• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Tesla just need to build an electric pickup.

Problem solved.

Need to move the battery packs away from the undercarriage due to off road issues but yeah. Plus the construction would be unibody most likely which is a truck no no. With the right setup electric motors could be awesome for that though. Tons of torque and a rigid underbody means awesome towing capacity.

What they really need is a CR-V competitor. If they can pull off a 25-30 K one with decent range, that is.

I doubt most people are gonna offroad a Tesla, so I don't think the monocoque chassis will be a problem.

But a mid-size Tesla pickup should basically be a Honda Ridgeline with 3 ton towing, 1 ton payload and 350-400 miles range with ancillaries on while towing/under load.

You pretty much said it yourself... besides Tesla, everyone avoids other electrics.

Tesla's the only one who's done it right so far with the S and X and it remains to be seen whether the 3 is going to be a success. Sure, it's technically a success already with all the pre-orders and whatnot but those are the early adopters.

Here's a great image that explains why I think we've got a long road for electric cars:

DiffusionOfInnovation.png

At this point in time, we've barely eclipsed the innovators stage and hit the early adopters... once the Model 3 hits I imagine we'll get close to the early majority stage, but not enough to cross over.

Then you also have the underlined. For some reason, people think Tesla = luxury car so your neighbor Joe Dirt isn't going to bother looking at Teslas(it doesn't help that you can't just walk in to a Tesla dealership here in Texas for example). Obviously the Model 3 hopes to change that thought, but the car isn't even out yet so it's hard to judge whether the 3 can change that.

That said, I'm not against electrics... I know it's the future and I'd actually love a Model 3 as a daily driver since I have a long ass commute but at the same time I'm not willing to wait until 2018 or 19 for one. I just think that it's a little short sighted to believe that we'll all be driving electrics in 5 years... 10 years at the earliest IMO.

Also, I personally don't think the incumbents can figure it out ASAP. But like I said, we've got a long road before the electric revolution begins. I think once gas stations have been replaced by superchargers or whatever equivalent then I think the revolution can start. But at this point time, it's tough to convince Joe Dirt to get an electric since you yourself have to build your life around it.

Well if you don't want to wait until 2018/9 for a Model 3, you can get a CPO used Model S instead.

https://www.tesla.com/used

But actually don't use their own site, it's very clumsy and hard to search for what you specifically want. Instead use:

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

There's a lot of cars available now, all the way from $40,000 up to the six figures.

Tesla just need to build an electric pickup.

Problem solved.

They are working on a pickup truck, but that will be after the Model Y and the Semi.

What they really need is a CR-V competitor. If they can pull off a 25-30 K one with decent range, that is.

That would be the Model Y yes, the compact SUV. Which hopefully won't have Failure Wing Doors.

v1lla21

Apparently one of the Honda dealers here has a 25k Mark up on their Type R. I searched for it online but the website doesn't show the mark up on it. Pictures floating around in various Bay area Facebook groups though. Fucking ridiculous.

Apparently one of the Honda dealers here has a 25k Mark up on their Type R. I searched for it online but the website doesn't show the mark up on it. Pictures floating around in various Bay area Facebook groups though. Fucking ridiculous.

They wanted a 20k dollar deposit to hold the next one they get in August.

v1lla21

They wanted a 20k dollar deposit to hold the next one they get in August.
Wouldn't doubt it. Lol

I hope no one would be paying that mark up. It's a cool car but at the end of the day a fwd civic isn't worth that ridiculous mark up and even at 35k it still got me second guessing it.

jamsy

Yeah, I'm not sure how or why people would pay $50k+ for a Civic.

Isn't being somewhat affordable the main reason cars like this exist? Why would anyone pay so much for what's in essence, a sporty version of a FWD economy car? Might as well spend that money on something like an M2/RS3/whatever.

matmanx1

Yeah, I'm not sure how or why people would pay $50k+ for a Civic.

Isn't being somewhat affordable the main reason cars like this exist? Why would anyone pay so much for what's in essence, a sporty version of a FWD economy car? Might as well spend that money on something like an M2/RS3/whatever.

Keep in mind, even at stupid markup prices the Civic Type R will still be one of the most reliable 300hp cars out there and will cost less to own over time than anything German. Still not worth it to me at the inflated price but probably worth it to some people.

Pinewood

Keep in mind, even at stupid markup prices the Civic Type R will still be one of the most reliable 300hp cars out there and will cost less to own over time than anything German. Still not worth it to me at the inflated price but probably worth it to some people.

Yes but for that money you could almost get a Porsche

So, thanks to my innate disposition to put ny 335 into Sport+ mode and switch the gearbox to aggressive/manual whenever I'm at a red light, I managed to wear through my rear tires faster than my fronts. Got new rear tires back in December, and it finally feels like time for new fronts... I know BMW typically says to forego rotating tires, but in this case I imagine I should rotate the rear tires to the front and put the new ones in back?

So I got a set of 3 piece rims rebuilt to my specifications, and it came out great! I need to snap a picture, but I'm over the moon with them.

I was bummed while I was in school and Work discontinued the VS-KF line. Fast forward a few years and I've got a set of my own.

boltz

Taking a look at a nice AP2 with low miles this weekend boys! Wish me luck!!!

Good luck, I'm expecting photos of your new car by the end of Sunday :p

So, thanks to my innate disposition to put ny 335 into Sport+ mode and switch the gearbox to aggressive/manual whenever I'm at a red light, I managed to wear through my rear tires faster than my fronts. Got new rear tires back in December, and it finally feels like time for new fronts... I know BMW typically says to forego rotating tires, but in this case I imagine I should rotate the rear tires to the front and put the new ones in back?

The typical rule of thumb when getting a new pair of tires is to put them in the rear to avoid oversteer. Unless you enjoy getting the back end loose...

Ace 8095

Drove the Giulia. Beautiful in person but was kinda underwhelmed after reading such great praise about the driving. I think I just have a hard time getting accustomed to these powerful turbo 4's. Also the sales guy was a jerk telling me the $3,750 conquest incentive only applied to luxury cars even though I told him repeatedly it applied to any non-Fiat vehicle. Got a call 20 minutes after I left the dealer with him apologizing and saying I was correct.

If I decide to give it a go after testing the XE and a few others maybe I can use that shitty experience as leverage for a little better deal.

rokkerkory

Good luck, I'm expecting photos of your new car by the end of Sunday :p

The typical rule of thumb when getting a new pair of tires is to put them in the rear to avoid oversteer. Unless you enjoy getting the back end loose...

Thanks! You might get it, driving a couple of hours to take a look at a low mileage 06 right now! :))

So I got a set of 3 piece rims rebuilt to my specifications, and it came out great! I need to snap a picture, but I'm over the moon with them.

I was bummed while I was in school and Work discontinued the VS-KF line. Fast forward a few years and I've got a set of my own.

Nice. I know how you feel about discontinued wheels though. When I finally had money for nice wheels, the ones I wanted were discontinued in 17's, and only available in 18's or larger. One set were the Work VS-XX, which are now only 18-20 inch, and the others were the original 5 spoke Work Equips, which they did bring back for a bit, but only in 19 inch. No love for 17's anymore :( Though the lack of 17's is becoming a thing across all brands it seems now that cars these days come with 18's from the factory a lot of times.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Same would be true of a faster used or in some cases brand new Acura/Lexus/Infiniti.

I mean you could get this loaded:

Ozf0QxF.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Drove the Giulia. Beautiful in person but was kinda underwhelmed after reading such great praise about the driving. I think I just have a hard time getting accustomed to these powerful turbo 4's. Also the sales guy was a jerk telling me the $3,750 conquest incentive only applied to luxury cars even though I told him repeatedly it applied to any non-Fiat vehicle. Got a call 20 minutes after I left the dealer with him apologizing and saying I was correct.

If I decide to give it a go after testing the XE and a few others maybe I can use that shitty experience as leverage for a little better deal.

Get the deal you want from the get go no matter what the experience is.

Check Truecar for the invoice price of the vehicle, if you're serious about a purchase: walk in and say you will pay that and they have a deal immediately. Or if you feel cheeky, go $500 below invoice.

Now because there is conquest cash, do NOT tell them what you have. You can negotiate the selling price down and THEN apply the $3750 incentive - which would bring you down tons. Way below invoice.

lem0n

If you had about $15,000 to play with for a car, what would you consider? It will be a fun weekend car, I already have a Fiat 500 for around town and work stuff. I have had my heart set on an R32 Skyline but I'm just making sure I'm not going to be missing anything obvious that I should at least drive before I spend the cash on the ol' Nissan. I was thinking of looking at an S2000 AP2 or a Mk6 Jetta GLI 6MT.

I really only want it to be a manual and fun. The more aftermarket support the better.

Ideas?

Nice. I know how you feel about discontinued wheels though. When I finally had money for nice wheels, the ones I wanted were discontinued in 17's, and only available in 18's or larger. One set were the Work VS-XX, which are now only 18-20 inch, and the others were the original 5 spoke Work Equips, which they did bring back for a bit, but only in 19 inch. No love for 17's anymore :( Though the lack of 17's is becoming a thing across all brands it seems now that cars these days come with 18's from the factory a lot of times.

Yeah, I've noticed the sizing increase as well. When I was driving an S Chassis, I was thinking about a staggered setup (17/18) and finding faces for the front was a bit of a hassle. That was a few years ago.

Since my car is big, I couldn't think of anything smaller then 18.

Oh and on to the rims...

18095078_1574784789209652_4628772128475316224_n.jpg

v1lla21

If you had about $15,000 to play with for a car, what would you consider? It will be a fun weekend car, I already have a Fiat 500 for around town and work stuff. I have had my heart set on an R32 Skyline but I'm just making sure I'm not going to be missing anything obvious that I should at least drive before I spend the cash on the ol' Nissan. I was thinking of looking at an S2000 AP2 or a Mk6 Jetta GLI 6MT.

I really only want it to be a manual and fun. The more aftermarket support the better.

Ideas?
If you're looking for strong aftermarket support I'd change the GLI to a GTI. Abundance of aftermarket parts for the mk6 gti.

Momentary

Banned
I'll go electric whenever there's a reasonable price for a fully electric GT type car. Only thing like that looks to be what I want is upwards to 2 million dollars right now. The Rimac Concept One and One S.

Just give me a long nosed car with a hard top, 2 doors, and 2 seats. The Renault Trezor looks great, but it lacks in power and it DEFINITELY won't look like this for it's final product... Also they don't sell Renaults in America. You'll see smaller rims, side mirrors and a higher ride height along the omission of the hexagonal work throughout the body.

Seems like it's supposed to provide autonomous capabilities at an affordable price. Targeted to hit production around 2020. Hopefully they have different "powertrains." I know this is old news. I'm just using it as an example.

I'll go electric whenever there's a reasonable price for a fully electric GT type car. Only thing like that looks to be what I want is upwards to 2 million dollars right now. The Rimac Concept One and One S.

There's also the NIO EP9 but they are only making a few of those total.

Just give me a long nosed car with a hard top, 2 doors, and 2 seats. The Renault Trezor looks great, but it lacks in power and it DEFINITELY won't look like this for it's final product... Also they don't sell Renaults in America. You'll see smaller rims, side mirrors and a higher ride height along the omission of the hexagonal work throughout the body.

Seems like it's supposed to provide autonomous capabilities at an affordable price. Targeted to hit production around 2020. Hopefully they have different "powertrains." I know this is old news. I'm just using it as an example.

Wow so you board it like the Batmobile? The whole top opens lol.

Honestly the first car which meets your requirement will probably be the New Tesla Roadster, whenever the hell that one is launched. I would want one too but I have to pay off my Model S first >_>

ascii42

Apparently Oscar Meyer is hiring Weinermobile drivers. If I were a people person instead of a software engineer that would be very tempting.

Yeah, I love me some S2000. They're starting to appreciate in price now too, would definitely love to own one.

By all means, tell us all about it!

ZOONAMI

Ideas?

Grab a used 2012+ or so GTI with sub 60k miles, do an APR tune for $500 or so, and go. You could go the gli route and apr but it won't handle as well.

v1lla21

Um, how do you guys wash your cars? I never had a car I actually wanted to wash with my hands before...
2 bucket method and I use one of those hand mitts things to wash the car. Goes by pretty fast. I don't do anything other than a basic wash. I take it to my buddy to get it detailed.

Amputechture, if you do go the manual GTI route you should note that anything really over stage 1 will require a new clutch as well.

ZOONAMI

Um, how do you guys wash your cars? I never had a car I actually wanted to wash with my hands before...

I just use one bucket with car soap and water with a nice big sponge. Spray, rub it down with soap, spray again, dry with micro fibers cloths. Wax with carnauba 2-3x a year after washing.

If there are a lot of imperfections you can use dish soap to strip the wax, use a clay bar, rewax. I would only probably do that like every 5 years or so. Probably a 3 hour job.

Momentary

Banned
I just use one bucket with car soap and water with a nice big sponge. Spray, rub it down with soap, spray again, dry with micro fibers cloths. Wax with carnauba 2-3x a year after washing.

If there are a lot of imperfections you can use dish soap to strip the wax, use a clay bar, rewax. I would only probably do that like every 5 years or so. Probably a 3 hour job.

I buffed, polished and waxed my car a few weekends ago and it took like 6 hours. I almost died in the California sun.

Top Bottom