• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

scitek

The only thing that genuinely made me jump was when you
go into a bathroom to grab the keys so you can open a garage door and hop into a car, and a Taken jumps out of a stall on your way out.
Totally wasn't expecting it.

aeolist

Banned
The only thing that genuinely made me jump was when you
go into a bathroom to grab the keys so you can open a garage door and hop into a car, and a Taken jumps out of a stall on your way out.
Totally wasn't expecting it.

The room was dark and all the stalls were shut. It was pretty obvious but yeah, a good moment.

Really nice to see the PC crowd on GAF here really enjoying the game and the story. The ending to the special episode 2 should be great for people who are enjoying the game a lot! :D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the scariest moment in the game near Lover's Peak. I decided to upload it.

Scary Moment in Alan Wake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZ2KF5X5oc

I love the little touches like this that they put throughout the game, it just really drives up the atmosphere.

scitek

The room was dark and all the stalls were shut. It was pretty obvious but yeah, a good moment.

I know! It was because
he literally jumps out at you, like the flaming ganado that bursts out of the locker in RE4. All the other enemies approach slowly by comparison.
:p

ArjanN

I remember on the way in I checked all the toilet stalls, noticed they were locked, and totally realized I was going to get jumped on the way out.

Didn't they do that exact same scare in Max Payne?

The hidden chests gave me a bit of that Doom 3 feeling: "Hey, look over here: a bunch of supplies, I'm sure nothing bad will happen when you pick these up...uhoh monster closet time" :p

I know! It was because
he literally jumps out at you, like the flaming ganado that bursts out of the locker in RE4. All the other enemies approach slowly by comparison.
:p

Yeah, there's not that many jump scares. For normal enemies it even does that neat camera thing where it zooms out to show you where the enemy is.

aeolist

Banned
It's hilarious to me that Alan Wake has totally justified the old-school PC game "enemies spawn from thin air" gimmick

I love the commentary on how the US recession was formed. /s
  • Lives in trailer
  • Dead plants on porch
  • Fence is broken
  • Terrible yard upkeep
  • Brand new Ford Fiesta
g5Z3N.jpg

scitek

I really appreciate, much like how Tom Hanks is considered the nicest guy in Hollywood and his name is "THanks", this game blurs the line between nightmares and reality and his name's "AWake."

ctrayne

I don't have time for bullshit stories and repetitive, endless encounters in games anymore. This one has both. :(

The whole game is running off of it's own nonexistent logic. It's like fantasy books where wizards can cast whatever spell "just because". I read up on the DLC and it appears to be more of the exact same thing. And I'm still hearing that obnoxious screeching noise from the light hitting the enemies in my head. Wired put it best: "Alan Wake starts strong but finishes weak; neither the gameplay nor the story deliver on their potential by the time the credits roll."

The game is beautiful (besides the facial animation) but it's going to my Steam "pile of shame". It's too bad, because I love Max Payne 1+2, and the first hour or so had promise.

Edit: I should add that there are certainly clever moments and brilliant little jabs, but the plot as a whole is pretty disappointing.

I don't have time for bullshit stories and repetitive, endless encounters in games anymore. This one has both. :(

The whole game is running off of it's own nonexistent logic. It's like fantasy books where wizards can cast whatever spell "just because". I read up on the DLC and it appears to be more of the exact same thing. And I'm still hearing that obnoxious screeching noise from the light hitting the enemies in my head. Wired put it best: "Alan Wake starts strong but finishes weak; neither the gameplay nor the story deliver on their potential by the time the credits roll."

The game is beautiful (besides the facial animation) but it's going to my Steam "pile of shame". It's too bad, because I love Max Payne 1+2, and the first hour or so had promise.

Edit: I should add that there are certainly clever moments and brilliant little jabs, but the plot as a whole is pretty disappointing.

one thing i like about the encounters in Alan Wake is that they are very clearly marked, and there is no confusion when you A: need to press on and B: where you need to press on to, once you figure out what signifies an area where enemies are going to keep spawning.

really enjoyed my play through of the main campaign on steam, anyways. looking forwards to tackling the bonus episodes tomorrow.

I really appreciate, much like how Tom Hanks is considered the nicest guy in Hollywood and his name is "THanks", this game blurs the line between nightmares and reality and his name's "AWake."

"You've read my books?"
"Yeah! You're a pretty good writer. Maybe a little heavy on the metaphors."

Megasoum

Banned
GFX question for you guys. It's not directly related to Alan Wake but since it's a very dark game the problem is worst than for a brighter game.

So I noticed that when I bought my new computer a couple of months ago with my Radeon 6870 everything was too bright in windows and in games. So basically I'm stuck with using Powerstrip in windows to reduce the Gamma by a LOT if I don't want to have a ton of color banding. I also often have to reduce the brightness all the way to the bottom in games to reduce the banding to minimum. So for example in Dead Island and Alan Wake I'm all the way to the left at 0 and in Dead Space 2 I even had to go in the ini file to put a negative value to Brightness to get something not completly ugly. BTW I didn't change monitor when I bought my PC and it was fine before with my old NVIDIA card.

The problem is always worst during cinematics because of the compression (I doubt I could do much about that) but I'm wondering if anybody know a good solution for that in game?

It's really starting to get on my nerves...that shit is annoying!

Time for a bit of shameless self quoting because I still have the problem. By reducing the brightness to minimum and reducing the gamma in general with Powerstrip I managed to get something "ok" in Alan Wake but it's still annoying. I took a screenshot to demonstrate. Not the best example but that's all I could find around where my save is right now in game. If you look at the screen, you can see that the light rays around the neon on the ceiling are kind of "in step" instead of a fluid gradient. Is there anyway I could smooth that? Thanks!

pakkit

Banned
Does anyone here know the significance of these chairs (if there even is one)? When I played the game on Xbox I saw them and they seemed strange but I never knew if there was some hidden meaning. Now that I am going through the game on PC and just finished Episode 3 I am reminded of them. Are they from Max Payne or did Remedy just decide to put elegant chairs in very obscure areas for no good reason?
Isn't it a Twin Peaks reference?
twin_peaks_s2e7_lonely_souls.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really love the soundtrack to this game, but personally preferred this song the most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbVhQHvrUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBF2h-Pl0
^^ clear winner for me. Top comment "THUMBS UP IF ALAN WAKE BROUGHT YOU HERE AND FUCK EVERYONE ELSE for being dicks" lol.

Same thing happened to me i instantly recognized the song when it started playing and thought to myself, 'oh shit i remember this song this was a great song'.

Also kinda bullshit they didnt even release it on the soundtrack CD.

ctrayne

So am I being an ass for not enjoying this more? I respect a lot of people's tastes ITT but I'm not feeling it. Feels like an over-zealous Steven King/Twin Peaks fan made the game. I don't know how much of the crappiness is intentional (Wake's writing) or just honestly poor writing. As noted earlier in the thread, there are deus ex machinas and things that just don't make sense. For example, why doesn't Alan just strap every goddamn lantern he comes across to his body? He's a tool and stupid and keeps making horrible decisions, something I hate in bad fiction. And Barry....ugh.

Right my wrong attitude. Tell me the hidden awesomeness in this game. Because right now I feel like it's a huge step down from Max Payne 2.

I think if you're trying to force yourself to like it, that's the wrong thing to do. You don't have to like it either, everybody has different expectations on what they think makes a good story. I didn't care for it at all either, if you need some kind of solidarity, for practically the same reasons as you too.

Mr_Zombie

I was at my friend yesterday and played through the entire chapter 3 (funnily, this is the chapter I've finished my plathrough on X360 at :p). Wow, what a gorgeous game; this game really shines on PC. Lighting effects look marvelous.

And while I was complaining about repetitiveness of the game before, this time I found the game to be much more enjoyable. Maybe that's because of the harder difficulty level, or maybe that's because now I know that it isn't worth to hog all the flares and grenades (the game will constantly provide you new ones anyway) so I used them when in need ;).
Or maybe that's because I suck at playing TPS on gamepad so mouse + keyboard allowed me to survive some crazy and dangerous situations more easily.

I'm looking forward to finally play through chapter 4. It started really, really interesting.

I was at my friend yesterday and I've played through the entire chapter 3 (funnily, this is the chapter I've finished playing the game on X360 :p). Wow, what a gorgeous game; this game really shines on PC. Lighting effects look marvelous.

And while I was complaining about repetitiveness of the game before, this time I found the game to be much more enjoyable. Maybe that's because of the harder difficulty level, or maybe that's because now I know that it isn't worth to hog all the flares and grenades (the game will constantly provide you new ones anyway) so I used them when in need ;).

I'm looking forward to finally play through chapter 4. It started really, really interesting.

It and 5 are the best chapters in the original game minus the DLC both gameplay and story wise I believe.

gray_fox224

What do you do when you run out of ammo? I'm at a point where I have to face 4 enemies with 10 rounds. I die every time and get reloaded to the same spot...

Mr_Zombie

What do you do when you run out of ammo? I'm at a point where I have to face 4 enemies with 10 rounds. I die every time and get reloaded to the same spot...

Don't you have any flares or flash granades?
You can always try to do headshots; on normal you can kill normal enemies even with one headshot if you're lucky.

Dennis

Banned

48 hours huh?

Well honestly Remedy, how about you had fixed some of the shamefully low resolution textures that can still be found in the PC version and then maybe you would still recuperate after, say, 72 hours.......

Its so annoying lining up a good screenshot and then having some 256x256 fence texture look like something out of Doom......

PowerK

48 hours huh?

Well honestly Remedy, how about you had fixed some of the shamefully low resolution textures that can still be found in the PC version and then maybe you would still recuperate after, say, 72 hours.......

Its so annoying lining up a good screenshot and then having some 256x256 fence texture look like something out of Doom......
High resolution texture pack (and DX11 patch) would be awesome.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
So am I being an ass for not enjoying this more? I respect a lot of people's tastes ITT but I'm not feeling it. Feels like an over-zealous Steven King/Twin Peaks fan made the game. I don't know how much of the crappiness is intentional (Wake's writing) or just honestly poor writing. As noted earlier in the thread, there are deus ex machinas and things that just don't make sense. For example, why doesn't Alan just strap every goddamn lantern he comes across to his body? He's a tool and stupid and keeps making horrible decisions, something I hate in bad fiction. And Barry....ugh.

Right my wrong attitude. Tell me the hidden awesomeness in this game. Because right now I feel like it's a huge step down from Max Payne 2.

its a good game even a great one but it could have been a lot better. story and setting is fine IMO. level design, game mechanics and technical stuff (animation invisible walls) are the reason I m not enjoying it as much as others here. its a solid 7.5/10 or 8/10 game

gaf I need help deciding which version to get. I'm not sure if my PC rig (i2500k @ 4.0ghz + ATI 5850) would be enough to run the game with high settings @ 1080p or if I should just play it on my 360.

Erasus

Dammit I should have jumped on that GMG deal. D:

gaf I need help deciding which version to get. I'm not sure if my PC rig (i2500k @ 4.0ghz + ATI 5850) would be enough to run the game with high settings @ 1080p or if I should just play it on my 360.

Why do people do this? Is it a stelth brag post? YOUR COMPUTER IS LIKE 10X THE POWER OF A 360
Even if you wont max every single setting even at medium @ 1080p its going to look better than a 360. You will be able to run it on high.

Bluth54

Hopefully we'll get Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Alan Wake 2 much more quickly on the PC because of this.

I'm sure that American Nightmare will be ported over as soon as its XBLA exclusivity period ends. If the rumors about Alan Wake 2 being an Xbox 720 launch title is true I'm sure Microsoft will want at least a year or two of exclusivity.

Why do people do this? Is it a stelth brag post? YOUR COMPUTER IS LIKE 10X THE POWER OF A 360
Even if you wont max every single setting even at medium @ 1080p its going to look better than a 360. You will be able to run it on high.

it's not about how much more powerful is my PC rig than 360, I asked this just to know if the game runs well with those settings, nothing to brag about.

Hellix

I have a 5850 and Phenom II X4 970 @ 3.5ghz. It ran great with everything maxed at 1080p with an average of 40 fps or so more, but I didn't notice any unbearable lag like there is in other games that aren't at 60 fps.

it's not about how much more powerful is my PC rig than 360, I asked this just to know if the game runs well with those settings, nothing to brag about.
Why those settings? The 360 version ruins at a mix of low/medium at 540p and can't hold 30fps. It goes without saying the PC version its going to run better for you, like all PC versions.

I have a 5850 and Phenom II X4 970 @ 3.5ghz. It ran great with everything maxed at 1080p with an average of 40 fps or so more, but I didn't notice any unbearable lag like there is in other games that aren't at 60 fps.

thanks a buch dude, that's what I wanted to know. I'll definetily go for the PC version

Ledsen

What he means is that you probably realized before making that post that the PC version would look and run many times better than the 360 version, even if you can't max it out.

What he means is that you probably realized before making that post that the PC version would look and run many times better than the 360 version, even if you can't max it out.

ok, I should have just asked if the port would run properly at 1080p with my current PC rig.

I finished the Writer and the Signal. It's a good thing they were included for free in the pc version, as they are about as cynical a cash grab as I've seen lately. A bunch of hallways and tiny rooms with reused assets. Story and characters are nonexistent. They wildly overuse that thing where the objects in the environment get possessed and they just hurl themselves at your head. In fact, the experience of playing through it was pretty much, walk down a hallway, spend a minute highlighting each flare with your flashlight for 10 seconds so that you can pick it up, walk into a tiny garage, get hit in the head with a flying Mack truck. They take out a lot of my favorite things from the main game like being in the town during the daytime and finding my way through large outdoor areas, but they double down on the annoying things like throwing cars at your head, having to fight people and flocks of birds simultaneously, hack-y metaphors. Ugh.

Top Bottom