• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mind-numbingly tedious things you did for no real reason

Phediuk

You know, that pointless time-wasting shit you did in a game just because you apparently had nothing better to do.

I remember getting up to Lv. 99 in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon by sliding in and out of the last room of the Battle Arena over and over again to fight the Devils there. We're talking a few dozen hours of just grinding that one room. It was completely gratuitous, since Lv. 30 is more than enough to beat Dracula. And I wasn't even that young at the time either, so I don't have any excuse.

luulubuu

World of Warcraft Vanilla Endgame: The Thread

For example, I like to do the old stuff with my op characters to see all the stuff, like how much they changed their mindset about raiding over the years, how they reused some aspects. I don't know, work is boring from time to time

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Spent at least a dozen hours killing giant turtles in ff13 to get the plat trophy, thought the game was great, that time I wasted not so much

LordOfChaos

Someone in Runescape, back with the original 2D version, told me if I mined 10,000 copper and 10,000 tin or something, they'd give me a lot of gold...

And then as soon as I did they fucked off, of course.

jeffers

Someone in Runescape, back with the original 2D version, told me if I mined 10,000 copper and 10,000 tin or something, they'd give me a lot of gold...

And then as soon as I did they fucked off, of course.
Pretty much all of runescape. Spent a crazy amount of time making law runes...

Enter Switch threads

But on topic, probably leveling up to 100 in pokemon. With auto leveling in multiplayer it really isn't required nowadays, but there's something about having at least 1 monster legit be at the max level

hao chi

In Resident Evil 0 I transported ALL of my supplies from the main hall of the mansion over to the first area that you spend most of disc 2 in. I don't remember exactly how many trips that took me, but it had to have been at least six, and there were some enemies to dodge on the way too.

Later on I started to transfer all of my stuff to the an area a bit before you fight the final boss, before convincing myself there's no way I could possibly need all this stuff.

This wasn't without reason in my mind, because I thought I might need this stuff and didn't want to go all the way back for it if I did, but as the game quickly proved, manually moving all that shit didn't accomplish anything since I barely dipped into my surplus of resources, because the new area gave me more than enough supplies.

Strimei

It was for a title so there was a goal but it was easily the most tedious thing I've done.

World of Warcraft, specifically during Mists of Pandaria, there's a title from the archaeology profession. You get it by creating a pristine version of every Pandaren and Mogu artifact.

Now for those who haven't played WoW, archaeology works by sending you to one of a few digsites that show up on your map. You go into the area, use the survey command and you'll get a telescope that points in a direction along with a glowing light. The light indicates how close you are. Red is far, yellow is midway, green is real close. When you're on it, you dig it up. Nowadays we have a buff and indicator when you are on the area where you need to dig, but back then it was a bit of guesswork.

You collect fragments that go to your current solve, which is random. And when you have enough you complete it. Normally you get the normal version, but if you're very lucky you'll proc the pristine, a one-time version that you can turn in for some better rewards (a few keystones, which act as bulk-fragements, and a few crates to turn in for other stuff). Its a relatively low chance.

So to get a pristine version, you need:

1. The RNG pick a digsite that you need (there's a third race whose stuff you can dig up but does not count toward the achievement)
2. To be working on a solve that you don't have a pristine for yet.
3. To have a pristine come from the solve.

Unless you are obscenely lucky, it takes you a long while. How long? I forget how long the overall process took me, but, I was 1 pristine solve away from getting the achievement at the end.

And that one pristine? It took me SIX MONTHS of dedicated farming in archaeology to get lucky. Six. Months.

As I said above, the achievement does reward a title, and its a pretty rare one I think as I've only seen like, three other people with it. It is actually my favorite title in the game, and one I display proudly. But when I've been asked about it by others, I like to add that I think I went a little bit insane in the process, because good lord, that was a long grind.

Title, for what its worth, is "(my name), Seeker of Knowledge"

Eumi

Kinda showed me up in the OP, but I count getting every soul in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow as mine.

I immediately after finishing accidentally deleted my save file.

Cess007

I pushed down an insane amount of signs on Naruto UNS2 on PS3 to get a Lottery Ticket for the Platinum Trophy. I think I spent days doing that.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Farming cloth in WoW during Burning Crusade. Not even sure what I was doing, trying to make some epic cloth item and level tailoring skill no doubt. I spent weeks doing it, then finally snapped out of it and reassessed what the hell I was doing with my gaming life.

L Thammy

I beat the first Dragon Quest.

Not hating the series as a whole, it's just that one game. Not a whole lot of things going on even as far as NES RPGs go.

maxresdefault.jpg

I killed a hell of a lot of these for items necessary to get all the weapons in FFXIII for a trophy and it was possibly the worst thing I've ever partaken in with a videogame.

magnetic

Kinda showed me up in the OP, but I count getting every soul in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow as mine.

I immediately after finishing accidentally deleted my save file.

Yeah, grinding for souls in Dawn Of Sorrow was the first time I remember in intentionally killing enemies for a random drop.

And exiting out of the room you chose to grind at before you realized the soul dropped and didn't fly to you in time - oh boy.

Metalmarc

Trying to destroy as many cars possible and blocking up the street with them in gta 3 to first try and get the emergency services out, prevent them from getting past, stealing those vehicles, destroying them, getting the swat out, getting killed by the swat, getting sent to the hospital and repeating, and repeating, over and over and thats how i always played gta 3, never the missions, well maybe once or twice.

Play the first six tutorial chapters of Fire Emblem: Fates every time I start a new game

Could get better level ups than last time, you never know.

Tales Series Platinum trophies.
Multiple playthroughs and mindless number raising to achieve.
Nothing more fun that playing Xillia and fighting a boar with Leia and just dodging and dodging and dodging

I beat the first Dragon Quest.

Not hating the series as a whole, it's just that one game. Not a whole lot of things going on even as far as NES RPGs go.
Actually one of my favorite games in the series. I wish more people made tighter and shorter JRPGs that don't overstay their welcome. I thought it was a fun little adventure and I liked only have to keep track of one character.

My memory is a bit hazy but I played The Last Remnant in a way to get all achievements. You had to beat the hardest version of the last boss. To do that you had to play the game in a very specific way, avoiding normal encounters and leveling up from boss fights.

I remember browsing message boards where everyone was waiting for the guide to be released so we'd all have a better idea of how to 1000/1000 the game. Then the guide came out and was useless.

The game had a lot of nice moments but to this day I'm still not sure why I put so much effort into completing it.

SirNinja

In order to go from a five-star profile to a shiny-five-star profile in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call, I:

Made a StreetPass relay from a Raspberry Pi, which itself involved:
  • Buying a kit and protective case for one, along with an SD card and various other accessories like an Ethernet cable (~$50)
  • Learning how to actually use an RPi (never worked with a Linux-based computer in any meaningful capacity before)
  • Getting a custom-made firmware that would allow the device to function as a StreetPass relay, and finding software that would let me format the SD card so that it would properly load
  • Experimenting with two wireless adapters before I found one that worked
  • Having to then replace my (admittedly old) modem because the relay wouldn't work with it for more than 5-15 minutes
Then I bought another copy of the game (~$15) so that I could, on my other 3DS, play five hundred VS. matches over the internet, and a few hundred more in local wireless mode.

There were a lot of other idiotic grinds, like playing 8+ songs 30+ times each and play for 200+ ingame hours total, but the above pretty much covers the physical expenses of it.

But, uh...yeah, those stars are shiny now.

No regrets though. I'm a huge fan of FF soundtracks and I thought to myself one day, "hey, I finally got close to actually fully-clearing a massive game; might as well go all the way for once". Still proud of it. Plus, hey, I can StreetPass people worldwide now!

WizdogC

Neo Member
Final Fantasy 15 Platinum. Could have and should have beat the story in 15 hours. But nope, took just over 70 hours for that stupid Platinum.

Got a Platinum out of it, but definitely stupid and not worth it. Would not have done it if I knew it'd take that long and be the pointless

Fliesen

Vanilla WoW:
i grinded Timbermaw Furbolg reputation for roughly 3 days straight ...

If anyone was around pre burning crusade, you understand how utterly pointless that was.

Verelios

I levelled up to lvl 30 in MapleStory when it first came out on only those Mushrooms in a tree. If I got 5% exp in a day I'd be lucky, but I'd just mindlessly be mashing attack and chatting at the same time, for what I don't know.

Top Bottom