• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

That's awesome. I remember her, wasn't she the one from Canada? I haven't worked up to doing brisket yet, I need to do a few more runs in my WSM and familiarize myself with it more. For some reason, brisket is intimidating to me. Seems much less forgiving than pork.

Yes, from Canada. She is a great person, walked through the site at 6am wishing everyone luck as people were gearing up for Ribs and Chicken cooking & turn-ins.

Brisket is a tough one to master, still working on it ....I agree.

You are right in thinking to give yourself a bit more time to learn your pit, and practicing on Ribs/Pork until confident. Brisket isn't cheap either - sucks to cook a $30-$50 piece of meat only to have it end up in a pot of chili (although bad brisket makes some DAMN fine chili!)

But one day you will have to take the plunge, just keep an eye on it when cooking and start testing for "probe tenderness" (a probe should go through the thickest part of the brisket flat "like buttah") at around 190F. Some briskets will be done sooner or later, I use temp as a guide, and the probe tenderness to let me know when it's finished cooking.

Go see if you can get a USDA Select brisket somewhere...they exist. Shouldn't be more than $16-20.

I try to avoid Select if I can, as it is the lowest grade in stores and has less fat/marbling.

I recommend Choice grade or CAB (Angus Choice) Briskets

I run waterless for easier clean up, I wrap a 18" terra-cotta saucer with foil and use it inside the pan then wrap ALL of it again in foil.

I find the water really doesn't add any moisture, and others have confirmed this on the BBQ forums.

The saucer acts as a heatsink (which is what the water is doing) and after each cook I remove/replace the top layer of foil with a fresh sheet....just ball the foil up with the grease and throw it away - easy peasy!

CrankyJay

Banned
I try to avoid Select if I can, as it is the lowest grade in stores and has less fat/marbling.

I recommend Choice grade or CAB (Angus Choice) Briskets

True, but for cheap you can still get a feel for a brisket.

I've only ever done two briskets...one high heat method and one low and slow. I can't remember which one turned out better, but I need to re-tackle that this summer.

My next projects are a bacon explosion and a mesquite smoked leg of lamb.

CrankyJay

Banned
I find the water really doesn't add any moisture, and others have confirmed this on the BBQ forums.

The saucer acts as a heatsink (which is what the water is doing) and after each cook I remove/replace the top layer of foil with a fresh sheet....just ball the foil up with the grease and throw it away - easy peasy!

I just use the water for heatsink..I should try this saucering.

I wrap my waterbowl too...it's still messy. lol

I need more local friends who are into this stuff. =(

True, but for cheap you can still get a feel for a brisket.

I've only ever done two briskets...one high heat method and one low and slow. I can't remember which one turned out better, but I need to re-tackle that this summer.

My next projects are a bacon explosion and a mesquite smoked leg of lamb.

Yes Jay, you are correct. A select would be a good way to go for your first couple of briskets in case you mess it up then you are not out so much $$$ for chili meat ;)

Here is a cool GIF showing the steps for the terra cotta heatsink I just found

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/johnrhana/media/6df8a022.pbw.html#/user/johnrhana/media/6df8a022.pbw.html?&_suid=136803403387706571461985989192

andycapps

Yes, from Canada. She is a great person, walked through the site at 6am wishing everyone luck as people were gearing up for Ribs and Chicken cooking & turn-ins.

Brisket is a tough one to master, still working on it ....I agree.

You are right in thinking to give yourself a bit more time to learn your pit, and practicing on Ribs/Pork until confident. Brisket isn't cheap either - sucks to cook a $30-$50 piece of meat only to have it end up in a pot of chili (although bad brisket makes some DAMN fine chili!)

But one day you will have to take the plunge, just keep an eye on it when cooking and start testing for "probe tenderness" (a probe should go through the thickest part of the brisket flat "like buttah") at around 190F. Some briskets will be done sooner or later, I use temp as a guide, and the probe tenderness to let me know when it's finished cooking.

That's cool, she seems nice. It's hard with me being from the south to give somebody from Canada a chance with BBQ, but if they can make it well then more power to them. Heck, Harry Sou (sp?) is obviously not from the US and is a west coast guy, and he's supposed to be one of the best. One thing I've noticed on those shows is that most judges seem to prefer a really sweet sauce, which isn't for me. If I ever did competitions, I probably wouldn't like my own BBQ if I made it how they seem to enjoy it.

I just use the water for heatsink..I should try this saucering.

I wrap my waterbowl too...it's still messy. lol

I need more local friends who are into this stuff. =(

I don't have any friends here in Ohio that are into it. There are BBQ places, but it's not the cultural touchstone it is in Georgia where I'm from.

DJ_Lae

For someone starting out (with charcoal of any kind) would you recommend a smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain over a kamado style cooker?

These are the two I've been keeping an eye on for this summer:

Weber Smokey Mountain

King-Griller Kamado

I figured with the latter I could also charcoal grill if I wanted (I currently only have a little propane grill).

CrankyJay

Banned
For someone starting out (with charcoal of any kind) would you recommend a smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain over a kamado style cooker?

These are the two I've been keeping an eye on for this summer:

Weber Smokey Mountain

King-Griller Kamado

I figured with the latter I could also charcoal grill if I wanted (I currently only have a little propane grill).

The WSM can be found for cheaper on Amazon...it usually retails at $299 but I lucked out on Amazon a few summers ago and got it for $250.

I don't have any friends here in Ohio that are into it. There are BBQ places, but it's not the cultural touchstone it is in Georgia where I'm from.

You do now ;)

There are 4 comps in Ohio this year - West Chester, Kettering, Xenia and Nelsonville Ohio.

I personally agree with you AndyCapps, the food I cook in Competition is not necessarily the food I would cook at home for myself, family & friends.

You are trying to WOW the judges with one bite, so the flavors are amped up and cater to what the judges are looking for. Many BBQ teams would agree with me.

CrankyJay

Banned
I want to make Asian flavored pulled pork and ribs...

Or hell, Latin flavors...

I've gotten really sick of pulled pork sandwiches so lately I've been eating them on tortillas.

andycapps

You do now ;)

There are 4 comps in Ohio this year - West Chester, Kettering, Xenia and Nelsonville Ohio.

I personally agree with you AndyCapps, the food I cook in Competition is not necessarily the food I would cook at home for myself, family & friends.

You are trying to WOW the judges with one bite, so the flavors are amped up and cater to what the judges are looking for. Many BBQ teams would agree with me.

Oh you're from Ohio? Cool. I think I lean a little more towards the Memphis type of ribs, but for sauces I prefer a more vinegar and mustard based sauce with a little tomato paste as well. Essentially a Georgia BBQ sauce. Lately I haven't even been messing with sauce because I don't think it should need it other than for a little bit of moisture. But you're right, judges need all of that flavor in one bite so I'm sure it has to be more intense than a plate full of BBQ.

When I get to brisket I'm not sure if a mustard/vinegar based sauce would work on that. That's more for pork. I'll have to read up on some Texas type brisket sauce.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oh you're from Ohio? Cool. I think I lean a little more towards the Memphis type of ribs, but for sauces I prefer a more vinegar and mustard based sauce with a little tomato paste as well. Essentially a Georgia BBQ sauce. Lately I haven't even been messing with sauce because I don't think it should need it other than for a little bit of moisture. But you're right, judges need all of that flavor in one bite so I'm sure it has to be more intense than a plate full of BBQ.

When I get to brisket I'm not sure if a mustard/vinegar based sauce would work on that. That's more for pork. I'll have to read up on some Texas type brisket sauce.

I occasionally make this mustard sauce when making pulled pork...my friends love it. I leave out the liquid smoke because there's plenty in the meat, and I like to experiment with different beers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-carolina-bbq-meat-sauce/

1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup beer
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, or to taste

DJ_Lae

The WSM can be found for cheaper on Amazon...it usually retails at $299 but I lucked out on Amazon a few summers ago and got it for $250.

Its availability is weird in Canada - Amazon resellers up here are asking $380 for the 18.5" and $480 for the bigger one...plus god knows how much for shipping.

I have been dying for pulled pork the last few days and want to make some. Unfortunately I do not have a smoker. Anyone know any good crock pot pulled pork recipes?

CrankyJay

Banned
I have been dying for pulled pork the last few days and want to make some. Unfortunately I do not have a smoker. Anyone know any good crock pot pulled pork recipes?

Honestly, when I used to do crock pot pulled pork I just got a packet of this stuff and let it go overnight...it was pretty damn good:

bbq+pulled+pork+seasoning.ashx.jpg

Basically just mix that packet with ketchup and brown sugar, pour it over the shoulder, and slow cook it for 8-10 hours.

andycapps

I've done it quite a few times and while it's not the same, I'd just get some Sweet Baby Rays or KC Masterpiece original and rub down a pork butt with about half a bottle of that. Rub in a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke, then cook it fat side up. Or you can trim the fat off before you cook if you want. Otherwise you'll want to get all of that off at the end. Of course, use a little salt on the outside. I usually do kosher salt for BBQ stuff.

I've done it quite a few times and while it's not the same, I'd just get some Sweet Baby Rays or KC Masterpiece original and rub down a pork butt with about half a bottle of that. Rub in a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke, then cook it fat side up. Or you can trim the fat off before you cook if you want. Otherwise you'll want to get all of that off at the end. Of course, use a little salt on the outside. I usually do kosher salt for BBQ stuff.

I have a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays at home. I'll probably use that. I also hear using root beer with it makes it taste even better, so I was keeping that in mind as well. I'll probably do a basic spice rub with paprika/salt/pepper/mustard/onion/garlic and dump in some vinegar, root beer, and sweet baby rays and let it sit for like six hours or so.

DJ_Lae

I made this one last time and it turned out quite good. I skipped the green onions and added an extra little bit of cider vinegar, though.

Also topping it with a nice coleslaw helped too. I don't follow a recipe for that but I'd guess maybe 2 parts mayo, 2 parts sour cream, 1 part dijon, some lemon juice, and sugar and salt and pepper to taste.

andycapps

I have a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays at home. I'll probably use that. I also hear using root beer with it makes it taste even better, so I was keeping that in mind as well. I'll probably do a basic spice rub with paprika/salt/pepper/mustard/onion/garlic and dump in some vinegar, root beer, and sweet baby rays and let it sit for like six hours or so.

There you go, I'm sure that'll be good. If I were you I'd go about 8-10 hours on low. Just start it at bedtime and it's good to go in the morning. Warning is that your house is going to smell delicious and you'll probably be unable to resist eating just a little.

I occasionally make this mustard sauce when making pulled pork...my friends love it.

Here is another good Mustard Sauce that I like to use on Pulled Pork sammies!

"Roxy's Mustard Sauce"

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced (I personally run mine through a Cheese Grater)
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes

CrankyJay

Banned
Here is another good Mustard Sauce that I like to use on Pulled Pork sammies!

"Roxy's Mustard Sauce"

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced (I personally run mine through a Cheese Grater)
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes

ooh, will try

ShinAmano

How often are you turning the meat?
15 hours seems an incredible amount of time to be hanging around a BBQ. I admire your dedication to delicious meat.
Lol...not once for pulled pork...just make sure the temp holds and go from there. I am making some this weekend...ill take pics and time stamp the process. :)

Ferrio

Banned
Attempting to make beef jerky again this weekend. Tried a couple weeks ago for the first time, and the meat was undermarinated and over smoked. Going to retry, marinating the meat for longer in a stronger marinade, and going to tone down the amount of wood I'll use.

Ok GAF, baby backs are on the BGE at 220°, hopefully in a little less than five hours we'll have perfection.

Beer and cooking baby backs, doesn't get much better than this!

The only smoking like dish I've done in the crock pot is Kalua pig but it comes out amazing, it's only three ingredients, 6 lb pork butt, Hawaiian sea salt (bought the red one from Whole Foods, expensive but makes a difference IMO) and liquid smoke. Takes about 20 hours.

How'd we do?
Well, I had to go an extra hour and a half, the publix ribs always seem to take longer but they turned out great. It was raining once again this weekend in Atlanta so I had to skip the pictures.

I also think I need to recalibrate the thermometer on the egg, I don't trust the current readings.

3am tonight I will start up the brisket I bought earlier today. I have it wrapped with a dry rub of different spices and I have added some garlic into the fat as well. Later on tomorrow I have a couple of pork tenderloins ready to go as well. I will post pics later.

Billen

Banned
EU GAF Sweden detail reporting in. What can we do to help spread the meaty gospel? Where do we find proper bbq gear? I am tired of rebuilding my Weber gas grill to bbq stuff.

Ugh, I got a late start this morning on the brisket, but it is in the smoker and ready to go. It'll still be ready for everyone when they show up later today at least.

Ugh, I got a late start this morning on the brisket, but it is in the smoker and ready to go. It'll still be ready for everyone when they show up later today at least.
This is one of the reasons I've yet to do a brisket or anything that requires overnight or incredibly early morning commitment, but I really need to start at some point.

CrankyJay

Banned
This is one of the reasons I've yet to do a brisket or anything that requires overnight or incredibly early morning commitment, but I really need to start at some point.

This is why I start earlier than when expected guests arrive. If the meat gets done early you can wrap it in foil and hold it in a cooler lined with newspapers or towels for up to 4 hours.

The meat will actually tenderize a bit more from rest and soften up the bark. I prefer it this way.

This is why I start earlier than when expected guests arrive. If the meat gets done early you can wrap it in foil and hold it in a cooler lined with newspapers or towels for up to 4 hours.

The meat will actually tenderize a bit more from rest and soften up the bark. I prefer it this way.

Exactly. I love waking up early usually, but I also had to drive up to Austin for a birthday party last night, and I didn't get home until 1. I had planned on at least getting a couple hours sleep, then waking up and getting started, but I slept through my alarm.

Everything is going well so far though, I'm setting up some more coals and wood for extra smoke, and I just applied another mop <yes I know people have different opinions of mops, I prefer to use it>.

It becomes this awesome early morning ritual, from the prep to just enjoying watching the sun come up. Nothing more satisfying than getting an awesome piece of meat ready to slow cook and ready to be enjoyed by friends and family :)

ShinAmano

So I promised pics...sorry no clue how to make GAF show the pics...but enjoy the linked images.

21lbs of pork...rubbed and injected sitting on a fresh bed of lump and soaked apple chips.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8730961095/

Some smoke:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732083040/

15 hours later:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8730960769/

Pulled:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732082794/

Up Close:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732082610/

So I promised pics...sorry no clue how to make GAF show the pics...but enjoy the linked images.

21lbs of pork...rubbed and injected sitting on a fresh bed of lump and soaked apple chips.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8730961095/

Some smoke:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732083040/

15 hours later:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8730960769/

Pulled:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732082794/

Up Close:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732082610/
Amazing

MooseKing

Banned
I have never BBQ'd in my life. Only grilled.

I have been told the following which has discourged me from doing it.

* It's messy as hell and takes forever to clean

* No way to adjust heat, so you are essentially standing there and cooking for 9 hours.

* Requires constant attention and work just to make a simple dinner.

Say it aint so GAF.

CrankyJay

Banned

* No way to adjust heat, so you are essentially standing there and cooking for 9 hours.

Say it aint so GAF.

1. Not really...it's not that messy if you do some prior prep work.

2. Bullshit...a good smoker will hold temps incredibly stable, and there are wireless thermometers with alarms on them that will alert you if you need to adjust temps. You don't have to stand in front of your smoker all day.

As long as you're not getting wild fluctuations in temperature you're fine cooking in a range.

3. See #2.

ShinAmano

Say it aint so GAF.

See my post above...I smoked 21lbs for 15hrs...after the initial set up (30-45 minutes) I dd not touch or look at the smoker until 15 hours later.

andycapps

EU GAF Sweden detail reporting in. What can we do to help spread the meaty gospel? Where do we find proper bbq gear? I am tired of rebuilding my Weber gas grill to bbq stuff.

Sounds like you need a proper smoker. I suggest the Weber Smokey Mountain if you can find it there. I don't know where you normally buy from Amazon, but I'm assuming either from England or Germany. Looks like it's pretty expensive over there, and everything will likely cost more than it costs us. This seems to be a German listing for the WSM.

You could also check Weber's Swedish site and see if there are buying locations on there.

Ridli

Alright guys...what should I smoke this weekend?

Ribs...Brisket or something else?

I'll answer ribs 90% of the time. It's just so satisfying when you start saucing them.

Just to add on here, even when you aren't using a fancy dedicated smoker (I smoke ribs on a regular charcoal grill) there are plenty of ways to regulate heat.

One of the best things you can do as a novice though is get a good digital thermometer. After one session smoking with a good thermometer you will learn incredible amounts of information on how your temps change with any adjustment you make. And by the second and third times you'll easily know how to set and maintain stable temps.

Say it aint so GAF.

Heat control is the way to being a Jedi BBQ Lord, it's ALL about heat control. Vents, fuel amounts, types, placement, weather effects, it all comes from experience and knowledge, and is a large part of the satisfaction of pulling off a perfect Brisket or Ribs. Sure, it's messy, but not after practice, and yes, it needs constant attention, but you're not just sitting and staring at it, you can do other things.

If crafting something satisfying & delicious & honing your skills isn't of interest to you, then yeah, not a thread for you.

Top Bottom