• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole "OK = White Power" thing is funny, I had been seeing it done by Drake and basketball players, and people were saying it meant 666 / illuminaty stuff, lol.

nH35nHn.jpg

Doesn't matter if you've seen other people doing it. It's been hijacked by White Supremacists.

This whole transcript is worth the read. Dickerson does a good job of staying on target and pinning Trump down.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-interview-full-transcript-face-the-nation/

JOHN DICKERSON: Let me ask you about health care -- Tucker Carlson interviewed you about six weeks ago when you were in the middle of health care negotiations. And you agreed with him that the health care bill wasn't going to help your supporters. That those who lived in rural areas, the older, were going to get hurt by that bill. And you told him--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Excuse me, the health care bill is going to help my supporters.

JOHN DICKERSON: Well, hold on. Let me just finish the question, if I may, sir--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Otherwise, I'm not going to sign it. I'm not going to do it.

JOHN DICKERSON: Well, this is why I wanted to ask you. You said to Tucker, "We will take care of our people, or I am not signing it." You said you were going to negotiate.

President Trump guarantees pre-existing condition coverage in new health care bill
Play VIDEO
President Trump guarantees pre-existing condition coverage in new health care bill
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Well, that's what I just said.

JOHN DICKERSON: So tell me what in the bill you've been negotiating to get--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But let me--

JOHN DICKERSON: --in that helps your supporters. I'm just trying to get the details of how your people--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Let me just tell you.

JOHN DICKERSON: --will be helped.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Pre-existing conditions are in the bill. And I just watched another network than yours, and they were saying, "Pre-existing is not covered." Pre-existing conditions are in the bill. And I mandate it. I said, "Has to be."

JOHN DICKERSON: So--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: We have, we're going to have lower premiums. And before you start there, let me just tell you something. Obamacare is dead. Obamacare right now, all the insurance companies are fleeing. Places like Tennessee have already lost half of their state with the insurance companies. They're all going. Obamacare, John, is dead. Okay, because we're being -- we're being compared to Obamacare. Just, so. Obamacare doesn't work--

JOHN DICKERSON: I just want to compare you to your own.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: One thing. No, no, it's important. I've got to compare it.

JOHN DICKERSON: No, no, but I want--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But you were saying about Obamacare.

JOHN DICKERSON: No, but I'm not. I'm asking what--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: With Obamacare--

JOHN DICKERSON: --you're going to do.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --the premiums are too high. The deductibles are through the roof, so you never get to use it. But more importantly, it's dead.

JOHN DICKERSON: So but in the bill, as it was analyzed, there were two problems. One, and you talked about this with Congressman Robert Aderholt, who brought you the example of the 64-year-old who under Obamacare the premiums--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But that was a long time ago, John.

JOHN DICKERSON: But has that been fixed?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Totally fixed.

JOHN DICKERSON: How?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: How? We've made many changes to the bill. You know, this bill is--

JOHN DICKERSON: What kind though?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --very much different than it was three weeks ago.

JOHN DICKERSON: Help us explain because there are people--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: The bill--

JOHN DICKERSON: --out there wondering what kind of changes.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Let me explain. Let me explain it to you.

JOHN DICKERSON: Okay.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: This bill is much different than it was a little while ago, okay? This bill has evolved. And we didn't have a failure on the bill. You know, it was reported like a failure. Now, the one thing I wouldn't have done again is put a timeline. That's why on the second iteration, I didn't put a timeline.

But we have now pre-existing conditions in the bill. We have -- we've set up a pool for the pre-existing conditions so that the premiums can be allowed to fall. We're taking across all of the borders or the lines so that insurance companies can compete--

JOHN DICKERSON: But that's not in--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --nationwide.

JOHN DICKERSON: --this bill. The borders are not in--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Of course, it's in.

JOHN DICKERSON: --this bill. It's in that third bill, right, because--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It's in the second phase.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It's called phase one, phase two. And that's, in effect, second phase, which will get approved, which will quickly get approved.

JOHN DICKERSON: Let me--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But let me just explain something. There will be such competition. Right now, there's no competition. There will be such competition by insurance companies so that they can get health care and the people taking care of health care.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: The other thing we're going to have is groups. Groups of people can negotiate. What's going to happen is the competition is going to drive down the premiums. In my opinion, much, much more than people understand.

JOHN DICKERSON: So what you've just described is the bill that you previously had said you worried wouldn't help your people. And here's why I ask. You said, "Pre-existing conditions."

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: No, there were things in the other bill, the first version, which were not as good.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But when I watch some of the news reports, which are so unfair, and they say we don't cover pre-existing conditions, we cover it beautifully.

JOHN DICKERSON: Although--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I'll tell you who doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. Obamacare. You know why? It's dead.

JOHN DICKERSON: In one of the fixes that was--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It's not going to be here.

JOHN DICKERSON: In one of the fixes it was discussed pre-existing was optional for the states--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Sure, in one of the fixes. And they're changing it--

JOHN DICKERSON: --oh, okay. So it'll--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --and changing.

JOHN DICKERSON: --be permanent?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Of course.​

Sure are a lot of Republicans getting out of dodge. I'm sure its just a coincidence.......

I can't seem to find it, but I remember reading an article somewhere that suggested one factor in wave elections is members of the party about to lose seats seeing the writing on the wall and retiring (or choosing not to run if not an incumbent), thus further weakening the party's chances. Especially without being up to see the article right now, I don't know how strong that actually is, but it certainly makes intuitive sense.

Not to get ahead of ourselves of course. There's no guarantee of a blue wave in 2018, but there are some favorable early signs.

Damn, just caught up to this weeks Slate political gabfest. They fucking ROASTED obama for this speech, and made the point well.

Its not just the Bernie wing that is upset with this.

Many Trump Republicans, independents, and folks within the Bernie wing of the Democratic party are probably upset. Most #NeverTrump types on the conservative side and Clinton supporters are probably ok with the speech and defending Pres. Obama saying it's no big deal/they don't care.

Basically. By the time you get a Duterte, who, again, is overwhelmingly popular amongst his countrymen, the problem happened a long time ago. Get rid if Duterte and you just get a new Duterte in his place, except now the new one has even less reason to listen to the United States, which probably means an even higher death toll. That didn't help anything; you just got to feel briefly morally superior at the cost of a lot more lives.

You could just say you'll pray for them, it's the same sentiment.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This whole transcript is worth the read. Dickerson does a good job of staying on target and pinning Trump down.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-interview-full-transcript-face-the-nation/

JOHN DICKERSON: Let me ask you about health care -- Tucker Carlson interviewed you about six weeks ago when you were in the middle of health care negotiations. And you agreed with him that the health care bill wasn't going to help your supporters. That those who lived in rural areas, the older, were going to get hurt by that bill. And you told him--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Excuse me, the health care bill is going to help my supporters.

JOHN DICKERSON: Well, hold on. Let me just finish the question, if I may, sir--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Otherwise, I'm not going to sign it. I'm not going to do it.

JOHN DICKERSON: Well, this is why I wanted to ask you. You said to Tucker, "We will take care of our people, or I am not signing it." You said you were going to negotiate.

Play VIDEO
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Well, that's what I just said.

JOHN DICKERSON: So tell me what in the bill you've been negotiating to get--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But let me--

JOHN DICKERSON: --in that helps your supporters. I'm just trying to get the details of how your people--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Let me just tell you.

JOHN DICKERSON: --will be helped.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Pre-existing conditions are in the bill. And I just watched another network than yours, and they were saying, "Pre-existing is not covered." Pre-existing conditions are in the bill. And I mandate it. I said, "Has to be."

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: We have, we're going to have lower premiums. And before you start there, let me just tell you something. Obamacare is dead. Obamacare right now, all the insurance companies are fleeing. Places like Tennessee have already lost half of their state with the insurance companies. They're all going. Obamacare, John, is dead. Okay, because we're being -- we're being compared to Obamacare. Just, so. Obamacare doesn't work--

JOHN DICKERSON: I just want to compare you to your own.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: One thing. No, no, it's important. I've got to compare it.

JOHN DICKERSON: No, no, but I want--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But you were saying about Obamacare.

JOHN DICKERSON: No, but I'm not. I'm asking what--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: With Obamacare--

JOHN DICKERSON: --you're going to do.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --the premiums are too high. The deductibles are through the roof, so you never get to use it. But more importantly, it's dead.

JOHN DICKERSON: So but in the bill, as it was analyzed, there were two problems. One, and you talked about this with Congressman Robert Aderholt, who brought you the example of the 64-year-old who under Obamacare the premiums--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But that was a long time ago, John.

JOHN DICKERSON: But has that been fixed?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Totally fixed.

JOHN DICKERSON: How?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: How? We've made many changes to the bill. You know, this bill is--

JOHN DICKERSON: What kind though?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --very much different than it was three weeks ago.

JOHN DICKERSON: Help us explain because there are people--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: The bill--

JOHN DICKERSON: --out there wondering what kind of changes.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Let me explain. Let me explain it to you.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: This bill is much different than it was a little while ago, okay? This bill has evolved. And we didn't have a failure on the bill. You know, it was reported like a failure. Now, the one thing I wouldn't have done again is put a timeline. That's why on the second iteration, I didn't put a timeline.

But we have now pre-existing conditions in the bill. We have -- we've set up a pool for the pre-existing conditions so that the premiums can be allowed to fall. We're taking across all of the borders or the lines so that insurance companies can compete--

JOHN DICKERSON: But that's not in--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --nationwide.

JOHN DICKERSON: --this bill. The borders are not in--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Of course, it's in.

JOHN DICKERSON: --this bill. It's in that third bill, right, because--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It's in the second phase.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It's called phase one, phase two. And that's, in effect, second phase, which will get approved, which will quickly get approved.

JOHN DICKERSON: Let me--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But let me just explain something. There will be such competition. Right now, there's no competition. There will be such competition by insurance companies so that they can get health care and the people taking care of health care.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: The other thing we're going to have is groups. Groups of people can negotiate. What's going to happen is the competition is going to drive down the premiums. In my opinion, much, much more than people understand.

JOHN DICKERSON: So what you've just described is the bill that you previously had said you worried wouldn't help your people. And here's why I ask. You said, "Pre-existing conditions."

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: No, there were things in the other bill, the first version, which were not as good.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But when I watch some of the news reports, which are so unfair, and they say we don't cover pre-existing conditions, we cover it beautifully.

JOHN DICKERSON: Although--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I'll tell you who doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. Obamacare. You know why? It's dead.

JOHN DICKERSON: In one of the fixes that was--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It's not going to be here.

JOHN DICKERSON: In one of the fixes it was discussed pre-existing was optional for the states--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Sure, in one of the fixes. And they're changing it--

JOHN DICKERSON: --oh, okay. So it'll--

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: --and changing.

JOHN DICKERSON: --be permanent?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Of course.​

that was exhausting. like the gish gallop performed by a rude but limited AI

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So after that whole thing, Trump promised they won't allow higher charges for pre-existing conditions?

tbm24

So does that transcript kill the States can opt out of covering pre-existing conditions part of the new bill? Honestly it's hard to understand wtf he's trying to say, but that's what I got out of the end.

tmarg

So does that transcript kill the States can opt out of covering pre-existing conditions part of the new bill? Honestly it's hard to understand wtf he's trying to say, but that's what I got out of the end.

It means he doesn't understand the bill, or that he's lying, or likely both. Him giving an interview doesn't override actual legislation.

It's hard to understand because he doesn't have a fucking clue what he is talking about.

You should know by now that you can't take anything he says to mean anything

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Trump just says whatever is on the tip of his stupid ass tongue at any given moment. Whatever vacuous sort-of sentences spill out of his flabby, jowled face have significantly less bearing on what actual policy is than what your average mentally ill homeless man on the corner rambles about.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's pretty obvious the plan is to jack up rates of those with pre-existing conditions and then, when people start complaining, somehow blame Obamacare for those rate hikes.

Kevinroc

From a few days ago. I do think this twitter thread can apply to this thread.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/858117904679800833

Ben Wikler‏Verified account
@benwikler

Folks don't realize how close the GOP is to repealing the affordable care act right now. 1/

Unlike last time, they have the Freedom Caucus—and not only that, the Koch brothers and conservative movement apparatus is on board 2/

Simply because there's so damn much else going on, and because Trump isn't talking about it, this isn't the by-far-#1 story yet—but 3/

if the GOP does pull the votes together, they'll move very quickly. And the Senate could move faster than one would imagine. Moreover, 4/

The GOP has something to pull in moderates: $150 billion. To fund "high risk pools," which don't work, but that's a lot of dough. 5/

House GOP leadership is spending this weekend intensively negotiating to get moderate Rs on board. They're close. 6/

The only thing that will stop the House moderates from shredding health care is massive pressure from their constituents. Pronto. 7/

House Republicans need to feel that they'll lose their jobs if they vote for this bill. Full stop. And by rights, they SHOULD over this.

The new AHCA bill is even worse than the old one. Shreds protections for people with preexisting conditions. Vicious, dangerous, needless.

(Someone asked about the Senate)

I think this whole situation is McConnell's worst nightmare. But he can replace the bill with whatever he wants if it reaches the Senate.

Before the previous almost-vote, the word was that he'd basically finished negotiating a Senate bill & was ready to jam it through

(And then a discussion about if it could get the votes in the Senate. With someone saying they don't think it could get 50.)

Agree, but I'd much rather not find out

A GOP confident they'll get the votes to pass it wouldn't have folded like a wet napkin an hour after Pelosi threatened the shut down.

Because if they were organized enough to pass the repeal, they'd be organized enough to pass the budget without the Democrats, and so her threat would have been meaningless.

Kevinroc

A GOP confident they'll get the votes to pass it wouldn't have folded like a wet napkin an hour after Pelosi threatened the shut down.

Because if they were organized enough to pass the repeal, they'd be organized enough to pass the budget without the Democrats, and so her threat would have been meaningless.

I think a lot of this is to make sure people don't get complacent. Continue to hammer in opposition to Trumpcare. Continue to hammer in opposition to the Anti-Science push. Continue to hammer in opposition to Trump's Tax plan.

Continue to hammer in opposition to Trump.

From a few days ago. I do think this twitter thread can apply to this thread.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/858117904679800833

(Someone asked about the Senate)

(And then a discussion about if it could get the votes in the Senate. With someone saying they don't think it could get 50.)

There's no verification of this though. In fact we've got more on-the-record No votes than these vague Yes's that supposedly exist.

Yeah, this is them trying to get moderates on board by claiming that they'll be a handful of no votes against the overwhelming GOP consensus. Trying to convince people to back the "winning team."

Really doubt it'll work.

Still, if we need a little harmless fearmongering to keep people engaged on the issue I'm okay with that.

I'm not convinced anything has changed. If you're a GOP moderate there's no pressure on you to vote for this shit sandwich. You know even if it passes the senate won't pass it, meaning you're on the hook for a shitty bill that isn't even going to become law. What has changed between now and the first emergence of this revised bill and alleged "deal"?

Yeah, this is them trying to get moderates on board by claiming that they'll be a handful of no votes against the overwhelming GOP consensus. Trying to convince people to back the "winning team."

Really doubt it'll work.

Still, if we need a little harmless fearmongering to keep people engaged on the issue I'm okay with that.

Pretty much.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They aren't close. They're just literally taking the administration at their word saying they've got all the players on board despite all the evidence that they don't.

Absolutely nothing wrong with encouraging people to call their congressmen, but the hysteria isn't helpful.

If they do somehow manage to pass it, they will be savaged in the midterms. Even then, there's absolutely no fucking way the Senate passes this bill.

Honestly it's pretty transparent. The only indications of AHCA passage on the horizon are groups like CAP and MoveOn saying "it's about to pass unless you call your representatives now!" I've seen nothing from reporters about this nor do any actions from Trump or Congressional Republicans suggest they're close.

kadotsu

Banned
I agree. The message right now should be something like "stay vigilant" until Paul Ryan pulls the next piece of legislation out of his ass.

Really doubt it'll work.

Pretty much.

Armaros

They aren't close. They're just literally taking the administration at their word saying they've got all the players on board despite all the evidence that they don't.

Absolutely nothing wrong with encouraging people to call their congressmen, but the hysteria isn't helpful.

If they do somehow manage to pass it, they will be savaged in the midterms. Even then, there's absolutely no fucking way the Senate passes this bill.

And the WH doesn't even have a proper apparatus to interact with Capital Hill. The only time they interact with Congress is when the big named go down there (which is almost Instantly found out) or Trump invites them into the WH. (Which is also instantly found out)

The WH is the last place to discover the actual vote after the shit show last time.

Ogodei

This is some pretty casual imperialist nonsense.

Sovereignty ends at the international responsibility to protect. Lives are not worth less than the value of anti-colonialism.

Though i'll admit my post was an emotional outburst, because arresting Duterte would cause more problems than it would solve. More to the point that we should be pursuing routes of diplomatic condemnation instead of inviting that murderer into our country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You could just say you'll pray for them, it's the same sentiment.

No. I'm pointing out, quite accurately, arresting Duterte would be a stupid idea that would actively make the situation worse. That doesn't mean we do nothing, and there are many things that could feasibly be done - increasing asylum acceptances, funding Filipino NGOs, targeted sanctions on members of the regime, offering to reduce US subsidies for markets the Philippines is an exporter for in return for reforms, and so on. Instead, you're proposing some feelgood policy that demonstrates no understanding of the situation and leaves more people dead by the end of it. Mind you, that's in line with most of your policy ideas, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

No. I'm pointing out, quite accurately, arresting Duterte would be a stupid idea that would actively make the situation worse. That doesn't mean we do nothing, and there are many things that could feasibly be done - increasing asylum acceptances, funding Filipino NGOs, targeted sanctions on members of the regime, offering to reduce US subsidies for markets the Philippines is an exporter for in return for reforms, and so on. Instead, you're proposing some feelgood policy that demonstrates no understanding of the situation and leaves more people dead by the end of it. Mind you, that's in line with most of your policy ideas, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

We point out all the time that most of these things do nothing and are also feel good policies. Duterte and his fans give no fucks about condemnation; you might remember his comments where he told Obama to go fuck himself, it was in the news.

I actually agree with this tbh. Duerte is not a one-of-a-kind figure. He'd almost certainly be replaced by somebody inside his administration who may be slightly better, may be slightly worse, but almost certainly would feel pressure to cut US ties significantly in response to us arresting a figure who, reminder, is still wildly popular. If the dude had Trump-tier figures that'd be one thing, but most Filipinos still seem basically on board with the massacres. We have a lot of options to help make things better that don't rely on us lucking out with regards to his successor.

That said I'm still cool with bashing Trump for actually inviting this guy over.

broz0rs

I think the one positive about this Duterte thing is that it'll bring a lot more attention to his atrocities and get his name up there with Putin, Assad, and Kim. Personally, I detest Duterte more than any other world leader at the moment because he's essentially killing off the most needy people over there and convincing the Filpino middle class that it's the right thing to do. It's the equivalent of India declaring war on the "untouchable" caste using the drug trade as an excuse. I have some friends in the Philippines who are smart, financially successful and they're all thinking he's doing the right thing and the murders are fake news perpetuated by the west. Recently, the top cop of Manila went on record to say the killings were ordered by Duterte so I'm hoping impeachment will become a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom