• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

kirblar

I've currently got an unlocked S8 in my Amazon cart to replace my 6P and its piece-of-shit defective battery. Haven't clicked buy quite yet.

Should I do it, folks? Samsung doing a decent job with updates for the unlocked version?
Which carrier? IIRC some are great with unlocks, some not so much.

Are you in the US? Found out about Swappa.com and would likely be using it if I needed to pick up a new phone. (Used the T-Mobile BOGOs to get S8s for people on our plan.)

Am I the only one that has never pressed the bixby button?

I think I might have pressed it by mistake early on, but I've never set it up or done anything with it.

Have had the phone since launch.

I don't even recognize that there is a button there

Which carrier? IIRC some are great with unlocks, some not so much.

Are you in the US? Found out about Swappa.com and would likely be using it if I needed to pick up a new phone. (Used the T-Mobile BOGOs to get S8s for people on our plan.)

I currently use Cricket + Google Voice, but I switch carriers frequently.

I'm probably going with Amazon because it qualifies for 12-month interest-free financing with my Amazon store card, but I'll check out Swappa as well.

kirblar

I think I might have pressed it by mistake early on, but I've never set it up or done anything with it.

I really want it to be able to be integrated with the camera in a future update.

This looks so good.

Thanks to Substratum

jQZKuEA.jpg

Kind of relieved that I'll be getting a smaller phone after the 6P.

6P has been a REAL pain in the ass to use while running. Great for other things, but terrible for that particular thing.

i press it occasionally, but i mostly use the voice command.

gotta level up and get my Samsung Rewards points.

SoundLad

Got a black S8 few days ago and I love it! Coming from a Galaxy S5 it's a day and night difference.
The screen is some next level shit - downloaded and watched a HDR sample in Samsung Video and it blew me away - can't wait for YouTube to fix the bad HDR implementation (frame drops + artifacts).
What are your favourite edge panel apps by the way?

Hey!

Can anyone with Spotify and a Galaxy S8 try something for me.

On every Galaxy phone I've had, there was an issue with using equalizers and Spotify. The issue is that the equalizer seems to toggle between active and not active depending on your media input.

In other words, if you start a song in Spotify, the song would start without the equalizer, then about half a second later, the sound would fade out, and then fade in, but with the equalizer enabled again. This issue would occur every time you skipped songs or fast forwarded in a song.

So, can someone test and see if the same issue occurs on Galaxy S8 when the equalizer is activated?

BraXzy

I'd very much like Samsung to borrow some of the new QoL features added to iOS 11.

Swiping up from the bottom for example brings up the dock anywhere.

Hasney

I'd very much like Samsung to borrow some of the new QoL features added to iOS 11.

Swiping up from the bottom for example brings up the dock anywhere.

What would that bring that the notifications shade/quick settings and the swipe from the right doesn't have?

SoundLad

Hey!

On every Galaxy phone I've had, there was an issue with using equalizers and Spotify. The issue is that the equalizer seems to toggle between active and not active depending on your media input.

In other words, if you start a song in Spotify, the song would start without the equalizer, then about half a second later, the sound would fade out, and then fade in, but with the equalizer enabled again. This issue would occur every time you skipped songs or fast forwarded in a song.

So, can someone test and see if the same issue occurs on Galaxy S8 when the equalizer is activated?

Just tested it there - please keep in mind that I don't normally use the EQ. Flat/disabled EQ is usually best for me.

I switched it from "Normal" to "Classic" and went to start a few tracks and I didn't notice a difference in tone or a fade in/fade out effect at the very start of tracks like you described.

sun-drop

I noticed some time ago the update changed the way the phone handels usb drives, before there was an explicit way to stop the device before you pulled it out of the USB2go adaptor....now....it's not so obvious. There are transfer files options, and charge device etc..

What's the deal?

Fletcher

Is there a way to change the navigation bar at the bottom (back, home, apps buttons) to have a black background? It being white is really bugging me.

BraXzy

What would that bring that the notifications shade/quick settings and the swipe from the right doesn't have?

More options. I don't have my dock apps in the edge panel because I don't see the point in having them listed twice. Doesn't hurt to have more gestures available.

On top of that, the new settings menu on swipe they've implemented is great, you can slide up and down both brightness and sound without the need to fiddle with buttons (which would help alleviate the fiddly accidental bixby presses)

Any case recommendations for the regular S8?

Prefer fairly minimal cases and/or bumpers if at all possible.

I've tried a few now and the only one that I feel adds any protection while still being relatively slim is the Spigen Liquid Air - the slim armour texture felt horrible, the neo-hybrid was too bulky.

mantidor

Hey!

I've had several Galaxy phones and this has never happened, actually sometimes they activate the equalizer by default and I have to turn it off manually since I prefer it that way.

Is there a way to change the navigation bar at the bottom (back, home, apps buttons) to have a black background? It being white is really bugging me.

The last update made this asinine decision, I just turned the bar off so it hides and you can bring it up with a swipe from the bottom when needed (and it has a faded black background when doing it), hopefully they will come to their senses and add black as an option again.

I've read that the excuse is something about burning the screen but that is absurd when something like Always On exists and does no damage.

I'm really considering selling my POS LG G5 and getting a Galaxy s8 for free on a two year deal. Does everyone think this is a good idea?

I really loved my Note 4 back in the day and really regreted going to LG and just want a phone that'll not turn to shit after a year.

The Note 5 is over $549 cad with a two year deal so that's not in the cards for me but the s8 has a big enough screen and the lack of stylus isn't a deal breaker.

I'm really considering selling my POS LG G5 and getting a Galaxy s8 for free on a two year deal. Does everyone think this is a good idea?

I really loved my Note 4 back in the day and really regreted going to LG and just want a phone that'll not turn to shit after a year.

The Note 5 is over $549 cad with a two year deal so that's not in the cards for me but the s8 has a big enough screen and the lack of stylus isn't a deal breaker.
Can you try it at a store or something?

I came from mostly stock Nexus phones to the S8 and never was a fan of the Galaxy line, but this phone is just amazing. No regrets.

Can you try it at a store or something?

I came from mostly stock Nexus phones to the S8 and never was a fan of the Galaxy line, but this phone is just amazing. No regrets.
I played around with it for a few minutes a couple of months ago and loved the crispness of the screen and the lack of bezels. I'm just now concerned with bloatware or the device slowing down to all fuck after 6 months like my G5 is currently a year in. If that isn't a problem with the s8 then I might jump in with bday money to pay off the early cancellation fee.

For those wondering above, it's free but with a two year contract. Still pretty good considering the phone only came out in april lol.

kirblar

I played around with it for a few minutes a couple of months ago and loved the crispness of the screen and the lack of bezels. I'm just now concerned with bloatware or the device slowing down to all fuck after 6 months like my G5 is currently a year in. If that isn't a problem with the s8 then I might jump in with bday money to pay off the early cancellation fee.

For those wondering above, it's free but with a two year contract. Still pretty good considering the phone only came out in april lol.
How much are you paying monthly including the phone? Phone is amazing.
Post above :p

And yeah unless you despise your carrier and being bound for two years is a deal breaker it's a good deal, specially if you come from an LG5 since you wouldn't be in unfamiliar territory with Android.
I somehow managed to miss that lol

Post above :p

And yeah unless you despise your carrier and being bound for two years is a deal breaker it's a good trade off, specially if you come from an LG5 since you wouldn't be in unfamiliar territory with Android.
I'm definitely cool with my provider and can only afford a new phone via contract, so no deal breakers there.

How much are you paying monthly including the phone? Phone is amazing.
I'd be paying 79.10 cad a month as I have a 8gb plan.

My Glaxay S8 arrived the other day. I'm used to iPhone's but I'm impressed with this device. The screen is beautiful and apps using the entire screen is lovely to see. Didn't have too much trouble getting things set up the way I wanted them. Impressive phone, just a shame about all the marketing and privacy messages on set-up.

chefbags

Might be a stupid question but can I use this substratum theme for the settings and other apps but also keep my klwp live wallpaper theme?

sun-drop

Nova Launcher will do that for you, and alot more.

Yeh was thinking about this the other day, considering the iPhone x doesn't have a home screen the swipe up gesture would work well.

But yeh , nothing new for Nova.

I use double tap to Android settings, swipe up and down to app draw, two finger down to Nova settings. And one finger swipe down from home to Google search. And home button tap while on home panel to Google Assistant. Boss

Clicking around on youtube and whatnot thinking about a new phone.

I already knew about Samsung being out front with the multi-window features. A big thing I want is more ability to do it with video and whatnot. But it is gonna be improved across the board with Oreo I read. So I was open to any of the new phones coming soon that will get that added support.

I have been happy with Huawei. Not really because of the phone's X Y or Z. Those are all good but lots of phones have good screen/battery/camera/ect... There is too much focus on comparing simple variables because it is simple.

I've come to enjoy the quirky setup because they put some neat use-ability in their phone software. Many people seem to reflexively dislike whatever is different than what they are use to.

Why did I have to bounce around for hours before ever hearing about Samsung Edge panels? It was some S8 tips and tricks video. Is it old news now and nobody cares to show it off?

This would be a nice replacement to the ease of use Huawei gives you with the rear fingerprint sensor/touch pad.
Touch = Back
Touch+Hold = Home
Swipe Down = Notifications
Swipe Up = Current Apps

You can set the Panels up however you like I believe but the 1 the guy in this demo pops up a button for Recent, Home, Back, Screen Cap and Lock.

Makes me wonder if I should try and get an S8 at a nice price or wait and look at what the S9 offers next spring. The hype around launch does lead to some nice deals for a brand new phone.

And I could just swap my Sim card from my unlocked phone into a new unlocked phone and I'd be set right?

Izuna

Banned
Um...what exactly were you expecting to get out of it?

Coming from Windows Phone I half expected to care about being able to use apps that never made it over. Apart from a couple novelty ones that dont require a high end device, I basically do the exact same stuff as my 950.

This phone is unlocked and has a minor scratch on the back from when I bought it, I think I can get an S6 or something and pocket £350.

Also, no YouTube HDR or Netflix HDR yet.

Top Bottom