• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some additional Dark Souls 2 details

Yeah, that part sucked. Nothing else wrong with the game though.

Demon's had more trial and error. More times where I feel you WILL die no matter how cautious you are. Like the mindflayers in latria. No way to know what the hell those guys are capable of until you die by them a few times. Or the dragon in 1-2. And 1-4. How are you supposed to just know how to run past his flames? Or that's even possible to run past them at all? Even when you do figure out how to run past them, it doesn't seem like something you should be able to do. Totally counterintuitive.
That moment for me came with the Skull Lantern, equipped in right hand does no sh*t so i had to do the Tomb of Giants with no light. Bad design right there my friend.

linko9

They had warping in Demon's Souls. They had warping in Dark Souls. It didn't ruin either game.

The structure of this game is based on Dark, not Demons so really it makes more sense to compare to Dark. In Dark souls, warping was not unlocked until a good ways into the game. I think that's the way to do it. And "ruined" isn't the same as "not quite as good." I don't want either to happen. Obviously I don't think warping would ruin the game, no one's saying that.

The structure of this game is based on Dark, not Demons so really it makes more sense to compare to Dark. In Dark souls, warping was not unlocked until a good ways into the game. I think that's the way to do it. And "ruined" isn't the same as "not quite as good." I don't want either to happen. Obviously I don't think warping would ruin the game, no one's saying that.
But you are not thinking in absolutes, first rule of internet disscussion is to speak in a binary love/hate way. So what are you doing?

Having from the get go will only add another safety net to the player, so it gives an extra bit of confidence, which works in detriment of what the game is all about. It won't brake the game but it could make it less "engaging".

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Never happened. As a black phantom, you could actually kill all the enemies on a level and they would never attack you.

Oh yeah! That could make for some funny instances I guess. But it's bad enough when a summon goes off by himself and clears an area for you (especially if you're new to the area). The idea of a "friendly troll" is a tricky one...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvienbZxLk

The guy in this video talks a bit about dual wielding. Sounds pretty cool except the bit where apparently you can't parry. Fuuuu I hope that's wrong and you can parry with some weapons.... in other words, I just want dual kats again. :D

That moment for me came with the Skull Lantern, equipped in right hand does no sh*t so i had to do the Tomb of Giants with no light. Bad design right there my friend.

What kind of derp would wear the lantern in the same hand as his weapon? The lantern was clearly meant to be used in the left hand, jesus...

Haha there's your problem

What? How else would it work? You want to go through the Tomb without being able to attack anything? It needs to be in the off hand.

Come on guys, are you actually reading the quote in the OP? Where does it say that invasions will be possible in every boss fight? Has a director walked up to you on the show floor and told you that? It specifically says this is a unique feature of the Mirror Knight boss, which will be absolutely awesome. So please quit getting your panties into a bunch about Nothing.

Btw, are you sure that regular enemies attacked Black Phantoms in Demon's? I never played that online as much as Dark, but it sounds like a weird idea... part of the fun of being the cheeky invader is to use the environment/enemies to your advantage.

I don't know, but invaders can definitely kill enemies. A few weeks back I got invaded in 4-2 only for the invader to completely ignore me and clear the whole level for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What? How else would it work? You want to go through the Tomb without being able to attack anything? It needs to be in the off hand.
Common sense. But let's blame the game for not telling the babby gamer what to do, haha. (Btw, I think ctkayedisto was agreeing with me.)

I don't know, but invaders can definitely kill enemies. A few weeks back I got invaded in 4-2 only for the invader to completely ignore me and clear the whole level for me.
In Demon's Souls, aye. But in Dark Souls, invaders cannot interact with enemies.

kortez320

This sounds sooo good. I pray to baby jesus everyday Miyazaki (?) not being in charge won't hurt this game. Sounding and looking pretty damn good so far.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I thought the reason why they didn't put in a fight like the old monk fight in Dark Souls was 'cause people felt the invader mechanic was too imbalanced for a boss fight. Makes me think they're probably gonna handicap the invader this time around, somehow.

It seems like they might've planned an Old Monk-esque boss fight for Dark Souls that never made it in, ultimately. A good while back some people dumped all of the text strings from the game and included in the portion of the file containing all of the names of the bosses was one called "Gravelord Servant" that never gets used in the game. Given how the Gravelord covenant works it might've been for a PvP boss fight that didn't make it to the final game.

You have a weapon in the second slot, so when something lurches at you from the darkness, you block it, then tear them up with your stowed weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Count me in as someone who doesn't like warp points being available too early.
Don't forget multiple types of health regen. Gotta get that Skyrim audience.
Seems like those stones act like Elizabeth's mushrooms... I sure hope they're very limited, though.

Arjen

Don't forget multiple types of health regen. Gotta get that Skyrim audience.

There were health regen items in Dark Souls.
Sanctus, Butcher Knife, Ring of the evil eye, Replenishment.
They're showing off a tough boss fight, which in retail spwans invaders as well, and you're still thinking they're going the easy route?

Zaventem

There were health regen items in Dark Souls.
Sanctus, Butcher Knife, Ring of the evil eye, Replenishment.
They're showing off a tough boss fight, which in retail spwans invaders as well, and you're still thinking they're going the easy route?

Th biggest culprit of them all humanity with the instant heal that people had 99 stacks of. ignore the troll. People like him would keep bashing the game until they get their hands on it and make a statement like *wow i never thought it would be good!*

Could just be that most game "journalists" aren't actually that good at games.

There were two demos, regular and godmode for them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

fanboi

Banned
General demographic of causes of death in Dark Souls:
  • 1.2% - Invaders.
  • 2.1% - "What the-- oh."
  • 3.0% - "Oops."
  • 3.7% - "FUUUU--"
  • 45% - Smough
  • 45% - Ornstein

I have a hard time deciding on builds, where to put stats, what weapons to use, etc, so forcing myself to use whoever starts at SL1 and whatever they can actually equip is a great way to learn my way around.

I definitely agree about knowledge being the greatest weapon one can have, but can't forget the
fire reinforced hand axe for Four Kings.

Fitting description for Smough and Ornstein:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3d94pxVRQU

Go to 2.30ish.

Caerith

But you are not thinking in absolutes, first rule of internet disscussion is to speak in a binary love/hate way. So what are you doing?

Having from the get go will only add another safety net to the player, so it gives an extra bit of confidence, which works in detriment of what the game is all about. It won't brake the game but it could make it less "engaging".
Some people go to Nito before they get the Lordvessel. Stupid, I know, but maybe they didn't read the wikis and walkthroughs first and instead got all the way down there and used the bonfire.

Some people use the bonfires in Ash Lake. You can get there before even ringing a bell.

Is it even possible to climb back up? I wouldn't know, I always had warping by then.

Bonfires, by virtue of even existing, already added a safety net, already give an extra bit of confidence that works in detriment to what some people think the game is all about. Levels are riddled with bonfires in Dark Souls. Where did you get your checkpoints in Demon's Souls? Oh yes, after the bosses.

I agree that having warp right from the start is a bad idea if it includes warping to all the minor little bonfires. The major area-start ones are okay, the myriad checkpoint ones not so much.

I agree that having warp disincentivizes the exploration and shortcut-creation aspect of the game-- part of the reason Demon's Souls "You Died - Go To Start Do Not Collect 200 Souls" policy was bearable was because you unlocked all sorts of shortcuts throughout the level. 1-1 is a perfect example: you have to go all over Boletaria, but by the end you've opened gates so you just need to walk forward 200 feet from start to boss. Warp-from-start would also mean nobody figuring out the trick to returning to the Asylum.

If it was up to me, I'd have warping available from the start, but only to the Firelink Shrine equivalent. That way, if you fall down some bottomless hole like the Great Hollow, at least you can get back out again. I'd also allow warping to the major hub bonfires only (not the rinky dink checkpoint ones), provided you have unlocked all the shortcuts to and from them-- turn on the elevator, lower the bridge, open the gate, and then (since you can pretty much skip the area anyway) you can warp.

Not that From is listening to us. Maybe we need #NoEasyWarp hashtags or something.

Some people go to Nito before they get the Lordvessel. Stupid, I know, but maybe they didn't read the wikis and walkthroughs first and instead got all the way down there and used the bonfire.

Some people use the bonfires in Ash Lake. You can get there before even ringing a bell.

Is it even possible to climb back up? I wouldn't know, I always had warping by then.

Bonfires, by virtue of even existing, already added a safety net, already give an extra bit of confidence that works in detriment to what some people think the game is all about. Levels are riddled with bonfires in Dark Souls. Where did you get your checkpoints in Demon's Souls? Oh yes, after the bosses.

I agree that having warp right from the start is a bad idea if it includes warping to all the minor little bonfires. The major area-start ones are okay, the myriad checkpoint ones not so much.

I agree that having warp disincentivizes the exploration and shortcut-creation aspect of the game-- part of the reason Demon's Souls "You Died - Go To Start Do Not Collect 200 Souls" policy was bearable was because you unlocked all sorts of shortcuts throughout the level. 1-1 is a perfect example: you have to go all over Boletaria, but by the end you've opened gates so you just need to walk forward 200 feet from start to boss. Warp-from-start would also mean nobody figuring out the trick to returning to the Asylum.

If it was up to me, I'd have warping available from the start, but only to the Firelink Shrine equivalent. That way, if you fall down some bottomless hole like the Great Hollow, at least you can get back out again. I'd also allow warping to the major hub bonfires only (not the rinky dink checkpoint ones), provided you have unlocked all the shortcuts to and from them-- turn on the elevator, lower the bridge, open the gate, and then (since you can pretty much skip the area anyway) you can warp.

Not that From is listening to us. Maybe we need #NoEasyWarp hashtags or something.

how about just letting from software make the game they want to make

it seems to have gotten them pretty far

Hypron

It's possible, believe me. I had to climb that shit while having been cursed twice. It was a painful experience.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
how about just letting from software make the game they want to make

it seems to have gotten them pretty far

Thank you.

I hope that hashtag comment was meant as a joke. It's difficult enough maintaining perfect communication between a Japanese developer and western publisher, who still has to filter through an inordinate amount of crap before they get to the real needs of the real fans overseas. Not to menion the devs themselves might be cutting through an awful lot of domestic feedback of the same vein.

Caerith

Thank you.

I hope that hashtag comment was meant as a joke. It's difficult enough maintaining perfect communication between a Japanese developer and western publisher, who still has to filter through an inordinate amount of crap before they get to the real needs of the real fans overseas. Not to menion the devs themselves might be cutting through an awful lot of domestic feedback of the same vein.
Not really meant as a joke, more of a "put your money where your mouth is." If so many people are so upset that Dark Souls is ruined forever because of this feature or that, then why shouldn't they get organized and communicate their concerns to the developers? It's more productive than bitching on a forum about things that we don't know any details about.

Personally, I'm happy with what I've seen and heard about Dark Souls II, and the only thing I'd want to change is the release date.

Ill Saint

It would indeed be disappointing if warping is available right from the start. I loved the way shortcuts opened up in DkS, and I honestly loved running through the connected world, seeing if I could find any little corners or ledges or hidden away areas I missed the first (or second, third etc.) time around. It was beautifully handled, and gave the game a magical sense of exploration and discovery that would be very compromised by a 'fast travel' style system. But I do trust FROM to get the balance right. Fingers crossed.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Nice one. I must admit I didn't read the whole of your post before, and sort of knee-jerked.

I'm not as passionate about many games/series as I am Souls, and I'm just worried that with the recent rise of the "entitled gamer", along with the new "guns blazing" approach to marketing by Bamco, From will find themselves in a rather big pond of people to impress and will end up falling short of the mark.

More attention can be a good thing, and if others with strong concerns wish to voice them, then fine. But I can't help picturing From getting pulled at both ends. We didn't get nearly this kind of exposure and hype for Dark Souls, and even less so for Demon's; and now this is what we're faced with all of a sudden. People want to know everything. The creators come to E3 amidst all the grandeur and promise of next-gen, showing their game to be released next year for current systems. Seems like a bold move, and I think we should be lucky to have seen anything more at this point.

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant. Basically, I'm just thankful for people who can still sit back and say "good, it's getting made" or "I trust them".

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

The way it is worded it looks like it's warp to any bonfire.

"In a rare example of mercy, the developers have also added a true teleportation system. Explorers can instantly travel between any of the bonfires they’ve discovered across the game world, alleviating much of the tedious—and perilous—travel required by the original, in which only a fraction of bonfires offered warping."

I hope I'm not reading too much into it, but the way it is worded might imply also warping from anywhere, not just at bonfires?

Sickbean

I don't like the sound of being able to warp from the beginning. The whole interlocking structure of the game would be broken - this was the biggest improvement from Demons imho.

Baha

It's possible, believe me. I had to climb that shit while having been cursed twice. It was a painful experience.

qJ99ccX.jpg

You might want to reread the OP: it's just the Mirror Knight. His gimmick is summoning black phantoms from his shield.

Yeah, I own up to misreading that. Was in a hurry while I was on a break at work. If it's an Old Monk style fight that's awesome.

But I could have swore in my times getting invaded in 1-3 in Demon's that those mobs went for BPs too once aggro'd by me. I knew they could kill them at least.

Clevinger

I don't like the sound of being able to warp from the beginning. The whole interlocking structure of the game would be broken - this was the biggest improvement from Demons imho.

Don't use it. You can tediously run back and forth from places to your heart's content. The only way this would be bad, to me, is if they didn't make the world interconnected again, which doesn't sound the case.

I'll happily use it once backtracking gets boring - which it will, same as Dark Souls 1.

By the way, I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Vaati noticed that you're able to extinguish bondfires (?). So there might be some kind of trade off with only so many active bonfires or something. Who knows.

Zaventem

By the way, I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Vaati noticed that you're able to extinguish bondfires (?). So there might be some kind of trade off with only so many active bonfires or something. Who knows.

That's the smoke is actually the new animation for warping. Someone on gamefaqs played it at E3 and gave his impressions, i'll condense the info.

•The gameplay demo had a sorcerer run through the previous level we've seen but he made those turtle knights break a wall to create a secret room with a bonfire that let him warp. The smoke covering the bonfire seen in new trailer is warping animation.

•Mirror Knight. Very tough boss who can deflect magic with the shield and can summon help. PR guy said it was just AI for the demo which must mean it's meant to be other players ala Old Monk. Seems it can summon multiple players if you dillydally long enough. The mirror knight, he summons a player really quickly. Like 5 seconds from start to finish.

•Your character and the enemies seem slightly larger than in DS. Jump moved to L3.

•Different herbs, Amber and Twilight. These could be used while in green blossom buff he's not sure what it does. Green blossoms are back. The stamina penalties seemed much harsher, even after using a blossom.
•Magic, L2 does slower but more powerful version of the spell. New magic buff was called something like Astounding Ooze

bj00rn_

Banned
General demographic of causes of death in Dark Souls:
  • 1.2% - Invaders.
  • 2.1% - "What the-- oh."
  • 3.0% - "Oops."
  • 3.7% - "FUUUU--"
  • 45% - Smough
  • 45% - Ornstein

Even on NG+ I did those two infamous guys with relative easy. But for some reason I just can't do the four kings (on NG+ that is, first run was easy)..

Hindle

Banned
I never actually got to the Old Monk in Demon Souls, my PS3 broke before I could. Anyway could someone explain how the mirror boss is similar to the Old Monk?

Sullichin

I never actually got to the Old Monk in Demon Souls, my PS3 broke before I could. Anyway could someone explain how the mirror boss is similar to the Old Monk?

The old monk summons another player to fight in his place if he can, otherwise you fight against AI. As the invader you can use your weapon/setup but you have the old monks robe on your head and you auto-cast a version of homing soulmass.

Could just be that most game "journalists" aren't actually that good at games.

Uh, er, first time hands-on, new mechanics, new area, new danger, they're tired, hung-over, loud distractions, and a ton of shit to do for the rest of the day.

Don't be That Guy.

That's the smoke is actually the new animation for warping. Someone on gamefaqs played it at E3 and gave his impressions, i'll condense the info.

•The gameplay demo had a sorcerer run through the previous level we've seen but he made those turtle knights break a wall to create a secret room with a bonfire that let him warp. The smoke covering the bonfire seen in new trailer is warping animation.

•Mirror Knight. Very tough boss who can deflect magic with the shield and can summon help. PR guy said it was just AI for the demo which must mean it's meant to be other players ala Old Monk. Seems it can summon multiple players if you dillydally long enough. The mirror knight, he summons a player really quickly. Like 5 seconds from start to finish.

•Your character and the enemies seem slightly larger than in DS. Jump moved to L3.

•Different herbs, Amber and Twilight. These could be used while in green blossom buff he's not sure what it does. Green blossoms are back. The stamina penalties seemed much harsher, even after using a blossom.
•Magic, L2 does slower but more powerful version of the spell. New magic buff was called something like Astounding Ooze

@Mirror Knight: Imagine if we are all Black Phantoms to each other in this fight with the boss ending up the wild card. WINNER TAKE ALL!

@Magic: STICKY WHITE STUFF!!!

I didn't even know that was possible. Isn't one of the catacombs doors sealed before you place the Lordvessel?

Top Bottom