• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule #1 of Politico is never take their articles at face value.

I don't really see anything in there to make me think they can pass it. Phrases like "within striking distance of a majority" are pretty meaningless, aside from confirming that they don't currently have the votes.

Wilsongt

A Republican candidate seeking to fill Montana’s empty congressional seat, has financial ties to Russian companies sanctioned by the U.S. government, The Guardian first reported.

Greg Gianforte — the leading Republican nominee for Montana’s House seat for the 2017 special election left vacant after Ryan Zinke (R) resigned to become the Secretary of Interior — reportedly owns about $250,000 worth of shares in two index funds that have holdings in companies like Gazprom and Rosneft which are sanctioned by the U.S. government. Gazprom, a Russian state-controlled gas company based in Crimea, was sanctioned after it threatened to cut off gas when the Ukraine crisis erupted in 2014.

Congrats on your new congressional seat, Mr. Gianforte.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

This article didn't say anything shocking but there's some interesting stuff about what basically anyone who'd consider running in 2020 (well, except no Brown or Franken mentions but maybe we're the only people who actually want that) are up to in terms of setting up for a run. Other than the usual Booker, Cuomo, Gillibrand, etc. it mentions Klobuchar (who I've thought is sort of a dark horse that never gets brought up but could be strong, bit too conservative for my tastes though), benji's favorite McAuliffe, Seth Moulton (?), Garcetti, and some others, plus what Biden, Warren, and Bernie have been up to.

Diablos

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and his top lieutenants announced Thursday that they did not have sufficient votes to be sure the health-care bill would pass but vowed to press on.

“We're still educating members,” House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told reporters after a late-night health care meeting last week. “We’ve been making great progress. As soon as we have the votes, we’ll vote on it.”
The fuck does that even mean, young gun?

Ogodei

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

This article didn't say anything shocking but there's some interesting stuff about what basically anyone who'd consider running in 2020 (well, except no Brown or Franken mentions but maybe we're the only people who actually want that) are up to in terms of setting up for a run. Other than the usual Booker, Cuomo, Gillibrand, etc. it mentions Klobuchar (who I've thought is sort of a dark horse that never gets brought up but could be strong, bit too conservative for my tastes though), benji's favorite McAuliffe, Seth Moulton (?), Garcetti, and some others, plus what Biden, Warren, and Bernie have been up to.

Garcetti and Moulton need to try for another level first, governor of their state in both cases. Landrieu might be in position. In my mind, Harris, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, Booker, and Cuomo are the big 5. I'm doubtful on Biden or Warren, extremely doubtful on Sanders.

Ogodei

I'd be all in on President Franken. I'm surprised he isn't going for it.

Sherrod Brown not moving is something i understand. Like Warren and Sanders, i feel they're best suited for the Senate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sherrod Brown not moving is something i understand. Like Warren and Sanders, i feel they're best suited for the Senate.

Franken would be a better VP candidate. If he's the guy they'll be able to play his SNL stuff to try and tar and feather him and the country might be tired of TV-star types by then.

As much as I'd love Brown (he's probably just behind Franken in a primary for me), I think it's worth considering that the Ohio Senate seat is lost forever when he retires.

sangreal

probably because:

That is what the Democrats have been offering to concede since day 1 -- long before Trump fucked up the negotiations

Congress never goes along with the President's budget, so I doubt that was even a factor in negotiations. They've made their own deals

In fact, Graham said a month ago that Democrats were willing to give the President his military spending as long as it didn't come at the expense of domestic programs:

”Democrats, I think, are in a spot where they're open-minded to military spending as long as it doesn't come at the expense of" domestic spending, Graham said. ”Here's what I'd tell my colleagues in the House: If you don't think the Defense Department is an emergency situation, you've just stopped listening."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/border-wall-trump-congress-funding-236561

Teggy

I swear hannity is going to have a nervous breakdown any second now.

Sean Hannity @seanhannity

There is Zero chance they can stop me with lies, attacks, slander defamation, and NOW sabotage. I have a massive army, ALL OVER THIS. SOON!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
haha no

practically no one on the moderate/conservative side cared that trump was basically just a celebrity tv host, i really doubt they'll suddenly start caring in 2020

I'm saying the national mood might lean towards wanting someone with some actual experience by then, especially after 4 years of the Trump shit show aging us all exponentially.

teiresias

I'm saying the national mood might lean towards wanting someone with some actual experience by then, especially after 4 years of the Trump shit show aging us all exponentially.

Franken has been a senator for like eight years, there's no way to paint him as having no experience. I don't think he'll run, I just think that's kind of a worthless attack angle if you're running against him.

sangreal

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/30/ryan-obamacare-repeal-house-republicans-237815

Now we know why the activists were sounding the alarm bells over the last few days.

People have already stopped paying attention, assuming they can't get the votes or that the Senate won't pass something. It's pretty worrying tbh

but on the other hand...
Ryan and his team still have to nail down about 20 undecided Republicans. More than 15 lawmakers — mostly moderates — have said publicly they will not vote for the current bill. So GOP leaders, who can only lose 22 votes, are scrambling to persuade those who haven’t made up their minds.

The odds are not in their favor

PKrockin

I swear hannity is going to have a nervous breakdown any second now.
I tuned in to Hannity's radio show a few times a few days ago and the only callers he took while I was listening was people who called in to tell him what a great person he is, how the accusations are all liberal smears, he's the only person they trust, [slurp kiss lick]

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So this budget compromise?
How fucked are Republicans that they compromised this much?

I have to admit I did not see this coming.

teiresias

So this budget compromise?
How fucked are Republicans that they compromised this much?

I have to admit I did not see this coming.

This reads to me like the crazies in the HFC weren't even in on the talks so as to not risk them gumming up the works. Unlike with the AHCA it seems the GOP establishment decided to forgo even trying to get them on board.

Chumly

Does the deal actually fund the insurance subsidies for deductible reductions for low income people. I keep seeing that the trump administration will "indefinitely" fund them but that doesn't mean shit. Are they funded or are we supposed to take trumps word that they promise to fund them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This reads to me like the crazies in the HFC weren't even in on the talks so as to not risk them gumming up the works. Unlike with the AHCA it seems the GOP establishment decided to forgo even trying to get them on board.

It's a major change in strategy, frankly I don't know what to think now.

teiresias

Does the deal actually fund the insurance subsidies for deductible reductions for low income people. I keep seeing that the trump administration will "indefinitely" fund them but that doesn't mean shit. Are they funded or are we supposed to take trumps word that they promise to fund them.

Given the amount of power dems and Pelosi seem to have had over this process, that signals the GOP was in no position to get anything passed with only GOP votes. I think the leverage here is that if Trump goes rogue the Dems just refuse to play in the future and the GOP, with control of all levers of government, get a government shutdown on their watch come October - the Dems are basically saying, keep Trump in line on this through the remainder of the FY or we walk come September. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACA payments aren't a major part of the negotiations for a full FY18 budget. Hell, given what the dems got in this bill the new FY moving on with just a CR would be a win too.

Slayven

Shout out to Schumer and Pelosi putting in the work to not get us killed when by all rights they shouldn't even be able to pass gas

Suikoguy

Shout out to Schumer and Pelosi putting in the work to not get us killed when by all rights they shouldn't even be able to pass gas

I'm going to miss Pelosi.

What happened with the Arts, PBS, NPR, etc. in regards to the budget?

I've not heard yet, but considering how small the budget for them is, I seriously doubt they were cut.

teiresias

I've not heard yet, but considering how small the budget for them is, I seriously doubt they were cut.

Gutting those was part of Trump's "skinny" preliminary budget proposal that was talking about what the WHI wanted in the budget that would need to pass before October 1. This deal was all just trying to close out the remainder of this fiscal year, and given the leverage dems seem to have had I'd doubt any of the arts and PBS stuff was on the cutting block here and likely continues as under the previous appropriations.

Teggy

Gutting those was part of Trump's "skinny" preliminary budget proposal that was talking about what the WHI wanted in the budget that would need to pass before October 1. This deal was all just trying to close out the remainder of this fiscal year, and given the leverage dems seem to have had I'd doubt any of the arts and PBS stuff was on the cutting block here and likely continues as under the previous appropriations.

I know Planned Parenthood is funded in this deal so it's likely the rest is too.

Also, surprise (said no one)

President Donald Trump invited brutal Philippine strongman Pres. Rodrigo Duterte to the White House without first consulting the State Department or the National Security Council to ask about our country's relationship to the Duterte regime, said The Hill on Sunday.

Honestly . . . Dems working with moderate Rs to fund the government is exactly how the system is supposed to work. Even if there is stuff in there we don't like, it's kind of nice to see such a compromise. A brief return to sane politics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly . . . Dems working with moderate Rs to fund the government is exactly how the system is supposed to work. Even if there is stuff in there we don't like, it's kind of nice to see such a compromise. A brief return to sane politics.

If politics were sane the GOP wouldn't need the Dems at all. We're lucky the tea party is so crazy and Trump is so dumb.

Suikoguy

Yeah, that's why i'm still a little hesitant to fully celebrate until it passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom