• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Chris R

Can I grill under a carport? Just ordered a grill today and I'm wondering where to set it up at. I have an attached carport just outside my front door with some decent space and level asphalt but I guess I could set something up on the front or back lawn if I had to with some paving stones.

Hmmmm, my grill is looking really rusty =/

Might be time to buy a new one but not sure which brands are good, currently have a Kenmore

I'm in Canada, we have lots of brands I've never heard of but most of them look the exact same as the brands I have heard of

I guess this time I'd want stainless steel burners and cast iron cooking grates

DJ_Lae

For the past few years all my grilling has been done on a little Weber Q due to charcoal restrictions at our apartment.

Now that we're in a duplex, however, I can finally do some proper grilling and smoking. A Big Green Egg would be fantastic but really I can't justify that cost.

Would something like this King-Griller be a decent alternative? It's far, far cheaper and seems to have pretty decent reviews on Amazon.

andycapps

How did your chicken turn out?
Turned out pretty well. I agree with Meathead, the skin doesn't turn out crisp unless you throw it under a broiler or on a hot grill for a while. So it turned out pretty well, but I'm going to do his Simon and Garfunkel rub next time on a chicken without the skin.

CrankyJay

Banned
Turned out pretty well. I agree with Meathead, the skin doesn't turn out crisp unless you throw it under a broiler or on a hot grill for a while. So it turned out pretty well, but I'm going to do his Simon and Garfunkel rub next time on a chicken without the skin.

Yeah I warned you about that...350 is the absolute minimum you need for crispy skin until you do some "post processing"...lol

andycapps

Yeah I warned you about that...350 is the absolute minimum you need for crispy skin until you do some "post processing"...lol
Right, the problem was once it was done it was 11:30 at night and I had to be at work at 7:30 so I was just trying to get it to finish.

Also learned that lesson of maybe not doing this during the week when I'm in a hurry. The smoker is great though, and the Maverick thermometer set I got is awesome. Don't have to do anything during these cooks unless it goes outside of my range I setup. So the other day I was able to workout and do other stuff while it was going.

I'll be doing that other chicken recipe on Saturday or Sunday for my mother in laws birthday.

andycapps

Round two. Two chickens, skinned, took out spine and keel bone, and used Simon and Garfunkel rub. This is when they went on the smoker. Finished pictures soon.

wsvq7eJl.jpg

So I just got my first grill, and after using it I'm not sure what to do with my left over charcoal/ash.

What do I do with it? Can I just throw it in the grass for fertilizer?

CrankyJay

Banned
So I just got my first grill, and after using it I'm not sure what to do with my left over charcoal/ash.

What do I do with it? Can I just throw it in the grass for fertilizer?

Depends, are you using lump charcoal made from real wood or the briquettes? I'd consider it with lump charcoal but never with a briquette. Personally I'd let them cool a few days to make sure they're extinguished and then just bag and toss them (just to be extra safe, always keep these bags outside the house). Or you can toss them in a metal garbage can or something.

CrankyJay

Banned
Got two 8lb butts going as of 5am this morning. This is my first time ever leaving the fat caps on. I scored them and rubbed in my spice. Just experimenting.

RyanDG

The fact that my condo bans both propane and charcoal grills makes me a sad person. It means that my grill is sitting in my garage and will not be able to be used unless I decide to drag it with me on my trailer out to the park or something.

I've been considering an electric grill as an alternative, but it just seems wrong.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Hey guys, whats the best lump charcoal?

I want to order it from amazon.

It will cost a lot to order charcoal from Amazon.

The best charcoal I have managed to get my hands on is Wicked Good. Ace has started to carry it.
The second best is Royal Oak. Carried by Wal-Mart.

www.nakedwhiz.com is a very famous site for reviewing lump Charcoal.

CrankyJay

Banned
Let's see the pictures!

I'll have to upload them tonight...they're on my Nikon.

I only got pics on the smoker of the bark after it was set...had extended family over so things got a bit busy.

I ended up smoking a tray of baked beans with bacon on top and some leftover italian sausages I had...amazing the red color they turn and how juicy the sausages are. I served those as an appetizer.

CrankyJay

Banned
You can spray it with Easy Off and then hose it down.

You know what, don't do this...Easy Off can says not to use on outside or inside of grill. Wonder if it leads to premature rusting.

The can does say you can use it on the grill grates tho. Obviously take those off.

It will cost a lot to order charcoal from Amazon.

The best charcoal I have managed to get my hands on is Wicked Good. Ace has started to carry it.
The second best is Royal Oak. Carried by Wal-Mart.

www.nakedwhiz.com is a very famous site for reviewing lump Charcoal.

Most definitely Wicked Good, I've tried many brands but none hold a candle to Wicked Good. Some give off weird flavors, don't burn right, not high enough temperatures, too much ash, etc, but Wicked Good has always been amazing. I get it at Ace.

I had no idea this thread existed. I've had a Big Green Egg that I inherited for about 12 years now, it's probably 25 years old. Mine's so old it has the original iron grating I see that all the new ones have stainless steel for the lower vent.

Anyway, I'm a big baby back ribs fan so I've been messing around with recipes forever. I've tried a lot of methods and am still after all these years split between the 3-2-1 method and the straight indirect method with apple cider vinegar spray etc. They both produce great results but I'm still toying with slight changes here and there.

Since it's raining like crazy here in Atlanta this weekend I'm not going to get to try the new rub I just bought for ribs but maybe next weekend. I will cook in the rain sometimes but not when it's raining as hard as it is today.

Milchjon

surely you can buy a weber?

Yeah, sure. If I had the money... ;-)

It was more of a general statement. This pulled pork will only be the second time in my life I've had it (the other being at a pub in the US) since the concept of low and slow is just not really known/understood here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah, sure. If I had the money... ;-)

It was more of a general statement. This pulled pork will only be the second time in my life I've had it (the other being at a pub in the US) since the concept of low and slow is just not really known/understood here.

My man...if you can scrap together some money and show your European brethren how it's done, you'll be a goddamn hero.

Stay away from adding nitrites to your bacon. They use it commercially, but its not good for you and a huge benefit to curing your own. I love my smoker!!!!

-PXG-

Why the HELL is this thread only four pages? Utter disgrace.

My dad makes the best ribs in all of NJ. Holy shit. We on dat based St. Louis cut.

Milchjon

Sorry for keeping this thread slightly offtopic, but I wanted to give an update on my pork:

It turned out heavenly. Maybe slightly dry in some places, but for a first attempt...
Not sure I ever want to eat anything else again ;-)

Feel free to critique!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I took my latest batch of pepper bacon out of its cure yesterday and will be smoking it over cherry wood today.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sorry for keeping this thread slightly offtopic, but I wanted to give an update on my pork:

It turned out heavenly. Maybe slightly dry in some places, but for a first attempt...
Not sure I ever want to eat anything else again ;-)

Feel free to critique!

What temp did you remove it from the oven?

CrankyJay

Banned
Here are my butts from last week...wish I got pulled shots but I got busy with company over.

Used a mix of cherry and hickory...used mostly cherry. Maybe 3-4 chunks and 2 chunks of hickory.

I also smoked some beans with bacon on top, and some italian sausages...the sausages were the fucking bomb. They came out perfect...snappy and juicy, took in my cherry wood just perfectly.

This was my first time ever leaving the fat cap on...I just wanted to see if there was a difference leaving it on. So I scored the fat down to the meat in one inch chunks. I really didn't notice a difference so I will continue to cut off the fat cap so I can get more surface area for bark.

Two 8 pounders.

BXXNx5Z.jpg

83OjDG2.jpg

Milchjon

What temp did you remove it from the oven?

I don't have a thermometer ;-) Something I'll take care of as soon as possible. The oven was at about 240 Fahrenheit, I guess.

But it's still moist enough. I used almost no sauce because it was so good.

Edit:

Good gosh, that's something else entirely :lol

CrankyJay

Banned
I don't have a thermometer ;-) Something I'll take care of as soon as possible. The oven was at about 240 Fahrenheit, I guess.

But it's still moist enough. I used almost no sauce because it was so good.

Edit:

Good gosh, that's something else entirely :lol

Well, you technically don't need a thermometer. As long as you can stick a knife thru it like hot butter without any resistance it should be ready to go.

Milchjon

Well, you technically don't need a thermometer. As long as you can stick a knife thru it like hot butter without any resistance it should be ready to go.

I used the back of a fork. Went through easily.

But now I'm ashamed and jealous of that bark.

FStop7

Banned
Thank to this thread I picked up an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain today. I've got a pork butt, some chicken quarters, and a tri tip roast.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to do the butt (what what) and the chicken.

mcfrank

Not what I call BBQ, but others do...burgers tonight:

That's right, I use GAS and CHARCOAL!

xk9iTBU.jpg

oI2evbV.jpg

Ngzbyhl.jpg

Looks good, but like you said, not BBQ. For those that confuse the two, high direct heat (burgers, hot dogs, etc) is grilling. Low temperature indirect heat for a long time is BBQ (brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc).

Top Bottom