• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it Really Make Sense to Have Another Whole Generation of Nintendo Port Begging?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Considering how out of touch people are in regards to specs and what the specs mean (or do in games), you are going to get a lot of people asking for games that simply don't work on 4 gb of ram. It is annoying though.
We also have experts that tell us we are crazy for thinking big games like GTA V or Persona 5 could run on Switch when both of those ran on PS3.

It goes both way. But even discussing why a game couldn't make it to Switch on a technical level isn't possible anymore most times because so many people flip out as soon as the console is mentioned. I was here during Wii and DS times and it never was that bad... It's a but weird, this time.

Chauzu

We also have experts that tell us we are crazy for thinking big games like GTA V or Persona 5 could run on Switch when both of those ran on PS3.

It goes both way. But even discussing why a game couldn't make it to Switch on a technical level isn't possible anymore most times because so many people flip out as soon as the console is mentioned. I was here during Wii and DS times and it never was that bad... It's a but weird, this time.

Yeah, always having to hear all GAF experts tell me what games could or could not run on Switch (hint: many seem to think PS360 games would struggle to run) is another pet peevee of mine. Same for games that we know runs fine on PC's on weaker specs than Switch.

hd5igFP.jpg

I'm really happy with the games Switch gets. I see no reason to look for Switch ports where they don't exist, I just want quality games straight from Nintendo really. That's what I bought this system for. I think if people set their expectations there, they would get disappointed a lot less. If you're looking for these big unreal engine 4 titles with spectacular graphics to end up on Switch, you will be disappointed for sure.

Switch game cases are fucking beautiful. <3

Snakeyes

The problem is when you have a bunch of people derailing threads with their unrealistic wishes. You buy a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games for the most part; these people knew what they were getting into when they paid the sticker price so the port begging makes my eyes roll. It's just obnoxious...imagine if BotW threads were overrun with PlayStation Stans asking for it on PS4.
The vast majority of requests are more than reasonable. You can't be serious trying to compare Zelda on PS4 begging with asking for a Switch version of something like Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I do think some need to realize that Switch isn't going to get games like Tekken 7 that push the X1/PS4. I guess it may be possible in some sense, but it's obviously not realistic.

I do think we will get more Third Parties than the Wii U did and that will hopefully help and not make it worse.

For me, I'm really only expecting the Nintendo First Party, some Japanese Third Party, and indies. I have my PS4 for the multiplats, though I do see where some come from as I think it's more convenient to play then on Switch.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Yup. Not even a Nintendo thing anymore. I have a PS4 and a PS3, so I didn't care if things came to Wii U or Wii. Now I just want everything portable.

I know it's not going to happen, but still.

I'd venture a guess that it's absolutely a "Nintendo" thing for quite a few of the people genuinely bothered by the begging.

"Is this coming to PC?" doesn't trigger a similar reaction for some reason.

Because you can choose whatever the reason you want to buy games for the console.

Again, didn't mean to offend. Didn't mean to imply that people don't have the right to purchase games on the platform they choose and I don't exactly see what in my post leads you to believe that I don't think "you can choose whatever the reason you want to buy games for the console."

I was simply agreeing with the NomComms guy that "I prefer to play pretty much everything on the Switch now." Just using SV as an example of a huge time-sink game that I wouldn't even (and haven't) considered purchasing on a non-portable platform.

Chauzu

I'm really happy with the games Switch gets. I see no reason to look for Switch ports where they don't exist, I just want quality games straight from Nintendo really. That's what I bought this system for. I think if people set their expectations there, they would get disappointed a lot less. If you're looking for these big unreal engine 4 titles with spectacular graphics to end up on Switch, you will be disappointed for sure.

I think the unique scenario here is... Many, like me, bought Switch as a Nintendo machine. But the unique form factor made them realize that damn, imagine if I could play *insert title* anywhere, and then continue playing on the TV. So it's not that they bought with expectations of wanting these games, they just ended up seeing the potential of the hardware and seeing games they'd like to play both home and away. Grind heavy RPG's, for example.

SalvaPot

Yet the biggest thread we have had was the Bayonetta 2 thread when everyone and their mother wanted the games in their system of choice.

Honestly port begging is fine as long as there is a discussion behind it, its also not a big a problem as people make it out to be. Complaining will always be a thing, otherwise why bother making a GAF account?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I can't remember the last time I cringed at Nintendo fans for not getting their 3rd party exclusive. FF7 PS1 exclusive maybe?

Sure, there are small games like the Disney Afternoon Collection, that's not coming to Switch (though it makes too much sense IMO), and disappointment over MHW (although this has been somewhat embarrassing), which apparently is a full fledged game, but this is not even remotely comparable to Capcom 5, RE GCN exclusive, FFXIII and GTA 4 on Xbox 360, MH Tri on Wii and then 3DS exclusive, Bayonetta 2, Epic Mickey, etc.

Even Stealth Inc 2 announcement was kind of embarrassing in GAF.

Gaogaogao

ports from ps4/ xbox one? no.
ports from wii u, or last gen? absolutely
the switch is actually popular this time.
for example, if the ps3 and xbox 360 can run gta5 or red dead redemption, and there was demand for a switch version, it could happen.

Seeing all the Switch port begging in a thread like the Pyre review thread was really annoying. That being said, I figure people/fans would have been accustomed to games not being ported by now.

NSESN

I think the discussion ITT is pretty meaningless, just don't derail a thread with port begging and it is ok imo. If a thread is named "Koei Tecmo will make more Switch games" of course people will port beg, because that is nothng left to talk in a thread like that.

Tons of devs keep talking about being willing to look into various platforms if "people express interest." Sure, they could be lying and have no intention of porting, but saying you'd like to see a game on that platform is expressing interest as instructed by the makers of those games.

Rncewind

I'd venture a guess that it's absolutely a "Nintendo" things for quite a few of the people genuinely bothered by the begging.

"Is this coming to PC?" doesn't trigger a similar reaction for some reason.

maybe because people then make petitions like in case of dark souls instead writing in a neogaf thread where it says Announced for ps3/360 "meh would be perfect for PC"

Most games just aren't coming to the Switch.
I think people know that, but there is a justified expectation of at least a good deal more 3rd party games coming to the Switch than the Wii U. There is an actual reason to get a Nintendo console version of a 3rd party game now and the companies have to know this. We're only 5 months into the system's life, so I'm not going to assume anything until the Switch has been on the market long enough for devs to see the potential install base and benefit of releasing their game on the system.

Port begging though? In GAF threads it needs to stop, but directly to the developers I hope people pile it on.

MoonFrog

I want more games on Switch, personally, and of particular flavors. I also think a lot of the games I personally want on Switch and others like them stand to gain from being on Switch.

I talk about the latter view a lot. Not sure if I've ever straight up Switch port begged though. The closest thing to it is probably saying that P5P should still happen despite no Sony handheld and that, really, a game like that, which isn't pushing PS4 hard but can sell well to fans of JRPG, should be on Switch for Japan at least, going forward.

These kinds of hopes are going to get frustrated on occasion, hopefully relatively infrequently, but it isn't just about what I want it is also about what I think makes sense.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Seeing all the Switch port begging in a thread like the Pyre review thread was really annoying. That being said, I figure people/fans would have been accustomed to games not being ported by now.

Oh, shit. I didn't know about Pyre until this post. Thanks.

Hopefully they release a Switch version.

EDIT: ah, Transistor team so prob not. Oh well.

kiguel182

The games I want on Switch are ones that make total sense. Stuff like Pyre would be at home there.

Wanting COD or whatever is dumb but tons of titles make sense.

RedSwirl

I do think some need to realize that Switch isn't going to get games like Tekken 7 that push the X1/PS4. I guess it may be possible in some sense, but it's obviously not realistic.

I do think we will get more Third Parties than the Wii U did and that will hopefully help and not make it worse.

For me, I'm really only expecting the Nintendo First Party, some Japanese Third Party, and indies. I have my PS4 for the multiplats, though I do see where some come from as I think it's more convenient to play then on Switch.

This is generally my position.

I think there are some games that are within reason to expect would be plausible on the Switch. Mostly though they tend to be lower-budget games that could conceivably run on a portable system.

joms5

I feel as though the rule should be, 2 generations or older to receive a port.

So WW and TP coming to Wii U made sense. Any Wii U games coming to Switch seems like a complete waste of time.

Agreed, would be nice if the 3rd post in every thread wasn't "switch version?" I understand people are excited for a new portable capable console but port begging is banned for a reason - it's hugely obnoxious.

bounchfx

the main difference for me is i actually really, really enjoy using and playing the switch

i couldnt say that about wii or wii u

yyr

Number 1 reason for switch port-begging

a Friend of mine wants to play the later final fantasy games (10 and 12 remasters and 15) but that's just not gonna happen cause he's always moving around and sitting in front of his TV for hours at night is just unrealistic.

of course he port-begs.

He could get FFX on Vita.

Number 1 reason for switch port-begging

a Friend of mine wants to play the later final fantasy games (10 and 12 remasters and 15) but that's just not gonna happen cause he's always moving around and sitting in front of his TV for hours at night is just unrealistic.

of course he port-begs.

Assuming he already has them for the PS4. Tell him to get a Vita.

Boom. FF15 Portable. Problem solved.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, it doesn't make much sense to make portbeg posts on GAF, but social media is fair game and certainly raises awareness to devs that there is indeed interest in their product by switch owners.

Anything else is static, yes. Port-begging for consoles in general will never end though, so it's best to ignore.

It doesn't bother me at all I was just responding to someone who said port begging is why they got a port and I think if that's the objective twitter is the best place for it since it's a direct line to devs. As far as port begging or showing desire of having a game on a particular system that's never gonna go away on here and doesn't bother me. I've done it myself.

JustenP88

Preaching to the choir, man. I remember back in 1993, i asked my mom for Street Fighter II on the SNES, and she said "eat your spinach". But sure enough, when my grades were good, she bought me the game!

She didn't ground you for port begging?

For me, I'm just tired of missing games due to no portable version. I've pretty much sworn off tv games due to not being able to play them anymore. If Persona, Danganronpa, Corpse Party, Neptunia, and the NIS horror games miss Switch since Vita will likely be dead by their next installments + Persona 5 still isn't on Switch it'll be a depressing time. I just hate being punished by third parties since playing games on tv literally make me feel bad. I don't care about AAA but I want the few series I do care about to make it over and wll be sad to miss them.

dukie85

This is why I'm glad I got a Switch and a PS4/gaming capable PC. Won't hear port begging my way. Best of all worlds is good enough for me.

ozfunghi

Sure, it doesn't make much sense to make portbeg posts on GAF

What exactly does "make sense" on Gaf? How does expressing your sentiment toward being able (or not) to play a game make any less sense than expressing your dislike for a certain function, complain about hardware power, talking about megaflops or the color of the UI of a certain console? What's the point in that? This is a game related forum, as long as you can discuss all things "videogame" in a respectful and sensible matter, why shouldn't people be able to discuss games skipping a certain platform or expressing your disappointment when that happens?

Didn't nintendo just announce they've sold 4.7 million units? It makes sense that people would be optimistic for more third party support since there's a business case for it.

Top Bottom