• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The FTC Trial Unmasks Xbox’s Ambitions

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just like Playstation gamers are now getting all these great new Bethesda games right?
He was also arguing with me earlier that Zenimax games will be decided on a "case by case" basis.

He also said case by case basis and he also said we will support existing games with communities. Why you not highlighting that part? Deal is done to strengthen MS first party and not to pull games which are already on PS. They committing to what they said. They honored all the deals and supporting all their online games on PS. Future games will be case by case basis. They were crystal clear. He never once said every Future Bethesda games will come to PS. Just twisting the words and giving different meaning. Seriously i see similarities between you guys and those clowns working at FTC, idk why lol.

And EU also called CMA lie over twitter remember? Eu commission said MS never commited to bring every Bethesda games to PS. They publicly called CMA out over this.

Now that it has been revealed that Microsoft did indeed lie and that "case by case" basis was simply a smokescreen, the argument has shifted to that PlayStation fans are being selfish for not supporting this deal.

DrFigs

It wasn't clear to me why MS is allowed to mention that they made these 10 year deals with other companies to the judge when apparently, the FTC hasn't seen the contracts and the Nintendo rep who was interviewed by the FTC seemingly didn't know anything about it? (The whole situation was a bit fuzzy to me, but this is my understanding.)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Oh no, company wants to make money, HOW DARE THEY?

No, seriously, I won't believe anyone "surprised" by companies doing dirt shit to dominate, Sony has been doing so since forever, they barely got a foot in this industry and were already doing dirt shit. So does Nintendo.

If people think third party exclusivity for Xbox is bad, so should be said for Sony, they've done it in spades far more than MS.
There’s a lot of selective reading in the documents leaked. To me the email from Jim Ryan demanding everything remains multiplat « in the interest of gamers » is the most egregious shit I’ve read recently.

I think this whole airing of dirty laundry won’t change anyone’s opinion and will instead give confirmation bias to people who have already sided either way.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There’s a lot of selective reading in the documents leaked. To me the email from Jim Ryan demanding everything remains multiplat « in the interest of gamers » is the most egregious shit I’ve read recently.

I think this whole airing of dirty laundry won’t change anyone’s opinion and will instead give confirmation bias to people who have already sided either way.
Why is that egregious? Sony made Bungie games multiplatform. They are asking the same thing from Microsoft.

Elog

I am simply amazed at how talentless MS obvisouly is. Did anyone at MS think about building up studios, be an attractive employer and simply create good games as a core strategy?

That some people that call themselves gamers are still defending these mediocre suits is completely beyond me at this point.

Alebrije

Microsoft after eating all the industry

matilda-chocolate-cake.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why is that egregious? Sony made Bungie games multiplatform. They are asking the same thing from Microsoft.
"Made"? They already were, but I could give it to you if they made Final Fantasy 7R, its sequels and FF16 multi.

The funny thing is that here in GAF the opinion is strongly against MS, but in other places like Youtube I've seen the polar opposite, here it's "Sony is winning, MS is laughable", then in other places it's like "MS is winning, purchase is basically done because Sony shitshow", etc. lol

I am simply amazed at how talentless MS obvisouly is. Did anyone at MS think about building up studios, be an attractive employer and simply create good games as a core strategy?

That some people that call themselves gamers are still defending these mediocre suits is completely beyond me at this point.
AFAIK even Bungie's Halo was an acquisition from Apple back in the day. Building up their own studios is something that MS was never really interested in.

Even if approved, I don't see any benefit to Xbox gamers that wasn't already there. The games were already coming to Xbox platforms, I would like to see new IP's that make you want to buy the system. XBOX needs actual exclusives. Can we do something cool with Rare? There is zero excitement around the seriesX.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Made"? They already were, but I could give it to you if they made Final Fantasy 7R, its sequels and FF16 multi.

The funny thing is that here in GAF the opinion is strongly against MS, but in other places like Youtube I've seen the polar opposite, here it's "Sony is winning, MS is laughable", then in other places it's like "MS is winning, purchase is basically done because Sony shitshow", etc. lol
It's all how you curate what you consume.

Solidus_T

Even if approved, I don't see any benefit to Xbox gamers that wasn't already there. The games were already coming to Xbox platforms, I would like to see new IP's that make you want to buy the system. XBOX needs actual exclusives. Can we do something cool with Rare? There is zero excitement around the seriesX.
Yeah. the whole plan was not about more games for Xbox owners, but less for everyone else.

hyperbertha

Judge Corley handling these cases for last 30 years. She highly respected judge. Accusing her like this without any proof is nonsense.
Do you know what conflict of interest is? It's enough to get most people out of the position and absolutely actionable, no matter who they are.

Yeah. the whole plan was not about more games for Xbox owners, but less for everyone else.
That’s the long and short of it.

Literally when the CMA blocked the deal no-one lost anything.

I’m unaffected by Bethesda and ABK acquisitions as I don’t play the games, but I will be affected via more consolidation.

It’s clear Microsoft don’t want to compete with PlayStation and Nintendo. Instead they want to bypass the hardwork and skip straight to being Disney by buying up IP and gradually foreclosing others.

It’s also becoming clearer and clearer that they don’t have much love for the console audience. Phil was willing to drop Xbox and go mobile - I can’t foresee Sony or Nintendo having that attitude.

That’s fine - they don’t have to want to be in the console space, but consolidating and ruining that market because of your apparent blind hate for Sony is ridiculous.

Microsoft wants to win the console wars. What is new? Who wants not to win?
A company unsure of a success and telling the media it is a guaranteed hit. What is new? What company ever admitted doubt about a product they are about to release?
A console maker buying games to make them exclusive. What is new? Why would they buy games?

What? What is it?
They did..boehoe...whe are third place and whe are doing what whe can but whe cant do it like this. Sony is always outtbidding us for a timed excl deal..So whe made a plan to buy as many developers and publishers as whe can (MS is paying the bill) So first whe tell every whe want to bring theyr games on all platforms .
When whe bought those publishers, (except Activision Blizzard whe dont own them yet) whe then flip a switch and make al does games exclusive to Xbox and our ecosystem.
Easy Peasy...

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Marathon was already made exclusive? Or did Sony made it multiplatform?

And for Final Fantasy, you are thinking of Square Enix, not Sony.

He was also arguing with me earlier that Zenimax games will be decided on a "case by case" basis.

Now that it has been revealed that Microsoft did indeed lie and that "case by case" basis was simply a smokescreen, the argument has shifted to that PlayStation fans are being selfish for not supporting this deal.

PS gamers really want Bethesda games, do you all really want Redfall huh

You want PlayStation gamers to support this acquisition that creates a direct risk for them? If they don't support it, they are "selfish?"

Regarding exclusive content, you should blame Microsoft that declined Activision's offer.

91n2C0f.jpg
Reason for decline was simple. Activision charging way more than MS for deal. Market leaders get better deal.

MS was forced into 80-20% revenue share and then marketing deal which was offered also not favourable to MS.
Sony being market leader was getting better and cheaper deals.

Im not gonna accept your offer if Activision will charge absurd amount of money and put stupid conditions into deal.

MS took the deal during 360 gen as they were lead platform for CoD, so they were getting favourable deals, now they were not. Its crystal clear after Sarah revealed that forced revenue share and unfavourable conditions were reason behind she not going with deal. If deal was good then why would MS say No, when they were saying yes during 360 gen?

Baseless argument. Grasping for straws like FTC to make your point.

I don't want any of them as this is how much I like Bethesda games.

DgpS8F6.jpg

It is a matter of principle and previous statements, that's it. The quality of the game should not be a factor.
So fake outrage.

Principle of Sony fans -

Psfanboys - Sony can make every game exclusive coz games will have that Sony fragrance. Spiderman and FF all permanent exclusive, no problem with that but MS starts flexing their muscles to boost their market position.
"ITS AGAINST THE PRINCIPLE. ITS WRONG. Phill is a liar and Jimbo pls be my daddy."

Smh. Hypocrites

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So fake outrage.

Principle of Sony fans -

Psfanboys - Sony can make every game exclusive coz games will have that Sony fragrance. Spiderman and FF all permanent exclusive, no problem with that but MS starts flexing their muscles to boost their market position.
"ITS AGAINST THE PRINCIPLE. ITS WRONG. Phill is a liar and Jimbo pls be my daddy."

Smh. Hypocrites
You're complaining about no Spider-Man. Wait until you find out what cunt kept it off Xbox! 😂

Last edited:
It also unmasked Microsoft shills :messenger_smirking:

But I'm biased. I like Japanese games and don't want MS to Americanise the industry. Persona with fat girls lol.
blessed and hilarious post
So fake outrage.

Principle of Sony fans -

Smh. Hypocrites
idk mate, I feel like you may be getting a bit too emotionally invested in megacorporation pr drama

You're complaining about no Spider-Man. Wait until you find out what cunt kept it off Xbox! 😂
MS said no to Spiderman i know.

But offer was given around time when Xbox as whole was dealing with disastrous launch of Xbox one. Plus MS had no good studios to make Spiderman that time like they have now. They knew, they wouldn't do justice to the franchise and might not be able to deliver quality Spiderman. So Marvel going to Sony was good decision as Sony had studios to make one.

But its the question of principle right? Spiderman IP when it used to be multiplatform and loved by fans across all platforms was taken away from PC and Xbox both? Im just giving a counter argument to that BS Principle argument that was made.

Now me personally not against Spiderman being exclusive. Sony doing what's best for their business and MS doing what's best for them.

Its dirty business, but its business. America has not become economic super power by doing fair business based on some principles

Crayon

MS said no to Spiderman i know.

But offer was given around time when Xbox as whole was dealing with disastrous launch of Xbox one. Plus MS had no good studios to make Spiderman that time like they have now. They knew, they wouldn't do justice to the franchise and might not be able to deliver quality Spiderman. So Marvel going to Sony was good decision as Sony had studios to make one.

But its the question of principle right? Spiderman IP when it used to be multiplatform and loved by fans across all platforms was taken away from PC and Xbox both? Im just giving a counter argument to that BS Principle argument that was made.

Now me personally not against Spiderman being exclusive. Sony doing what's best for their business and MS doing what's best for them.

Its dirty business, but its business. America has not become economic super power by doing fair business based on some principles

We've also not become an economic superpower by letting aggressive monopolies develop and run roughshod over markets. Sure sony would if they could, but they can't. MS can and that is at the center of all of this. It is not very persuasive to say sony does it too. They don't. They won't. They can't. Even if they would. It would make more sense to say google and apple do it, too. Even with those companies not in the conversation, it would still logically make more sense.

Can be said to you or anyone making argument in favour of Sony?

im Making counter argument. You can't have one sided argument all the time.
Im not making any pro sony statement, nor do I care too much about the future of sony. I do think that if MS were to succeed in their aims, the whole of the gaming landscape would suffer as a result.

Katatonic

I think the majority of people who are classified as against MS, actually want to see MS succeed in a more creative ways (as opposed to brute force), and simply detest and push back against nonsense PR and what occasionally appears to be outright lies.
I actually just want to see them fuck off at this point. Stick to Office or whatever.

Crayon

I actually just want to see them fuck off at this point. Stick to Office or whatever.

I'm down. My best case would be the tech monsters move wholesale into mobile where the real money is at. Then hopefully leave real games alone to be a relatively small and risky sector that's not worth it for them. It would be awesome to see a company like Samsung step in and challenge sony. Any actual business that has to make good products to sell and is motivated by profit instead of control. I really don't think valve, sony, and nintendo need a company like ms to "keep them honest".

SABRE220

Microsoft has got nothing to add to the console and gaming space. They could disappear tomorrow and nothing was lost.
While I hate Microsofts approach of buying out the market the fact is Sony needs a direct competitor. Giving Sony free reign will benefit no one and Sony arent saints themselves as we have seen when they go on their arrogant streak so aslong as the regulators do their job Microsoft is a necessary player in the market and if they manage to stop thinking of buying the damn market is the only solution maybe they can study their success during the 360gen when they actually kicked ass and made me buy their console.

twilo99

How many of Sony's studios were acquired when they launched the PS brand and how many were.. "organically" grown within the company?

MacReady13

Many of us saw this years ago. Microsoft just willing to buy their way to the top. Pathetic practise and so obvious to anyone without their Xbox coloured glasses on.

Elog

How many of Sony's studios were acquired when they launched the PS brand and how many were.. "organically" grown within the company?
Not sure if you go back top the PS1 era but over the last decade it is basically only Bungie that is a straight acquisition. All others are organically grown - either at arm's length where Sony is their key partner that eventually become an acquisition (e.g., Housemarque) or as an internal daughter company from the start.

What I think people have been mostly annoyed at are the timed exclusive deals that Sony has made - but people forget that such deals are done during development which means that Sony takes product development risk and finance part of the development (i.e., Sony takes risk off the books of the developer).

MS has chosen a very different path than Sony and Nintendo for some reason.

TrueGrime

Not sure if you go back top the PS1 era but over the last decade it is basically only Bungie that is a straight acquisition. All others are organically grown - either at arm's length where Sony is their key partner that eventually become an acquisition (e.g., Housemarque) or as an internal daughter company from the start.

What I think people have been mostly annoyed at are the timed exclusive deals that Sony has made - but people forget that such deals are done during development which means that Sony takes product development risk and finance part of the development (i.e., Sony takes risk off the books of the developer).

MS has chosen a very different path than Sony and Nintendo for some reason.

TIL I learned that organic isn't creating studios from scratch, but approaching smaller, 3rd party developers to make exclusives for your console over and over before just buying them outright. It's still organic, even if that developer has made games for other platforms in the past.

Organic, everyone.

Solidus_T

This is a disingenuous question as the Xbox brand launched over 20 years ago. This is not part of them launching Xbox, but rather paying to make up for their failures.

//DEVIL//

Lol you don't want to go there .

From naughty dog to insomniac.. they were all bought. They only have like 2 or 3 studios only that were formed. Including polyphony or whatever the gt team is called

It's just somehow its OK for Sony to do. But if MS does it? It's Armageddon

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

This is a scathing write up, and while it's an opinion editorial, I believe it alludes to, if not straight up tells, many truths to how this industry is ran. In saying that, the absolutely laughable 180 some people are displaying, regarding any content from IGN, is very telling. It shows many of the same inconsistencies that are displayed with DF content. That the narrative, that many of people paint here at NeoGAF, is filled with confirmation bias. "It's only true if it fits my preconceived beliefs".

I would hope anyone who has made statements such as "IGN are nothing but corporate mouthpieces", "IGN only says what they are told to say", etc etc etc, would do the intellectually honest thing and dismiss this article as "shilling for (enter name) company".

Barakov

Gold Member
With how much they wanted to get away from MS, I'm surprised they entertained the idea. Then again Bungie are right whores. Probably have video game studio STD's.
Yup. Marty O'Donnell said it best when he said something along the lines of getting Bungie out Microsoft but not getting Microsoft out of Bungie.

BbMajor7th

It's just somehow its OK for Sony to do. But if MS does it? It's Armageddon
Jesus wept... No one bitched when MS bought Ninja Theory or Obsidian, even though they had no real history with those developers. They bitching now because MS has gone from buying developers to buying entire publishers with multiple studios and dozens of IPs - IPs that were all headed to to thier platforms anyway.

The fucking victimisation complex on this shit.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Oh no, company wants to make money, HOW DARE THEY?

No, seriously, I won't believe anyone "surprised" by companies doing dirt shit to dominate, Sony has been doing so since forever, they barely got a foot in this industry and were already doing dirt shit. So does Nintendo.

If people think third party exclusivity for Xbox is bad, so should be said for Sony, they've done it in spades far more than MS.
This is purely a clickbait article. Not surprised gaffers are latching onto it as the next GOTCHA.

93xfan

Banned
Microsoft has got nothing to add to the console and gaming space. They could disappear tomorrow and nothing was lost.
-Backwards compatibility.
-Forwards compatibility.
-A company that isn’t frugal about their servers
-A game company that doesn’thave their president trashing their games from generations ago “who’d want to play that?”
-free enhancements for old games
-free cloud saves
-competition
-quick resume for multiple games

Gamepass

Last edited:

Crayon

-Backwards compatibility.
-Forwards compatibility.
-A company that isn’t frugal about their servers
-A game company that doesn’thave their president trashing their games from generations ago “who’d want to play that?”
-free enhancements for old games
-free cloud saves
-competition
-quick resume for multiple games

ZO7ks0jAaYnQ.gif

93xfan

Banned
Yeah, a company taking care of their legacy games is such a non issue right? Oh and forward compatibility is a non issue when building a gaming library, right?

So glad this deal went through and all of you can come kicking and screaming along for the ride while saying you don’t want old games.

Bet none of you are buying the Metal Gear Solid Remaster Collection then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom