM is too harsh/lenient a lot of the times, that's why I don't really hold their opinion at face value.

jman2050

Yeah, all complaints or praises about Sim City DS aside, the biggest deal-breaker of the whole thing is the fact that YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE SAVED CITY AT A TIME. Why I don't recall this being mentioned is a mystery. I'll stick to the PC versions, thank you.

YYZ said:
Can you go into a little more detail on the Grim Grimoire review please? Thanks.

Sure.

Greg S. thought the lack of multi-player hurt it, and it was super repetitive. Rips off Harry Potter too much (even has a "Philosopher's Stone" item). Ray said the controls end up getting cumbersome and feels that the game deserves a high-def presentation. Andrew Fitch thought that it's Harry Potter similarities "borders on criminal."

Tristam said:
I've never kept up with the EGM topics, but when do you have access to the rest of the magazine info (news, previews, etc.)?

I have the entire issue. For some reason I get my issues a lot sooner than everyone else here :lol

Meier

The Sim City score is disappointing, but I'm still there on day 1 along with Anno 1750 or whatever it's called. :D

lyre

I'm surprised Di/Pe scored as high as it did, since, from what I remember, Ru/Sa (the better games of the series) got only an above average score from them (or at least no where near the 8 and 9's as Di/Pe).
But regardless, it's one overhyped gaf game beating another overhyped gaf game.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Hey, sounds exactly like why Famitsu reviews don't matter! :lol

Famitsu is like throwing a dart: they always suck, no matter what, even if the dart occasionally hits the right score. EGM has certain reviewers that consistently hit the target (even if the space allotted to write the review is always too tiny to express the logic for the scores all the way) because they aren't bumbling apes and don't have hilariously xenophobic views on games

Tristam

_leech_ said:
I have the entire issue. For some reason I get my issues a lot sooner than everyone else here :lol

So what other interesting information is there besides the reviews and rumors? I haven't glanced at an EGM since the mid-90s (when they were the best magazine for import news and previews), but I'm sure they still preview games.

jj984jj

mabuza said:
so would you say pokemon got high scores cos of gaf hype, or are you just bitching about non nintendo games?
Basically I said I don't agree with their reviews, it's like they were score based on hype here on GAF. I'm still picking up Grim Grimoire and SimCity DS and until I play both Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire I still looking forward to Grim Grimoire more.

Amir0x said:
Just as it is with any review, it depends on how much you value the opinion of the reviewer.

Tristam said:
So what other interesting information is there besides the reviews and rumors? I haven't glanced at an EGM since the mid-90s (when they were the best magazine for import news and previews), but I'm sure they still preview games.

Well let's see...

- There's the BioShock cover story.
- They compare New York City to Liberty City
- A section on why developers are so reluctant to do war games in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- Splinter Cell: Conviction, Need for Speed: Pro Street, Alone in the Dark, and No More Heroes previews.

And the usual stuff (Retro, Seanbaby, Hsu and Chan, Last Word, etc).

I wonder what they gave Theme Park DS. I borrowed that game over a weekend and the DS basically never left my hands while I had it.

Amir0x said:
There are zero Famitsu reviewers with value.
That's not true. There are plenty of FAMItsu reviewers that have value, in fact all of them.

>.>
<.<

Well, I dunno what that value is, but it's pretty obvious Sony, MS, and Nintendo do...

Amir0x

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
That's not true. There are plenty of FAMItsu reviewers that have value, in fact all of them.

>.>
<.<

Well, I dunno what that value is, but it's pretty obvious Sony, MS, and Nintendo do...

:lol :lol

Winner of thread

Tristam

_leech_ said:
Well let's see...

- There's the BioShock cover story.
- They compare New York City to Liberty City
- A section on why developers are so reluctant to do war games in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- Splinter Cell: Conviction, Need for Speed: Pro Street, Alone in the Dark, and No More Heroes previews.

And the usual stuff (Retro, Seanbaby, Hsu and Chan, Last Word, etc).

Hm, so I guess magazine dudes didn't get to play Metroid Prime 3 at the media summit then?

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Famitsu is like throwing a dart: they always suck, no matter what, even if the dart occasionally hits the right score. EGM has certain reviewers that consistently hit the target (even if the space allotted to write the review is always too tiny to express the logic for the scores all the way) because they aren't bumbling apes and don't have hilariously xenophobic views on games

You base these conclusions on the tons of Famitsu reviews you have read I suppose...?

I find EGM reviews just as useless as Famitsu reviews honestly.

Interesting. Will have to get hold of this on Zinio.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
You base these conclusions on the tons of Famitsu reviews you have read I suppose...?

I find EGM reviews just as useless as Famitsu reviews honestly.

Yes, I've read more than a few of the translated/summarized reviews floating around. I'm sure one or two were even from you! Significantly more than enough to realize the nature of Famitsu, and their complete worthlessness as a publication of editorial content. The fact that, as I said earlier, they're also a bunch of pathetic xenophobic bunnies just heightens this perspective. That's even before we get into how easily purchased the reviewers are, as JackFrost's succinct post on the subject enlightened me to.

Famitsu exists for one thing: revealing news before anyone else. That, at least, is something they have over EGM.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Yes, I've read more than a few of the translated/summarized reviews floating around. I'm sure one or two were even from you! Significantly more than enough to realize the nature of Famitsu, and their complete worthlessness as a publication of editorial content. The fact that, as I said earlier, they're also a bunch of pathetic xenophobic bunnies just heightens this perspective. That's even before we get into how easily purchased the reviewers are, as JackFrost's succinct post on the subject enlightened me to.

I don't really see how EGM is any different. The nature of the reviews mean that you have a few random guys every issue giving 3-4 sentencese about a game and some abitiary score. It means nothing and doesn't really help form a detailed opinion of the game. Famitsu makes the EXACT same comments in fact...

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't really see how EGM is any different. The nature of the reviews mean that you have a few random guys every issue giving 3-4 sentencese about a game and some abitiary score. It means nothing and doesn't really help form a detailed opinion of the game. Famitsu makes the EXACT same comments in fact...

It's not about the amount of sentences. You can be on target, and only have a few sentences to write it logically. And far be it for me to say EGM has any sort of integrity. That wouldn't be true! But they do, as I said, have a few writers that have consistently trustworthy opinions, aren't purchased by big studios, and aren't repulsively - once more (and for emphasis!) - xenophobic.

That already by default makes it superior to Famitsu, which beside not having any integrity, is consistently purchased by big studios, is generally aggressively anti-Western, and their writers suck at life as well as games.

jman2050 said:
Yeah, all complaints or praises about Sim City DS aside, the biggest deal-breaker of the whole thing is the fact that YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE SAVED CITY AT A TIME. Why I don't recall this being mentioned is a mystery. I'll stick to the PC versions, thank you.

Was the SNES version like that too? I've never really played a SimCity game, but I was looking forward to getting it for the DS. Would you really want to have multiple cities going? What do people here at GAF who have the Japanese version still think about it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
farnham said:
The confirmed

SC III Port on PSP

f2_hallelujah.jpg

duckroll

Amir0x said:
It's not about the amount of sentences. You can be on target, and only have a few sentences to write it logically. And far be it for me to say EGM has any sort of integrity. That wouldn't be true! But they do, as I said, have a few writers that have consistently trustworthy opinions, aren't purchased by big studios, and aren't repulsively - once more (and for emphasis!) - xenophobic.

That already by default makes it superior to Famitsu, which beside not having any integrity, is consistently purchased by big studios, is generally aggressively anti-Western, and their writers suck at life as well as games.

Wait. Where is this anti-Western bullshit coming from? I'm not even sure wtf you're talking about anymore.

In fact, I don't know if you know this (probably not) but Famitsu has some REALLY GOOD WRITERS that do editorials every week. Just a month or so back there was an issue with a 3-4 page editorial about the evolution of dungeon RPGs from PC days to modern versions. It traces the evolution and sub-genres like roguelikes, wizardry, MMOs, etc. It was a really good read, oh but you WOULDN'T KNOW because no one scans those and no one translates those!

Let's face it, to the typical Japanese guy who just reads translations in Japanese of monthly threads like this listing nothing but scores, short translations/summaries of the already short reviews, and a bunch of rumors/scoops.... the opinion would be identical to yours of Famitsu. Did you know that EGM was founded by Ziff Davis to be the "American Famitsu" in the first place? That's why the formula is SO SIMILAR. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
Was the SNES version like that too? I've never really played a SimCity game, but I was looking forward to getting it for the DS. Would you really want to have multiple cities going? What do people here at GAF who have the Japanese version still think about it?

Yes, of course you'd want multiple cities going on. You may form one strategy while building up a city and halfway through see that if you might have went another way, it would have been beneficial.

Bebpo

Banned
_leech_ said:
Review Scores - Playstation Portable
Final Fantasy: 7, 5, 8
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient: 9.5, 7.5, 9

-Surprised at how high two of the people scored what GAF calls a "korean rpgmaker" remake sold seperately at a high price.

-Wooooow and PQ2 scores. If the 7.5 guy had thought more like the others it would've been GoTM. :O

jman2050

Gamecocks625 said:

From what I understand, the SNES version of Sim City 2000 was like that, which also sucks. Also, Sim City isn't some linear action game. You can build up your city in one of several different ways, all employing different strategies and nuances, not to mention the difference terrain makes between cities. Having to delete your existing city to start a new one kind of hampers that aspect of the game, especially for someone like me who juggled 5-10 different cities when playing Sim City 2000

jj984jj

Bebpo said:
-Surprised at how high two of the people scored what GAF calls a "korean rpgmaker" remake sold seperately at a high price.
*is not trying to point out some conspiracy*

I just find many reviews hard to believe and disagree with them as usual.

jman2050 said:
From what I understand, the SNES version of Sim City 2000 was like that, which also sucks. Also, Sim City isn't some linear action game. You can build up your city in one of several different ways, all employing different strategies and nuances, not to mention the difference terrain makes between cities. Having to delete your existing city to start a new one kind of hampers that aspect of the game, especially for someone like me who juggled 5-10 different cities when playing Sim City 2000

Ah, I see how that would be annoying. Maybe there isn't enough storage to store multiple cities on the cart? Man, I still want to get it, though.

jman2050

Gamecocks625 said:
Ah, I see how that would be annoying. Maybe there isn't enough storage to store multiple cities on the cart? Man, I still want to get it, though.

Yeah, I might've overreacted a little bit, since this thread was the first I had heard of it. I might pick it up when it's cheaper.

That still really really sucks though.

duckroll

Gamecocks625 said:

Save ram is very, very limited. It's the same reason why Etrian only has 1 save slot. When there's too much data, you're ****ed on the DS.

ethelred

_leech_ said:
Sure.

Greg S. thought the lack of multi-player hurt it, and it was super repetitive. Rips off Harry Potter too much (even has a "Philosopher's Stone" item). Ray said the controls end up getting cumbersome and feels that the game deserves a high-def presentation. Andrew Fitch thought that it's Harry Potter similarities "borders on criminal."

Wow. Do these guys really believe that J. K. Rowling created the concept of the Philosopher's Stone?

Meier said:
The Sim City score is disappointing, but I'm still there on day 1 along with Anno 1750 or whatever it's called. :D

Same.

Gamecocks625 said:

It's an annoyance that I'll only be able to do one at a time, but I don't see it as a deal breaker (same as with Etrian Odyssey).

Gigglepoo

ethelred said:
Wow. Do these guys really believe that J. K. Rowling created the concept of the Philosopher's Stone?

Based on what you quoted (I don't have the issue yet) it seems like there are a lot of reference to Harry Potter in the game. The fact that it also has a Philosopher's Stone just cements their theory that the developers simply ripped off ideas from those books. I'm sure most people older than 10 know that the Philosopher's Stone was not invented by J.K. Rowling.

Anzu

Banned
Amir0x said:
, they're also a bunch of pathetic xenophobic bunnies just heightens this perspective.

Whoa wait what?

They bukkake all over the western games in reviews. how exactly are they xenophobic? I'm with duckroll here, dont know wtf you're talking about :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
- IIRC, EA already tried to get exclusive rights to both MLB and NBA. They were rightfully turned away. I don't see this changing anytime soon. If it did, sports gaming is dead.

- Kind of odd, but I don't recall any of our importers saying that Grim Grimoire was like Harry Potter in terms of story. What's the word on this guys?

Top Bottom