• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ditches main E3 conference, still there with games, press events, N-Direct

Hiltz

Kind of depressing, but I hope they have some good news in Nintendo Directs that week.

It just feels hollow. For me E3 is like Christmas, and part of it is gone now.

Honestly, while we all get excited and hopeful for E3 each year, several times E3 has turned out to been snooze fest for all major conferences. The last one was pretty dull for all three console manufacturers. It's been cool to watch the announcements get made, but if part of Nintendo's plan is to potentially release eShop demos for all of us to play, then that would be even better way to excite the fan base since we won't have to just rely on some brief hands-on time from game journalists.

Neiteio

Having an E3 conference sends the message your product is relevant. Sony will have a conference. Microsoft will have a conference. They're communicating their products are important enough to merit the attention. So should Nintendo.

At the same time, having multiple Directs, etc, allows you to more precisely target your information, meeting the needs of different groups, like gamers, retailers, investors, the press, etc.

The grand question?

29260446.jpg

The more I think about it the more it makes sense, but I'm still a little disappointed. Ah well, we better get some Smash Bros/secret Retro Studios project footage.

Tookay

Smash 3 was revealed in a small room with folding chairs.

I don't think Smash 4 has a lot to worry about.

Announcing your game at some post-conference event after having a great conference is like a cherry-on-top that makes the hype explode.

Not having a conference presence and announcing it through some Direct without mainstream media participation or reaction is another.

Smash 4 will get announced and be fine, but the mainstream coverage of Nintendo games may not be, especially in comparison to PS4/Durango.

Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct with simultaneous E3 hands-on event
Mario Kart Wii U Nintendo Direct with simultaneous E3 hands-on event
Zelda: Wind Waker HD Nintendo Direct with simultaneous E3 hands-on event

etc.

DaBoss

Having an E3 conference sends the message your product is relevant. Sony will have a conference. Microsoft will have a conference. They're communicating their products are important enough to merit the attention. So should Nintendo.

At the same time, having multiple Directs, etc, allows you to more precisely target your information, meeting the needs of different groups, like gamers, retailers, investors, the press, etc.

The grand question?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29260446.jpg

One costs a lot of money. The other gets the same message with a lot less money spent. You decide which one you would want to do if you had to pay for it/make the company you run pay for it.

I don't get some of the "I'll miss you at E3 Nintendo" posts.

You guys know that Nintendo is strongly implying they will show things off for E3, right? Remember how there were several events last year? I'm assuming their plan will be similar here. Think Nintendo's Pre-E3 conference Nintendo Direct last year, or how Konami has done their presentation for the past few years. Nintendo will be there, but they are customizing their presentation it seems. For North America they will have a certain conference, same for Europe and Japan.

Also, they seem to want to customize the presentations to add more to our ability to judge the quality of the games they show. If the consistent quality of recent Nintendo Directs is any indications, I think this customization will allow Nintendo to put more focus on core games than before and not feel like they are wasting the time of investors or stock companies who are looking on.

I don't see how people think Nintendo won't be there. They've already said Mario Kart, Mario, and Smash Bros will be there. There's almost definitely a presentation (or several), it's just not the big theatrical staged one from before, and honestly, I think that may be for the best. I would rather have a lot of awesome game announcements in a customized E3 Nintendo Direct than a big theatrical stage demonstration with nothing of note. Every few years that setup worked very well, but to me a lot of times (especially the last two years) it just felt like hollow theatrics, an I'd rather have substance over style with game announcements. Can we cool it with the "E3 doomed" comments I've seen in this thread and the previous one on the topic?

antonz

Exact Statement

Also, I would like to use this opportunity to talk about this year’s E3.

In the past we invited reporters, investors and analysts, industry partners, such as software publishers, and distributors who attended E3 to our large-scale presentations. We also used them as a communication tool in which we broadcast our presentations on the Internet to reach out to video game fans around the globe. I believe that many are expecting us to host a similar event this year.
On the other hand, since we set out on new endeavors such as Nintendo Direct two years ago in October, we have been paying special attention to the fact that different people demand different types of information from us. For example, as video game fans are looking for information about games, it seems that they are less interested in sales figures that investors and analysts on the other hand attach much greater importance to, and distribution partners are looking for information on how we are going to market our products in the immediate future. At previous financial briefing sessions we announced information about our products, showed videos and even uploaded the recording of these events onto our website, but given that we now have an established method such as Nintendo Direct, we feel that we will be able to deliver our messages more appropriately and effectively by doing so individually based on the various needs of different groups of people.
At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3.

First, we decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past.
Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media. Also, I did not speak at last year’s presentation, and I am not planning to speak at these events at the E3 show this year either. Apart from these exclusive events for visitors, we are continuing to investigate ways to deliver information about our games directly to our home audience around the time of E3. We will share more information about them once they have officially been decided.
During the E3 period, we will utilize our direct communication tools, such as Nintendo Direct, to deliver information to our Japanese audience, including those who are at this financial briefing, mainly focusing on the software that we are going to launch in Japan, and we will take the same approach outside Japan for the overseas fans as well.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
One costs a lot of money. The other gets the same message with a lot less money spent. You decide which one you would want to do if you had to pay for it/make the company you run pay for it.
If this was done simply to save money, then Nintendo is in a hell of a lot more trouble than I thought.

TheNatural

My Member!
Good riddance. Less hype means less overhype and less disappointment. The last few years have been a joke anyway, it's better for them to not continue the mess in the same manner.

Shion

Not hosting a conference during the world's biggest gaming event shows weakness and incompetence.

Not only it damages your image, but it also creates less hype and awareness.

Valkyria

Banned

Direct don't even come close to E3. E3 is the only time of the year when media take notices of gaming news. Even the news in my country open up with the announcements, like Kinnect or Wii.

Direct is for the people who is really into this. I just don't know what are they thinking, and the spin from some fellow gaffers is just unbelievable.

Neiteio

I... really don't think E3 is so prohibitively expensive that it's a cost concern. E3 is the one media event the industry has that actually attracts some degree of attention from the mainstream. Minimizing their presence there will do the floundering WiiU no favors.

Announcing your game at some post-conference event after having a great conference is like a cherry-on-top that makes the hype explode.

Not having a conference presence and announcing it through some Direct without mainstream media participation or reaction is another.

What experience are we basing this on, though?

I mean, yeah, this could be the worst idea ever and they will go back to a normal stage show next year.

I think the possibility exists that this is the only way to fight back from the corner they're in right now.

We'll find out in two months, but I don't think either result is guaranteed.

Good riddance. Less hype means less overhype and less disappointment. The last few years have been a joke anyway, it's better for them to not continue the mess in the same manner.

They could have tried actually delivering the goods once again. No, that would require effort...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This is a really bad move. It kind of seems like they are worried about getting overshadowed by Microsoft and Sony's next-gen consoles. There's no need to be, these smaller events are boring and won't build any anticipation for their titles.

Kazerei

Banned
On the other hand, since we set out on new endeavors such as Nintendo Direct two years ago in October, we have been paying special attention to the fact that different people demand different types of information from us. For example, as video game fans are looking for information about games, it seems that they are less interested in sales figures that investors and analysts on the other hand attach much greater importance to, and distribution partners are looking for information on how we are going to market our products in the immediate future.

Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media.

During the E3 period, we will utilize our direct communication tools, such as Nintendo Direct, to deliver information to our Japanese audience, including those who are at this financial briefing, mainly focusing on the software that we are going to launch in Japan, and we will take the same approach outside Japan for the overseas fans as well.

Makes sense, and it's a great idea IMO. I really just want to see games, and I've been bored in past presentations when they talk about sales, business strategy, marketing talk, etc. Sony, I'm looking at you.

UberTag

Hmm... so no Nintendo E3 conference.
Just a couple closed events which may or may not have NDAs in play for retailers and media.
We may not even get announcements of what Wii U titles are on display.
Joy.

At least we'll get some Nintendo Directs.

Nairume

Banned

Smash 4 will get announced and be fine, but the mainstream coverage of Nintendo games may not be, especially in comparison to PS4/Durango.
Didn't they say that they were still doing a press event?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I had a feeling Nintendo would do this. I said similar on GAF way back in January.

I've said it before, but I just don't think Nintendo care about E3. Nintendo Direct has made it obsolete. They deliver their news, at their own pace, with no competition.

For me, it was pretty clear how little they valued E3 after they saved their "Namco working on Smash" and "3DS XL revealed" megatons for a Nintendo Direct two weeks after the event.

It isn't just Nintendo though. Look at their competitors - Sony unveiled the PS4 at the Playstation Meeting earlier this year. Microsoft are talking about the Xbox in May. E3 is increasingly irrelevant in an online world.

Hiltz

I'm actually okay with this new approach. Let's give a chance before we damn Iwata to hell. Besides, Nintendo clearly has not cared about what Sony and Microsoft are up to, and third parties don't exactly care much for Nintendo to begin with. Even the ones that do, Nintendo can still feature their titles through Nintendo Direct or do optional demos of their own if they wish.

Look on the bright side, this means less chances for awkward speeches and unimpressive live demos!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ah, so they are doing a conference for the media and distributors. They just aren't having the public conference.

No, they will have public conference but it's not typical one anyway. I think it's mostly for Wii U Supports. That's if I understand it right.

At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3.

Hopefully they will show SSB4 media that they claimed that they will.

Tookay

What experience are we basing this on, though?

I mean, yeah, this could be the worst idea ever and they will go back to a normal stage show next year.

I think the possibility exists that this is the only way to fight back from the corner they're in right now.

We'll find out in two months, but I don't think either result is guaranteed.

To me, this feels like they're retreating further in the corner.

But you're right; we'll see.

Didn't they say that they were still doing a press event?

Yes, but I imagine it'll be for a smaller crowd than renting out Nokia Theater.

RedSwirl

What I think they're doing is abandoning the idea they've pushed for the past few E3's of doing a big conference for the whole mass audience. It never fails to piss off hardcore gamers who don't realize it's not for them, but for the people who read USA Today and such.

Every year though they've usually followed that up with a smaller scale roundtable focusing specifically on core games knowing that their core fanbase will glean that information through the traditional gaming media. I think what they're doing this year is dispensing with the big press conference and just putting all their information where the core gamers will eventually find it.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if this'll affect Nintendo's exposure to the mass audience, which the Wii U desperately needs right now. Maybe they've got other ideas on how to get that info out to the big news outlets.

DaBoss

Direct don't even come close to E3. E3 is the only time of the year when media take notices of gaming news. Even the news in my country open up with the announcements, like Kinnect or Wii.

Direct is for the people who is really into this. I just don't know what are they thinking, and the spin from some fellow gaffers is just unbelievable.

This is true.

I... really don't think E3 is so prohibitively expensive that it's a cost concern. E3 is the one media event the industry has that actually attracts some degree of attention from the mainstream. Minimizing their presence there will do the floundering WiiU no favors.

I'm pretty sure it is pretty expensive with all of the time and money spent on it. I'm guessing they don't see it being worth it. I guess they'll find out the result of that soon.

Exact Statement
I like it. It solves all of the complaints about how these events were starting to get bogged down by sales figures and charts. Every year threads have pages of "JUST SHOW GAMES" and "UGH MORE CHARTS".

I don't know exactly what they're planning but I like the fact that they're trying to shake things up and get the information to the people that are interested in it more directly.

Nilaul

E3? NO! TIMES SQUARE NY conference, free entry. That would be bigger then E3. It would surely make a bigger splash and they could advertise a few of their existing games. Demos would be available in booths. Nintendo Store and on Eshop.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not hosting a conference during the world's biggest gaming event shows weakness and incompetence.

Not only it damages your image, but it also creates less hype and awareness.

Why is everyone else abandoning E3 for their "big" events? PS4, Xbox 720 - these major events are not being synchronized with E3.

E3 has been dragging for years; in fact, people seem to have made a game of voting on whether Sony or MS will have the most boring or grating press conference each time. (With Nintendo being off in space compared to everyone else.)

Did Microsoft really make any "hype" when they made their E3 conference about Kinect and embarrassing stage shows? It was dismal, but it didn't affect 360 awareness or sales.

JWong

Banned
No press conference? Sounds like a smart idea because they obviously will not get any spotlight room from the other two.

Top Bottom