• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS twitter thread (?)

I mean i could use these arguments to justify the creation of any thread...and if every games twitter page had a thread i feel discussion would be far less productive here on gaf. Currently as somebody intrigued by the game im finding it hard to find any actually impactful discussion thats not just hype imo. Ultimately the community is contributing to making the game less intriguing to me with all these unneccesary threads.
C'mon son.. lol

All of the community on gaf lol? You see threads on facebook, yahoo answers and ask jeeves? Yall love making problems
As per the post before, the Global Test Punch.

Only two days remain for NA, but 3 for the rest of the world.
Geez im so out of the loop. Went on a trip last week and still aint recover fully

LotusHD

Banned
What are you event talking about. I have no idea where you are where Springman's design isn't "socially acceptable". The only thing remotely stuck in the past is his hairstyle

I wouldn't say that Min Min's design is all that well indicative of "modern" sensibilities more than Spring Man's is, given that she plays pretty much entirely into her two primary stereotypes (ramen, and East Asian martial arts). I sure wouldn't say that the dragon arm is at all meant to reference tattoo sleeves. Spring Man is an enthusiastic comeback-kid boxer and his look is designed around that in the same way that Min Min's works for her theme. Most all of the characters seem to be designed around similar mashups between two different styles (Ribbons + pop idol, snakes + extreme sports, clockwork + police, ninja + student, etc).

Yea... Min Min is cool, but I don't really get that post at all, despite it being a lot of words lol

Everyone gets it at the same time, but the first session happens when it's still Friday in the US.

Ah...

jdstorm

Banned
What are you event talking about. I have no idea where you are where Springman's design isn't "socially acceptable". The only thing remotely stuck in the past is his hairstyle

Socially acceptible was poor word choice, and perhaps didn't properly emphasize the point i was trying to make. What i was trying to emphasize was that Spring Man's design was undesirable. He's a cliche "jock" stereotype who is being introduced into a society where that stereotype is code for stupidity and ignorance. Unless he is an overly stupid caricature in the spirit of a Homer Simpson or Andy Dwyer his design doesnt fit within the typical consensus oppinion of what a modern man should be, which is problematic when Springman is meant to evoke the male ideal.

Its a bit old and i'm on mobile so i cant post images. However a better example is Paul Walker in Pleasantville vs Walker in Varsity Blues or the first Fast and Furious film. By comparing and contrasting these looks between era's on the same actor you can see how the defult "plain" archtype has changed over time.

The Modern version of the archtype seems to favor Beards or Glasses as both a well kept beard and/or glasses indicates that a character is cultured. This is important when the next generation of humanity are defining themselves through creativity and defining themselves through a complicated collaboration of brand associations. Having a beard and/or glasses imply thought and care has gone into a characters appearence and this implies inteligence and creativity by association. These qualities are much closer to the modern male ideal then spring man's design.

In gaming this is exemplified by the Street Fighter's Ryu having bearded Alt that was commonly refered to as "Hot Ryu" or "Sexy Ryu" as Ryu with a beard was more desirable to modern audiences then his traditional design.

Doorman

I...think you're reading way too far into the intentions of Spring Man's design. He's not supposed to represent "the ideal male" insomuch as just being the most "everyman" character among an otherwise very eclectic cast. His primary motif is boxing, which would work as a more unique hook in other games, but since extendable-arms-boxing is the primary sport that the game is built around, it just means he comes off looking more default than the other character themes present.

LotusHD

Banned
Wow, uhh, now I'm even more confused...

Also Spring Man best "jock"

C-8zsW0VwAARP2i.jpg:orig

jdstorm

Banned
Wow, uhh, now I'm even more confused...

Also Spring Man best "jock"

C-8zsW0VwAARP2i.jpg:orig

I'm wierd. Sometimes i type words just to type.

I...think you're reading way too far into the intentions of Spring Man's design. He's not supposed to represent "the ideal male" insomuch as just being the most "everyman" character among an otherwise very eclectic cast. His primary motif is boxing, which would work as a more unique hook in other games, but since extendable-arms-boxing is the primary sport that the game is built around, it just means he comes off looking more default than the other character themes present.

Maybe. However most "everyperson" fictional characters are idealized versions of a specific every person archtype rather then an actual everyperson. This is something that moreso exists with female characters where "Makeover" scenes are prevelant and you find out that the ugly duckling is a really a swan or Cinderella is the most beautiful princess ect.

However it also applies to men. Typical everyman heroes like John McClaine or Han Solo are better looking then your average male and more recently actors like Hugh Jackman and Brad Pitt have become representative of the everyman despite asthetically being anything but ordinary.

Its similar in gaming where recently Naughty Dog characters Nathan Drake and Joel are your standard everyman protagonists despite being extremely good looking, while the cast of FFXV got killed for being too Boy Band with their only faupas being that they wore matching leather where it ws somewhat inappropriate.

I understand conceptually how each characters are blending well worn archtypes/stereotypes into things that are new and interesting. Most work really well and in truth i am being overly harsh towards Springman. However in my oppinion thats the difference between a 10/10 design and a 6 or 7/10 design.

Edit: Its also worth noting that Boxing as a motif is somewhat dated. Presently UFC and Mixed Martial Arts are the dominant combat sports on the planet so a modern protagonists designed as an everyman protagonist with a combat sports background should visually adhere more in style to a UFC fighter then a boxer lest they become a punchline....

Sorry that joke bad.

Edit 2: for reference here is the most recent version of Superman and one that was universally well recieved. Notice how while much of his costume and look comes from classic 50s/60s interpretation, he still has a healthy cover of stubble to make him relevant to modern audiences.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Superman
Archie
James Dean's iconic look
Add Black Hair and a Sequence jacket and Springman is Elvis

It feels like generic 1950s/60s Americana, except it doesnt carry enough modern influences so rather then being "Timeless and updated" it just feels stuck in the past.

7njSPO4.png

Spring Man's design alone perfectly summarizes what the game is all about. I mean, your opinion is subjective. I don't think Spring Man's design is generic. Find me a character that looks similar. Twin looks great as a character, but I'm not sure how you can say her look is above his. But it's all subjective.
I don't think his design is interesting enough or fun enough to sum up this game. Just look at his character art, it's just him throwing a reserved punch in a generic punch pose.

As for design there's fuck tons of characters that look like him. As stated earlier he mimics the "retro/ 1960s Americana" look (I say mimic because I feel like it's forced and just kinda painted by that goal instead of doing something interesting). Hell, I could say he looks like The Fonz with a coat of USA flag toss on.

Colors wise he gets the safest lil trap of colors you can ask for to make something familiar for the western people (Red White and Blue) but it fails to land because none of the colors are predominant enuff to stand out, they seem evenly spread across his body.

As for his out fit he has Boxer shoes, some kinda gym shorts (basketball shorts it looks like to me), a nondescript jersey being covered by some random chest protection. His arms are just old time telephone coils.

In contrast Ribbon Girl looks like a cheerleader, has a clear predominant color and her ARMS are Ribbons. Her character art also shows her doing something interesting with her ARMS, pushing the concept of the game and the theme of her character.

I actually find Twintelle to be a fair bit more "generic" than Spring Man, insofar as her lower torso is pretty much copy/pasted from Bayonetta, right down to the booty and style of pants. Beyond that she's a pretty girl with a lucha mask and drill-tails.

That's such a strange thing to say.
It's like saying Min Min's torso looks copy-pasted from a FF14 female because they share a style and color scheme.

Twintelle's mid-air float pose is pretty much straight out of Bayonetta. I don't mind, though, because it's super-cool, and I adore Bayonetta.

I think Twin's animation takes great inspiration from JoJo. Her mid air stuff looks like it was taken from that.
She's unique in that she has 4 arms, leaving her two arms to express a clear full body pose with well using the ARMS to fight. And anyone who watches JoJo knows they love to strike beautiful poses that make no functional sense in a fight. Hell, the end to her reveal trailer looks just like this.

kiri

Sooooooooooooooo.....we making an ARMS Global Testpunch OT? I'm curious about the times in my area (GMT)

Oddish1

That's a really interesting perspective and I like that you put a lot of thought into it. I do disagree on a few things though. I think the appeal of Nathan Drake's and the Joel's of videogames is that they're tapping into the typical age of the average playstation player, probably someone in their 30s with kids which is why older nurturing father figure protecting and guiding younger character are so popular nowadays, see also: God of War.

For ARMs though, the targeted demographic is much younger and meant to have wider appeal. So the face of the game is younger and has aspirations and dreams to be a top ARMs competitor. It makes sense to me that the face of the game is motivated entirely by competing since that's what the average player is going to be if they pick up this game.

Sooooooooooooooo.....we making an ARMS Global Testpunch OT? I'm curious about the times in my area (GMT)

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/22/uk-here-are-your-times-for-the-arms-global-testpunch/

Obviously subtract an hour for GMT.

Saturday May 27th
01:00 – 01:59 BST
13:00 – 13:59 BST
19:00 – 19:59 BST

Sunday May 28th

Saturday June 3rd

Sunday June 4th

kiri

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/22/uk-here-are-your-times-for-the-arms-global-testpunch/

Obviously subtract an hour for GMT.

Saturday May 27th

Sunday May 28th

Saturday June 3rd

Sunday June 4th

Cheers! Ugh, I have to stay awake until 1am on Friday night as I'll miss the other two periods due to the cinema.... oh well!

Dystify

By the way, I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but from how they worded that one tweet I'm pretty sure the 3 maps announced are the maps for Testpunch week 1. The eShop also lists that we're able to play all 10 characters, leading me to believe week 2 will probably have all 10 characters unlocked and different/more maps.

I've also heard comments from journalists who attended the latest ARMS session about two of the characters being a bit more advanced in play and require a bit more skill. It makes sense that they'd only let us play the easier to learn characters at first.

By the way, I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but from how they worded that one tweet I'm pretty sure the 3 maps announced are the maps for Testpunch week 1. The eShop also lists that we're able to play all 10 characters, leading me to believe week 2 will probably have all 10 characters unlocked and different/more maps.

I've also heard comments from journalists who attended the latest ARMS session about two of the characters being a bit more advanced in play and require a bit more skill. It makes sense that they'd only let us play the easier to learn characters at first.

I assume one of them is Helix due to his unconventional fighting style.

I actually mean two of the three not playable characters this weekend. It may have just been like that to them though, no idea. The guys at IGN called Byte and Barc a bit overpowered, on the other hand. I guess personal preference always plays a role.

Helix is already confirmed to be playable.

The thing with Byte and Barc is that while theyhave three arms, Byte himself is slow compared to the entire roster so he went be OP. Also Barc isn't controlled by the player so he isn't much of a threat.

I honestly don't find Byte and Barc hard to control rather Helix seems like a more challenging character to control seeing how some people have a hard time using him correctly.

mas8705

I'm conflicted: on one hand, I got work, but on the other, I am technically going to be at lunch for at least a few of these times.

Guess I'm bringing my Switch to work! :D

Top Bottom