• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ditches main E3 conference, still there with games, press events, N-Direct

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they don't have enough material to fill out an E3 presentation. Or they're just too lazy to pad their presentation. One or the other.

M-PG71C

Sounds like they are actually giving it a shot in my opinion, Iwata announcement and all.

Yep, this is not Panic Nintendo. This is Scrappy Nintendo. This is very ballsy when you think about it. But if done correctly, it will yield a very positive result for them. At worse, it can be no better than the last two E3s.

It's very progressive. We'll see how it pans out.

Frolow

Banned
This will be interesting. Nintendo Directs and Miiverse could provide unique experience. Imagine having demos for just announced titles right on the eShop with Miiverse communities. Or a Smash Dojo Miiverse page with daily updates. There's a lot of ways they can handle this.

All and all, not a big lost. Nintendo Directs are essentially the same as their E3 conferences were, just without the padding. Not to mention if the media and retailers are getting their own events then this pretty much covers all the bases. The only negative I can see here is that the media won't pay as much attention to their software as if they did a large conference like they usual do. But this mainly depends on how large the media event is going to be.

Kazerei

Banned
No press conference? Sounds like a smart idea because they obviously will not get any spotlight room from the other two.

There won't be a massive catch-all press conference, but there will be an event for distributors, an event for media, and Nintendo Directs for gamers.

Anteo

I... really don't think E3 is so prohibitively expensive that it's a cost concern. E3 is the one media event the industry has that actually attracts some degree of attention from the mainstream. Minimizing their presence there will do the floundering WiiU no favors.

Don't worry, they will make a ND that looks like a E3 conference, with graphs and everything!
Seriously, what if they do something like the E3 conference but in a ND. It wouldn't make much different to be honest, just less graphs and more games. They could use the green screen to make it look like they are on the Nokia theatre.

Oh I know! Release a SmallND every few hours, with one game featured.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Several of us were predicting this about a week or two ago.

With Nintendo Direct, E3 is somewhat pointless for Nintendo now.

Foffy

Banned
If this was done simply to save money, then Nintendo is in a hell of a lot more trouble than I thought.

Most of what E3 does is waste money. E3 itself and the spectacle it creates is a very costly thing, and for Nintendo, why in the world should they burn money now that they have a mini-E3 system literally at their own use?

Wynnebeck

Banned
WTF Nintendo!? Do you want to just give Sony and MS free reign at E3? This company blows my mind. I still wonder why I have my 3DS and Wii.

fritolay

They have nothing big to announce so why schedule a big announcement?

All the spotlight will be on Sony and Microsoft so they might as well save a few bucks.

Then next year they will have the spotlight when they announce the Wii U2

I remember when I came to the realization that Nintendo wasn't really targeting me anymore. I wonder what today felt like for their remaining fanbase. I mean Jesus, they were counting on E3 changing everything.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Part of this has to be the extreme lack of any third party support they're getting going forward. I don't think even Nintendo can fill up a presser with just their games.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well I guess my hopes for the Wii Vitality sensor being re-introduced this year have been dashed again.

I don't think it is "dashed" completely, but definitely less likely. :/

I'm not sure how to feel about this announcement...

Most of what E3 does is waste money. E3 itself and the spectacle it creates is a very costly thing, and for Nintendo, why in the world should they burn money now that they have a mini-E3 system literally at their own use?

It why Microsoft had to get paid ads from Prometheus and Usher to fund last year's conference.

Revven

I like it. It solves all of the complaints about how these events were starting to get bogged down by sales figures and charts. Every year threads have pages of "JUST SHOW GAMES" and "UGH MORE CHARTS".

I don't know exactly what they're planning but I like the fact that they're trying to shake things up and get the information to the people that are interested in it more directly.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty surprised they took notice of this finally. I never thought I'd see them recognize this flaw with every conference. Nintendo is taking the first step forward in trying to eliminate this for us, the gamers, who just want to SEE GAMES.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if this'll affect Nintendo's exposure to the mass audience, which the Wii U desperately needs right now. Maybe they've got other ideas on how to get that info out to the big news outlets.

You mean the same mass audience that has collectively ignored the system since its launch?

I am really not sure if even Nintendo thinks that audience can be brought back.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'd agree with you if the last couple E3's didn't leave me feeling like all I got for Christmas was socks.

They specifically said they're holding special events for the media. It'll probably be even more focused and direct and catered to what they need to know to report on the games.

Exactly. They want mainstream press writing about how much fun was this or that game instead of being compared with the big blowouts from MS and Sony.

Drago

For me, I don't really care. Still gonna get my game announcements and such either way.

In the big picture though, I think this is a bad idea for the reasons most people have said already: they probably won't receive much media attention from this.

Anteo

I remember when I came to the realization that Nintendo wasn't really targeting me anymore. I wonder what today felt like for their remaining fanbase. I mean Jesus, they were counting on E3 changing everything.

They are still going to present new games at e3. So what are you saying?

BadWolf

Makes sense, especially this year.

No matter what they put out it will be lost in the hype for the two new consoles.

Nairume

Banned
Maybe they don't have enough material to fill out an E3 presentation. Or they're just too lazy to pad their presentation. One or the other.
It's probably the other way around.

They've already said they are showing off Mario U, Smash U, and Zelda U, along with demoing other stuff they've shown off and announcing anything new. They've got a lot of shit to talk about, and a single 60 minute conference that tries to juggle off marketing shit for retailers, fancy stuff for the press, and then showing shit off for consumers isn't going to work for them if they want to try and keep up with the other guys showing off new hardware.

Part of this has to be the extreme lack of any third party support they're getting going forward. I don't think even Nintendo can fill up a presser with just their games.

Pretty much. Nintendo is giving Rayman the same level of attention to their internal titles during this shareholder meeting. That shows you the caliber and quantity of third party titles they have to announce.

DaBoss

WTF Nintendo!? Do you want to just give Sony and MS free reign at E3? This company blows my mind. I still wonder why I have my 3DS and Wii.

I would imagine it would be for the games and not because of their conferences.

Makes sense, especially this year.

No matter what they put out it will be lost in the hype for the two new consoles.

Yup, the press' attention is all on PS4/720.

LOCK

I want people to get banned for not reading the OP.

Nintendo will have events for the press. And an event for gamers at home. How will they do this, we'll find out. All this over reacting is pointless.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Demos launching for all the new game announcements right after an E3 Direct.

Make it happen, Cammy.

Vidpixel

I find this to be very disappointing, as the press conferences provide some of the most exciting moments of E3. I hope Microsoft and Sony don't follow suit.

But they are having stuff at #3, they've already even said stuff they will have at E3 (Smash, Mario, Mario kart). The only thing this is changing is the supposed delivery method. Which frankly, as much as I like the spectacle of E3 conferences, doesn't really matter in regards to announcing stuff I care about or "changing everything'.

Darryl

Banned
they could gather all of the normal visitors in one room so that they can watch the nintendo direct in person, while the audience watches them watch the event live (lol). it'll air on TV, E3 website, etc. same spot as always. just a completely controlled experience and the bulk of their effort will be behind closed doors that journalists can visit immediately after the event.

Majine

Banned
This is very anecdotal, but I have a couple of friends that usually never follows anything Nintendo except when E3 comes around, then they watch their E3 presser.

XenodudeX

I want people to get banned for not reading the OP.

Nintendo will have events for the press. And an event for gamers at home. How will they do this, we'll find out. All this over reacting is pointless.

I don't remember anything that said that. Sounds like an assumption on your part.

DaBoss

Hahaha, Iwata so funny.

nVsOXRE.png

https://twitter.com/IwataCEO/status/327254098732785665

Anyone hoping for demos need to be realistic.

It's not happening and the wishful thinking only amplifies what a mistake this move is for Nintendo.

Closed events and prerecorded Nintendo directs cannot replace the hype and exposure a full live E3 presentation offers. Nintendo feels they are not able to perform equally with the competition on such a stagem

they could gather all of the normal visitors in one room so that they can watch the nintendo direct in person, while the audience watches them watch the event live (lol). it'll air on TV, E3 website, etc. same spot as always. just a completely controlled experience and the bulk of their effort will be behind closed doors that journalists can visit immediately after the event.

You realize that you just described a traditional E3 press conference right?

Top Bottom