• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2017 announced for 25th August 2017 (PS4, XB1, PC)

Fox Mulder

This game is looking nice. 2016 was great and they just had to build on it. Lots of little details and cool management bits adding for career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyziE51Xro

Some gameplay from E3. It sucks big time that they've removed all tobacco companies liveries & ads from the classic cars. I don't care that they're forbidden now, I want the cars to look exactly the same. :/

Hopefully there will be a livery editor and a simple download tool like in Forza games (I'm talking about the console versions).

I wish we could have alcohol sponsors in the game. The NASCAR game has it behind a one time age check and they still have an E esrb rating. Give me Heineken signs and the Martini Williams livery for realism.

Whilst i'm delighted that the classic stuff is back in, i've been saying for years now that the game would hugely benefit from a creation suite like Forza or even create a wrestler in WWE where modders can do the liveries, helmets etc that Codemasters can't touch to really add longevity.

Am guessing that Bernie's vice-like contracts meant stuff like this was just off the table in the past, but I wonder if the new dawn of Liberty Media means that fan-friendly stuff like this might be achievable in the future?

sTiTcH AU

By now, they should have added GP3 and Formula 2 into the game and start in those for career mode like the MotoGP games. I think that would have been a really nice addition. I feel like I'm doing one championship per game and then I am pretty much done.

xrnzaaas

I feel like I'm doing one championship per game and then I am pretty much done.

This is true. I've done one full championship in F1 2015, probably going to end up with one full championship in F1 2016 as well despite improvements to that mode. The rest of the time for me is filled with quick races and time trials on my favorite tracks.

xrnzaaas

Classic cars, ok. How about classic tracks and track layouts? Hockenheimring.

Classic Hockenheimring was in Project CARS 1 and I gotta say it's a lot less fun to drive than I remembered from old Grand Prix games. But yeah, I wouldn't mind other classic F1 circuits.

Juicy Bob

By now, they should have added GP3 and Formula 2 into the game and start in those for career mode like the MotoGP games. I think that would have been a really nice addition. I feel like I'm doing one championship per game and then I am pretty much done.
But that has never been a possibility with Bernie in charge.

Now Liberty are calling the shots, maybe there's a chance it could be added in the future. But it's not Codemasters fault they haven't had F2 up to now.

membran

F1 2016 (I've only played the PC version finally had some proper camera options for all the view modes (cockpit, chase, front wing...) you'd expect in a racing game. Adjustable Seat / camera positioning and even a FoV slider.

Going forward, can we expect this to be a standard option in Codemaster's F1 now? Has anybody seen gameplay footage of F1 2017 with some shots of the camera options menu?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
They also added the 1995 and 2007 Ferraris as well.
1995? So expect to pootle around hoping the engine doesn't blow. Very weird choice.

That said, 14 retirements over the season wasn't even close to the worst attrition rate that year, even among the front runners. Imagine that many retirements now.

Anyway, I likely will buy this one after a few years off so looking forward to this.

Juicy Bob

1995? So expect to pootle around hoping the engine doesn't blow. Very weird choice.

That said, 14 retirements over the season wasn't even close to the worst attrition rate that year, even among the front runners. Imagine that many retirements now.

Anyway, I likely will buy this one after a few years off so looking forward to this.
I guarantee it's in the game because it was the last of the V12s.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I guarantee it's in the game because it was the last of the V12s.
But then use the last good V12, the Ferrari Tipo 043 used late in 1994.

The 1995 one was cut to 3 Litre and was really not a patch on the more effective V10 designs at that capacity.

Seeing classic racing cars without the Marlboro sponsorship such as Schmacher's Ferrari or Tommi Makkinen's Lancer Evo VI just feels wrong. Hope you can mod that on pc.

muteki

I'm guessing it isn't going to be possible to have a full field of classic cars from a given year for a "classic race"?

Spades

I'm guessing it isn't going to be possible to have a full field of classic cars from a given year for a "classic race"?

Personally I'd rather they added some sort of support championship than these cars that I'll use once or twice in time trial mode.

Truthfully, Codemasters are still unaccounted for since they had their logo in that image of developer support in October 2016 when Switch was unveiled. So if it's not Dirt 4 or F1 2017, what is it then?

Don't forget about the micromachines game too.

Honestly, I'd rather Codemasters just ported over their Ego engine and stuck Dirt Rally on the thing, that game is close to perfection as far as Rally titles go, and the Switch is easily capable of running it at 60fps.

andshrew

Don't forget about the micromachines game too.

Honestly, I'd rather Codemasters just ported over their Ego engine and stuck Dirt Rally on the thing, that game is close to perfection as far as Rally titles go, and the Switch is easily capable of running it at 60fps.

I doubt it, we didn't get 60fps in their games until the PS4/XBONE and even then it wasn't prefect.

I doubt it, we didn't get 60fps in their games until the PS4/XBONE and even then it wasn't prefect.

That's true, I have Dirt Rally on Xbox One and while the framerate was somehow marginally better than PS4, it's not a rock solid 60fps. But good enough.

As for Dirt Rally, the Ego engine just scales really well, I think they could hit 60fps with visual settings turned down, or 30fps with visual settings on par with PS4. I'd prefer the former.

The game seems to run well enough on the 4-year old Intel HD 4400, or the more recent Intel HD 520.

Juicy Bob

I've always been curious - in career mode, does everyone play as 'themselves' and live out their personal F1 fantasies or do you create an original character and roleplay as them?

My problem is, now Manor have gone, there's not really a team left who I want to help bring glory to which kind of takes me a bit out of it, but if I invented a character to play, then I can just dive in and not think about it.

I really don't get why they always need to launch them half way through the season. It always makes the game completely unappealing to me. :(

xrnzaaas

I've always been curious - in career mode, does everyone play as 'themselves' and live out their personal F1 fantasies or do you create an original character and roleplay as them?

My problem is, now Manor have gone, there's not really a team left who I want to help bring glory to which kind of takes me a bit out of it, but if I invented a character to play, then I can just dive in and not think about it.

I always play as myself, but since Kubica might be returning to F1 it'll be a perfect opportunity to (re)start a spectacular career at Renault. ;)

I really don't get why they always need to launch them half way through the season. It always makes the game completely unappealing to me. :(

It's always been like that. I think it's because it would be hard to create an accurate representation of the new season before it's even started. It's not like with an annual football game where you don't have to plan for any of that. They need to build the exactly same looking cars, create models of new drivers and (in some cases) circuits, they have to include all new regulations for the season and so on.

Risgroo

Oooh
jehftvq.png

Have Codemasters said anything about changing how pitstops work?

Fox Mulder

Just the way the sport it.

How are they supposed to release a game without knowing what the cars look like or how they perform. Teams unveil them days before testing.

Fox Mulder

Ooh, there's now a difficulty slider 0-110%.

The skill gap between levels were previously kind of big. You'd be winning easily on one, only to get fucking blown out when you moved up one level.

NHale

Any Pro/X enchancements? Only a week to go!

Post on the PlaystationBlog:

The next entry in Codemaster's officially-licensed Formula 1 series, F1 2017 brings with it all the high-octane racing action the series has become known for, alongside the industry's latest technological advances and a range of brand-new features, including a 10-year Career Mode.

Launching on 25th August, the team has put the pedal to the metal with PS4 Pro hardware meaning that users will be in for something quite special.

Right out of the paddock, we see an enormous boost to image quality with a full 4K output resolution of 3840 x 2160, achieved through a checkerboard reconstruction technique, meaning that the presentation of every car, component and trackside detail will be pristine.

This is followed up by full support for high dynamic range (HDR) that delivers more crisp, true-to-life colours and a brighter, more natural representation of real-world lighting conditions – all delivered at a super-smooth 60FPS.

The team at Codemasters were able to go even further though, explaining ”we found PS4 Pro's built-in enhancements for checkerboard rendering made the technique much more efficient, leaving valuable GPU time to spend on other visual upgrades."

As such, players can also look forward to improved environment reflections (such as those reflected in the car's bodywork) and enhanced shadow precision, adding to the game's realistic look and feel.

Finally, track shaders also receive an upgrade, once again thanks to the clever design of the PS4 Pro hardware. As the developers explained, ”packed fp16 ALU operations, which are unique to the PS4 Pro in the console space, offer us a very powerful tool for optimising shaders, allowing us to enhance CU occupancy and reduce overall instruction count."

For the less tech-savvie, this ultimately means the hardware design naturally lends itself to providing higher-quality environment shaders, allowing the team to give tracks a more finely-detailed overall appearance.

Last but not least, those using a regular full-HD display will also benefit from hugely-improved image quality thanks to down-sampling. This process allows the console to construct a more finely-detailed 1080p image from the full the 4K render, smoothing jagged edges and refining object and texture detail, particularly at a distance.

DAHGAMING

looking forward to getting this for next weekend, also I get to take a new picture for my avatar which is always a specal time for me.

ramparter

Banned
Just the way the sport it.

How are they supposed to release a game without knowing what the cars look like or how they perform. Teams unveil them days before testing.
Would benefit the game greatly if it released on Friday of the first race imo. Performance could be adjusted with a patch but yeah the models would need time.

Would benefit the game greatly if it released on Friday of the first race imo. Performance could be adjusted with a patch but yeah the models would need time.

I've said before that F1 needs to go the route of early access like Dirt Rally did, launch with half a game and continue adding content over the season.

But I doubt the license allows such a good concept.

Zaru

Nobody would benefit with their current release model.
Codemasters generally abandons their F1 games shortly after release to work on the next one, usually only to fix major bugs and issues within the first two months or so.

If they had released this game back in March, the Red Bull would be missing half of its aero along with many other teams who didn't bring their full package until Melbourne and made major upgrades throughout the first half of the year.
Force India wouldn't even be pink.
Last year, Verstappen and Kvyat would have been stuck at the wrong teams, and lord knows how the game's new Baku track could have turned out with a Spring release (same issue for every newly built track)

Since Codemasters isn't going to do all-season development support for every entry of this series, I'd much rather take a mid-season release than an early season release.

Fox Mulder

Nobody would benefit with their current release model.
Codemasters generally abandons their F1 games shortly after release to work on the next one, usually only to fix major bugs and issues within the first two months or so.

If they had released this game back in March, the Red Bull would be missing half of its aero along with many other teams who didn't bring their full package until Melbourne and made major upgrades throughout the first half of the year.
Force India wouldn't even be pink.
Last year, Verstappen and Kvyat would have been stuck at the wrong teams, and lord knows how the game's new Baku track could have turned out with a Spring release (same issue for every newly built track)

Since Codemasters isn't going to do all-season development support for every entry of this series, I'd much rather take a mid-season release than an early season release.

we didn't even get Ocon added last year. I do not want this game coming out in March or April.

Completely agree. Not in the mood to buy F1 2017, knowing after half the season, the drivers will shuffle around and stuff changes. Such an odd release window.

NHale

While ideal from a hype and publicity aspect, March release is unreasonable and would lead to other severe issues that would impact the game in reviews, public reception and even enjoyment of the game.

You don't need to look further than this year, people on Codemasters forums are furious because the car models aren't updated to the last versions of the car. The T-wings aren't accurate because teams keep introducing new ones, the car numbers are still the old ones (for example, Bottas number in the game is still in red instead of blue), the Mercedes front wing and nose are still the old model. And yes people are complaining a lot about this.

Now let's just entertain the idea of a late March release to coincide with the start of the season. That would require that they have a gold master release in late February at least. F1 Testing started in the last days of February, car reveals started in mid-February and ended in the 1st day of testing. Now please tell me how a March release works, because it simply doesn't. You wouldn't even have half a game, you would simply have F1 2016 in March with game engine updates... It would be a mess of epic proportions, unless you want to release F1 2017 with 2016 models and ruleset (everytime rules change, you need to watch 4-5 races before you have an idea how it's going to work).

Can you imagine a backlash of an official F1 videogame release with last year models? And at that point what's the difference of playing F1 2016 in March instead of F1 2017 with 2016 car models in March? People don't want to race with last year cars, they want the current season. Releasing it earlier with promises of updates during the season, would work terribly because this product is targeted to a mainstream audience that would quit the game before it even got the 2017 car models. And you even have to think about those without a internet connection to update the game...

Seriously people need to start being realistic about F1 games, because it got to a point where people are expecting Codemasters to release an updated game even before F1 teams unveil their cars. And before anyone say that NBA, NHL, MLB, Madden launch before the start of the season with everything updated, it's much simple to change a player from a team considering his body type isn't going to change a lot from year to year and the updated kits for the new season are unveiled early to developers. Can you imagine a F1 team unveiling a car to a game developer just so we can have a game in March? A kit isn't exactly comparable to a secret car design, don't you think?

We have to face the reality of the sport and accept that there is no way to have an updated game early in the season. I still find odd that they wait until August to release though because they launch exactly after the summer break where F1 hype dies down. They should try to push it to June/July and make a marketing push during the end of the 1st half of the season, because right now it's odd to see Codemasters trying to hype a F1 game in the weeks leading to release while real F1 is on their summer break. But an August release is still a lot better and more realistic than a March/April one.

Un4

I kinda want to get this but i read the last one was nearly unplayable with a gamepad. I'm not going to buy a wheel, just need my F1 fix.

Burai

shitonmychest57
EA released F1 2000 in time for the start of the season and it was a rushed, buggy mess with awful presentation, team and driver performance levels all wrong, trackside hoardings all wrong . They released a finished version "F1 Championship Season 2000" in time for Christmas. We don't need that again.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
people on Codemasters forums are furious

I have been using forums for 18 years now, and have only ever been banned twice. One was a deserved temp ban here on gaf because of a poorly worded response to a troll. The other one was received on codemasters' forum for losing the plot at the "immersion" crowd a few days after f12011 released. Dear god, there are some really petty people over there.

F12011 released days before the first practice session for the Singapore Grand Prix. No sooner than the practice session had started, a thread was started complaining that one of the advertising banners wasn't quite right, and the op launched into a rant about how it was "totally ruining his immersion". He used the word immersion about fifty times during his rant and decided to call codemasters all kinds of names for not caring about his "immersion".

I told him to grow up and get a fucking life. Gladly took a temp ban and never returned.

NHale

I have been using forums for 18 years now, and have only ever been banned twice. One was a deserved temp ban here on gaf because of a poorly worded response to a troll. The other one was received on codemasters' forum for losing the plot at the "immersion" crowd a few days after f12011 released. Dear god, there are some really petty people over there.

F12011 released days before the first practice session for the Singapore Grand Prix. No sooner than the practice session had started, a thread was started complaining that one of the advertising banners wasn't quite right, and the op launched into a rant about how it was "totally ruining his immersion". He used the word immersion about fifty times during his rant and decided to call codemasters all kinds of names for not caring about his "immersion".

I told him to grow up and get a fucking life. Gladly took a temp ban and never returned.

That looks like a Codemasters message board all right. Please don't go there now. The Bottas number 77 in red thread was just a show of the complete toxicity of the gaming community and that's just one of the examples (The lack of official F1 HUD is a bigger one but not as crazy). Thankfully Codemasters closes those threads pretty quickly. I really believe people are trolling until some started getting very personal about caring about F1 since 1980 and naming the developers that should be fired and hoping Codemasters go bankrupt. "How can I enjoy an official F1 game if my car number should be blue but it's red? I can't make corners if I'm always looking at the wrong color number".

Quite frankly I'm starting to don't see any upside for developers to have message boards or comments in news sites. It's a complete cesspool.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
So isn't this the release where Liberty is getting feedback from the community on different race weekend formats?

xrnzaaas

Nice career impressions vid from WTF1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2UpaOkWQjM

I like the vehicle management stuff, but the development tree sure looks intimidating. At least there's a recommendation button if you're not sure what to invest in next.

Also it's disappointing that they still didn't make different podium celebrations for drivers like Raikkonen or Ricciardo. ;)

NHale

Looks like this one is pretty good

DHxcfefXUAAf-he.jpg

Be careful because most of those reviews are as shallow as a feature list (and for some reason the biggest outlets don't have a review ready which looks a little shady...). In fact most of those reviews released yesterday are just an expanded feature list with a grade in the end. That's why aggregators like Metacritic suck.

I've only a see a couple of actual reviews out there, GTPlanet is the better available at the moment. It actually analyses the actual game and not just the features on paper. I'm waiting for Eurogamer review if it's done by Martin Robinson, he's one of the few mainstream reviewers that actually have at least a slight grip on what a racing game should be...

I also watched a bunch of videos from the YT influencers and I've seen some of the same problems in the game. The AI looks slightly better in terms of fighting for position but they still enter self preservation too often when you divebomb like Verstappen. Most of those divebombs in reality would end in a crash because they done so late, the car in front has no way to know it's going to happen but in the game the AI just brakes and gives you the "espace" necessary for you to miss the apex entirely and still not crash into them. It's stupid because it looks like the AI fights you better and defend better when you are in a normal position to try an overtake than in divebomb situations. Imho those divebombs should always end in a crash, because if you are racing online that's what is going to happen 10 times out of 10. On the other hand, I've seen good stuff from the AI especially when they stick around in the outside for a couple of corners instead of giving up in the exit of the 1st corner and in some cases end up keeping the position.

The car development RPG tree looks interesting at first (especially the part where R&D can fail) but I still can't to see how it should be considered a great improvement of last year because it's still tied to boring practice trials and racing achievements. I think they should look at Motorsport Manager and try to emulate the development part of that game which is staff and money driven (racing achievements would matter a lot of course because of the prize money). The car part management where you have to manage the different engine components and gearboxes look great on paper but it's still early to see if the execution is as good as it seems (most videos available are from early part of career)

I know they are emulating real life but the fact that every race is a 1-stop strategy doesn't seem a lot exciting for racing in career because you already know the strategy of the AI. It's hard to gauge this without playing but from the videos from YT influencers, cars look more lively this year which is a good thing and it's easier to make mistakes which is also great. They added spectator spots for online races which is a great addition for leagues while public lobbies will continue to be complete shit like usual.

After all this and because I'm weak and love racing games, I'm still going to buy it at launch like a fool. I believe the only Codemasters F1 game I didn't buy was F1 2014 after the F1 2013 disaster.

Zaru

Be careful because most of those reviews are as shallow as a feature list (and for some reason the biggest outlets don't have a review ready which looks a little shady...).

One of those reviews sold most of the features that were already in F1 2016 as new/first time features. They really don't know what they're talking about.

If this game is just a slightly expanded F1 2016 then I'll be absolutely happy, since they don't seem to have taken anything out and last year's installment was my favorite F1 game since Grand Prix 3.

But agreed on the pitstop issue, last year had plenty of strategy both in real life and the game, so we'll lose that wonderful aspect just like in real life. I wonder if the hardest compound per track will be completely useless as well...

Top Bottom