• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Teases January Cover(Dec 6th Reveal-A Survivor is Born) Tomb Raider

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Dude

eshwaaz said:
I find this troubling. The best part of Tomb Raider for me has always been the huge environmental/navigation puzzles. I really hope those have not been abandoned for the sake of an open world.
I loved Anniversary and Underworld and this is my worry, too. I'm also worried that they'll put more emphasis on combat. Personally, I'd be quite happy if the Tomb Raider (and Prince of Persia) games got rid of combat altogether.

eshwaaz

The_Dude said:
I loved Anniversary and Underworld and this is my worry, too. I'm also worried that they'll put more emphasis on combat. Personally, I'd be quite happy if the Tomb Raider (and Prince of Persia) games got rid of combat altogether.
Agreed, 100%.

Amir0x

Banned
i still think Tomb Raider game needs combat. I don't think it'd be the same unless I was frantically trying to kill a mountain lion. Just needs to be good combat or very restrictive combat

at the very least, Lara Croft has amazing combat ;)

duckroll

I'm a bit torn about this announcement. On one hand, the idea of a reboot/origin story set on an island with open world gameplay and survival elements sounds like a cool game. Something which would appeal to me regardless of the IP. On the other hand, this doesn't really sound like Tomb Raider, and it doesn't sound like it's using the elements I like about Tomb Raider.

Not sure if want...

Foffy

Banned
I think one of the reasons I jumped from the Tomb Raider wagon to the Uncharted one was largely due to the combat. Mind you, I haven't played Guardian of Light or some of the newer ones outside of a demo, but all of the regular Tomb Raider games were pretty much holding down a button until whatever you were shooting at died. There wasn't much else to it.

If they have a Tomb Raider game with the manual aiming and impact Uncharted has with its guns, I'd be right behind that. :D

I don't think this will be trying any of that at all, but the concept sounds interesting enough.

I haven't played too many Tomb Raider games, but this game sounds really interesting. I'm digging the concept. I love Uncharted, and while the two series are similar in some ways, they are completely different.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
I'm a bit torn about this announcement. On one hand, the idea of a reboot/origin story set on an island with open world gameplay and survival elements sounds like a cool game. Something which would appeal to me regardless of the IP. On the other hand, this doesn't really sound like Tomb Raider, and it doesn't sound like it's using the elements I like about Tomb Raider.

Not sure if want...
I'm remaining positive since IIRC they brought back a lot of the people from the early ones to lead this.

I think she still raids tombs and solves puzzles on the island if I'm remembering the leaked scenario design sketches as well.

Well, I certainly looking forward to this reveal to see what its all about. I'm one that enjoyed all the CD era Tomb Raiders. It will be interesting to see which direction they are taking it now...

FrankT

TheJollyCorner said:
God... I still have amazing memories of getting Tomb Raider during Christmas break 1996, getting to that one room in the ruins with the swimming pool, climbing WAAAAAAY up, and diving into the water. That game was my first real experience with a fully 3D game (yeah, I know... I wasn't an N64 owner so I didn't even play Mario64 until 1997 or so)... and hot damn... I probably climbed, dove, climbed, dove, for an hour. :lol

Tomb Raider 1 was just phenomenal for its time.

One of my greatest gaming experiences of all time. Simply mesmerizing. Late, late nights into the mornings with that game. Few games could ever replicate. Still the greatest of them all.

Nirolak said:
I'm remaining positive since IIRC they brought back a lot of the people from the early ones to lead this.

I think she still raids tombs and solves puzzles on the island if I'm remembering the leaked scenario design sketches as well.
I thought that reboot was scrapped in favor of Guardian of Light? I must be confused. Those sketches also had weird Silent Hill monsters in it too.

RustyNails said:
I thought that reboot was scrapped in favor of Guardian of Light? I must be confused. Those sketches also had weird Silent Hill monsters in it too.

They were making two games at the same time. A downloadable Lara Croft game, and a retail Tomb Raider game. They've been pretty vocal about wanting to split the IP in LC and TR.

Amir0x said:
at the very least, Lara Croft has amazing combat ;)

I am so happy I wasn't the only person who was 100% engrossed by how amazing that game was, and I couldn't give half a shit about Lara Croft.

So The Guardian of Light plus a possible survival angle has this VERY high on my list.

dr_rus

Amir0x said:
i still think Tomb Raider game needs combat.
Combat was the weakest part of Underworld (well, that and the script). It was to 'arcadey' for the overal realistic feel of the game. They really need to change something there (and try not to do a gears of war clone while they're at it).

sublimit

Banned
If this game is a continuation of Tomb Raider for Dummies that the last three game were (heavily scripted automatic gameplay,areas full of ridiculous invisible walls and gimmicky combat) then this will be the final nail in the coffin for me.
I hope that with this new game Crystal Dynamics finally left their egoism aside and looked closely at the classic Tomb Raiders (1-5) and realized what were the elements that made the Core Design games so successful.
It's time the franchise to stop being a cheap soap opera melodrama and start focusing on some serious exploration with a focus on Tomb Raider the game rather than Lara Croft the character.
And i hope that this time they are less lazy and they actually develop all versions by themselves because the PS3 version of Underworld was one of the most buggy games i've ever played.

That concept art looks pretty nice and I've actually been enjoying the Tomb Raider series for the first time in like over a decade so I'm ready for more. Hopefully some of the same(all?)people are working on it and such from the other games this gen.

BowieZ

Banned
HOLY SHUCK.

Hmm. I wonder. Could the word "Survivor" form part of the game's title?

"A Survivor is born" is actually pretty cool too, but it's probably more suited to a tag line.

Cerberus said:
tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Lara meets Raziel?

SimonM7

Amir0x said:
Totally disagree with the strongest emphasis possible. Uncharted is an ENTIRELY different game than Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider at its best is a much slower, methodical exploration game, with heavy emphasis on puzzles and platforming challenges (WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY FUCKING DIE).

Uncharted is the other extreme - bright, sarcastic humour, impossibly easy platforming, very little in the way of puzzles or even exploration. Things work very linearly.

I like Uncharted 2, but they are so different it's a little ridiculous to say it is filling the niche.

I've not been here long, but god I love that this is a place where people realise stuff like that.

Majmun

Always ready for a new Tomb Raider. There hasn't been one Tomb Raider game that I haven't liked so far.

So bring it.

sublimit

Banned
Amir0x said:
Totally disagree with the strongest emphasis possible. Uncharted is an ENTIRELY different game than Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider at its best is a much slower, methodical exploration game, with heavy emphasis on puzzles and platforming challenges (WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY FUCKING DIE).

Uncharted is the other extreme - bright, sarcastic humour, impossibly easy platforming, very little in the way of puzzles or even exploration. Things work very linearly.

I like Uncharted 2, but they are so different it's a little ridiculous to say it is filling the niche.

Additionally, this new Tomb Raider concept is so explicitly different from every other Tomb Raider game to date that it's a bit ridiculous to call it a "regular" Tomb Raider game.

If you are referring to the first 5 TR games then yes i agree 100%.The classic TR games were a million miles away from Uncharted and if they really want to differentiate the franchise from a genre that is full of cookie cutter platformers (including Legend,Anniversary and Underworld) then all they have to do is look at the roots of the franchise for inspiration.
There hasn't been any other game since Chronicles to give the player the feeling of being "inside" the game as if it was a movement simulation game.
Tomb Raider doesn't need Hollywood drama,long cutscenes and scripted controls like Uncharted,Enslaved and so many other current gen games have in order to succeed.
Tomb Raider to me is all about you,the player,being alone in a treacherous environment full of possibilities,trying figuring out how to go from point A to point B,by mastering a control system that gives you full responsibility of your actions and ultimately immerses you in a game that has a minimal story which never gets in the way of gameplay.
This for me,is what Tomb Raider was and what it should be.If you take any of these "ingredients" away then there is no need to call the game Tomb raider anymore.

Amir0x

Banned
sublimit said:
If you are referring to the first 5 TR games then yes i agree 100%.The classic TR games were a million miles away from Uncharted and if they really want to differentiate the franchise from a genre that is full of cookie cutter platformers (including Legend,Anniversary and Underworld) then all they have to do is look at the roots of the franchise for inspiration.
There hasn't been any other game since Chronicles to give the player the feeling of being "inside" the game as if it was a movement simulation game.
Tomb Raider doesn't need Hollywood drama,long cutscenes and scripted controls like Uncharted,Enslaved and so many other current gen games have in order to succeed.
Tomb Raider to me is all about you,the player,being alone in a treacherous environment full of possibilities,trying figuring out how to go from point A to point B,by mastering a control system that gives you full responsibility of your actions and ultimately immerses you in a game that has a minimal story which never gets in the way of gameplay.
This for me,is what Tomb Raider was and what it should be.If you take any of these "ingredients" away then there is no need to call the game Tomb raider anymore.

I actually think L, A and U captured much of the feeling of the classic Tomb Raider extremely well. One was encumbered by shitty camera angles, but I mean... for how wrong it could have gone.

They still emphasized non-automated platforming, puzzle solving and general exploration. In particular, the reason this island idea intrigues me at all (as opposed to making me scratch my head) is due to the South Mexico Mayan levels in Underworld, which had you driving your motorcycle between series of ruins in order to solve a larger overarching puzzle at the central ruin.

If the island is a larger version of that, I'd be quite excited indeed... would capture the essence of exploring ancient ruins, solving puzzles and being alone blowing dust off artifacts.

derFeef

Sounds good to me. I just hope they can keep the Tomb Raider formula and rather extend on it and not replace it with something new, because Tomb Raider games are unique and have a special place in my heart. CD has ben great lately, with Guardian of Light being their best game yet.

Didn't we already do this, off the coast of Ireland with wee Lara vs Banshees and Priests with horrible Irish accents?
:lol

Interested anyway.

Yoshiya

Sorry for the bump, but it's confirmed beyond doubt that this is a Square-Enix product. Interesting that they would trademark that line, suggesting that it's more than just a teaser.

Via Siliconera.

Reboots of Hitman and Tomb Raider coming from Square-Enix. Let's hope this is going in the right direction.

Please for the love of god. Responsive controls, a decent camera, and ingenious level design. That's all I ask for in a Tomb Raider game. I couldn't care less about combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom