• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

CrazyHal

Made my Atlas a Mercenary. Even with his awful Spd growths, he'll still double 80% of enemies thanks to Merc base Spd, in turn making use of his high Atk. His Spd is otherwise really awful. Like, gets doubled by zombies awful. >.>

Atlas has awful speed growths? I don't know what your taking about. My Atlas currently has 21 speed which is the same has Saber and Kamui.

dN3Saoi.jpg

Reset

Just beat the game. Alm's maps/side of the story were far more enjoyable than Celica's. By the middle to the end Celcia made some stupid decisions, but she's still better than Corrin lol. Oh and I wasn't fan of Alm's twist.
I enjoyed it as much as Awakening, and it's far better than any of the Fate games. If I was going to rank the 3DS games it would be;
SoV / Awakening > Conquest > Revelations > Birthright

Shinypogs

Currently mid-ish chapter 4.
Witches can fuck right off, they are easily the most annoying enemy despite being made of tissue paper. Again not the most difficult enemy just the most annoying.

Warp plus Rescue shenanigans is far too fun on Alms route and I'll miss it the next time around. Python, while no Leon, has made a fine bow knight of himself and snipes all the magic users who might harm the great wall that is Lukas and Gold knight gray. Mathilda is fucking amazing and better than Clive could ever dream of being just. I forged the ridersbane and can often send her off alone to stomp on other Cavalary, sometimes Clive gets to hang around in the background providing support bonuses. dread fighter kliff is a fucking god and is ready to do the villager- dreadfighter loop if I feel the deep desire to break the game even on hard. Alm is actually a fucking disappointment lately and may need whatever stat boosters and springs are left on his route to make up for his currently bleh status.

On Celica's side everyone pulls their weight but Leon is the star of the show. Paladin Atlus is putting in work and Palla is queen of the skies.

Re:Sales this is the first remake since Awakening (the previous remake didn't even make it out of Japan). I wonder if this will do better in the west just due to being new. But I also didn't see nearly as much 'push' for this as I did Awakening/Fates.

his personal speed growth is 25%

25%

and unlike Tobin, he doesn't have 6 base speed or all of Act 1 to get experience

TBF atrocious personal growths were fairly normal pre-Awakening which has super high growths (and caps) by series standards.

Re:Sales this is the first remake since Awakening (the previous remake didn't even make it out of Japan). I wonder if this will do better in the west just due to being new. But I also didn't see nearly as much 'push' for this as I did Awakening/Fates.

TBF atrocious personal growths were fairly normal pre-Awakening which has super high growths (and caps) by series standards.

The game's already done comparatively better in UK and Spain, the two places where we have a rough estimation of sales (former) and actual sales (latter).

Also 25% speed would be bad in any other game except for....the original Gaiden.

So, I'm thinking of reclassing Matilda to a Pegasus Knight line instead of keeping her on a horse. Her stats are pretty good and I would like another flyer beyond Clair. I made Faye a Mage, and she is much too good at that for me to consider swapping her out. Would there be any disadvantage, or is there someone better to burn the fork on?

The game's already done comparatively better in UK and Spain, the two places where we have a rough estimation of sales (former) and actual sales (latter).

Also 25% speed would be bad in any other game except for....the original Gaiden.

Yeah 25 is genuinely bad even by prior standards but it's not as hilariously awful as it seems in comparison to the last couple of games. I've never really understood FEs weird desire to have characters who are legit awful or traps.

ryushe

So yeah, Alm and Faye's A rank support conversation is something else.

It was a little heartbreaking, a bit endearing and just all around handled extremely well.

Ponn

Banned
Fuck me. Went into a shrine on Alms side Chapter 4
Fear Shrine
. This is a long shrine, got really deep, got some neat items, ran into some terrors. They looked like normal terrors to me (my eyesight is bad too so maybe my fault). Run Alm into the middle of them to weaken them and get experience - hey wait a minute they are hitting really hard whats going on? Wait, did they have a different name under their portrait, what the fuck is entombed, WTF ALMS DEAD IN ONE HIT! Game Over. *deep breath* Well that shit was out of nowhere.

It feels like Alms side is, I don't want to say harder but more traditional FE difficulty. I have yet to feel any real challenge on Celicas branch and she seems to have a great mix of characters gameplay wise. Alms side, especially since chapter 3 I have to pay closer attention to Alms battles where as Celica feels like auto pilot.

Rutger

Banned
Yeah 25 is genuinely bad even by prior standards but it's not as hilariously awful as it seems in comparison to the last couple of games. I've never really understood FEs weird desire to have characters who are legit awful or traps.

I feel variety is a good thing in this case for the series. It can be fun in multiple playthroughs to use characters that aren't as good as who I'm used to. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the reason why we keep getting characters that are clearly bad.

Honestly, I think a well balanced roster in a FE game would be a bit less interesting in comparison, so I'm glad it still happens.

Golnei

mind blowing hearing the original Gaiden soundtrack and then Echoes ost side by side

The new arrangements are amazing; but the original pieces still provided a very strong foundation to build off. Though I'm almost disappointed they didn't use some of those original tracks' leitmotifs to pad out the more filler-ish pieces - Encounter, Radiant Ark and Uprising could have been reinterpreted in a few more styles and contexts. I love what they did with the various pieces Undiscovered Horizons and Land of Sorrow were worked into, for example. But overall, those are nitpicks - the soundtrack as a whole is fantastic.

The sound design however, I'm not as enthusiastic about - the separate combat music works with the first few map themes, but the arrangements of Alm and Celica's second map themes would have benefited so much from a dynamic "Ablaze" version. Similarly, the dungeons could have used their own combat map theme, or in the case of Fear Mountain and/or Lost Treescape, a combat variation of their regular music. The way things are now, you also have very little chance to hear the full enemy phase combat theme arrangement - I never even heard the solo cello part until I went and listened to it outside the game.

Sora_N

I just started the game, should I change classes on characters or should I be waiting for a certain level?

Also should I be changing classes based on the stats of the character? Hard to tell who should be what class.

Xenoflare

I just started the game, should I change classes on characters or should I be waiting for a certain level?

Also should I be changing classes based on the stats of the character? Hard to tell who should be what class.

Immediately, promotion is different in this game. Promoting brings the character's stats to the bases of the new classes.

Mercenary has a base speed of 10. a character that has 1 speed in theory will receive +9 in speed, character with a speed of 11 will receive nothing.

Where is the OT title change /s

So, any benefit in waiting to change classes? Growth rates something something, level caps something something?

e: nevermind, answered literally in the post above mine. Awesome, promotions for everybody

Technically it depends on the character and how many levels you can eke out and what you are promoting into. If a character isn't going to beat the base of the promoted class by hanging out for extra stat gain promote straight away, but most characters will on average gain at least a slight advantage from waiting. Though whether it's worth it is likely highly debatable (especially if you're like considering levelling a villager to 20).

It almost certainly isn't for Mercenaries since they can loop back to Villager in the end anyway.

CrazyHal

Jesus that last map. Took me 3 hours to beat it on Hard classic. I manage to finish it without losing a single character. Although i used the rewind clock a bit.

1. Always change class asap
2. There are some classes that are better than others for each character but it doesn't matter THAT much. Like you won't screw over yourself or make the game unbeatable or anything like that if you don't pick the absolute best class for each villager. Go with what feels right.

Technically it depends on the character and how many levels you can eke out and what you are promoting into. If a character isn't going to beat the base of the promoted class by hanging out for extra stat gain promote straight away, but most characters will on average gain at least a slight advantage from waiting. Though whether it's worth it is likely highly debatable (especially if you're like considering levelling a villager to 20).

It almost certainly isn't for Mercenaries since they can loop back to Villager in the end anyway.

vkrili

It might seem like this in a vacuum, but no. Characters earn more EXP when they are lower leveled, even if they are promoted. A level 1 Dread Fighter will get to level 5 faster than a level 10 Myrmidon will get to 12. You will gain more out of promoting immediately. APASAP.

If you don't have rescue then either level up Silque some more
Invoke (Dread)...need I say more
or use the same warp tactic but kill enemies instead and retreat from the map (so basically wait until turn 3)

Sorry, Gilliam, always get those two mixed up, it's been a while.
Even the translators made that mistake with this line in the Gillam - Garcia C rank support:
"Garcia: Oh, is that so? You know, in my day, they said I was without equal. Hm... What do you say, Garcia? Let's arm-wrestle!"

It might seem like this in a vacuum, but no. Characters earn more EXP when they are lower leveled, even if they are promoted. A level 1 Dread Fighter will get to level 5 faster than a level 10 Myrmidon will get to 12. You will gain more out of promoting immediately. APASAP.

Yes, but there's a finite number of levels apart from for the whole Dread Fighter -> Villager thing (or however many pitchforks we end up getting for characters that can't do that or probably shouldn't).

Though I mostly agree with you, as I said it's fairly debatable if it's worth it to truck out the extra levels.

I just hit Act 2, and I'm wondering if I can get some overall tips that may help down the line. I haven't had any major trouble so far, but it sounds like things can get frustrating later on.

Anteo

I just hit Act 2, and I'm wondering if I can get some overall tips that may help down the line. I haven't had any major trouble so far, but it sounds like things can get frustrating later on.

1. Grind
2. ???
3. Profit

No seriously, for Celica route recruiting the PK sisters and leveling them up so they can rush to cantors and kill them makes so many maps much less frustating.

What Anteo says. Also get Genny to at least level 8 so she gets Physic so she can heal your party from anywhere.

Sora_N

Immediately, promotion is different in this game. Promoting brings the character's stats to the bases of the new classes.

Mercenary has a base speed of 10. a character that has 1 speed in theory will receive +9 in speed, character with a speed of 11 will receive nothing.

Where is the OT title change /s

1. Always change class asap
2. There are some classes that are better than others for each character but it doesn't matter THAT much. Like you won't screw over yourself or make the game unbeatable or anything like that if you don't pick the absolute best class for each villager. Go with what feels right.

Thanks guys :)

TannerDemoz

I know levelling works differently in this, but am I making things deliberately difficult by trying to level everyone to 20 before reclassing? Is there a third reclass for everyone?? I've just unlocked what's essentially the destroyer of worlds class for OP God of Arrows, Tobin, after his Sniper class.

Edit: just seen loads of posts clarifying this. Would be interesting to know how many class changes characters have though

Just noticed that if there is grass during an attack animation it gets cut and scattered. Minor detail, but nice nonetheless. I hope it's a harbinger for what we'll see on FE Switch in terms of environmental interaction.

PsionBolt

When you're on the world map, open the menu and look at the bottom. There's a command called "Wait". When you reach the part of the game with infinitely spawning enemy groups, use this command to separate them and handle them one at a time.

As soon as you begin Act 4, have Celica re-enter the area she ended Act 3 in. You can now access an easily-missed character (mediocre), treasure (one of the best items in the game), and stat spring (for a very important stat).

Would be interesting to know how many class changes characters have though

It's subtly indicated by the level at which promotion becomes available. If it becomes available before level 10, there's another tier above; if it becomes available at 10 or later, it's the final promotion. (The only exceptions being the overclass DLCs, which add another tier to every class, and the Mercenary line, who can loop forever for no apparent reason other than to be faithful to Gaiden.)

Anteo

I know levelling works differently in this, but am I making things deliberately difficult by trying to level everyone to 20 before reclassing? Is there a third reclass for everyone?? I've just unlocked what's essentially the destroyer of worlds class for OP God of Arrows, Tobin, after his Sniper class.

Edit: just seen loads of posts clarifying this. Would be interesting to know how many class changes characters have though

There are 3 clases, not couning villager. Your sniper will upgrade into bowknight

Villagers have three class changes. Everybody else has two unless they are already pre-promoted than just one. There is also Overclasses which are DLC only, which once a character reaches level 20 in their final class they can class change one more time. Also somewhat spoiler
There is a thing called the Dread Fighter loop which is Dread Fighters can switch back to the Villager class and then start again. This way you can make your Dread Fighter class characters ridiculously overpowered through grinding overtime.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The map and encounter design in this game is straight garbage. Between the infinite spawning witches and terrors and the shitty warp witches and let's not forget the fact that the enemy archers are miraculously better than yours. Sheesh. I've never hated a Fire Emblem run like this for a long time. Celica's path is way too easy and Alm's is just busted.

Give the healer on Celia side the healing item so she can be able to spam summon soldiers when you have to.

Rutger

Banned
So after hearing all the talk about Cantors, I finally had a chance to fight one.

That was certainly something I guess. I probably wont approach these things so honestly from now on, Mila's Turnwheel should help with that, haha.

Hey all, first time in the thread. How has the reception for this game been since it came out? I was a bit distracted and in the middle of other games when this came out.

First FE game I played was Awakening, and I remember liking it a lot, but never felt compelled to play it again. Picked up Fates, and I have not really been a fan of it...I finished the Conquest story, and was just kinda left disappointed. Started the Birthright campaign, and was messing around with it til a few weeks ago, and am still not sure I care to go back.

Haven't really heard much about this entry, except what its origins are when it was revealed. Wondering if this might be up my alley or not.

PsionBolt

Hey all, first time in the thread. How has the reception for this game been since it came out? I was a bit distracted and in the middle of other games when this came out.

First FE game I played was Awakening, and I remember liking it a lot, but never felt compelled to play it again. Picked up Fates, and I have not really been a fan of it...I finished the Conquest story, and was just kinda left disappointed. Started the Birthright campaign, and was messing around with it til a few weeks ago, and am still not sure I care to go back.

Haven't really heard much about this entry, except what its origins are when it was revealed. Wondering if this might be up my alley or not.

Reception is positive, with some misgivings. Personally, it's my favourite FE (and Gaiden was my favourite before Echoes), so I'm sort of biased, but I definitely think the positives outweigh the negatives.

If Awakening was for you, then Echoes almost certainly is as well. The main complaint about Echoes is the barebones map design, which is a flaw that it shares with Awakening, and the difficulty, which again is similar to Awakening (in that its either super-easy or unfair, depending on its mood). Echoes excels in every other area, with the highest production values in the series (full voice! And it's actually good!), a competent story on par with the best FE stories, interesting systems that are largely new to the series, and a cast of characters who are astoundingly charming given how little personality they had in Gaiden.

TannerDemoz

Villagers have three class changes. Everybody else has two unless they are already pre-promoted than just one. There is also Overclasses which are DLC only, which once a character reaches level 20 in their final class they can class change one more time. Also somewhat spoiler
There is a thing called the Dread Fighter loop which is Dread Fighters can switch back to the Villager class and then start again. This way you can make your Dread Fighter class characters ridiculously overpowered through grinding overtime.

Awesome, cheers. So basically it's not worth the slow-levelling after 10 and I should just reclass and enjoy the easier EXP boosts that come with lower levels?

Anteo

Awesome, cheers. So basically it's not worth the slow-levelling after 10 and I should just reclass and enjoy the easier EXP boosts that come with lower levels?

The game is not long enough to be worth it. If you really wish to get better stats use milas turnwheel to reset any undesired level up and try again on your next battle.

Anteo

So should I change my villagers class right away? Is there any point leveling them past the class change point?

I wouldnt drop everything and rush to mila's statue every time one of them gets to lvl 5. But there is no point on waiting for the to hit 20 or 10.

Great game. I am in chapter 3. Playing Normal/Classic. Most battles aren't hard, but I have to admit that it's challenging at times. I am not a pro in TBS, but I did play many games in the genre so I know some stuff.

The perma-death in classic-mode makes the game hard at times. For example that mission where you fight against teleporting witches. They can one hit some units and you can't really protect yourself against them, because they can teleport and have ranged attacks.

But that's part of the fun. Place your units right, find out which unit is good against what enemy and level up your Turning-Wheel to "reset" some unwelcome outcomes. And it's nice to have a limited amount of resurrections. For example yesterday my healer died from an arrow of the LAST enemy soldier and I couldn't rewind time any more. Would have been ass to replay the whole (long and hard) mission.

I also like the characters, the story and the overall presentation a lot. The world map is great, the little exploration stuff, the dungeons ... all very well done. What I don't like is the inventory-system. A full gear loadout for every characters should have been in the game. Only one Item per character is far too litte for my taste.

Top Bottom