• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahorel

This is why I like EZA being so personality driven over them being "professional" or whatever the complaint was earlier. By the time the podcast drops, I'm already ahead of the news & just want to hear what the panel of the week has to say. That, and the L&R section.

Exactly. Being on GAF all the time gets you all the announcements. But I eagerly await the Allies' discussions on the subject whenever they come

ilium

Never realized the term immersive sim was so contentious.
I agree that it may sound redundant and unnecessarily descriptive by itself, but I think it made a lot more sense when it was established and in the context of what it was trying to do.
Look at how most games in 91/92 looked and played like (especially RPGs).
Ultima Underworld let you loose in an 3-dimensional space, supported by systems that many games miss even today. Everything in the game was there to facilitate your suspension of disbelieve as much as possible.
You could freely roam a moody underground dungeon in first person and look up and down (radical!), actual physics engine with real projectiles (in '92!), player momentum (almost never to bee seen again in videogames), real time combat with different swing trajectories, fiddling in your bag without pausing the game, having to figure out lizard language, non-linear quest design, eating & sleeping etc..
The desired illusion was YOU being there and figuring out stuff as you would if you really were. A simulation of a world to be as immersive as possible.

Sure, videogames today are immersive (and always simulations in itself) but I'd argue that's mostly due to much more refined audiovisual qualities rather than interlocking systems that let creative and unexpected (even to the developer) solutions emerge.
And I think this "player authored gameplay" based on interdependent systems and consistent rules is the most important thread holding those games together.

"Why can't I do that?"
Well, in Immersive Sims you probably can.*

*Confined by what's technologically/economically possible.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is "immersive sim" really a widespread thing? I've literally never seen that phrase/genre mentioned outside of EZA/Huber.

I've heard it mentioned in other podcasts which took me by surprise and made me wonder if Huber spread it cause I definitely heard it from EZA first but I think their guess that it's from something like a GDC talk or some word uttered somewhere that somehow got buzz seems more likely.

dock

Just started listening to this podcast. I like the format with the moderator, but I can't tell the hosts apart, and I don't know anyone's name yet.

The OP refers to nine different people... I don't know how anyone keeps anyone straight. Are they famous elsewhere for something?

ilium

Is "immersive sim" really a widespread thing? I've literally never seen that phrase/genre mentioned outside of EZA/Huber.

I always thought the term was standard repertoire among the videogame community, but apparently I was wrong. ^^
Not sure when it first emerged, but I've been using it for a long time, never struck me as particularly obscure in the PC space back in the day.
Then again, many of its' elements have diffused into different videogames/genre over the years and they were never super popular and set charts on fire, so...

Edit: The earliest mention I can find is from a Deus Ex postmortem by Warren Spector in 2000.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just started listening to this podcast. I like the format with the moderator, but I can't tell the hosts apart, and I don't know anyone's name yet.

Is this podcast related to something else that's popular or famous? I don't know their website.

Not sure what you mean with related to popular or famous but the people doing the podcasts are ex Gametrailers. 9 of them reformed as EasyAllies and have been doing this thing for a year since the closure of Gametrailers now.

Bahorel

The OP refers to nine different people... I don't know how anyone keeps anyone straight. Are they famous elsewhere for something?

They've been around for a while so people have gotten to know them over time. when it's video format it's probably easier to learn their personalities than audio alone, but one of them, Don, is never on the podcast and Jones and Kyle will always be there. The other six rotate and usually go together in the same pairs in rotation.

Auctopus

I'll admit, the OP is a little newcomer unfriendly at times. I'm working on a new version for OT3 but you'll get used to their voices eventually. There's also only 4 people on a podcast at a time.

I'll admit, the OP is a little newcomer unfriendly at times. I'm working on a new version for OT3 but you'll get used to their voices eventually. There's also only 4 people on a podcast at a time.

Yeah it might be helpful to have actual pictures of the Allies for their bios, not sketches.

Mikey Jr.

We've been watching these guys for like half a decade at this point.

They used to work at the now defunct Gametrailers.com

Auctopus

Yeah it might be helpful to have actual pictures of the Allies for their bios, not sketches.

I agree, I just found those sketches a little more conforming to the style over the OT and they're pretty accurate.

It's a little difficult to find good profile photos of each of the Allies that aren't just awkward, LQ caps from a podcast.

WarRock

I mean, there was a good 99% chance the other cheat codes on GameFAQs were discovered by tinkering with the game's code, considering how low key it is the ROM should be easily messed it, even more being a DS game. Wish Damiani's source was more clear about how those codes were public, or where.

What really got me is that there is another creature racing game on the handheld, and five years before Koei's Moster Racers. What the hell, I may have to track it down just for the novelty of it.

demu

Exactly. Being on GAF all the time gets you all the announcements. But I eagerly await the Allies' discussions on the subject whenever they come
True, but it's pretty disappointing if they then don't actually talk about the news. I mean, a segment last week was literally called "News I Don't Want To Talk About".
I always thought the news discussions are the main focus of the EZA Podcast, but that shifted quite a bit in recent weeks. I love me some cool L&R questions or games, I really do, but imo the news part should always be the biggest.

And to dismiss opinions or criticisms only because they were posted on YouTube is really ignorant and rubs me the wrong way. As if feedback posted on NeoGAF is in any way more valuable.

Bahorel

We've been watching these guys for like half a decade at this point.

They used to work at the now defunct Gametrailers.com

Yes this is my 8th year with them, been a long road. Started watching them when I first got back into gaming during college and bought my Wii

Karu

You'd think winning 90% of the time Damiani would be graceful in defeat, but he's such a terrible loser. "This game sucks". Just not bothering the second he realises he's going to lose. Pausing during a Huber attack to see if he can change controls.

He did something similar during that final ever Wii U stream in Mario Kart. The moment he fell behind he put the controller down and gave up.

Like a petulant little child.
I have to say, when Kyle said he player MK offscreen I was a bit pissed (as much as one can and should be in such a Situation, so not.. that much haha), for one because he stopped putting the names up. Not a big issue in itself, but super weird in context regardless. Of course, Damiani could have had a bad day, so... it's all cool, I guess.

EZA Podcast - I tend to praise that one no matter what, it's that good. But I can't deny that it lost a bit of its ... energy?
I don't really know what I'm fucking talking about man :D

I have been watching GT since sometime in the Shatterfield era, stopped when all the lay-offs hit and young weirdos like Ben and Ian appeared. First impressions are so funny sometimes. What was it, Thank you for Playing? when it was with segments at different places in the office and stuff. Ben critized something in an off-putting way to me and me being all stupid was like "Nah man, where's ma Invisible Walls!!??"
And here I am lol.

dickroach

Watched Game Sleuth. It was underwhelming.

Now, I do like the video and I found the info and reasearch well presented as always, but it's such a uninteresting topic, one of the nichest games one could choose. I guess the one fan who asked for this ever since GT was a thing will be happy... but man after more than 6 months of wait time it's kind of a bummer. If Game Sleuth was monthly or bi-monthly I'd say whatever, cool episode about an obscure game, but thinking it may take another 6 months for another one... =/

Also, it's weird because Michael was lamenting the disheartening low views, but this episode definitely won't get the numbers up for the show.

yeah..... yeah.
the first episode in what feels like forever is about a game NO ONE has heard of because one guy asked about it years ago? really weird decision.
this is something I could have seen being an April Fools Pop Fiction episode. a tease at the end of a March episode: "the episode everyone's been waiting for...." and then it's Dragon Booster DS.

Never heard of the game, never heard of the cartoon and the conclusion to the video was underwhelming.
Coming off the GTA one, it was a disappointment.

Visceir

They've got all their podcasts up on youtube too, might be a lot to ask but if you're interested you could just give the video version a try where you can see them.

Auctopus

I was planning on ducking the Outlast II stream as Outlast was one of my favourite horrors of recent years and I wanted to experience it for myself first.

However, after reading several reviews - it sounds like the developer has doubled down on design choices that I sort of hated in the original game. I think I'll have more fun watching Huber and Bosman - especially due to Bosman's original Outlast stream.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Man that game sleuth was disappointing. Really obscure topic, mystery wasn't very interesting and the ending didn't really have a good hook. Bummer that's the only one in 6 months.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Freaking really with that Game Sleuth? Is this a troll to patrons? Time to put the series on the shelf and work on something else if this is where we're at with ideas, holy crap

Hasney

Freaking really with that Game Sleuth? Is this a troll to patrons? Time to put the series on the shelf and work on something else if this is where we're at with ideas, holy crap

I don't get how you look at it as a troll. It's a wonderfully obscure game and was requested by a fan before GT even shut down. It's pretty nice.

Naythan

You'd think winning 90% of the time Damiani would be graceful in defeat, but he's such a terrible loser. "This game sucks". Just not bothering the second he realises he's going to lose. Pausing during a Huber attack to see if he can change controls.

He did something similar during that final ever Wii U stream in Mario Kart. The moment he fell behind he put the controller down and gave up.

Like a petulant little child.

Hey, buddy, you think you might be taking this a little too seriously? If you care about this more than the actual Allies playing do, you might want to rethink your priorities. No need for name calling.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I don't get how you look at it as a troll. It's a wonderfully obscure game and was requested by a fan before GT even shut down. It's pretty nice.
It was pretty nice of Damiani to leverage his industry contacts for that fan, for sure. But to get an already stretched-thin Jones on it as well as a national treasure like Don who could be working on other magical things, and to take 6 months to put it together? Really? Come on man

ShadyK54

It was pretty nice of Damiani to leverage his industry contacts for that fan, for sure. But to get an already stretched-thin Jones on it as well as a national treasure like Don who could be working on other magical things, and to take 6 months to put it together? Really? Come on man

EHerSZd.gif

I'm curious as to what things people would like to see Game Sleuthed, if there haven't been any suggestions already. Until then, I think people should calm down & not take this so so seriously & give feedback without resorting to "Y U WAIZT TYME ON DIS" complaints.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm curious as to what things people would like to see Game Sleuthed, if there haven't been any suggestions already. Until then, I think people should calm down & not take this so so seriously & give feedback without resorting to "Y U WAIZT TYME ON DIS" complaints.
Resorting? Like it's an invalid avenue of critique? Just because you're sick of hearing it doesn't mean it's not true, dude

To your point, I don't want to see anything Game Sleuthed anymore, I said that above. I'd like to see him work on something fresh and glance at the dang clock every once in a while

Kneefoil

I doubt Damiani feels like he needs to take as big of a break after this one as he did after the GTAV one just because the amount of work that went into that one. I'm still expecting the next ep to take at least 2-3 months due to E3 and jank, though.

ShadyK54

Resorting? Like it's an invalid avenue of critique? Just because you're sick of hearing it doesn't mean it's not true, dude

To your point, I don't want to see anything Game Sleuthed anymore, I said that above. I'd like to see him work on something fresh and glance at the dang clock every once in a while

Sorry, but reading back over your posts, I'm having a hard time seeing where the "critique" is. They come off kind of childish, and it just reads like you're upset that the content of the Game Sleuth isn't what you wanted.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sorry, but reading back over your posts, I'm having a hard time seeing where the "critique" is. They come off kind of childish, and it just reads like you're upset that the content of the Game Sleuth isn't what you wanted.
I appreciate your critique

Wouldnt games like Shenmue, Animal Crossing, The Sims, and Tomodachi life be defined as "immersive sims"?

From GB
An influential school of game design established by Looking Glass Studios, in which the player is free to act as they choose in a richly simulated world. The term was coined by Warren Spector in his Deus Ex post-mortem.
Immersive sims are primarily concerned with making players feel as though they are truly experiencing a believable world by creating mechanics that feel appropriate and logical within the game world and try to avoid feeling arbitrarily 'Gamey'.

This school of game design was established by Looking Glass Studios with Thief, Underworld, and System Shock. The concept of immersive sims is still alive today in games such as BioShock, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Dishonored.

Defining elements

It should be noted that not all of these characteristics are necessarily required for games to fall into this category

Immersion in an elaborate and believable game world.
Simulation: physics and AI are used to create believable behavior in objects and characters which the player can freely interact with, resulting in 'emergent gameplay'.
First-person perspective so as to truly look through the eyes of the protagonist.
Game design that allows for multiple paths and/or multiple solutions in every situation.
A systemic game world that keeps track of the player's actions, which can affect the "whole" game.
open-ended/non-linear game design with an emphasis on choice and consequence.
Full control over the player's character in every situation.
A world with consistent rules that the player can interact with.
Narrative that is not always forced on the player, but instead can be told through exploration and gameplay at that players will.
No fail states, beyond player death

Shenmue is the closest from your suggestions.

Mikey Jr.

Maybe damiani is a secret genius?

Maybe there is like a forum that has a ton of these dragon show fans, and of course they'll post this video on there, and it'll draw a whole forum to them? I have no idea.

Hey, buddy, you think you might be taking this a little too seriously? If you care about this more than the actual Allies playing do, you might want to rethink your priorities. No need for name calling.

Yeah, buddy, I'm taking it real seriously. I was unable to get any sleep last night just thinking about it.

I don't take any of this stuff seriously, doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what I watch. Is no one allowed to laugh along with their stuff either? Or would that be getting too invested in their shows/streams?

I say what I see (if you see it, say it (it's good but it's not right!)), and what I saw during that match was embarrassing for a grown man.

Or should I have just said "THE SALT!!!!111" whatever the fuck that means.

Enjoyed the newest Huber Syndrome.

The F&F movies always wanna make me play a game with crazy car action and heists. Something that truly combines NFS Underground 2 with something like GTAV.

He really had his car jacked? Damn, that's rough. :(

Mista Koo

Genre names are arbitrary and inconsistant. Feel free to call things whatever you like.

Except they never actually care about group streams. And it makes sense for patrons to care about the thing they are "patroning" a lot?

Budi

Never realized the term immersive sim was so contentious.
I agree that it may sound redundant and unnecessarily descriptive by itself, but I think it made a lot more sense when it was established and in the context of what it was trying to do.
Look at how most games in 91/92 looked and played like (especially RPGs).
Ultima Underworld let you loose in an 3-dimensional space, supported by systems that many games miss even today. Everything in the game was there to facilitate your suspension of disbelieve as much as possible.
You could freely roam a moody underground dungeon in first person and look up and down (radical!), actual physics engine with real projectiles (in '92!), player momentum (almost never to bee seen again in videogames), real time combat with different swing trajectories, fiddling in your bag without pausing the game, having to figure out lizard language, non-linear quest design, eating & sleeping etc..
The desired illusion was YOU being there and figuring out stuff as you would if you really were. A simulation of a world to be as immersive as possible.

Sure, videogames today are immersive (and always simulations in itself) but I'd argue that's mostly due to much more refined audiovisual qualities rather than interlocking systems that let creative and unexpected (even to the developer) solutions emerge.
And I think this "player authored gameplay" based on interdependent systems and consistent rules is the most important thread holding those games together.

"Why can't I do that?"
Well, in Immersive Sims you probably can.*

*Confined by what's technologically/economically possible.

Thanks for this post, it was a great read! I was surprised to see Allies reaction to the term myself too and wanted to say something about it.

Edit: About Game Sleuth, just as high quality as the earlier ones. I don't mind at all if the game is obscure, there's a big chance the video would be about something I'm not personally invested in even if it was about some big game like Zelda and GTA. But I agree that these could come out a bit faster. There's so many shows already with them "just talking" that I have a real hunger for this kind of high quality and high effort content. Loved to hear them talk about Nintendo memories in Friend Code though, are other Allies going to share their personal memories later too?

MrMette

I enjoyed the game sleuth ep. I understand where people are coming from, but the quality was the same as it always has been. I think it's nice he did something a fan asked years ago.

Sure, it took a lot of time for this ep, but I didn't really see anything wrong with it.
It did grab me less then the GTA V one did (because I didn't know the game), but I don't see why all content should be catered to me personally. I still enjoyed it a lot (I enjoyed the podcast as well btw, I don't really get the criticisms of that one to be honest, I think they were all engaged in the conversation).

Also, no problem in people saying how they feel about episodes or allies (people have different tastes), but there is no reason to start attacking people directly (especially as a lot of them read this thread). Give them your opinion the way you would if you were standing right before them. Also, it is more helpful if it's constructive criticism. Tell them what changes you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom