• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

The reason to switch to AMD won't be for better GPU (dedicated is out of the question for tablet like SP5 anyways). It's to get more cores on the CPU without jumping to 35~45W.

Yes but the Surface Book has a dGPU (or at least some of them) and I think they would probably want the same processor between the Pro and Book.

Yes but the Surface Book has a dGPU (or at least some of them) and I think they would probably want the same processor between the Pro and Book.

No doubt. But SP5 formfactor won't allow dedicated GPU. Also, if SB2 uses AMD CPU, that won't necessarily mean it will use AMD dGPU.

What's more interesting to me is the rumor that the Book 2 won't have the detachable screen. That makes me wonder:

A) If so, will the Pro 5 support keyboards like the Book's that have extra battery/dGPU? Considering the Pro 4 isn't all that much bigger/heavier than the Book's tablet I can see this happening regardless, but doing so would make the Book line redundant, so I can see that being the primary reason for the change.

B) What gimmick, if any, will replace the detachable screen to keep the Book 2 from being Just Another Laptop?

What's more interesting to me is the rumor that the Book 2 won't have the detachable screen. That makes me wonder:

A) If so, will the Pro 5 support keyboards like the Book's that have extra battery/dGPU? Considering the Pro 4 isn't all that much bigger/heavier than the Book's tablet I can see this happening regardless, but doing so would make the Book line redundant, so I can see that being the primary reason for the change.

B) What gimmick, if any, will replace the detachable screen to keep the Book 2 from being Just Another Laptop?

I don't believe the Digitimes rumour.

A conventional MS laptop might be coming, but if it does it would supplement rather than replace the SB. The mission of the Surface brand is to provide innovative devices that will light fires under MS's third party partners, not to cheap down and just make good conventional laptops. The SB was well received, it doesn't feel like they'd want to dump it entirely for conventional designs.

btrboyev

No doubt. But SP5 formfactor won't allow dedicated GPU. Also, if SB2 uses AMD CPU, that won't necessarily mean it will use AMD dGPU.

If they are using an AMD chip, it's going to have an onboard AMD solution, which would still mostly likely be better than Intel. They obviously can't use intel graphics and I've never heard any manufacturer using AMD cpu's and nvidia gpu's.

If they are using an AMD chip, it's going to have an onboard AMD solution, which would still mostly likely be better than Intel. They obviously can't use intel graphics and I've never heard any manufacturer using AMD cpu's and nvidia gpu's.

If you are talking about GPU on the CPU package, sure it will have to be AMD's GPU. I'm talking about dGPU. There are devices with AMD CPUs and Nvidia dGPUs off CPU package.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
im gonna be so disappointed if that rumor about surface book 2 is true. Been waiting for months for that thing, but it also better have a 32gb option.

jetsetrez

Man, why does Microsoft always take so long and delay all of their promising stuff until people lose interest. I would be *extremely* interested in a new Surface laptop, with no tablet stuff. Just beautiful design, solid build, quad core CPU, and a GTX 1050, and I would be so down if the price is right.

Man, why does Microsoft always take so long and delay all of their promising stuff until people lose interest. I would be *extremely* interested in a new Surface laptop, with no tablet stuff. Just beautiful design, solid build, quad core CPU, and a GTX 1050, and I would be so down if the price is right.

Digitimes claimed that there was a new, cheaper, conventional Surface Book coming out and that it had already entered mass production. The other rumour about the delay says they haven't heard about anything coming out in Spring. They wouldn't be mass producing devices if nothing was releasing for another 3 months, imo the two rumours are incompatible.

I really hope the SP5 comes out in the spring. My laptop is 9 years old running on Vista (lol) and I'm way overdue for an upgrade. I was going to get a SP4 but then I heard about the possible refresh this year and now I'm itching to get my hands on one. Fingers crossed for the spring reveal.

dLMN8R

What was delayed?

Lucius86

Banned
So my SP4 i7 model seems to have started a bloody awful issue - on my main Surface display if the screen is static for ~5 seconds it starts flickering, with clear distortion at the top of the screen.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkDJmSLfAchDh7E1vFSo3S5Ao0n8gA

If there is any moving content it stops - this includes a blinking cursor on the display or video.

My second monitor does not have the issue, just the primary display. Happens when connected to power, without power, without a second display, with and without the Type Cover....before and after the Creator's update (I updated last night in case it fixed the issue).

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Surface drivers, to no avail. I don't know exactly when this started, but it is definitely a new-ish issue. New Intel display drivers downloaded direct from them do not work. Worst thing is I am now out of warranrty so it will cost me to repair.

Anyone know where I can download legacy Surface display driver from to check it isn't a new update? Or any other suggestions to try?

ty_hot

What was delayed?
Thefe were rumours of a new Surface Book releasing in April, maybe with new (or updated) Surface Pros... these were supposed to come with the new windows update.

Yday MS announced that they will be releasing the (old) Surface Book and Surface Studio in more countries. That is it.

The dream is dead.

Thefe were rumours of a new Surface Book releasing in April, maybe with new (or updated) Surface Pros... these were supposed to come with the new windows update.

Yday MS announced that they will be releasing the (old) Surface Book and Surface Studio in more countries. That is it.

The dream is dead.

There were no credible rumors and rumors are not announcements. So no, nothing got delayed.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wait, are we thinking there won't be a spring hardware announcement now, due to the statement the other day?

There will be, but there may not be Book 2. Instead a new device. But Pro 5 most likely is being announced next month.

I hope the Pro 5 includes a sim card slot. I dislike having to set up tethering and using battery power on two devices just to get internet when I'm outside.

chekhonte

I hope the Pro 5 includes a sim card slot. I dislike having to set up tethering and using battery power on two devices just to get internet when I'm outside.

I'd be too worried about all the background network usage to ever connect a windows 10 machine to a mobile network with limited data.

Blackhead

Redarse
Wait, are we thinking there won't be a spring hardware announcement now, due to the statement the other day?
I suspect Microsoft is waiting for Apple's April event so they can embarrass them again

There will be, but there may not be Book 2. Instead a new device. But Pro 5 most likely is being announced next month.
One the one hand there's so much basic stuff I want from Microsoft (e.g. Surface Mini, fix and complete Windows tablet mode, eGPU...) but on the other hand Microsoft's surprises keep elevating the bar.
I'd be too worried about all the background network usage to ever connect a windows 10 machine to a mobile network with limited data.
You can indicate to Windows that a connected network is metered and it'll prevent the background network usage. I wish OSX had that

Windows 10 has a feature to limit bandwidth usage on metered connections like that. It even covers OS updates since the Creator's Update.

ksdixon

I have to say that since breaking my Spro1 128gb recently I've been on an old laptop with approximately 650gb hdd capacity. Being able to, say, sync all of onedrive at once, and have more than one USB port has been something of an eye-opener. Here's hoping the larger hdd capacity sku's aren't ridiculously priced again.

Dynasty

I have to say that since breaking my Spro1 128gb recently I've been on an old laptop with approximately 650gb hdd capacity. Being able to, say, sync all of onedrive at once, and have more than one USB port has been something of an eye-opener. Here's hoping the larger hdd capacity sku's aren't ridiculously priced again.

They use SSDs in the Surface Pro but I agree they are expensive.

That something has been Ryzen mobile chips maybe? Other candidates is probably the Creator's update for Windows.
But what does CU adds to these devices? It was supposed to be a big event for them indeed, but every thing is now expected to hit alongside Redstone 3 (cshell for instance).

Edit: That has been quite the trend with win10 actually. Every update was supposed to bring new features that bring these devices together and when they start working on it they get stuck on "onecore refactoring" and end up cutting everything to the next. The creators update was already delayed to this year due that, and ended up being a way lesser update than expected, and now Rs3 is supposed to be this giant update that will fix everything but we know better now on how this usually goes.

dLMN8R

The dream is dead.

That's not a delay. That's Microsoft never acknowledging the existence of anything, never announcing the release dates for anything, the rumor mill taking non-credible rumors and running with them, only to be proven wrong when those non-credible rumors don't come true.

Then those press outlets foolish enough to believe non-credible rumors claim that something was "delayed" in order to absolve themselves of blame of running bad stories in the first place.

But we did went for a full year without a refresh on their devices, so something was delayed, even if we don't know it.

No, that's not how it works.

It's not like manufacturers have a magical device magically available once every 12 months regardless of how or why the product should exist, and that "something was delayed" if nothing new comes out within that arbitrary 12-month window.

Sometimes things are deliberately planned from the very beginning for a specific schedule to come out at a specific time.

But you still can't delay a product that was never acknowledged (let alone announced) to exist in the first place.

But what does CU adds to these devices? It was supposed to be a big event for them indeed, but every thing is now expected to hit alongside Redstone 3 (cshell for instance).

Edit: That has been quite the trend with win10 actually. Every update was supposed to bring new features that bring these devices together and when they start working on it they get stuck on "onecore refactoring" and end up cutting everything to the next. The creators update was already delayed to this year due that, and ended up being a way lesser update than expected, and now Rs3 is supposed to be this giant update that will fix everything but we know better now on how this usually goes.

Where are you getting this information?

As someone who has actually worked on Windows for nearly a decade, the notion that the Creators Update was ever planned for 2016 would be pretty hilarious if it weren't so utterly impossible. RS1 and RS2 were both huge, have a ton of features, and I don't think anyone ever expected internally (and certainly never publicly announced) that they would both come out in 2016.

CU adds a lot for me personally as someone who uses these devices for art. I also suspect that the Wacom dual protocol pen is also delayed for the CU. It will make Surface Pro 5 something I just won't dismiss out of hand due to N-Trig.

BTW, SP5 better have quite a trick up its sleeve to contend with the likes of Lenovo's Miix 720, now that it has NVMe SSD and other upgraded features from Miix 700. And I can guarantee you that Miix 720 will undercut similar SP5 by several hundered dollars. Amaze me Panos.

Is there any tempered glass screen protector that doesn't run all the way to the corner and just covers the screen? I have a broken corner, but the tactile screen and pen work fine, and I want to prevent the screen from disintegrating.

sheaaaa

So is this a bad time to pick up a Surface Pro 4? I need a laptop-type solution as soon as possible, and the Pro 4 looks great. But if Pro 5 is going to be announced any day now that would really leave a bad taste in my mouth. Any trade-in programmes anywhere?

Amazing job with the software Microsoft. Since applying the major update a couple of hours ago, the camera recognition thing won't work on my SP4 like 4 out of 5 times...

Amazing job with the software Microsoft. Since applying the major update a couple of hours ago, the camera recognition thing won't work on my SP4 like 4 out of 5 times...

Maybe try to just run the Windows Hello setup again? Mine has major speed improvements with recognition since the update.

Soi-Fong

Waiting for the new Surface Book. I was thinking of getting the new MBP, but the inclusion of Skylake instead of Kaby Lake is preventing me from pulling the trigger.

I just need something light to code on that I can lightly game on.

Sol Mori

Even though it says brand new, it's probably a refurb. If it's MS refurb it's one thing, but I don't know about this deal.

It is the 4GB i5 version, so it probably is brand new. I've seen deals like before because I don't think the 4GB version is all that popular.

Even though it says brand new, it's probably a refurb. If it's MS refurb it's one thing, but I don't know about this deal.

It arrived today, sealed! Now time to surprise the wife and go pick out a keyboard cover for it. :D

Any issues with the gray felt one?

5118000cv15d.jpg

Protein

Banned
Microsoft Word and some other office apps are lagging a bit. I'll find 3-4 second pauses while I'm typing and it's driving me insane. Is there anyway I can return my 4gb model for an 8gb and pay the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom