• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

Haines

Banned
Friend keeps recommending this show...

My Top fav TV dramas of all time (my taste basically)

Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
Bloodline
Breaking Bad
maybe uhmm.. The Affair?

shall I watch it GAF?

Shows good but its only 1 season so its pretty hard to judge against shows that are done

Its certainly a fun season of tv,

Keym

What's with people's obsession about demanding humor in every piece of media they see? No, it's not always necessary, it's fine if it's not there some times.

Only on episode 5, but getting hooked. Ruth is amazing.

It has taken me forever to get through this first season. Just finished episode 5. I don't find it to be allll that great. It is good but nothing incredible in my mind.

The daughter is hot and they seem to like putting her in short shorts a lot.

*checks age on google*

k she is 18 nice but wtf thought she'd be older.

takriel

It has taken me forever to get through this first season. Just finished episode 5. I don't find it to be allll that great. It is good but nothing incredible in my mind.

The daughter is hot and they seem to like putting her in short shorts a lot.

*checks age on google*

k she is 18 nice but wtf thought she'd be older.
She doesn't even look 18 imo.

Africanus

Watched this about three weeks ago.
Liked the premise quite a bit. Watched breaking bad this year so it was still fresh in my mind but the show was entirely unique.

From Chicago, so it was hilarious hearing that girl say Naperville after the guy asked where she was really from,
The show had nice dialogue, very clean cut. I liked that, no speaking in circles. Parables and analogies thus came off much better.
Complaint: The shading was the bluest-grey world I've ever seen. And my IPad protector (I was watching it while on vacation) is already blue tinted so I saw an extra blue world!

Socreges

Banned
On episode 5. Enjoying it for the most part, but I'm not buying some of the decisions certain characters make.

Like...

First interaction: Character lies to you, throws you off boat, turns out to be white trash and part of a criminal family.
Second: Punch said character in the face.
Third: Apologize to character for mother's behaviour. Have pleasant conversation.
Fourth: Spend time together drinking and discussing science fiction.

What am I missing? What did he do to redeem himself? Did the posh guy hitting on her suddenly make her interested in the lower class guy?

I also think Ruth is potentially a great character, except:

She yells to the entire club to not talk about her daddy...plus, hours/days later the place has gone from pretty empty to at capacity because of the new strippers. Really?

Just watched the first episode, is this show supposed to be hilarious?

Jason Bateman is basically playing Michael Bluth in this.
Jason Bateman usually plays Jason Bateman. If you ignore Dodgeball.

C4Lukins

On episode 5. Enjoying it for the most part, but I'm not buying some of the decisions certain characters make.

Like...

First interaction: Character lies to you, throws you off boat, turns out to be white trash and part of a criminal family.
Second: Punch said character in the face.
Third: Apologize to character for mother's behaviour. Have pleasant conversation.
Fourth: Spend time together drinking and discussing science fiction.

What am I missing? What did he do to redeem himself? Did the posh guy hitting on her suddenly make her interested in the lower class guy?

I also think Ruth is potentially a great character, except:

She yells to the entire club to not talk about her daddy...plus, hours/days later the place has gone from pretty empty to at capacity because of the new strippers. Really?

Jason Bateman usually plays Jason Bateman. If you ignore Dodgeball.

I think Bateman has a decent range, between Arrested Development, Ozark, and Juno.

sarcastor

Just finished Episode 5

I don't get the agent at all. He's weird like he hunts down serial killers but
secretly he's gay and so is the white trash uncle?
Seems a bit contrived.

Also if I was 15 and my parents told me they were laundering money for a Mexican cartel and we had to move to Missouri in two days, I would be constantly shitting bricks and scared for my life. These kids are like, whatevers.

gamz

Just finished Episode 5

Seems a bit contrived.

Also if I was 15 and my parents told me they were laundering money for a Mexican cartel and we had to move to Missouri in two days, I would be constantly shitting bricks and scared for my life. These kids are like, whatevers.

Missouri ain't that bad.

Just finished Episode 5

Seems a bit contrived.

Hunts down serial killers and he is secretly gay, what?

Keep watching that angle. It isn't a mystery and comes together nicely.

5taquitos

Just finished Episode 5

Seems a bit contrived.

The kids aren't really "like, whatevers," they definitely struggle with it, though the daughter generally seems more concerned about missing her friends.

C4Lukins

Just started watching this, the first episode is one of the best pilots I have seen. Never been so hooked so quick.

While I enjoyed the second ep, I can't shake the feeling that everybody is an asshole. There is no humor, even the colour tint used is a dull washed out blue - which makes it look even more depressing. Breaking Bad worked cos Walter White devolved into the villain, with Ozark - Jason's character starts off as a complete asshole. It's hard to care much for him.

I think there is a lot of humour in the show.

But yeah you learn in the first episode that Batemans character has already broke bad. But it is very different from Breaking Bad in a lot of ways. He is a decent guy who chose the fast track to wealth, and his family quickly becomes aware and participates in his crimes.

He also remains at least through the first season, a person who fucked up, but is not getting off on his crimes like Walter White, but a person trying to navigate this criminal world he has entered.

hbkdx12

This show is fucking amazing. It does a great job of getting it's hooks into you quick and each episode keeps ratcheting up the tension with all the different character motivations and what not.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and am very happy that it got renewed for a second season. The cast did a great job all around. I also noticed that Bateman directed a couple of episodes (the first two and the last one I think). He is very talented!

One hell of a first season! Loved it! Without a doubt Netflix top tier stuff, and probably the most interesting season I've watched this last year.

Plot is interesting and fast paced. Although the comparisons to Breaking Bad are justified, the show breaks apart from them early on. It helps that it starts way ahead of where BB started in Walt's Journey, so the payoff in this first season is better.
Great ensemble cast, every last one of them were great in this. Bateman kills it (and very impressive as a director as well). Laura Linney is at the top of her game, which means she's at the top of everyone's game, one of the best actresses of our time, no doubt. Julia Garner is a revelation as Ruth. I never heard of her before, grips you with every scene.

Can't wait to see what we have waiting for us in the second season and I really hope it picks some hype with the audience and critics, this show could turn out pretty special if they can keep this up.

Keym

He's fantastic isnt he? Loved him in this.
I don't know. I finished the season, and still I couldn't buy him 100% as anything but Michael Bluth in it. Regardless, that last episode was really something. I give this show special props for both Ruth and Wendy, excellent actresses and characters, and for giving us the most
uncomfortable sex scene I've seen in a long, long time.

Just finished it, was a great show - I do not typically watch first season shows simply cos they might get canceled. I am glad this got renewed. Jason Bateman was great in it, and apart from the annoying daughter, there wasn't a bad plot point in it.

Some questions about the finale:

Why was the FBI agent so mad, was it that the other dude exposed his cover ? throwing the dishwasher out the window is pretty silly mad
Less of a question but of a complaint about the baby baptism scene. That was way too long for a baby to be completely OK afterwards, it was like they didn't want to show a baby struggling to breath. Scene was a stupid fake-out (not one, but two drowning fake-outs). I don't get the preachers motivations. Surely losing your wife would make you even closer to the child ? all we got was 'I'm so mad at thing, baby goes underwater lol jk it was a religious thing, i love baby'
Bar lady is fucking stupid robbing the cartel. She knew that was their money.

Looking forward to Season 2, I am hoping for more colour - less blue. And some jokes, once in a while.

5taquitos

Just finished it, was a great show - I do not typically watch first season shows simply cos they might get canceled. I am glad this got renewed. Jason Bateman was great in it, and apart from the annoying daughter, there wasn't a bad plot point in it.

Why was the FBI agent so mad, was it that the other dude exposed his cover ? throwing the dishwasher out the window is pretty silly mad
Less of a question but of a complaint about the baby baptism scene. That was way too long for a baby to be completely OK afterwards, it was like they didn't want to show a baby struggling to breath. Scene was a stupid fake-out (not one, but two drowning fake-outs). I don't get the preachers motivations. Surely losing your wife would make you even closer to the child ? all we got was 'I'm so mad at thing, baby goes underwater lol jk it was a religious thing, i love baby'

Looking forward to Season 2, I am hoping for more colour - less blue. And some jokes, once in a while.
In regards to number 2, I'm pretty sure he was planning on going through with it and then changed his mind at the very last second.

sflufan

Banned
This show has taught me a very valuable lesson that I shall keep with me for the rest of my life: never EVER refer to a hillbilly as a redneck.

deleted

In regards to number 2, I'm pretty sure he was planning on going through with it and then changed his mind at the very last second.

Not so sure about that..

He obviously has no idea about kids/babys and seems to be pretty devoted to his believe. Could be that this was a decent amount of time to really be cleansed from the baptism in his eyes...

Also, don't really young kids have a reflex to stop breathing once they're underwater? Not that he knew that, but it could be that the child is relatively 'fine'

Keym

About number 1:
they blew the only chance they had to take down the cartel and catch Marty, the guy who seemingly killed his recent lover, after having worked on it for months.

And yeah, I wish they would turn off the blue filter, but I guess they have to because the Ozarks actually looks like a nice place to live in. It's different from Breaking Bad's setting where you can see it's close to the desert in the middle of nowhere.

dcll

Banned
I liked this show but the scene where
there is an army of cops and agents right down the road that didnt hear gun shots was pretty dumb

Nugg

I liked this show but the scene where
there is an army of cops and agents right down the road that didnt hear gun shots was pretty dumb

They state multiple times how insanely large the property is but you're right, they don't pull it off very well

Well I'm gonna peg it up to 8.5/10.

Great show that rises above the mediocrity of crime dramas. There are some crazy plot armors in the finale and a few motivations/actions that did not make sense. But other than that it's terrific. And man, some of the scenes are just insane.

Also, a spinoff miniseries about Buddy and his past, please.

FiggyCal

Banned
I was with it until that flashback episode. Holy shit was that boring. I have zero interest in coming back to it for now.

Just finished it. Amazing finale.
Ruth is definitely my favourite character in this show. Her development is so well done. And people wondering why
she killed her uncles. It's not just about Marty showing her respect. Wendy also helped her after Ross hit her, and telling Ruth to call her if Ruth needs anything is really a powerful action. I would love to see more about Ruth in Season 2, and Wendy keeping the promise.

Also keep in mind that she just found out that day that
her uncles are ditching her and moving away.

Top Bottom