• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

dan2026

I do hope Pennywise is going to rip that kids arm off good and propper.
As it's R rated I'm hoping they aren't going to hold back on the violence.

Exactly. So many folks think of "jump scare" as an insta-criticism in the same way they think of "exposition" and like exposition, which is something that is absolutely necessary in damn-near every movie, there's a great way and a poor way to implement a jump scare.

Bad jump scares are exactly what people think of when they're talking about shitty jump scares. A random "BOO!" out of nowhere. Shock value, nothing more.

But, a well constructed jump scare can be positively terrifying. The best kind of jump scares usually come after a sequence has been slowly and consistently ratcheting up the tension, little by little, for some time. The ominous music kicks in. The character enters a dark room. Little details begin to seem out of place. Did something just move in the background? Oh god, this is getting to be too mu- *BOOM* OH MY GOD WTF. A good jump scare doesn't come out of nowhere, it serves as a horrifying release for built-up tension.

This. I don't think people HATE the idea of jump scares in general, but jump scares have to have some weight within the movie. The scares have to be earned. The absolutely WORST way of implementing a jump scare is if you think it's been a while since the last scare, and you place one in a scene that doesn't need it JUST so you could stimulate the audience (because you think they'll get bored otherwise).

There are two cases of good and bad jump scares in the movie Sinister.

Good:
The fuckin' lawnmower scene. That was well earned and had weight within the scene. Not only did it affect us, the audience, it had an impression on Ethan Hawke's character.

Bad:
When Ethan Hawke is exploring the house and the ghost child's face pops up in front of him. Note, these kids are INVISIBLE to Ethan, and even though its face is right there, HE CAN'T SEE IT. It was ONLY meant to jolt the audience, but has no weight in the actual scene.
And of course, there's also the cheap "final scare", that a lot of movies are piss poor with.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I love how Pennywise's noggin is doing triple duty as his elongated head, a balloon, and the entrance to the sewer. Like, that kind of layering shouldn't work but I'll be damned if they didn't pull it off.

Quadruple duty:
I can see the spider in the lines on his face...

Garlador

Exactly. So many folks think of "jump scare" as an insta-criticism in the same way they think of "exposition" and like exposition, which is something that is absolutely necessary in damn-near every movie, there's a great way and a poor way to implement a jump scare.

Bad jump scares are exactly what people think of when they're talking about shitty jump scares. A random "BOO!" out of nowhere. Shock value, nothing more.

But, a well constructed jump scare can be positively terrifying. The best kind of jump scares usually come after a sequence has been slowly and consistently ratcheting up the tension, little by little, for some time. The ominous music kicks in. The character enters a dark room. Little details begin to seem out of place. Did something just move in the background? Oh god, this is getting to be too mu- *BOOM* OH MY GOD WTF. A good jump scare doesn't come out of nowhere, it serves as a horrifying release for built-up tension.

I present to you, my personal favorite jump scare.

Garlador

that moment at 2:36
DtC5xs1.gif

Can't be THAT bad...

RDJ_Woah.gif

Whoa.

Saya

I didn't know Chung-hoon Chung (The Handmaiden, Thirst, Oldboy) was the cinematographer for IT. That's why it looks so damn good. Can't wait for this. His style is perfect for horror movies.

I didn't know Chung-hoon Chung (The Handmaiden, Thirst, Oldboy) was the cinematographer for IT. That's why it looks so damn good. Can't wait for this. His style is perfect for horror movies.

Yeah, his style is written all over it. You can see even from the Trailers.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Just watched that leaked first scene with Georgie and It in the sewer drain ...

aaaaand that was a lot better than I expected. My lady is gonna lose her mind when we go see this it's gonna be great.

I think there is something about Curry's "normal" mode clown that i enjoy just a little more. His face is just so expressive. It's perfect for an intimidating conversation with a little kid. Big bright toothy smiles. Bright (but human) eyes.. and like a tremble to his voice that isn't uncertainty or fear more like... wild LSD styled anxiety and anticipation.

New clown looks more permanently monstrous which also works (again - a LOT more than i expected it to). I'm now officially excited to see how the final scenes with It in the sewer roll out ... i do so hope we get to see some deadlights.

GhaleonEB

I've loved what I've seen so far...

That's the shot in the trailer that got me the most excited, TBH. Nailing Pennywise is one thing. Capturing the cosmic-horror element is another level.

Edit: I've been wondering about that poster. I can't find it online, and no one ever links a source. It also looks like it used this promo shot of the sewer as the basis. From the post on the last page sounds like it was fan art of sorts. I hope the real thing is as creative.

I missed out the jump scare conversation, but figured I'd chime in anyway. To the naysayers, the jump scare is a tool that's been around 80ish years and has been put to great use since. A problem arises though when it's not executed properly.

There have been numerous bad horror flicks that rely on them way too much. The effect being that the audience becomes desensitized and the movie loses all tension because of it. While that plays a big part, another aspect that I feel doesn't get mentioned enough is sound design. Too many movies are cranking the volume when they need to dial it back.

Take Halloween H20 for example. It's overloaded with these "boo" moments that play with overly loud music constantly. It doesn't matter if characters are bumping into one another or are actually being surprised by the killer. The audio cues are so similar that it puts the scares on a level playing field and makes the scenes that are supposed to hit with a bang hit with a whimper instead.

Now compare that with the original Halloween. It works more like a symphony with peaks and valleys. It's still absolutely filled with jump scares, but the majority play with a creepy sound cue, a sting, or even silence. There are a few moments where a deep booming drone sound plays but the difference is that those moments are built up and earned. We hear it in the first murder but then it doesn't play again until past the halfway mark of its runtime.

That's part of what made that movie so shit your pants frightening for audiences back during its release. It seems that movie studios have become only interested in those big moments so their use escalated to the point of losing their effectiveness. A horror movie lives or dies by its sound design. Of course there are numerous components that go into a great jump scare and this is only one aspect where filmmakers are dropping the ball.

Not a horror movie, but Interstellar had a great jump scare right before the docking scene.

Sanctuary

Seeing the title of the film written as "IT" instead of "It" made me completely forget about the remake and think of IT as in information technology.
Anyway, most of the time remakes pale in comparison to the original (and the original It wasn't even that great in the first place), but if nothing else this certainly looks more watchable today than the 90s film.

Although I am getting pretty tired of the "Oooh edgy" designs in horror films that seem setup specifically for the FNaF/Slenderman crowd. It's fails to be remotely scary when it's so painfully obviously manicured.

Seeing the title of the film written as "IT" instead of "It" made me completely forget about the remake and think of IT as in information technology.
Anyway, most of the time remakes pale in comparison to the original (and the original It wasn't even that great in the first place), but if nothing else this certainly looks more watchable today than the 90s film.

Although I am getting pretty tired of the "Oooh edgy" designs in horror films that seem setup specifically for the FNaF/Slenderman crowd. It's fails to be remotely scary when it's so painfully obviously manicured.
I don't think that has anything to do with this. Pennywise is usually portrayed as a not-very-normal clown thing in the book, and they cleverly gave it 1800s/early 1900s attire.

1800s/early 1900s clowns looked like the stuff of nightmares, terrifying af

Sanctuary

I don't think that has anything do with this. Pennywise is usually portrayed as a not-very-normal clown thing in the book, and they cleverly gave it 1800s/early 1900s attire.

1800s/early 1900s clowns looked like the stuff of nightmares, terrifying af

Nah. I get that "It" is supposed to be a terrifying clown, but the one for this film just comes across like every other typical, modern horror film design of the last five years.

e.g.

In the case of the new Pennywise, I think it really has more to do with the stupid "evil" look the actor is always trying to display. You know, where they always have their heads tilted down, while looking up? It's way too tryhard.

So evil!

GhaleonEB

Nah. I get that "It" is supposed to be a terrifying clown, but the one for this film just comes across like every other typical, modern horror film design of the last five years.

I can't think of any film in the last five years with a design like this. In concept it's very faithful to the design in the book, while updating the era to the 1800's. There's nothing "edgy" about the approach.

Edit: your edited examples are not good examples. They undercut your point.

Edit 2: HYPE More_Badass.

This movie is going to be awful. Terrible clown, awful kid acting, went through development hell. Don't know why people are getting excited.

My hype levels climbing far too high. Must keep down to avoid disappointment. This movie is going to be great

Not a horror movie, but Interstellar had a great jump scare right before the docking scene.

The Gift did as well in a couple spots. In a horror flick you expect that kind of stuff but it's great when you're caught off guard by a good jump scare from a film in another genre.

If I remember correctly, The Gift had me jump out of my chair screaming "what the fuck!"

daman824

e.g.

In the case of the new Pennywise, I think it really has more to do with the stupid "evil" look the actor is always trying to display. You know, where they always have their heads tilted down, while looking up? It's way too tryhard.

So evil!

These are horrible examples.

Have you seen the leaked Georgie/Pennywise exchange? This guy is going to kill it.

Spoo

It just occurred to me: the movie is out in two weeks and we don't know what the official poster is?

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/it-teaser-poster.jpg?w=450

This is the poster I've seen in my theater a couple times. It was released a long while back.

I am glad to see that early buzz is really good for IT. Sounds like we are getting the whole story -- the clown, sure, but the heart of the film, the kids relationships, some of the funny stuff; IT isn't pure horror, it's an adventure-mystery with a really spooky bad guy. All the early impressions back up that the filmmakers have the same idea a lot of us do about how to make a special adaptation of this.

Top Bottom