• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Teases January Cover(Dec 6th Reveal-A Survivor is Born) Tomb Raider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Peff said:
That may be true of Legend, but ever since fans almost ate the devs alive for that very reason she barely even talks anymore.
Which how I like it. Anniversary and Underworld are fantastic in that there is so little speaking during the actual gameplay. Especially Anniversary. It's really atmospheric when it's just light music, ambient sounds and the occasional grunt from Lara as she struggles to hold onto a ledge.

Curufinwe

zero margin said:
Hey, glad you guys are stoked don't get me wrong just seems like these come out often. Once a year basically right, like madden this franchise is. Unlike that series these are getting better every year it seems.

Part of the reason we're so stoked is that there will have been three full years between Underworld and this new TR game. Crystal D is a great dev, and I'm sure they will have put that extra time to good use.

Cerberus said:
tombraider1ggbi.jpg
Pan's Labyrinth?

Peff said:
That may be true of Legend, but ever since fans almost ate the devs alive for that very reason she barely even talks anymore.

I didn't even think tat Legend was about what he described. The recent games in terms of stories have been about artifacts and her family.

mollipen

I've always been interested in the origins story of Lara, and think it could make for a very interesting game if they took a rather young Lara who knows nothing about surviving and/or tomb-raiding and looks at how she started to become who she is.

I'd really like to see them skew her young enough for it to feel really different, though. If that art has any connection to this game, then looks/feel-wise she just reminds me of the same-old same-old Lara.

fernoca

Nice, count me in.
I do wonder if like The Guardian of Light, they'll scrap the Tomb Raider brand/name and call it Lara Croft: Origins or something like that to also indicate that this is a reboot.

Calling it Tomb Raider: Insert Subtitle Here, would give the impression to many that is a sequel/prequel to the franchise, even if it's not and many people would just ignore it.

Then again, many ignored The Guardian of Light, because it had Lara Croft in the name (and as a character); so people are dumb like that. :p

Paracelsus

Amir0x said:
I do. I like the Tomb Raider concept, i really do. Very very few games actually recreate that feeling of mysterious indiana jones exploration that the TR games do (when they're done well), and I honestly think the team they got on it is consistently moving in the right direction with gameplay.

Just needed camera fixes on Underworld,.

And a whole new set of animations, please.

Pooya

I'm so excited for this, CD's games get way better in each installments, huge improvements that is, GoL is so good,same for UW or TRA compared to their predecessors . Can't wait for this one, I like all of their Tomb Raider games.

Skilletor

Why do people insist on saying Uncharted is anything at all like Tomb Raider? I dislike Uncharted and fans of the game make it worse by bringing it up in every. fucking. thread.

I <3 Tomb Raider. I agree that this dev team gets it and is going in the right direction with gameplay. I skipped Underworld. Is it worth picking up? Should be hella cheap by now, right?

Can't wait to hear more about this.

Concept art looks stupid and hits on everything I've come to dislike about this series. Lara on horseback, shooting some mutated human/creature with an explosion in the background? You just know that'll become some shitty on-rails vehicle segment in the game. First game is still unmatched.

Skilletor

Confidence Man said:
Concept art looks stupid and hits on everything I've come to dislike about this series. Lara on horseback, shooting some mutated human/creature with an explosion in the background? You just know that'll become some shitty on-rails vehicle segment in the game. First game is still unmatched.

How can the concept art, which looks like nothing ever in the tomb raider series, be everything you hate about the games?

But yeah, the first game is awesome. The remake is better. :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
zero margin said:
another fuckin tomb raider?
Legends was great, Anniversary was also, and Underworld just needed a bit more polish. Not to mention the new DD one is probably one of the best DD titles this year. Easily on consoles at the very least.

Skilletor

shintoki said:
Legends was great, Anniversary was also, and Underworld just needed a bit more polish. Not to mention the new DD one is probably one of the best DD titles this year. Easily on consoles at the very least.

Agreed. This franchise has been awesome since CD took over.

Ah, I'm glad it's finally coming :lol
I was the one being surveyed about the game a year ago or so...so I took some screenshots :eek:
At first it felt sort of good, but then I was scared shitless when I saw my pics on joystiq, kotaku and 1up and such.

Here's the feature list:
[edit]
Oh, it has been posted already ;/

Hope it'll be good, cause it was my first game on ps1 and also the sole reason for purchasing it :)

ArjanN

Skilletor said:
How can the concept art, which looks like nothing ever in the tomb raider series, be everything you hate about the games?

But yeah, the first game is awesome. The remake is better. :D

This.

Bring on more Tomb Raider. All the Crystal Dynamics games were good.

Xenon

When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan

Laura Croft on Monster Island for a little SotC action!

Amir0x said:
yeah Tomb Raider's niche is actually incredibly unique, despite objections to the contrary. I don't get this same experience from virtually any other game on the market.

God... I still have amazing memories of getting Tomb Raider during Christmas break 1996, getting to that one room in the ruins with the swimming pool, climbing WAAAAAAY up, and diving into the water. That game was my first real experience with a fully 3D game (yeah, I know... I wasn't an N64 owner so I didn't even play Mario64 until 1997 or so)... and hot damn... I probably climbed, dove, climbed, dove, for an hour. :lol

Tomb Raider 1 was just phenomenal for its time.

Skilletor said:
Why do people insist on saying Uncharted is anything at all like Tomb Raider? I dislike Uncharted and fans of the game make it worse by bringing it up in every. fucking. thread.

I <3 Tomb Raider. I agree that this dev team gets it and is going in the right direction with gameplay. I skipped Underworld. Is it worth picking up? Should be hella cheap by now, right?

Can't wait to hear more about this.

CoD, Halo, Mario, Gears of War, Killzone..

What do they have in common?

You rack up body bags mindlessly like you were a colony of locusts going through the country side.

Uncharted is so great since its a nice change of pace. ;

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ExtraKr1spy said:

You rack up body bags mindlessly like you were a colony of locusts going through the country side.

I killed just as many guys in Uncharted 1/2 as I did in most of the games you named.

JDSN

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:

I cant even tell if you guys are joking or not, thats how crazy Uncharted fans are.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A tad disappointed there's no Uncharted 3 reveal, but that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a teaser shown at the VGAs.

Starting to think we won't see it unveiled till E3 2011, though.

Also, the new Tomb Raider sounds great. I enjoyed Underworld, although the combat and camera needed improvement.

Stallion Free said:
I killed just as many guys in Uncharted 1/2 as I did in most of the games you named.

Yeah, this is true. Uncharted is an action game, Tomb Raider really isn't.

This sounds very different to other games in the series, and I'm interested to see how it shapes up.

ArjanN

BLagiver said:
I would like to replace her with a guy and 2 awesome girls at his side. Uncharted 3 make it happen :lol

You'd also have to replace the gameplay with that of a cover-based shooter.

Amir0x

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
God... I still have amazing memories of getting Tomb Raider during Christmas break 1996, getting to that one room in the ruins with the swimming pool, climbing WAAAAAAY up, and diving into the water. That game was my first real experience with a fully 3D game (yeah, I know... I wasn't an N64 owner so I didn't even play Mario64 until 1997 or so)... and hot damn... I probably climbed, dove, climbed, dove, for an hour. :lol

Tomb Raider 1 was just phenomenal for its time.

I had did 3D games before, and boy Tomb Raider was rough to look at even then, but for me it was a very 'community' experience. I mean, I always played with one or another of my friends, and we'd always work each other into a scare. The tombs really were fucking pitch black, and you could hear the footsteps of fucking bears and shit. And because of the shit controls, when a fucking bear came at you, you'd be hopping around the fucking grid trying desperately to shoot the damn thing. It felt terrifying :lol

Also, I injured myself playing Tomb Raider. T-Rex level. I'm walking through a dark tunnel and I hear footsteps in the darkness. My heart is pounding, I creep slowly around the corner. Suddenly a fucking RAPTOR jumps past my shoulder.

I jump out of my seat so high that when I land back down I injure my leg, unable to walk for like a week.

There was a certain quality to these games though... it conveyed that idea like you were exploring ancient architecture, where nobody had been for thousands of years. The music was so perfect, just the right times it would come in to get your heart pounding or pump up the sense of mystery. And those damn traps/puzzles were devious.

DR2K

Banned
Amir0x said:
I jump out of my seat so high that when I land back down I injure my leg, unable to work for like a week.

You've got a soft spot for TR in more ways than one.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
LiK said:
UNCHARTED 3 WITH ZOMBIES.

OMG YEAH BUT UNCHARTED 1 ALREADY HAD ZOMBIES

Uncharted has very little actual exploration and puzzle solving compared to the TR games, but its far superior in combat. Natty Drake seems like a better character with constant wisecracks and everyman "woahs" and "yipes". Croft is far better when she seldom speaks and occasionally grunts or gasps when making a hard jump.

They're both great action adventure series with different emphasis on certain factors that make them different. No reason they can't coexist.

eshwaaz

Amir0x said:
Totally disagree with the strongest emphasis possible. Uncharted is an ENTIRELY different game than Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider at its best is a much slower, methodical exploration game, with heavy emphasis on puzzles and platforming challenges (WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY FUCKING DIE).

Uncharted is the other extreme - bright, sarcastic humour, impossibly easy platforming, very little in the way of puzzles or even exploration. Things work very linearly.

I like Uncharted 2, but they are so different it's a little ridiculous to say it is filling the niche.

Additionally, this new Tomb Raider concept is so explicitly different from every other Tomb Raider game to date that it's a bit ridiculous to call it a "regular" Tomb Raider game.
My feelings exactly. Uncharted vs. Tomb Raider direct comparisons have become extremely tiresome. The games excel in completely different areas.

Shacknews said:
Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump. There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
I find this troubling. The best part of Tomb Raider for me has always been the huge environmental/navigation puzzles. I really hope those have not been abandoned for the sake of an open world.

Amir0x said:
I had did 3D games before, and boy Tomb Raider was rough to look at even then, but for me it was a very 'community' experience. I mean, I always played with one or another of my friends, and we'd always work each other into a scare. The tombs really were fucking pitch black, and you could hear the footsteps of fucking bears and shit. And because of the shit controls, when a fucking bear came at you, you'd be hopping around the fucking grid trying desperately to shoot the damn thing. It felt terrifying :lol

Also, I injured myself playing Tomb Raider. T-Rex level. I'm walking through a dark tunnel and I hear footsteps in the darkness. My heart is pounding, I creep slowly around the corner. Suddenly a fucking RAPTOR jumps past my shoulder.

I jump out of my seat so high that when I land back down I injure my leg, unable to walk for like a week.

There was a certain quality to these games though... it conveyed that idea like you were exploring ancient architecture, where nobody had been for thousands of years. The music was so perfect, just the right times it would come in to get your heart pounding or pump up the sense of mystery. And those damn traps/puzzles were devious.

ahhh man... THE BEARS!!!!
Hopping, flipping, dual-gun shooting like crazy- awesomeness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom