• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2017 announced for 25th August 2017 (PS4, XB1, PC)

Azzawon

Codemasters have announced F1 2017 for the PS4, Xbox One and PC, along with release date.

F12017__capsule_main-2.jpg

Most importantly, classic cars are back!

Teaser Trailer
Codemasters Blog Post

Quotes regarding the classic content in the game:
We grabbed Game Director, Paul Jeal and Creative Director Lee Mather to get the lowdown on what's new in F1 2017: ”After an extremely successful year with the highly acclaimed F1 2016, we are delighted to be announcing F1 2017 and re-introducing classic F1 cars back to the series" said Paul Jeal, Game Director here at Codemasters. ”Classics were incredibly well received when we included them in F1 2013, and in F1 2017 they are back and better than ever. With so many great cars to choose from, it was hard to decide on the final twelve, but we are delighted with our selection of some of the most successful and iconic fan favourites from the past 30 years."

”For the first time ever F1 2017 fully integrates the classic experience into the main career mode," said Lee Mather, Creative Director at Codemasters. ”As part of your career you will be invited to race in modern day, invitational events in the different classic F1 cars throughout the season. We're also adding to the variety in F1 2017 with the inclusion of four alternative circuit layouts, as well as numerous new gameplay types. The classic cars will also be available to play in a range of other game modes, including online multiplayer modes and time trial."

We've also got another treat for you: if you pre-order or purchase ‘Day One' copies of F1 2017, you'll have exclusive access to the iconic 1988 McLaren MP4/4, as part of the ‘F1 2017 Special Edition.' The McLaren MP4/4 car will be available to be purchased at a later date, and the eleven other classic cars are available in all editions of the game.

The first three classic cars to be announced are the McLaren MP4/4, Williams FW14b and Ferrari F2002. More classic cars are set to be announced over the coming weeks, and it looks like the MP4/4 is currently a preorder bonus and will be available fully some time after release.

Certinty

Typical they got rid of classic content for years and are now bringing it back.

Saying that, F1 2016 finally nailed down the actual driving so this should be great.

Spades

Can't wait but I wish they'd have the game out closer to the start of the season like EA used to back in the day.

Azzawon

Typical they got rid of classic content for years and are now bringing it back.

Saying that, F1 2016 finally nailed down the actual driving so this should be great.

From what I can gather, the classic cars will come as standard in 2017 and shouldn't require any 'classic edition' so to speak. The blog post goes on to explain how they fit into career mode and multiplayer modes too.

Zaru

Can't wait but I wish they'd have the game out closer to the start of the season like EA used to back in the day.

That usually comes at the price of lower accuracy/realism in car performance, track details and all that.

The F2002 is considered to be a classic F1 car now? Damn, that makes me feel old.
It feels weird that a car is considered classic even though active drivers were around to race next to it

Good stuff, good stuff. 2016 was the first year that I feel all they got of the fundamentals down, at least of what I'm looking for in these games which is more F1-driver-experience-role-play than something extremely realistic or challenging, so it'll be super interesting to see how they build on that in the next few years.

xrnzaaas

Nice to hear about the classic machines. And the announcement reminds me I still haven't played F1 2016 enough.

Zaru

Are they gonna do proper sound recording for those older car engines or are we getting some badly synthesized shit? I never played F1 2013 so I dunno how Codemasters approaches this

I really wish they would take a dirt rally approach to F1, give us a base game earlier in the season and then patch it with extra stuff as time goes on, keeping official racing times and even simulated real races correct, it would be great.

I've burned out on yearly releases since 2012.

Azzawon

I really wish they would take a dirt rally approach to F1, give us a base game earlier in the season and then patch it with extra stuff as time goes on, keeping official racing times and even simulated real races correct, it would be great.

As great as this would be, I can't imagine it would be healthy for the F1 license. I agree though, it would be great to see how cars evolve throughout the year.

One thing to note in particular, because of the new regulations this year it may be taking Codies a while to fine-tune the handling of the cars. At least they aren't releasing in October like a few years ago when the season was almost over.

Juicy Bob

This series is better now than it ever has been and this looks like another decent step forward.

Kudos to Codemasters. I'm excited for this. Late August is a welcome release window too.

Yen

I'm in for the classic cars

I didn't know how much I wanted that Dirt Rally format until now.

GunBR

Codemasters didn't have announced that they would try to launch the game during the beginning of the season?
August is already on the second half

Well, I'm gonna buy anyway

RdN

Codemasters didn't have announced that they would try to launch the game during the beginning of the season?
August is already on the second half

Well, I'm gonna buy anyway

Yeah.. I find that really annoying.

The game comes out way too late in the season.

Dommel

As great as this would be, I can't imagine it would be healthy for the F1 license. I agree though, it would be great to see how cars evolve throughout the year.

One thing to note in particular, because of the new regulations this year it may be taking Codies a while to fine-tune the handling of the cars. At least they aren't releasing in October like a few years ago when the season was almost over.

I still think they should aim to release around the Spanish GP when the whole circus starts the European leg.

Fox Mulder

2016 was amazing and the classic cars are exciting.

I went like 6 years deep into the career mode, and some refinements will only make it better.

Yeah.. I find that really annoying.

The game comes out way too late in the season.

The secretive nature of the sport means they cant really release much earlier.

They have to model new cars, get the new formula handling, and team performance levels right. Teams don't unveil cars until preseason testing in March.

The games used to come out in October.

Zaru

The secretive nature of the sport means they cant really release much earlier.

They have to model new cars, get the new formula handling, and team performance levels right. Teams don't unveil cars until preseason testing in March.

The games used to come out in October.

While not an issue for 2017, if last year's game had come out early in the season, Baku wouldn't even have looked anything like the final track, Verstappen and Kvyat might still be driving for opposite teams and we'd have elimination qualifying or something.

2015 felt better to drive for me, but last year had more modes. Hope they still concentrate on getting the game play right rather than chucking in random shit like invitationals, etc. Fuck that, sure classic cars are awesome and I'm glad their back, just make sure the game handles as well as a couple of years back for fuck sake.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think if it's going to be 12 cars, and we know the first three, I think these should be the other nine.

Toleman TG184 (Senna's first car)
Lotus 99T (Senna won the last two races for Lotus in this car, Monaco and Detroit)
Ferrari 640 (screaming V12)
McLaren MP4/8 (Senna's 1993 car)
Benetton B194 (Schumacher's first championship winner)
Jordan 199 (bright yellow hornet)
McLaren MP4/14 (Mika's 1999 championship winner)
Renault R25 (Alonso's 2005 championship winner)
Brawn BGP001 (The "Honda dun goofed by throwing in the towel on F1 when they did" car)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Codemasters have announced F1 2017 for the PS4, Xbox One and PC, along with release date.

F12017__capsule_main-2.jpg

Most importantly, classic cars are back!

Teaser Trailer
Codemasters Blog Post

Quotes regarding the classic content in the game:

The first three classic cars to be announced are the McLaren MP4/4, Williams FW14b and Ferrari F2002. More classic cars are set to be announced over the coming weeks, and it looks like the MP4/4 is currently a preorder bonus and will be available fully some time after release.

Oh thanks, remind me of when Honda actually made a good turbo for McLaren you utter bastards.

I've skipped the last couple of F1 games but may well get this one. Great to see classics back.

xrnzaaas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyziE51Xro

Some gameplay from E3. It sucks big time that they've removed all tobacco companies liveries & ads from the classic cars. I don't care that they're forbidden now, I want the cars to look exactly the same. :/

Hopefully there will be a livery editor and a simple download tool like in Forza games (I'm talking about the console versions).

Top Bottom