• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

daveo42

Banned
Some of this early game is a slog on NG+. I just wanna hang out with all the ladies and bust some heads.

Edit: It is interesting to see some of the early hooks that come in late game.

Zolo

Gotta say I didn't hate palace 5

Maybe it was my lowered expectations from all the complaining, lol

I think it mainly just sucks how the game seems to keep telling you the treasure's right near by when you've still got like half a dungeon left.

Pompadour

So I'm about to start Palace 6 and
Akechi just joined my team.
A lot of things are leading me to believe
that he won't stick around
so, without spoilers,
would it be a bad idea to level him up?
Or would it not matter regardless?

Mr. Hyde

Does dating more than one person contribute to you getting the bad ending or does it do nothing substantial besides a small scene?

Guess Who

Banned
So I'm about to start Palace 6 and
Akechi just joined my team.
A lot of things are leading me to believe
that he won't stick around
so, without spoilers,
would it be a bad idea to level him up?
Or would it not matter regardless?

He is useful in palace 6, but you are correct in believing you will only have him temporarily. Your call.

Phatmac

Man, Futaba joining the team made this game 100 times better. The SoL moments with her and the team have been great so far. These moments are what I come to Persona for.

duckroll

Man, Futaba joining the team made this game 100 times better. The SoL moments with her and the team have been great so far. These moments are what I come to Persona for.

Futaba is.... not what I expected. I like how she is presented a lot more than what it seemed during the Palace 4 events.

Sure hope not cuz both tae and ohya need my love

The only love Ohya needs is at the bottom of a glass.

Phatmac

Futaba is.... not what I expected. I like how she is presented a lot more than what it seemed during the Palace 4 events.

The only love Ohya needs is at the bottom of a glass.
Yup. I thought she'd be the super hacker gamer girl, but so far her dungeon and character arc have been strong. Plus, her interactions with opening up with the team have been hilarious. This also finally reveals how awesome of a dad Sojiro is.

Opa-Pa

So uuh, Palace 7 is actually pretty great so far. The gimmick mazes are nice and the multiple mini bosses are a joy. Aside from a little too much exposition, it's been lots of fun.

Was it really just the lenght that bothered people? (again?)

Guess Who

Banned
So uuh, Palace 7 is actually pretty great so far. The gimmick mazes are nice and the multiple mini bosses are a joy. Aside from a little too much exposition, it's been lots of fun.

Mostly I just don't think palace 7 changes it up all that much - the entire length is basically just
minibosses broken up by rat mazes, and I don't think rat mazes are an incredible enough gimmick to carry the whole dungeon

Opa-Pa

Mostly I just don't think palace 7 changes it up all that much - the entire length is basically just
minibosses broken up by rat mazes, and I don't think rat mazes are an incredible enough gimmick to carry the whole dungeon

Fair. I've only gone through two of those so far, so I might get tired in the end.

The entire palace is almost all padding. You end up backtracking almost constantly and switching between 'forms' is never fun, nor is it ever intuitive either, they barely put any enemies in the way so you never really need to sneak around and its just all the same boring ass long hallways and small rooms. It's also repeated a total of 4 freaking times and it wasn't ever fun at all.

Sure its not the worst thing ever but its just a huge waste of time for the player to make the actual palace seem much bigger and grandiose then the previous one (which is a trend in this game which is completely unnecessary) It's not as if the palaces get more difficult by any means, they just continue to take longer with things like backtracking and the entire concept of Palace 7.

Ultimadrago

Yup. I thought she'd be the super hacker gamer girl, but so far her dungeon and character arc have been strong. Plus, her interactions with opening up with the team have been hilarious. This also finally reveals how awesome of a dad Sojiro is.

She's still super hacker gamer girl. lol. But her interactions in the story really make for some of the better interpersonal moments in the game. Yes, Sojiro's inclusion and growth make it even better.

Okay first of all I don't buy that shit. My friends didnt blatantly oogle and stare and make comments about girls that they were supposed to be friends with. And it's not like one time. The palace 4 anime scene and the beach scene both have them, especially Ryuji, blatantly obejctifying Ann.

I'm just tired of this juvenile ass shit. Make up your minds, you either have a mature game with positive themes about being yourself or whatever the fuck, or you have stupid ass animu teenage shit. Stupid ass shit like this just seems desperate and takes away from their supposed main themes.

And also I just hate Ryuji so yeah. Stop making awful characters like this idiot too while you're at it, Persona team.

Yes. Absolutely LOATHED Yosuke and was hoping Ryuji wouldn't be similar but nope. Just as bad. The best friend doesn't have to be a massive douchebag dicktard.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
10/26

shit is getting real ! also i think i have a good idea of the 'real culprit', the character model was clearly feminine when she shot the big bang burger guy and we've only seen one female character wearing all black through out the game.

DNAbro

Random complaint but if Futaba does her
position hacking
ability she should have had an All Out Attack Portrait.

rugioh

Banned
Someone red pill me, why does everyone think Ryuji is so good? I'm around level 47-48 for all my characters, and even after baton passes he misses pretty often, and doesn't have a skill like Yusuke that scales with a baton pass. Why should I keep this goober in my party for physical damage?

Guess Who

Banned
Someone red pill me, why does everyone think Ryuji is so good? I'm around level 47-48 for all my characters, and even after baton passes he misses pretty often, and doesn't have a skill like Yusuke that scales with a baton pass. Why should I keep this goober in my party for physical damage?

Matarukaja + Charge + Megaton Raid/God Hand = endgame phys beast.

Getting the Futaba quotes trophy was a lot easier than expected. I remember some posters worried that it would be another Risette grind. Although,

confidant spoilers
Star's confidant skills might have made it easier to get the trophy since backup characters can join in the middle of battle to get Futaba quotes in.

Ultimadrago

Random complaint but if Futaba does her
position hacking
ability she should have had an All Out Attack Portrait.

Agreed. Those pesky technicalities
(Her not doing actual damage and it not necessarily guaranteed to defeat them)
be damned!

Getting the Futaba quotes trophy was a lot easier than expected. I remember some posters worried that it would be another Risette grind. Although,

confidant spoilers
Star's confidant skills might have made it easier to get the trophy since backup characters can join in the middle of battle to get Futaba quotes in.

When did you get yours, in terms of story? Mine was in the middle of Palace 5. I actually went through the trouble to log them, but as long as you switch, no one should worry about it.

Zafir

Liquid Mercury, Iron Sand, Aluminum Sheets and Red Phosphorus are made from the devil.

At least Iron Sand can be bought, and Sheets/Phosporus can be found pretty easily when riding around Momentos.

Liquid Mercury is just total ass.

Ragona

Hey Gaf :) all the hype for the series here and my rekindled japanese games love made be purchase Persona 5 and I planned to start my adventure in the next few hours.
I have read that there is alot of missable and optional stuff in the game, however I just want to have an enjoyable time and dont really plan to platin the game.
Is there anything I need to consider/know before I go or am I good to go blindly?

Guess Who

Banned
Hey Gaf :) all the hype for the series here and my rekindled japanese games love made be purchase Persona 5 and I planned to start my adventure in the next few hours.
I have read that there is alot of missable and optional stuff in the game, however I just want to have an enjoyable time and dont really plan to platin the game.
Is there anything I need to consider/know before I go or am I good to go blindly?

Just make sure to do something every day, and prioritize your Confidants above all else (aside from, you know, finishing dungeons on time).

PK Gaming

Yosuke
gets lots of time to shine in the various group events through the game like planning ahead the swimsuits for Yukiko/Chie during the camping trip or tricking the girls into the beauty pagent. Ryuji could only dream of being half as clever as Yosuke

And Ryuji doesn't get credit for that since the whole team together realizes that they got wrapped up in the hype. It also doesn't forgive the fact he actively causes them more problems for the group then he does in coming up with solutions

Wait... you think Yosuke's sexual harassment is a good thing? Dude... his comic relief moments were the definition of hit and miss. Him carrying swimsuits and emotional blackmailing Yukiko and Chie into wearing them was fucking terrible. Him being scared of Kanji raping him was terrible. Him bringing weapons to a food court, swinging them like an idiot and getting you arrested was terrible. And so on. If the conceit behind Junpei's character was "that guy you knew in high school" then Yosuke is "that guy, but greatly exaggerated." With all that said, I still like Yosuke; his value comes from his terrific social link, and he really is a good friend of the protagonist and the group overall, but there's no real growth for him in the main narrative.

And why wouldn't Ryuji get credit for owning up to being a shitty person? It doesn't matter if the others came to similar conclusions, Ryuji was able to admit that he was wrong and was no different than his targets when it came to indulging in his desires. It's a literal character arc. (see -here)

PBalfredo

I'm in the central tower of palace 1 and what the hell am I suppose to do with all of these level 16 heavenly publishers running around? They completely wipe me before I can even run away.

When did you get yours, in terms of story? Mine was in the middle of Palace 5. I actually went through the trouble to log them, but as long as you switch, no one should worry about it.

I think I got mine in either Palace 6 or 7. That being said, I didn't switch often unless I use
Star's FF10 skills

Phatmac

I'm in the central tower of palace 1 and what the hell am I suppose to do with all of these level 16 heavenly publishers running around? They completely wipe me before I can even run away.
Try to find their weakness and ask them to be your persona. They'll give you something and let you go. That's the way I was able to reach the treasure with just one day.

nOoblet16

Okay first of all I don't buy that shit. My friends didnt blatantly oogle and stare and make comments about girls that they were supposed to be friends with. And it's not like one time. The palace 4 anime scene and the beach scene both have them, especially Ryuji, blatantly obejctifying Ann.

I'm just tired of this juvenile ass shit. Make up your minds, you either have a mature game with positive themes about being yourself or whatever the fuck, or you have stupid ass animu teenage shit. Stupid ass shit like this just seems desperate and takes away from their supposed main themes.

And also I just hate Ryuji so yeah. Stop making awful characters like this idiot too while you're at it, Persona team.
Actually no. It's not unusual for friends to act like that. If you have that sort of chemistry with a female friend you'd be surprised by how much it is ok and even fun to tease.

That beach scene in particular, Ryuji is teasing Ann and Ann gets to him by saying "what you got a better opinion of me now?". I have some female friends with whom I am like this, it works because both of us share that sort of chemistry and neither of us would shy from making sexual jokes or even discuss/joke about body parts. It's suppose to be in a light hearted manner and doesn't mean oogling or harassing because for the very reason that both the parties involved know it is extremely silly, juvenile and most importantly the person on the receiving end responds positively to it. It would be problematic if it was negatively received and yet the the behaviour kept persisting...that would be harassment.

I was once talking to my friend and she told me she feels like she is gaining weight, then she says something like "probably my boobs take half of my weight". I reply without even thinking "you talking about one or both of them?" while doing a balancing gesture with my hands in front of her. A silly and juvenile response that doesn't even make much sense when you think about it, but it made her laugh hysterically. I had zero interest in my friend sexually, but I made that joke anyways and it was received well because that's chemistry. This is just one instance, there are so many examples I can list but you get the general idea. And I am 26 years old, so not a teenager.

PK Gaming

-High endurance so he never dies
-Crazy high offense and incredible physical skills (Swift Strike is OP)
-Competent magic for striking Zio weaknesses
-His endgame skillset is ridiculously good

He's pretty much good throughout the game. Missing sucks, but Swift Strike should be doing work.

Top Bottom