• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

PK Gaming

Alm is certainly cookie cutter, but definitely not generic.

aPiSMIt.png

He's got this awkward and affable nature that really shines through the dialogue. They basically took the "genuinely good kid + doesn't want conflict" aspect of Corrin's character and did it right this time. Alm holds no malice towards the Rigelians and doesn't take any pleasure in battle. But instead of offering empty platitudes like Corrin, he actively tries to bring a peaceful resolution to the conflict. If not, he'll kill in order to make a difference, but not cry about it. Alm's got the trappings of a typical shonen hero, but in execution he's a bit different.

Usually when a warrior type character is described as gentle, it feels incredibly disingenuous, but you just feel it with Alm (with text and VA that reinforces the fuck out of it.). You just know that outside of battle he's actually the sweetest person around. The main issue with Alm imo, is that that his side of the FE: Echoes is just so straightforward and generic, his character suffers as a result. He becomes the leader of the Deliverance far too quickly, and he leads it nearly effortlessly. A theme that's clearly set up (your station is irrelevant) ends up being contradicted in the latter half
as Alm ends up being Rigel's son and also the chosen one who will save the world.
He doesn't go through many great plot beats either, which is disappointing since he's an enjoyable character. The only one that really stands out is
when he weeps after being manipulated into commiting patricide, and when he cries after Berkut dies. They actually bring up an interesting aspect of his character (his loneliness), but it's brought literally at the very end, instead of being properly set up.

So yeah, Alm was a good character who deserved better.

PS: FE:A Alm is bad, lol

Lmao you dont even have to grind that much to get the dracoshield. Tobin on my second savefile is so broken that he actually melted daesix with his insane attack stat. Everyone else could only do chip damage

What is your Tobin?

I had to beat him with just chip (and the occasional 3 dmg crits). I'm wondering what else I could've been doing other than grinding.

aPiSMIt.png

He's got this awkward and affable nature that really shines through the dialogue. They basically took the "genuinely good kid + doesn't want conflict" aspect of Corrin's character and did it right this time. Alm holds no malice towards the Rigelians and doesn't take any pleasure in battle. But instead of offering empty platitudes like Corrin, he actively tries to bring a peaceful resolution to the conflict. If not, he'll kill in order to make a difference, but not cry about it. Alm's got the trappings of a typical shonen hero, but in execution he's a bit different.

Usually when a warrior type character is described as gentle, it feels incredibly disingenuous, but you just feel it with Alm (with text and VA that reinforces the fuck out of it.). You just know that outside of battle he's actually the sweetest person around. The main issue with Alm imo, is that that his side of the FE: Echoes is just so straightforward and generic, his character suffers as a result. He becomes the leader of the Deliverance far too quickly, and he leads it nearly effortlessly. A theme that's clearly set up (your station is irrelevant) ends up being contradicted in the latter half
as Alm ends up being Rigel's son and also the chosen one who will save the world.
He doesn't go through many great plot beats either, which is disappointing since he's an enjoyable character. The only one that really stands out is
when he weeps after being manipulated into commiting patricide, and when he cries after Berkut dies. They actually bring up an interesting aspect of his character (his loneliness), but it's brought literally at the very end, instead of being properly set up.

What happen to the Celica Avatar?

OuterLimits

So what is the difference between Hard and Normal? I have started games on both and the only thing I notice so far is that hard has one or two extra enemy units. Damage received and experience gained seems similar. Amazingly, the game was giving me more critical hits on my hard difficulty game.

Granted, I'm super early in the game where both difficulty levels are rather easy.

I love the character responses when you get a terrible level up. It matches my frustration quite well.

Kind of curious about the DLC. It's pricey though. The one that takes place before Alm is in the picture sounds interesting. Not sure it's over $10 interesting though.

Xenoflare

So what is the difference between Hard and Normal? I have started two different games on both and the only thing I notice so far is that hard has one or two extra enemy units. Damage received and experience gained seems similar. Amazingly, the game was giving me more critical hits on my hard difficulty game.

Granted, I'm super early in the game where both difficulty levels are rather easy.

The game starts to ramp up later on. Act 3 onwards.

Overall though I find hard gave me the same frustrations on par with Conquest Normal, I am not saying the two games are the same, but in terms of challenge I felt it's around the same ballpark.

I'm not sure if I want Lunging ninjas or cantors.

Anura

So what is the difference between Hard and Normal? I have started games on both and the only thing I notice so far is that hard has one or two extra enemy units. Damage received and experience gained seems similar. Amazingly, the game was giving me more critical hits on my hard difficulty game.

I love the character responses when you get a terrible level up. It matches my frustration quite well.

This game has some serious pacing issues and hard just seems to amplify that immensely. Late game chapters are just a slog. I haven't played it on normal but I imagine it would significantly decrease the tedium. Regardless, the game won't be challenging either way. Retreat and the turn wheel are both absolutely broken and kill all challenge that could be found. And even if you manage to avoid those options, a quick invoke cast will make any intense situation meaningless.

My God
Grieths
citadel was one of the worst maps I have ever played, so damn annoying ridiculous archers and 6 summons every couple of turns made that map take over an hour and half.
My Saber pretty much solo'd that map. I promoted him into a Dread Fighter before that map and he just tore through the halls full of Terrors and soldiers and I killed the summoner guy before I even went for the boss. I used Leon and Archer Atlas to take out the archers and the mages tho

this isn't quite universally true but it's close enough it will make you a better Fire Emblem player: armor knights are always bad

Actually good (good means (upper) mid tier) armors across the entire series:

Gaiden Lukas, Oswin, Radiant Dawn Gatrie, Conquest Effie, there are a few others (i.e. RD Tauroneo) that can also contribute in a pinch.

It's a small list, even sadder than archers tbh

Anyone else think that archers should be able to hit adjacent targets in the next FE game?

I kind of like it. Even if they only hit for half damage or something I still think it would be cool.

Xenoflare

Anyone else think that archers should be able to hit adjacent targets in the next FE game?

I kind of like it. Even if they only hit for half damage or something I still think it would be cool.

I'd like that, half damage seems reasonable.

Or it could keep the 1-2 range and reduce the bonus to fliers, the massive range of archers in this game is very likely to offset the gigantic maps of nothingness, and sniping
arcanists

*Celica being a snake*[sic]

She managed to pull that off but cannot see through Jedah's ever so earnest request.

Golnei

A blonde man talking to an eyepatched mercenary about a country for soldiers seems very Peace Walker.

I don't think Genny is secretly a deep cover mole for the Duma Faithful, though. And I may have missed an instance or three of intimate relations conducted under cover of cardboard box.

ChrisD

I read the comic in Saber's voice, and it made it so much better lol!

He's still trucking with it in my file, though. Chapter 3 and continuing. :p

redcrayon

Actually good (good means (upper) mid tier) armors across the entire series:

Gaiden Lukas, Oswin, Radiant Dawn Gatrie, Conquest Effie, there are a few others (i.e. RD Tauroneo) that can also contribute in a pinch.

It's a small list, even sadder than archers tbh
Garcia in Sacred Stones is also pretty solid throughout as far as I remember.

Armour units really suffer from a mix of low speed (get hit twice), low movement (struggle to keep up and so gain xp, can't choose favourable battles as easily) and vulnerability to magic (also see previous point). Their niche is choke points, but there aren't really enough defensive battles to really make it worth choose them over more offensive options Paladins and mercs/heroes/soldiers etc for me. A few less points of defence (but still pretty hardy) but generally better res, speed, movement etc.

So regarding characters in-battle. When
Palla
was an NPC she was saying something like "big sisters do it best" all the time but now that I've recruited her she only seems to say "I have discharged my duty".

Giving a boss a spell that affects EVERY unit is bad game design IS and you should feel bad.
Sacred Stones did that first...
well not that 99% of players didn't kill the Demon King before it could use nightmare (which was an AoE sleep spell).

I suppose the player had AoE before that in FE1 and 3 (
Geosphere and silence staff
, respectively)

You get more renown for being in hard...if you care about the leaderboards.

It's get even better than that (forging)
if you upgrade it into the Celica exclusive weapon; Beloved Zofia

Golnei

So regarding characters in-battle. When
Palla
was an NPC she was saying something like "big sisters do it best" all the time but now that I've recruited her she only seems to say "I have discharged my duty".

She still has that line as a playable unit - it's the only one I seem to hear from her.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Hm, I'm wondering how to upgrade Atlas. I feel on Celica's path I have a little of everything but cavaliers. Is it a good choice for him?

Golnei

As you'll get a better cavalier later on in Celica's route, Atlas might be more usable as an archer; since you already have so many other mercenaries and mages.

nubbe

Beat the game after 30 hours
Having the last area be a big dungeon makes this the best FE by default.

and I loved the ending...
what you achieved was pointless becauses the world is terrible and everything will go to hell.
lol

Made my Atlas a Mercenary. Even with his awful Spd growths, he'll still double 80% of enemies thanks to Merc base Spd, in turn making use of his high Atk. His Spd is otherwise really awful. Like, gets doubled by zombies awful. >.>

A popular suggestion I've seen for Atlas is to take him through the entire Merc line back to Villager, then make him an Archer. That's what I'm planning for him anyway.

You could probably go straight to Archer too, but I want to optimize him as much as possible.

Chase17

Beat the game after 30 hours
Having the last area be a big dungeon makes this the best FE by default.

and I loved the ending...
what you achieved was pointless becauses the world is terrible and everything will go to hell.
lol
Yeah, I had to do a double check because the narration was so negative and it threw me off lol

suzu

A popular suggestion I've seen for Atlas is to take him through the entire Merc line back to Villager, then make him an Archer. That's what I'm planning for him anyway.

You could probably go straight to Archer too, but I want to optimize him as much as possible.

I also made Atlas the most burliest archer in Valentia, since Celica only gets one on her route. Just make sure to forge a Killer Bow for him, cuz he can't hit anything with his low skill stat.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

aPiSMIt.png

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't feel like rising up beyond your station was ever a theme though. Alm was supposedly the grandson of a very famous knight and that's why they chose him to begin with. The branded children are also set up to be extremely special from the very beginning.

Garcia in Sacred Stones is also pretty solid throughout as far as I remember.

Armour units really suffer from a mix of low speed (get hit twice), low movement (struggle to keep up and so gain xp, can't choose favourable battles as easily) and vulnerability to magic (also see previous point). Their niche is choke points, but there aren't really enough defensive battles to really make it worth choose them over more offensive options Paladins and mercs/heroes/soldiers etc for me. A few less points of defence (but still pretty hardy) but generally better res, speed, movement etc.

Garcia isn't even an armor what

Okay, so I found the Resistance and Experience fountains with Celica, should I use these immediately? Are they tied to each other like the other ones are? Either way, any suggestions on how to use them?

Dee Dee

So when one of the heroes gets killed on the final map it's straight up Game Over, no time wheel shenanigans, nada.

putting-gun-to-head.gif

I had to put the 3DS down, still not keen on starting this fight over from the beginning (
I had Celica wiped by Duma after having the map cleared completely
)...

The map took forever since I insisted to bring all those useless Mercenaries I never used because they actually have some supports I hadn't read. No. Why. What a map.

Erheller

Okay, so I found the Resistance and Experience fountains with Celica, should I use these immediately? Are they tied to each other like the other ones are? Either way, any suggestions on how to use them?

1) Use all fountains immediately (except in the rare occasion where you're going to promote a unit *very* soon and you know that the stat is going to get overwritten by the promotion anyways)

2) I think fountains are only tied if they are directly next to each other. Either way, Exp fountains are never linked AFAIK

3) I usually stick Res on a unit who you want to be a Res tank. Give experience to units who you a) use frequently and b) are close to a promotion. The idea is to get the promotion as fast as possible for those extra stats.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kind of a nitpick, but I wish the UI on Alm's side was green while Celica's kept the red. They're very clearly color coded characters, and seeing the red UI on Alm's side annoyed me a little bit

So when one of the heroes gets killed on the final map it's straight up Game Over, no time wheel shenanigans, nada.

putting-gun-to-head.gif

I had to put the 3DS down, still not keen on starting this fight over from the beginning (
I had Celica wiped by Duma after having the map cleared completely
)...

The map took forever since I insisted to bring all those useless Mercenaries I never used because they actually have some supports I hadn't read. No. Why. What a map.
Have someone use invoke near Duma, put Alm next to him and Falchion him to death while Celica or someone else keeps him healed. He'll only go for the ghosts you've summoned.

I awfully regret not making Faye as cleric. Especially (spoiler for act 4 map)
after seeing Nuibaba's map, haven't played it yet but without physic this map will be hard to take down.

RRockman

Banned
I awfully regret not making Faye as cleric. Especially (spoiler for act 4 map)
after seeing Nuibaba's map, haven't played it yet but without physic this map will be hard to take down.

Dude you won't be able to experience the joys of double lion sniping! One of the best things about this game.

NeonZ

FE:A Alm seemed to be like that mostly to set up Valm and Walhart, I guess.

Thinking about it now though, Celica really needed someone like FE:A Alm in order to work as a protagonist. As things stand, she's flawed and misguided while Alm is balanced and level headed from the beginning to the ending. If they were actual opposites and each one had to compromise, there wouldn't be this sense of Celica being just support by the end.

Taruranto

Yeah, the game's opening make it looks like both Duma (Alm) and Mila (Celica) have a point, but in the actual story Alm is right and Celica is a moron.

I'm on chapter 3 and really enjoying this game. The better story and full VA really helps. It's also different enough that it feels like a fresh take on the series when compared to the last few that have released. Also I like both protagonists.

Got myself into trouble earlier by letting two wandering armies combine while Alm & co were camping in a village. The armies just sat there so I had to fight my way out through both of them simultaneously. It was very difficult but rewarding when I succeeded. Also my Lukas is a fucking beast. I don't know if I got lucky with the RNG or what but he has unusually high resistance and just slaughters spell casters. It feels so weird to send an Armor Knight into a battle with spell casters but he just tanks their hits and then wrecks them on. A Physic from far off and he can just dismantle whole armies. I have to be careful not to feed him too much lol.

Top Bottom