• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2017 announced for 25th August 2017 (PS4, XB1, PC)

Juicy Bob

So far my biggest issue is the font size for everything.

I don't have eye problems but I can't read anything on my modest screen at 1080p.

Add to that that the HUD text is lost against the white cockpit of my Williams, its really inconvenient.

That said, I have a lot of good to say about this game so far.

Randdalf

I'm really happy they put in a difficulty slider - I could never nail down the right difficulty in the last edition.

My problem ended up being that my qualifying pace was rubbish, but I could bully the AI in the race and get good results. Watching some YouTuber videos that seems improved this year, but the 'ol divebomb seems only slightly less effective.

Even if this is not a drastic change (I deeply want a full career mode with feeder series and driver swaps...) from 2016, I've been playing that game regularly since it came out. So it makes sense to get this otherwise I'd just keep on playing the old one. I even ended up going to the British Grand Prix IRL because the game rekindled my interest in F1.

NHale

They do look better. You can see them in some of the videos out already. I still think a few need work like Sainz.

They still suffer from the wax syndrome. Especially the team principals...

Still waiting for Martin Robinson's review to see if I should buy it or not. GTPlanet review leads me to buy but I'm not convinced yet. Overall I like what I've seen in the videos (except for the AI allowing divebombs very easily....) but YT influencers are still influencers in the end.

Looking at reviews, I completely forgot how F1 2015 got so many bad reviews. It has a 65 metacritic which is around the same as the disasters aka F1 2013/F1 2014. F1 2015 was very barebones but at least the basics were good unlike those other 2 games.

Fox Mulder

They still suffer from the wax syndrome. Especially the team principals...

Still waiting for Martin Robinson's review to see if I should buy it or not. GTPlanet review leads me to buy but I'm not convinced yet. Overall I like what I've seen in the videos (except for the AI allowing divebombs very easily....) but YT influencers are still influencers in the end.

Looking at reviews, I completely forgot how F1 2015 got so many bad reviews. It has a 65 metacritic which is around the same as the disasters aka F1 2013/F1 2014. F1 2015 was very barebones but at least the basics were good unlike those other 2 games.

They got spanked for no career in 2015. They have improved it each year since as it's really the legs of the game. Online dies kind of quickly and I never really bother with that anyways.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody else pre-ordered the game on Cdkeys.com? Wondering if keys have started going out? Haven't seen anything on my side yet.

mxgt

Banned
Anybody else pre-ordered the game on Cdkeys.com? Wondering if keys have started going out? Haven't seen anything on my side yet.

Yeah I got mine a few days ago.

I didn't actually get an e-mail for it - I just checked the 'download' link in my order confirmation e-mail and it had the key so I have preloaded.

Pretty excited about this, haven't played one of these in a while and have my wheel ready to rock.

Not going to lie I am super pissed there's no coop season again. Doesn't have to be coop career, but still give us something more than one step up from when we had to use an excel spreadsheet.

There can't be many sports more suited to a proper coop mode than this. It's the perfect balance of PvE and PvP

Home from lunch and no sign of the game although the post hasn't been yet. Fingers crossed base.com come through for me a day early like they did with wipeout.

KdotIX

Not going to lie I am super pissed there's no coop season again. Doesn't have to be coop career, but still give us something more than one step up from when we had to use an excel spreadsheet.

There can't be many sports more suited to a proper coop mode than this. It's the perfect balance of PvE and PvP

No co-op, really?

There goes any chance of buying this.

There's online seasons mode. Its kinda like co-op plus. You can play it as a co-op season, or you and your buddy could play in different teams and battle off against each other that way. Whats good about this mode is that its not just restricted to just 2 players either.

Speaking of online seasons - Will there be some kind of Neogaf League for this game?

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah I got mine a few days ago.

I didn't actually get an e-mail for it - I just checked the 'download' link in my order confirmation e-mail and it had the key so I have preloaded.

Pretty excited about this, haven't played one of these in a while and have my wheel ready to rock.

i ordered it yesterday and got my code through instantly. have it preloaded on steam now.

Yeah ok this is a dumb system lol.. Anyway, I got my key so I'm happy.

I'll be streaming it in about 30 mins...twitch.tv/oldgit_gamer. :)

[
CejUmlN.jpg

UDP telemetry built in, tablet owners rejoice .:p

CaLe

I'll be streaming it in about 30 mins...twitch.tv/oldgit_gamer. :)

[
CejUmlN.jpg

UDP telemetry built in, tablet owners rejoice .:p

How does the telemetry work exactly ? Do you need an Android tablet ?

I wish we had an OT, I just seriously got into racing games on PC (just bought my Thrustmaster T300 RS!) and I feel like I discovered my calling.

KdotIX

Yeah I'm surprised that there is no OT this year. Seems to have slipped through the net.

Also, I'll ask again, is there currently a Neogaf League for F1 games? If so, will there be one for 2017? If not, should one be organised?

mxgt

Banned
Played for about an hour this morning before work.

Performance, just like last year, is great. Runs solid at 100fps (my refresh rate), max settings, at 3440x1440 res.

Can't really give many more impressions as all I did was some time trial around Australia, but it feels good.

danowat

Banned
The only download version is the special edition at £55?, or is the special edition the normal edition?

confused..........

Other half let me know mine came a few hrs ago, should be home by 4:30 and get streaming it. :)

They didn't come through for me :( Hoping it arrives today even at this point. Ordered for well over 40 quid and I'm having to wait part way through release day for it to arrive.. I came into work when I would have had the day off otherwise. If it's not come by the time I finish I'll buy it locally and send base their game back for a refund, I need me some F1.

Södy

The only download version is the special edition at £55?, or is the special edition the normal edition?

confused..........

Special edition is the normal version with the 1988 McLaren. More of a "PreOrder" or "Day1" Edition bonus.

Randdalf

I'm trying this year without the braking guides, it's a bit of a struggle... guess I just gotta practice and find how to spot the braking points.

Also the tyre wear practice programme seems just as baffling as last year (on a pad)

NHale

Any PS4 Pro impressions? Debating whether to go PC or PS4.

Game looks fantastic on PS4 Pro this year with a 4k TV. You can definitely see the significant improvement in image quality from F1 2016 to F1 2017 if you have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV. F1 2016 wasn't Pro enhanced btw.

I only played 2 quick races (1 raining and 1 dry) and a bunch of time trials and I didn't notice any screen tearing (some people are saying it's there) or big framerate drops.

HDR is also very well implemented in this game. The lighting is definitely improved because of this, it looks much more natural especially in overcast situations where it almost looks real.

Gameplay wise I'm so impressed with the game so far but I've only played a little. AI is still 90% shit though. Finally they nailed slipstream (it's there but it's not a hyper mega power boost anymore, for example with a McHonda you are not faster than a Force India in a straight even with slipstream)

But the biggest driving improvement for me so far is the wake effect generated by the car ahead of you. You can definitely feel the loss of downforce in the front wing if you run too close to a car especially in high speed corners, the car simply start to understeer and you can't keep in the racing line.

This sounds like a good entry in the series. I would definitely purchase on PC if VR support was added. Seems like the kind of racing game I would enjoy given the attention to the single player experience. Oh well. PCars2 can't come soon enough.

Megasoum

Banned
Kvyat just won the first Grand Prix in my career... after retiring on the last lap.

WutFace

Kimi won the Australian GP in my career and Anthony Davidson started talking about how he won by using proper strategy around the safety car deployment during the race....

There was no safety car during the race lol

Dommel

Any PS4 Pro impressions? Debating whether to go PC or PS4.

Plenty of tearing on a Pro 4k which disappointed me on the first lap.

It's really obvious too when you are in slow turns or go off the track, hopefully that will be patched quickly.

amar212

What's even weirder is that the times of the cars behind him were actually ahead of him :lol:

Such a weird bug to have in a game made by a studio which basically only makes racing games.

Does that mean that Ghost Drivers are basically again present?

membran

Whoa. The game even supports rumble triggers on PC with my Xbox One pad. This was unexpected. I somehow thought Microsoft had dips on that feature and it only was available on console and Win 10 UWP games. Anyway... that's great stuff, but I haven't yet found a steering linearity / saturation setting that I'm comfortable yet on the gamepad. This year's gamepad controls seem to be a bit weird and requiring a bit of time getting used to.

Top Bottom