• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Does anyone know if Gamestop will allow you to trade in your older consoles toward the purchase of a Switch if they don't have any in stock. Would they put you on a waitlist and apply the trade in credit toward the Switch when the receive more in stock. I really want to take advantage of the extra trade in credit deal they have going on. I want to trade in my OG Xbox One, New 3DS, OG 3DS, and Vita towards the Switch. I figure this is a good way to perform some housekeeping, eliminate some clutter, and get a new console in the process. I would also trade in my Wii U, but I need to keep that until I'm done with Zelda.

From the other thread or even earlier in this thread - unfortunately the Switch system has to be in stock.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
Oh wow we just got Prime Now in Milwaukee yesterday. Having trouble finding the instructions to set up alerts for that. Any help? Or have you guys just been refreshing the page/searching for Switch intermittently?

NeonBlack

iStockNow told me a nearby Walmart had some Switches in so I went to go check it out. BrickSeek told me the same thing a couple weeks ago but I found nothing so I wasn't really expecting anything this time either but...

O6oTcxb.png

I guess it paid off, they got some in last night. Finally, time to Zelda.

So do you like Legend of Zelda?

Futureman

damn I wish Pittsburgh had Prime Now. Cincy but not Pittsburgh?!

I see iStock showing some at Target but no way I'm getting over there. SIGH.

Clipse

GameStop (South NJ) I was waiting at yesterday morning that didn't receive stock is definitely getting 5 today. Already had 5 people standing around waiting when I stopped in. Oh well.

Since it's new I would say go for it( especially with the receipt). Though I wonder from the seller's side, what exactly is the point of going through the trouble of getting a Switch to sell it for $30-$40 profit? Unless he's got a bunch of them and he's hoping to make a few hundred from the accumulated sales.

I've been wondering this for a bit now. Out of curiosity, I hopped on Ebay the other day to check out "sold" listings for Switch. The vast majority of them seemed to sell for $100 to $150 more than MSRP, with most being on the lower end of that spectrum. With Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping costs, I wouldn't really be motivated to go through the trouble for like $40.

That being said, I have a friend who does stuff like that all the time and just finds it enjoyable. So I guess it just depends on what you like doing in your spare time.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
seems they just guarantee you get your money back but not your e-mail and shipping address and other info that these sellers are likely selling to 3rd parties

bgbball31

iStickNow and BrickSeek both said a local walmart had 5 switches in stock, but just called them and they said they were completely out. YMMV using them.

Yarbskoo

So do you like Legend of Zelda?

It's alright.

Nah, a true Zelda fan would have changed his desktop's background to something Link-related.

This game may change that.

I do have a framed Ocarina of Time poster though, so that's something.

iStickNow and BrickSeek both said a local walmart had 5 switches in stock, but just called them and they said they were completely out. YMMV using them.

Yeah, I may have just been lucky. The associate in electronics mentioned how fortuitous my timing was, as they'd gotten the stock in only the night before.

Unicorn

Woke up early to be at Walmart for 6 am opening. Brickseek said 5 yesterday and 3 last night and this morning. I called when they had 5 and they said an order was coming, but clearly it was there. This morning dude said they had 0 after I waited outside for 40 mins. Told him I checked stock and there should be 3 and please, can you check in back or something. They called a manager and they were holding the 3 Switches somewhere. In the time I waited a second dude came up to buy one. 3rd probably sold after I walked out.

I'm ready for splatoon 2 test fire! And Zelda! Lots of running around and questionable answers over the phone, but it finally happened.

Does anyone know if Gamestop will allow you to trade in your older consoles toward the purchase of a Switch if they don't have any in stock. Would they put you on a waitlist and apply the trade in credit toward the Switch when the receive more in stock. I really want to take advantage of the extra trade in credit deal they have going on. I want to trade in my OG Xbox One, New 3DS, OG 3DS, and Vita towards the Switch. I figure this is a good way to perform some housekeeping, eliminate some clutter, and get a new console in the process. I would also trade in my Wii U, but I need to keep that until I'm done with Zelda.

You can do it, but only if you order one of the in-store online order bundles that sell around $460

OryoN

Woke up early to be at Walmart for 6 am opening. Brickseek said 5 yesterday and 3 last night and this morning. I called when they had 5 and they said an order was coming, but clearly it was there. This morning dude said they had 0 after I waited outside for 40 mins. Told him I checked stock and there should be 3 and please, can you check in back or something. They called a manager and they were holding the 3 Switches somewhere. In the time I waited a second dude came up to buy one. 3rd probably sold after I walked out.

I'm ready for splatoon 2 test fire! And Zelda! Lots of running around and questionable answers over the phone, but it finally happened.

Hmmm, that does sound kinda shady, as though someone on the team was trying to secure/hold the console for someone else (friends/family). Hopefully just a misunderstanding. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get one.

I always planned to get my Switch around the time of Splatoon 2's launch, but man, I'm really gonna missed not being part of the test fire this time around. :(

Seems like the gamestops in my area (MA) finally got their shipments today. I was able to grab one this morning

Nice, unfortunately mine didn't get their's in today so crossing fingers for tomorrow. I seem to live right in this sweet spot in southern MA that's going to get restocked just a day late compared to Boston and providence.

Jrs3000

It's actually accurate. I went to walmart and one of the staff told me they do have switches in stock that sites can see but they are all preorders that will be put on the floor(my store said by end of month) if not picked up. Your chance to grab one will be when the preorders are put back. You will need to check daily are get a insider who would let you know once they put them on the floor. I dont know the policy for preordered items if you dont pick up for walmart. Is it 30 days?

I've been wondering this for a bit now. Out of curiosity, I hopped on Ebay the other day to check out "sold" listings for Switch. The vast majority of them seemed to sell for $100 to $150 more than MSRP, with most being on the lower end of that spectrum. With Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping costs, I wouldn't really be motivated to go through the trouble for like $40.

Yeah, you'd have to be scalping enough units to get any decent overall return. Weigh that against the time and efforts to acquire, I guess it's a YMMV thing as far as whether it's worth it.
It checks out, everything looks good. Zelda's still in the plastic too. He said it was a gift but he didn't want it.

Sounds good, hope you enjoy :)

Faiz

Looks like Target stock is starting to refresh in my region. Hoping our local stores get some tomorrow to out out on Saturday morning. If they come in today for Friday morning sales I'm DOA on that front again.

HeroR

Man, Wii Sports was not a 1-2 Switch. It was beloved right away. The Wii was hot fire right away. It didn't take weeks or even days. There was heaps of hype and heaps of naysayers pre-launch like most systems, but the mainstream press were alllllll over Wii and Wii Sports. The comparison to 1-2 Switch is very weak. 1-2 Switch had, has, and will always have no hype. Its parallel is Wii Play if anything.

It wasn't beloved right away at all. It was called a N64 game and a tech demo. I remember the Wii very well since it was the first system I really followed. It being a pack-in game was praised since people thought no would buy it.

Amazon Prime Now for the Tampa, Florida area just came through for me. Just put in an order for the Blue/Red Switch console and the Pro controller. YAY!

Now I just got to grab Zelda on the way home.

Futureman

it's weird that with this second shipment there's been no stock online. I guess Best Buy had gray systems for like 15 seconds on Monday I think. Other than that nothing.

it's weird that with this second shipment there's been no stock online. I guess Best Buy had gray systems for like 15 seconds on Monday I think. Other than that nothing.

It's maddening, especially living in a big city like NYC where there are hundreds of people waiting for them and no stock to speak of.

I have no shot at getting one unless they release some stock online.

I went to three Best Buy stores two days ago..one had four the other had five, first one I went to sold out the day before. Literally just received shipment, timing could not have been any better. Only hint was the Best Buy selling out..which made me call and check other stores.

Micapo

Come visit the beautiful capital of Sweden, Stockholm and enjoy the nice air and cold weather and buy as many switches as you can carry.

Every electronics and gaming store I've been to has them in stock. No NES classic minis anywhere here though so bring some with you please

WGMBY

Amazon Prime Now for the Tampa, Florida area just came through for me. Just put in an order for the Blue/Red Switch console and the Pro controller. YAY!

Now I just got to grab Zelda on the way home.

I'm hoping Prime Now in Boston will have it soon, but service only started yesterday so they might not have any stock ready up here yet.

Ducktail

Wow, I guess this is the new Wii.

I'm planning to get one in September when I go to the US. Are stocks likely to be abundant by then?

Dragoon Roll

Neo Member
Been calling around since Wednesday and had pretty much given up after most places were saying they sold out after opening today, but decided to give a random Gamestop I don't usually go to on a whim and they had one. Same Gamestop that helped me get a PS4.

So I just left a Gamestop in central illinois.

They didn't have any in stock, but I was offered this:

For $460 I could "reserve" a purchase. This purchase included:
  • Nintendo Switch Console
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Breath of the Wild Guide
  • Breath of the Wild Expansion*
  • Voucher for Shovel Knight or SnipperClips (Digital)
  • Voucher for Bomberman or Has-Been Heroes (Digital)

She told me they guarantee it will be shipped by March 31st to my home address. I opted out, because she didn't have any fliers or anything that really confirmed this information. It was just her word.

*When I asked what this was, she said it was like a season pass.

Edit: She also told me she was directed to send back some of her inventory to the main warehouse in order to fill these orders, so don't expect anything in stores for a while...

Futureman

They showed me the flier. It was just some B&W photocopy. I believe it but also already own Zelda, don't want the guide and don't want Bomberman/Has-Been.

I would snap up a Switch, Shovel, Snipper bundle!

or at least let you build you own or something if you hit $460 then you are good to go.

It's a Web in Store Bundle. It's legit, it's the way they're trying to push more people into purchasing their bundle plans. With the last one you could potentially return at least some of the items you didn't want and trade them in for cash towards something else, say a preorder. With the digital games that's shot down now.

jimmy5150

Anyone know if Gamestops are also getting Pro Controllers or only Switches?

I'd like to know this too. It's only available as a pre-order on their site with no way to check local stock. Anybody been seeing them when they've gone to pick up their console?

Futureman

It's a Web in Store Bundle. It's legit, it's the way they're trying to push more people into purchasing their bundle plans. With the last one you could potentially return at least some of the items you didn't want and trade them in for cash towards something else, say a preorder. With the digital games that's shot down now.

couldn't you sell a digital voucher though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom