• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

Man first episode BANG! off to the races. Dark stuff and I'm loving it. Wish I didn't have to work I'd marathon a bunch more right now. Can't wait to get home and start on episode 2

Looks great, I'll check it out for sure.

Seriously, Laura Linney is a bigger draw than Michael Bluth.

seriously.

jason bateman was great in Arrested Development in that he was an actually pretty entertaining "every man" in a house full of crazies [hard role to pull of].

but otherwise, he's SO. BORING.

now Laura Linney on the other hand...

woah, didn't realize this was out, excited to have something new to check out tonight!

Kadayi

Banned
I've been giving this a bit of a binge and I have to say I'm enjoying it (very moreish). Good to see Bateman in a straight role, Linney is always excellent, plus Julia Garner is great as a white trash schemer looking for her payday. I certainly wouldn't say it's BB calibre, but it's compelling.

The first episode covers so much ground it's impressive. So I figured episode two we'd slow down....nope. It's just jam packed with character developments and forward movement. I really hope this maintains this pace and quality, as this is one of the better shows I've seen this year.

Edit:I went to read Sepinwall's review of this:"The first two hours are a chore..."

My mind is blown. I won't waste my time making a spoiler list of the amount of plot developments brought up in the first two episodes that would've taken Bloodline two seasons to resolve, but I can't imagine we're watching the same show.

Ah, so glowing impressions all round. Definitely tempted to give this a shot. Sounds like another direct hit for Netflix.

Everyone check out Glow. That's another awesome show from them. Enjoyed that one.

The first episode covers so much ground it's impressive. So I figured episode two we'd slow down....nope. It's just jam packed with character developments and forward movement. I really hope this maintains this pace and quality, as this is one of the better shows I've seen this year.

Edit:I went to read Sepinwall's review of this:"The first two hours are a chore..."

My mind is blown. I won't waste my time making a spoiler list of the amount of plot developments brought up in the first two episodes that would've taken Bloodline two seasons to resolve, but I can't imagine we're watching the same show.
Where do you think the mixed reviews are coming from? The more negative ones are saying similar things: slow pace, cliched, good but not really that good, etc.

Where do you think the mixed reviews are coming from? The more negative ones are saying similar things: slow pace, cliched, good but not really that good, etc.

I hadn't paid attention to the reviews. To each their own. I see no reason to compare this to Breaking Bad, which was brilliant and yet unbelievably slow and procedural....where as the first eps of this are breakneck in comparison.

Man, this feels like The Counselor meets Breaking Bad with Justin Bateman and Laura Linney fucking rocking it. I'm only three episodes in but I'm loving it so far. Best new Netflix show I've watched since the first season of Bloodline.

Rhoc

3 episodes in and I'm loving it. A lot of different and awesome characters in this. Bateman is killing it as always.

sfedai0

Banned
0-100 in the first episode. This is like Breaking Bad in reverse and even darker. Halfway through and loving it. So glad this was on Netflix and we can binge.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Two episodes in and I know I'll be finishing this. Liking it. Bateman has delivered so far.

Kadayi

Banned
Fully Binged. Took some interesting directions I didn't expect, definitely up for a second season if it gets greenlit.

For those who have watched it all can you tell me if there is any animal cruelty in the show? I remember seeing something in the trailer with an animal yelping. My wife will immediately stop watching anything with animal cruelty in it. I try to reason with her that it is just a show but she cant stand to watch anything with an animal getting hurt. She almost stopped watching Stranger Things due to the cat scene. Thank goodness nothing happened in that scene.

For those who have watched it all can you tell me if there is any animal cruelty in the show? I remember seeing something in the trailer with an animal yelping. My wife will immediately stop watching anything with animal cruelty in it. I try to reason with her that it is just a show but she cant stand to watch anything with an animal getting hurt. She almost stopped watching Stranger Things due to the cat scene. Thank goodness nothing happened in that scene.

Yeah, there have been a few moments so far where people are abusing animal corpses. I'm not finished, but so far I don't think I've seen any live animals get hurt.

A woman throws an animal corpse at a neighbor, and a kid cuts up dead animals.

ERotIC

Banned
I'm three episodes in and really digging it. I'm surprised that critics are kind of mixed on this one. It feels like a really subversive take on the Breaking Bad formula.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, there have been a few moments so far where people are abusing animal corpses. I'm not finished, but so far I don't think I've seen any live animals get hurt.

I'd add this. Which I didn't find that bad: -

There's a bait and switch moment, with a mouse, (live/then dead) but nothing like animals being tortured of shit.

Damn, I guess I'll be watching this by myself. Even if shown dead, I assume my wife will not be pleased.

Dereck

I know for certain that this show is not terrible.

But I'm not certain if it's good (I just finished episode 2).

It dives in head first immediately and because of this I'm not really invested in any of the characters. In the first episode a couple of people die and I couldn't really care about it.

I don't know what point I'm making. Interesting show though, I'm still watching.

Kadayi

Banned
It dives in head first immediately and because of this I'm not really invested in any of the characters. In the first episode a couple of people die and I couldn't really care about it.

Without being spoilerly, they do some flashback stuff that rounds out a lot of the relationships late on in the season

Hmm. So it's pretty fucking good, but mixed feeling so far (three episodes in). On the one hand the pilot is fucking amazing, and like one of the best pilots I've ever seen. On the other hand,
once they shift to Ozark
the story seems to slow down massively, and the plot begins to crawl. Does this shit gain faster plot momentum soon?

Jason Bateman is giving one hell of a performance, and Laura Linney is a MILF - but I'm not that enamoured with it. It's good, but not great IMO.

Opinion may change as I binge the shit out of this and finish the season. More impressions coming!

Kadayi

Banned
Hmm. So it's pretty fucking good, but mixed feeling so far (three episodes in). On the one hand the pilot is fucking amazing, and like one of the best pilots I've ever seen. On the other hand,
once they shift to Ozark
the story seems to slow down massively, and the plot begins to crawl. Does this shit gain faster plot momentum soon?!

Stick with it,
the slow down to me at least is in large part a reflection of the reality of the monumental challenge the character faces. It doesn't take too long before things start to fall into place

Enco

Pilot is absolutely amazing.

On episode 7 now. Still good but nothing tops the pilot.

It's honestly just a couple of moments in a show full of violence against humans, but I understand that for some people anything like that is too much.
This has never made sense to me. Humans being abused is alright but an animal is too far?

Was planning on watching this later, but maybe move that up. Bateman and Linney both draws, but with directing some eps as well this seems like a pretty nice notch on the Imdb for Bateman especially.

Schrade

I'm on Episode 4 and if you like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Jason Bateman as an actor.. this show is for you.

It fucking rules.

Didn't realize this had come out already, and I also thought it was supposed to be a movie for some reason. Regardless, the first episode was fantastic. Can't wait to dig into more.

So sad Mike from Ed died so early :( Love that guy.

I'm watching the second episode right now and this show is so relentlessly dark...I mean Sweet Jesus.

At least Breaking Bad had Hank and Gomez joking around and Jesse being funny at the beginning. Walt in his underwear was kind of amusing too.

Imagine this show 5 seasons in...lol

Top Bottom