• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

oSoLucky

Really not feeling that new face.

The old one had more character. This new one just looks like standard supermodel X.

I agree with you there. Square Enix from both sides of the Pacific going full waifu at this point. I wish that they focused most of their attention on, I don't know......the world, or some gameplay inconsistencies instead of Lara's character model.

Mikey Jr.

I feel like I am fortunate to not have played this, so paying full price for this game isn't that big of a deal to me.

RyudBoy

Aside from the fact that Lara looks better (the hair AND her face), I don't think the improvements are substantial at all.

Certainly not worth paying $60.

KlotePino

I was in for this, having just started the PC version but not committing to it I thought this would be a great pickup and I had faith they would make more. I even really like Lara's new design and the fact that they would ask 60 again actually made me hopeful this could be a true next-gen showcase. But I'm just not really feeling it here, seems like one of those comparison video's between PhysX off and on. You see it, but you it's not that big of a deal.

bremon

I'm all for better visuals, but PS3 version for $15 has the same gameplay, and I'm not sure the facelift is a $45 improvement.

oSoLucky

30fps 1080p for $60

60+FPS 1080p+ for less than $10

Will the graphical bells and whistles of the PS4 version be better than 2x or more framerates of the old graphics?

No chance, but there are plenty of players that own a PS4 but not a gaming PC.

hawk2025

It's kind of weird -- I *would* have been willing to pay $60 for less of a graphical glitz improvement and instead a locked 60fps experience, but I don't want to do it for what we seem to be getting.

dEvAnGeL

if a mod can please lock this tread, cant have a nice conversation without the PC wrongful and bad blooded comparisons, sad

When will someone do a PS4 vs. ultra PC settings comparison?

It's not that much different from the PC version but what I'd really like to see is the PS4 vs Xbone vid. And I can't believe they managed to get TressFX in there, amazing considering it ran like shit on my system. heh

your latest upgrade, what about the rest you didnt upgrade? we know PC games look better, perform better, i have a gaming PC, but to blatantly compare performance per dollar with a ps4 is kind of silly, that console gives you very good visuals for a very affordable price, nobody can deny that

I didn´t upgrade the rest because i didn´t need to. What a nice option this is. I won´t say the performance per dollar is bad on the ps4, i just say a random comment "400 vs..? " is bad.

esterk

I thought it looked good...until I saw those crappy explosions. What the hell? Some of them look like blown up sprites.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
:p They are. Quite impressive since it was almost a 20fps drop when activated in the PC version.

I'm not sure what's impressive about this. They'd have a lot more room to work with if they cut such a gimmicky effect out. They may have even had a shot at 60fps.

Pimpbaa

Lighting looks better, and the sweat effect on Lara is nice. But the video quality is too shitty to see how much the textures have improved (and the effects on them). I never judge a games graphics based on a shitty video, just isn't a smart thing to do.

Quaz51

iy2u.jpg

Hawk269

not impressed.

Same. In one sequence, when they are showing Lara climbing that tower, the switch between the two and it is looking down at Lara and I thought the PS3 version looked a little better in that one sequence. Overall, yes, it does look better, but not that much better, which brings in the question about the cost of the game to consumers.

I own Tomb Raider on PC. I played it in 3D with Tress FX. I really enjoyed it, although I had to dial back the detail slider in order to keep the game above 30 fps (my processor is a little on the old side, and that seemed to be the only setting that was really processor dependent. my GPU had more than enough horsepower for the title).

I am going to buy the game and replay it on PS4 for $60.

CONTROVERSY!

I really like the graphical improvements and I was planning on replaying it anyways. I just wish the PS4 version offered 3D support.

Nev

Banned
So, 60$ for literally the same game with the exact same gameplay due to it being 30fps despite the enormous hardware difference between last and next gen?
If last gen HD remakes, collections or whatever were acceptable it was because they made the games run at HD resolutions (big leap from PS2 gen) and 60fps, apart from achievements/trophies and other secondary stuff. But this? This is fucking pathetic and really sad.

Looks much better in some places, not much better in others. Cheapest this game is launching at is £35 but I have a feeling the price will drop quite quickly. Gonna hold out for this one. I didn't play it on current-gen.

dEvAnGeL

ill be interested to know if this version has tessellation, hopefully it does, will wait on digital foundry before picking this up, but definitely on my radar

Lara's new face looks much better. Do the complainers ever get tired of being wrong?

Otherwise, the game just looks a little sharper. I'm not convinced.

SJRB

Gold Member
of course they are, but following your question, a comparison video between ps3 and ps4, not ps4 and pc

I think that the comparisons are not for the sake of "PC master racing", but wether or not this definitive version adds enough new stuff that it's worth paying full retail for.

With the PC version being available for 15 bucks and looking similar to the next gen version, it's hard to brush that fact aside. The price/value has always been a hot topic of discussion when it comes to this definitive version, a lot of people seem to question why this game has to cost so much when it adds so relatively little.

Top Bottom