• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

ShinAmano

Going to smoke my first butt (lol) of the year this Friday. I will be back with pics and recipes.

What sort of length of time is usually required for bbqing ribs etc?
Ribs I usually smoke about 5 hours give or take. Pulled pork around 12-15 hours. Brisket somewhere in between the two. Chicken or fish vary.

hunnies28

So GAF I just bought a home and I have an important decision to make.
Should I get a Gas grill (bought) or have one made on my back yard (fixed, concrete or bricks I guess)?
I live in Mexico so no fucks are given about smoke.

Log4Girlz

BXXNx5Z.jpg

83OjDG2.jpg

That's impressive. I wouldn't mind tasting your meat.

Milchjon

Maybe a bit of an ignorant question, but are there any health implications for such an impressive bark (or barbecuing in general)? I look at all the black stuff and can't help but think "That just has to be bad for you".

Log4Girlz

Maybe a bit of an ignorant question, but are there any health implications for such an impressive bark (or barbecuing in general)? I look at all the black stuff and can't help but think "That just has to be bad for you".

Cancer. But what doesn't give you cancer nowadays.

CrankyJay

Banned

Well it's taking on smoke. I'm sure it's somewhat carcinogenic. But it's tasty.

CrankyJay

Banned
So GAF I just bought a home and I have an important decision to make.
Should I get a Gas grill (bought) or have one made on my back yard (fixed, concrete or bricks I guess)?
I live in Mexico so no fucks are given about smoke.

I dot know.

Gas if you're short in time.

Charcoal if you like taste and authenticity.

I see arguments for both, but lately I am favoring charcoal.

For anyone with a Weber kettle grill that wants to turn it into a smoker, I've heard great things about the Smokenator:
Smokenator 180 (18.5")

Smokenator 1000 (22.5")

Smokenator 2600 (26")

I plan on replacing my decrepit and old off brand Kettle grill in like a month with a nice Weber Performer and I think I'm going to grab a Smokenator for it. I've seen a lot of positive videos for it on youtube anyone here have direct experience with it though.

Anyone else do any cold smoking? I have the 6x6 A-Maze-N-Smoker which I have to say is pretty damn awesome. I use it for doing Bacon, cheeses, salt, and other stuff that you don't want cooking but want to get nice and smokey.

FStop7

Banned
I have four applewood smoked chicken quarters done, in foil. Another four in the smoker nearly done. And a pork butt that should be done around 8 tonight.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have four applewood smoked chicken quarters done, in foil. Another four in the smoker nearly done. And a pork butt that should be done around 8 tonight.

Same. Mine are quarters as well with a mix of apple and cherry. Would have done just apple but I finished my bag.

TheBear

Ribs I usually smoke about 5 hours give or take. Pulled pork around 12-15 hours. Brisket somewhere in between the two. Chicken or fish vary.

How often are you turning the meat?
15 hours seems an incredible amount of time to be hanging around a BBQ. I admire your dedication to delicious meat.

FStop7

Banned
My chicken came out so well. Might have to finish the pork in the oven though. Still has about 4 hours left and the wind is killing the smoker.

friday

Is there a thread for grilling?

Smoking, which can look similar to grill, but the temps are lower, the cooking time is much longer, and the heat is often indirect. The Fuel used is mostly wood and the food takes on the flavor of the smoke. Also the cuts of meet that one smokes are usually cheap meat that is very tough. The long cooking process breaks down the meat slowing and makes it super juicy and tender.

You guys had much luck roasting a pork shoulder? I live in NYC so smoking meat is out of the question and good bbq places are few and far between. I need a few thermometers but in theory is should turn out good beside not having the smoke flavor right?

CrankyJay

Banned
Smoking, which can look similar to grill, but the temps are lower, the cooking time is much longer, and the heat is often indirect. The Fuel used is mostly wood and the food takes on the flavor of the smoke. Also the cuts of meet that one smokes are usually cheap meat that is very tough. The long cooking process breaks down the meat slowing and makes it super juicy and tender.

You guys had much luck roasting a pork shoulder? I live in NYC so smoking meat is out of the question and good bbq places are few and far between. I need a few thermometers but in theory is should turn out good beside not having the smoke flavor right?

Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem should be decent. As for doing a pork shoulder in your oven, you can cook it at 225-250 for about 1-1.5 hours per pound.

I like to take my shoulders off around 190-195 degrees internal temp and let rest for at least 20-30 min foiled and then go ahead and pull.

Yeah, sure. If I had the money... ;-)

It was more of a general statement. This pulled pork will only be the second time in my life I've had it (the other being at a pub in the US) since the concept of low and slow is just not really known/understood here.

Second hand you can get them for next to nothing!

andycapps

How often are you turning the meat?
15 hours seems an incredible amount of time to be hanging around a BBQ. I admire your dedication to delicious meat.

It's definitely something that requires a commitment to being around to check on it occasionally, but if you get a good smoker and some good thermometers that transmit the temp to you wherever you are in your house (or on your iphone) it makes it a lot easier. Takes a lot of the maintenance out of the equation. The end result and knowing that you did everything is very satisfying.

Awesome pictures, Cranky.

oktarb

If you want a simple tri-tip:

1 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup Montreal Spice (McCormicks)
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Pour in ziplock bag let marinade for about an hour.

on BBQ direct heat 5-6 minutes each side. Indirect heat until springy to the touch. Take off heat, tent in tinfoil and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

CrankyJay

Banned
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=25065524&cat=238&s_cid=E0003

Does this look like the model with a propane starter to you guys? I really want to get a new Weber Performer Platinum but if I got this instead I could use the money on getting a dedicated smoker instead.

Maybe...I see the propane tank underneath.

1. If it doesn't, just get the weber chimney...it's pretty awesome.
2. Weber is pretty awesome at selling parts online so if the starter is broken you could probably fix it quite easily.

I still have my Weber Genesis Silver A from 2003 and they're still selling parts for it. I just replaced my gas tubes a few days ago, and the igniter last year.

otapnam

i have the previous model performer platinum with the starter (the new ones have the timer, etc)

I can say that you dont really need the starter, ive been using a chimney. But the table and cart is pretty awesome and convenient.

I'm glad I live in TX with all the BBQ places at my fingertips, but I do miss poboys in Louisiana. Pulled pork/brisket sandwiches are definitely a good replacement though.

Has anyone made a beer can chicken before? Is it worth making?

I've made a bunch of them, though I would put that more under grilling than I would BBQ. Anyway I like them a lot, and usually make a couple each summer. It doesn't have to be a beer can either, I've done it with Soda cans, and experimented with different liquids in the can and such.

andycapps

Has anyone made a beer can chicken before? Is it worth making?

Don't do it, you'd do better to remove the beer from the can and marinate the chicken in it. Or drink it. Short story is that aluminum cans and the paint on them are not rated for high heat, hardly any beer evaporates (if any), the can keeps heat from getting to the inside of the chicken (so it can potentially be raw or undercooked while the outside is done), etc. Much more detailed write up here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Beer can is just a gimmick...but it's useful to sit up the bird if you're making two on a smaller smoker.

Otherwise I'd just spatchcock it to make it cook faster.

Fusebox

Banned
Some amazing cooking in this thread, making me hungry!

It's interesting to hear that you guys make a distinction between BBQing and grilling. In Australia anything cooked on the BBQ has been BBQed and the grill is usually the top part of your indoors oven.

CrankyJay

Banned

It's interesting to hear that you guys make a distinction between BBQing and grilling. In Australia anything cooked on the BBQ has been BBQed and the grill is usually the top part of your indoors oven.

Same in some parts of the US...I make the distinction though.

My eyes light up when people say "come over for BBQ" and I get there and it's just grilled burgers and hot dogs and then I get all sad, lol.

Fusebox

Banned
Haha, yeah that would be a let down. I've never had proper BBQ outside of restaurants, at every Aussie BBQ I've ever been to everything is just what you call grilled.

andycapps

BBQ is low and slow, grilling is high and fast. So yeah, pet peeve of mine when I'm invited over for a BBQ and it's just burgers and hot dogs. If you're throwing out that term, I'm expecting some delicious smoked meats.

Awesome stuff dude, looks delicious. Do you have any opinions on a good entry-level smoker, not too expensive?

Late reply, but our team uses Weber Smokey Mountains and UDS (Ugly Drum Smokers)
for competition.

I would recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain as it is the best cooker for the price.

This was my first time ever leaving the fat cap on...I just wanted to see if there was a difference leaving it on. So I scored the fat down to the meat in one inch chunks. I really didn't notice a difference so I will continue to cut off the fat cap so I can get more surface area for bark.

I used to leave the fat cap on when I started out, and I now trim most of it off as well.

There is plenty of intramuscular fat in a Pork Butt (or Boston Roast as they call it now since they changed the names for cuts of meat ) and I agree, I would rather have more bark and spice rub touching the meat rather than having to throw away fat when pulling the pork.

Brisket needs the fat cap (trimmed to 1/4" thick) though since it is a leaner cut of meat IMHO.

Some nice BBQ going on in here GAF - Keep it comin'!

andycapps

Late reply, but our team uses Weber Smokey Mountains and UDS (Ugly Drum Smokers)
for competition.

I would recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain as it is the best cooker for the price.

I'm still a rookie but I love my WSM.

Have you guys won any awards yet? More pictures of great BBQ are always nice to look at, even if it makes me drool at work.

I'm still a rookie but I love my WSM.

Have you guys won any awards yet? More pictures of great BBQ are always nice to look at, even if it makes me drool at work.

We did our 1st comp last October, we took 1st in Chicken, 1st in Pork, 12th in Ribs and 21st in Brisket out of 35 teams - 5th place overall.

We actually beat "Diva Q" of BBQ Pitmasters fame (she was there competing)

We are doing 4 comps this year, our 1st one is next weekend!

andycapps

We did our 1st comp last October, we took 1st in Chicken, 1st in Pork, 12th in Ribs and 21st in Brisket out of 35 teams - 5th place overall.

We actually beat "Diva Q" of BBQ Pitmasters fame (she was there competing)

We are doing 4 comps this year, our 1st one is next weekend!

That's awesome. I remember her, wasn't she the one from Canada? I haven't worked up to doing brisket yet, I need to do a few more runs in my WSM and familiarize myself with it more. For some reason, brisket is intimidating to me. Seems much less forgiving than pork.

CrankyJay

Banned
That's awesome. I remember her, wasn't she the one from Canada? I haven't worked up to doing brisket yet, I need to do a few more runs in my WSM and familiarize myself with it more. For some reason, brisket is intimidating to me. Seems much less forgiving than pork.

Go see if you can get a USDA Select brisket somewhere...they exist. Shouldn't be more than $16-20.

Top Bottom