• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mind-numbingly tedious things you did for no real reason

Van Bur3n

Screwed around in Bully. Even after getting the 100% I just ran around and beat people up. I don't know why, I just did. Even tried to see if I could knock out the adults in time before I got caught.

Perhaps I was becoming a bully...

UberLevi

I popped all those
fucking balloons with that candle
in RE7 and didn't get shit.

That wasn't what I'd call mind-numbingly tedious, but in hindsight it was definitely a useless detraction.

Someone in Runescape, back with the original 2D version, told me if I mined 10,000 copper and 10,000 tin or something, they'd give me a lot of gold...

And then as soon as I did they fucked off, of course.

Runescape was cruel with kids, I remember to work my ass off for a full set of Adamant Armor by this same dude that duped me with a bronze armor.

Anyways, my answer to this day is still runescape. The time i spend fishing alone is ungodly stupid

I wanted to take the total score in New Super Mario Bros (DS) to the limit, so I played hours and hours just because of that.. if NSMB2 existed at the time, I would have probably hit that stupid million coins thing.

There is also this thing I'm a little ashamed about: No More Heroes was the first GTA-like game I've ever played. So I spent a lot of time in Santa Destroy, just walking instead of running, doing pointless tasks just because. Mind you, that city is empty and depressing. There is nothing to do, really, I just had time to waste, never had fun with it. Total playtime ended up being like 30 hours for a game that I could finish in 4 hours.

Oh and I did all the Riddler's puzzles in Arkham Knight. That was stupidly pointless.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I got my party up to level 99 in Final Fantasy VI grinding the same enemies over and over again for numerous hours. When I defeated Kefka at the end of the game in one round I truly realised I had wasted my time...

MrS

Banned
Farmed Proof of a Concord Kept in Dark Souls 3. Took me 10 hours. Apparently I have no life.

eXistor

That dumb Saint achievement in Dead Rising 1 where you had to rescue 50 survivors. The terrible surivor A.I. made it a nightmare, but I did it! That was also the point where I said "fuck achievements".

I wrote down all the different characters/skins in goldeneye 64 and rated them 1-5 stars.

Siberian special forces was obviously the best one

DPB

Farmed Proof of a Concord Kept in Dark Souls 3. Took me 10 hours. Apparently I have no life.

I didn't go that far, but even stopping at 10 just to get the ring took ages, and by the time I finished I had killing Silver Knights down to a science.

Kalamoj

Maxed out all Ramza and Agiras stats and jobs in FFT. Planned to do all unique chars, but fortunately some other game distracted me.

Plum

100%ing both Infamous: Second Son and First Light.

I didn't really enjoy most of it but they both came at a time when I didn't have access to many games so I just kinda did it.

HeeHo

I would say farming for post-game materials in vanilla FFXII only to drop the game after crafting an ultimate weapon and never using it.

Jockel

I tried leveling in Secret of Mana before the first boss.
IIRC I made it to level 16 just off rabites (1 exp each) and literally killed tens of thousands over months. It's just what I did after school, farm rabites for a few hours.

JulianImp

I once played Ogame during summer break, but quit it midway through the break when I realized I was trying to time at least some RL activities around game timers. I'm glad I learned my lesson after a month and a half or less, though.

Back in the days when the DS was new-ish I remember beating a thousand or so old axe armors in Castlevania Portrait of Ruin to unlock old axe mode, which eventually led to the "strategy" of going to an enemy rush dungeon, clearing a room with several of them in it, toggling sleep mode on and off so that I'd respawn back in the same room with respawned enemies and repeating the process many, many times. Man, that stuff sure was mind-boggingly repetitive and dumb as hell, but the extra game mode was worth it in the end, IMO.

But the cake probably goes to EV training pokémon. Beating hundreds of pokémon just to give yours some extra stats is still quite tedious nowadays, but back when all you had was Pokérus to boost your EV gains and wild pokémon often gave you one or two EVs at most it was an even bigger pain in the ass. Breeding mons was also boring, but alternating two directions was easy enough to do that you could be doing something else in the meantime, compared to having to find and battle hundreds of underpowered mons over and over just to get 1/4 of a stat point at level 100 at a time.

tariniel

Endgame in every MMO ever pretty much, but the most tedious was probably FFXI. Camping named monsters for 12+ hours to maybe not even get to kill it because there are 100 people there trying to claim it when it spawns.

Also I did every one of the boring sidequests in FFXV. The travel is the tedious part.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I maxed out my character in the original Dragon Warrior.

Beat the game and then went back and kept wandering around killing things and leveling up. Eventually I hit the ceiling where the game doesn't level you any longer. I LOVED just wandering around obliterating everything that didn't run away. The final boss was a joke at that point.

I made three complete sets of Master Materias in FFVII.

Also, at one point I had something like 22 Ultimas (for a completely stupid combo with Magic Counters, MP Absorb, Quad Magic and other shit I forget now. Every time I was hit I countered with something like 16 Ultimas.)

Got all the characters to level 99 in Xenogears. I farmed Drives for a really long time and raised Chu-Chu's stats to a ridiculous degree. Since its gear form stats are scaled from the normal ones, it was obnoxiously overpowered.

I had way too much free time back then.

Nepenthe

Probably SOS Shiny Hunting in Pokemon Sun. Tens to hundreds of Pokemon encounters over and over again just to get one that's a different color.

If the chance for perfect IVs didn't increase per encounter, it'd be totally pointless. But as it stands, it's just mostly pointless. xP

But I still have a blue Rockruff so WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

pezzie

I grinded every character in FFVII (including Aeris) up to lvl 99 in disk 1, and then I proceeded to enemy morph enough strength tabs to get each character to 255 str (or whatever the attack stat was, I don't even remember).

I had a lot more free time when I was 16.

I love Bloodborne but doing all that chalice dungeon shit to get the plat was kind of a waste of time. And the boss of the end of it all is pretty meh.

The entire Zodiac Braves Weapon questline in FFXIV...even when the weapon in question was loooong outdated by further expansions. That was weeks if not months of truly wasted time.

ffdgh

All the blue coins in mario sunshine/Zygarde cells in sun and moon...without any kind of guide. Fun times...
Edit: Most of the junk in ff7/8/10

Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, on the Schthack server.
I grinded TTF to the first Dragon roughly 100 times looking for the best Rhianov-5. It's a mediocre rifle in the game that can pierce, and I wanted one with high HIT. Would have been worthwhile if there weren't a ton of other much better weapons. I just liked it.

I kept grinding one of the challenge stages in Skylanders: Giants to max out the levels/abilities on my figures. Even well after I'd finished the game, I'd buy new figures, do that same battle arena over and over and over, and max 'em out, even though I'd never actually do anything else with those figures. I have no idea why.

Mr. Mouth

Neo Member
Played many, many hours of Blitzball in FFX, doing the 'hide behind your goal' trick with the hopes of getting Wakka's final weapon.

I eventually decided it wasn't worth it after pouring so much time into it.

sugarless

I don't know why, but that sounds oddly relaxing. Podcasts go so well with something very repetitive.

Podcasts & Mass Effect 2 mining (plus a glass of red wine) were my chillout thing when that game came out. It was great. Hence I never experienced the intensely negative reaction to ME2 mining that inevitably surfaces in "most boring minigames" GAF threads.

Synth

Scanned every planet in Mass Effect 2 completely flat.

Levelled every attack in Shenmue to the max via either practicing in empty spaces, or throwing poor Fuku-san around in sparring. Was horrified to find I couldn't do the same in Shenmue 2.

blakep267

Pokémon. Back in 05 I had to level a team up to 100 to play in a tournament. Using ruby, colleswum snd some link cables

ch4fx_

"All that glitters" - pick up 5,000,000 gold.

Thankfully Diablo 3 is an awesome game, so it wasn't too bad, but annoying nonetheless.

Top Bottom