• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Those are nice. Where'd you get em at?

eBay lol.

Most of them are $10 a pop but some special cars are little more expensive... like a R32 GT-R V-Spec II Nurburging edition that's around $20.

If you do buy, make sure they're coming from Japan or South Korea instead of China. I know it's $10 bucks but my limited research found that the ones coming from China are usually bootlegs.

v1lla21

eBay lol.

Most of them are $10 a pop but some special cars are little more expensive... like a R32 GT-R V-Spec II Nurburging edition that's around $20.

If you do buy, make sure they're coming from Japan or South Korea instead of China. I know it's $10 bucks but my limited research found that the ones coming from China are usually bootlegs.
Thanks I'll check it out. I actually just started collecting hot wheels again and die-cast models but some of the ones I like are over $100 bucks lol.

Thanks I'll check it out. I actually just started collecting hot wheels again and die-cast models but some of the ones I like are over $100 bucks lol.

No prob!

Yeah the good ones are super expensive... that RE Amemiya RX-7 is one of the cheapest ones I could find. The other cheapest were the shitty Fast and Furious models from 2 Fast 2 Furious but the one I really wanted is a FD Spirit R but the guy was selling it for $200!

Maybe I'll get it next time when I don't have bills to pay haha.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
New car time! 2017 GTI SE, love it.

t7KT7YN.jpg

SliChillax

Congrats! Am I the only one who hates mud flaps? :p I mean what's the point of protecting the car from dirt if it's going to look like that all the time. Apart from those, I love the Mk7 GTI.

Congrats! Am I the only one who hates mud flaps? :p I mean what's the point of protecting the car from dirt if it's going to look like that all the time. Apart from those, I love the Mk7 GTI.

Depends. They look weird on some cars but not all. They look more crossover SUV than compact, but they can go a long way to protect your paint.

matmanx1

Hi GAF - sneak peak? :)

19875228_10155358437648758_4547506594171201320_n.jpg

Gorgeous, and the car's not bad either! ;-)

New car time! 2017 GTI SE, love it.

t7KT7YN.jpg

Great car. I've always liked the GTI and the new one is probably the best ever. Nice pick!

Most of the time I am a fan. If you had my driveway, you would probably be a fan also!

rokkerkory

Okay here is the low-down on the new-to-me 2006 AP2 S2000!

Key Highlights:
- 2006 AP2 Silver Stone (was hoping for GPW but could not find one with low miles)
- 39k clean miles (low mileage is a must)
- bone stock (must for me)
- Bought for $22k (cali higher prices, but prices are holding and may even go up)
- Car is super clean besides paint chips (to be expected) and a small rip in the passenger seat (will replace seat covers anyways)
- Will do a complete tune up on the car as it is 11 years old (fluids, paint chips, plugs, brake pads and ss lines, etc) and have ordered oem front lip and new leather seat covers in red

19904920_10155358437653758_6953235646914127390_n.jpg

19905206_10155358437668758_1756941420264622502_n.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LOL'd at this post in the Jag forums:

I'm a little confused on the process for checking the oil level on my 2014 xk.
Instructions state to switch the ignition on (without starting the car), make sure the vehicle is in park, press the trip button on the lighting control stalk repreatedly until the oil can icon is displayed along with the current oil status.
How does one turn the ignition on by pressing the "start" button without turning on the engine.
I assumed there is a two press process to starting the engine however every time I press the "start" button the engine starts!
I've tried quickly pressing the start button and lightly pressing the button but every time I press the "start" button, the engine starts !!!!
What am I doing wrong?
How does one turn on the ignition without starting the engine?

Hahahahahaha

Okay here is the low-done on the new-to-me 2006 AP2 S2000!

Key Highlights:
- 2006 AP2 Silver Stone (was hoping for GPW but could not find one with low miles)
- Bought for $22k (cali higher prices, but prices are holding and may even go up)
- Car is super clean besides paint chips (to be expected) and a small rip in the passenger seat (will replace seat covers anyways)
- Will do a complete tune up on the car as it is 11 years old (fluids, paint chips, plugs, brake pads and ss lines, etc) and have ordered oem front lip and new leather seat covers in red

Congrats!
a stock s2k is super rare.

lem0n

Key Highlights:

Wicked! I might be joining you in the AP2 club here very soon.

Hi GAF - sneak peak? :)

19875228_10155358437648758_4547506594171201320_n.jpg

Congrats on the S2K! I always loved these cars! A friend recently picked up a yellow AP2, and I ALWAYS enjoy my seat time in it.

I too got a new car... well 3 actually...

Lol.

These are going with me to my desk at my office haha.

You've got great tastes my man! HAHA I spent a MINT at their shop in Tokyo... This reminds me that I need to make a proper display for them.

Momentary

Banned

Key Highlights:

The paint in the picture looks like it's been taken care of. Looks like the previous owner at least buffed and polished the car. There are some S2000s where I work and they look like trash. Hurts my heart every time I see one of these guys with one that's ragged out.

rokkerkory

The paint in the picture looks like it's been taken care of. Looks like the previous owner at least buffed and polished the car. There are some S2000s where I work and they look like trash. Hurts my heart every time I see one of these guys with one that's ragged out.

It's pretty good for an 11 yr old car besides the rock chips... I've ordred Dr colorchip to help cover most of it up. I might wrap the car white because I want it to match my m3 ☺️☺️

Momentary

Banned
I destroyed my garage about 2 weeks ago trying to set up Homelink in our cars. I ended up burning the motor. It's from 1995 and it seems there are some issues with it syncing up with newer cars. I replaced it with a lift master and it is so quiet. It also has other extremely helpful options as well. All I need to do now is crack open this epoxy. I think my wife is going to force me to do it this weekend. I'm so excited to do this in the California heat... I've been through infinitely worse circumstances than this... but still.

lem0n

Genuinely curious what's supposed to be funny if anyone would care to explain

It's not. Just some guy that isn't sure how to use his push start and asked a forum. Dude thought it was hilarious to show us how well versed in Jaguar he is

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
While that is hilarious I can't fault them if they've never had a push button start car. My guess is you push the start button and quckly release, or push the start button without holding the brake petal.

Correct.

He had other Jags with push-to-start buttons, per his signature of cars. Hahaha.

Genuinely curious what's supposed to be funny if anyone would care to explain

In order to not start the car, all you have to do is keep your foot off the brake pedal. That's all. You can hit the button, just don't keep the brakes on.

Just like a car with a key start, if you're foot is off the brake, most of them don't start. But once the brake is engaged, you are allowed to turn it over and start the car.

You've got great tastes my man! HAHA I spent a MINT at their shop in Tokyo... This reminds me that I need to make a proper display for them.

Thanks. Funny enough the R33 was the cheapest Skyline I could find, both the R32 and R34 cost a little more than the R33... just like in real life, well for now haha.

Damn that's another thing to add to my list when I go to Japan then.

Just like a car with a key start, if you're foot is off the brake, most of them don't start. But once the brake is engaged, you are allowed to turn it over and start the car.

???

But my Miata still starts even if you don't press the brake...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Rokker, that's a hell of a find! Looks like the owner took really good care of it.

Congrats! Love that color. Really wish I had something other than black.
Thanks! It's a great color and it sold me on the car honestly. Was not that easy to find at dealers around here, either... almost had to go with White.

Haha, they're definitely a divisive thing. I went with the OEM VW ones, they're pretty subtle and I think they blend in great with the CSG color.

Congrats to both of you guys! Are those new stock GTI wheels? They look so much better than the previous ones (the ones that look like giant ninja stars).
Thanks! They are indeed the 18" VW Rotary wheels, not stock. I really dislike the stock wheels, it was one of the first things I planned to switch. The Rotarys look amazing on this car, IMO.

Nice pickup! Really wish VW sold the GTI SE trim in Canada.
Thanks! I'm surprised they don't to be honest, which trims are available there?

Xdye7

Correct.

He had other Jags with push-to-start buttons, per his signature of cars. Hahaha.

In order to not start the car, all you have to do is keep your foot off the brake pedal. That's all. You can hit the button, just don't keep the brakes on.

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the operation of most "keyless" cars, seems we just have a different sense of humour in this case

hwalker84

Drove my friends Impreza manual. Same manual that's in the 2017 Crosstrek. God it was so fucking slow. Of course I cannot expect my Hellcat but got damn that thing was molasses. I thinking i'm going to go with a 2018 WRX standard edition. Lease is about $100 more a month.

ameratsu

Thanks! I'm surprised they don't to be honest, which trims are available there?

Base and Autobahn. PP for 2015-2016 could only be added to an Autobahn trim car, for 2017 it appears to be its own trim that's slotted above the Autobahn. No cheaper way to get the PP. :(

Key Highlights:

Fantastic, I love it.

Malvolio

Thanks! It's a great color and it sold me on the car honestly. Was not that easy to find at dealers around here, either... almost had to go with White.

Yup, white is actually the only color I would have liked less than black. Initially I was attracted to the blue, but the dealer that had it wasn't giving on his price at all. Was also a giant prick about it. Dealer I ended up buying mine from offered to swap it for me for $500. I'm still kicking myself for passing. VW blue is really sharp and completely worth $500 in hindsight.

matmanx1

Key Highlights:

Very nice, bud. Great find. Clean, low mileage S2000's are only going to get more and more rare. Enjoy it!

I've had it back a couple weeks but didn't have any photos until just recently, but I changed out the original whale tail I had for a ducktail on the 911. I think it looks killer, and I'm mostly happy with the paint considering the age and condition of the mostly original paint around the tail. I'll do a whole car respray later but for now it looks good enough.

I liked the original tail and I still have it, but ultimately I think it looks a lot cleaner and neater, which I'm big on. This one only has 50% the lift reduction as the whale tail but being the fastest guy through the corners is not the most important thing in the world.

Before (like way, way, way before in 2013):
18FsNGR.jpg

After:

Key Highlights:

Nice, congrats! Welcome to the low mileage S2000 club. I bought my AP1 with 13,000 miles about 6 years ago. It has about 27,000 miles now. I really need to drive it more, but can't really find the time to. Where in CA are you?

rokkerkory

Nice, congrats! Welcome to the low mileage S2000 club. I bought my AP1 with 13,000 miles about 6 years ago. It has about 27,000 miles now. I really need to drive it more, but can't really find the time to. Where in CA are you?

Thank you man... I am in the Bay Area... I had to put about 300 miles to drive it back home but that's okay! It's currently sleeping in the garage and waiting for some parts (maintenance) to come. Where are you?

Time to do a good tune up!

Pro tip: if you dont press the clutch pedal either, your car will do a fun little hop as it is really exited to go driving with you :)

Heh I scared the shit out of a friend with this when I was teaching him how to drive stick.

Dude yelled like a girl when it jolted forward thinking he hurt the poor little car hahaha.

Yeah, some do and some don't. My in-laws 2006 Camry doesn't. My old 2001 Maxima did.

Whoosh?

I've never driven a manual tranny car that needed you to press both the clutch and gas to start.

Ty4on

Totally random, but I found it to be a nice touch in an otherwise boring Megane that if the car (a manual) was in neutral you just needed to press the brake and push the start button to start the engine. In gear you obviously needed to press the clutch.

I've gotta say tho, in my work van it has come in handy sometimes that I can come in from the passenger door, pull handbrake, pull the shifter into neutral and crank the engine if I need it to run for whatever reason.

Top Bottom