• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon US/UM From Famitsu Interview

The story is fun and the characters are back to gen 5 standards. I'm happy about it, not every game needs to be a simulator or open world.

The world feels more alive when the characters actually interact with each other and do stuff like Hala fighting Buzzwole. I never got to care about XY's gym leaders because they were just static characters locked in gyms.

really? that scene made it more alive?
they show him looking at it, then its never shown or brought up again. It was lazy as fuck in both writing and presentation.

JoeM86

Legendaries is not a "fan grouping". It's a term that has been used explicitly across the games and anime. UBs are equivalent to Legendary, but unlike the Guardian Deities and Silvally, Game Freak has never referred to them as Legendary. Not at this stage anyway. If I'm missing some recent mention, feel free to correct me.

I know it's semantics, but I'm hesitant to apply the term for them until Game Freak confirms it for good. For all we know, there may be more Ultra Beasts in Gen 8, separate from the regular Legendaries, and still following their unique design principles, their otherworldly origin and their appearance in flocks.

No, but Legendary Beasts, Legendary Birds, Legendary Golems etc. are fan groupings and that's what you're using.

In the game's code and in Game Freak's eyes, they're just Legendary Pokémon within the sub-legend category in the game code. Yes they have been grouped together in media, but that's no different to Ultra Beasts being grouped together and the Guardian Deities, it's just different because those have official names.

GoldStarz

GoldStarz, I'm right there with you regarding Game Freak's unwillingness to give lore to Mythicals lately. Pokémon like Volcanion and Marshadow feel completely non-existent in the games. But do you really think they treated Darkrai or pre-ORAS Deoxys better than Hoopa? Those single-room events are fine, but I think Hoopa's rings were a big step up from them, a more effective and subtle communication of Hoopa's powers. That said, I do wish they would at least return to the single-room events rather than what we got with Diancie, Volcanion, Magearna, and Marshadow.
Darkrai was also heavily involved in Cresselia's event since it's the one causing the Sailor's son's bad dreams, although I have a similar criticism for her event as I do with the Hoopa rings in that her island should have been an actual area, not just a walkway and the place where you activate her roaming.

They reused the birds and Mewtwo for the trio and postgame legendary, respectively in XY which was strange.
Not really strange when you consider that Gen 6 was super pandering to Genwunners.

The 3DS games have not been great. I don't want more of the same easy ass game.
Gen 6 wasn't great, Sun and Moon were excellent, even if they had a lot of room for improvement.

really? that scene made it more alive?
they show him looking at it, then its never shown or brought up again. It was lazy as fuck in both writing and presentation.

Yes? Small scenes like that help to feel the world is alive, that it doesn't need your main character around to exist. Hala was fighting against Buzzwole, he got involved with something that happened in the main plot (the release of the UBs). Compare that to a character like Ramos in XY, I know nothing about him - he exists just as a NPC that will fight me one time and I'll never get to interact with again.

Just small scenes like that one with Hala gives context to these characters and makes the story more memorable. BW had lots of these moments too and that's a big reason why I think it's the best Pokémon generation.

Yes? Small scenes like that help to feel the world is alive, that it doesn't need your main character around to exist. Hala was fighting against Buzzwole, he got involved with something that happened in the main plot (the release of the UBs). Compare that to a character like Ramos in XY, I know nothing about him - he exists just as a NPC that will fight me one time and I'll never get to interact with again.

Just small scenes like that one with Hala gives context to these characters and makes the story more memorable. BW had lots of these moments too and that's a big reason why I think it's the best Pokémon generation.

I felt the opposite in that it was an indication of being rushed/unfinished. The UB were so hyped up and that one scene was about the extent of the supposed calamity that was unleashed that amounted to basically nothing. Its almost like theyre putting the content that didnt make it into ultra s/m.

ash_ag

No, but Legendary Beasts, Legendary Birds, Legendary Golems etc. are fan groupings and that's what you're using.

In the game's code and in Game Freak's eyes, they're just Legendary Pokémon within the sub-legend category in the game code. Yes they have been grouped together in media, but that's no different to Ultra Beasts being grouped together and the Guardian Deities, it's just different because those have official names.

If you think "Legendary Pokémon" is a term that has no bearing in the Pokémon canon and is simply there to dictate what is legal in tournaments and such, then maybe so. My point is that the SubLegends group exists simply to make it easier to determine what is legal in competitions, rather than dictate anything lore-related. UBs could turn out to be a Legendary sub-group like the Beasts, Guardians, etc., but they may as well turn out to be a distinct Pokémon group, rather than a Legendary sub-group. We have to wait and see what Game Freak and TPC do with them in the future.

I didn't know it wasn't a sequel, now I don't feel so bad about selling Moon during that 50%+ trade-in deal at Gamestop. Made my money back with Moon which I had barely played so far.

I'll probably jump on US/UM though, I think I'm finally ready for another Pokemon game. It goes in cycles for me, I'll get super into a Pokemon game and then get super excited and get it in my head that I'm going to play ALL of them and get all the pokemon... then I finish one and lose interest in marathoning them for another couple of years until I get the itch again, haha.

JoeM86

If you think "Legendary Pokémon" is a term that has no bearing in the Pokémon canon and is simply there to dictate what is legal in tournaments and such, then maybe so. My point is that the SubLegends group exists simply to make it easier to determine what is legal in competitions, rather than dictate anything lore-related. UBs could turn out to be a Legendary sub-group like the Beasts, Guardians, etc., but they may as well turn out to be a distinct Pokémon group, rather than a Legendary sub-group. We have to wait and see what Game Freak and TPC do with them in the future.

For me, they're categorised as Legendary Pokémon by Game Freak in the code (and they're hidden when you disable Legendary Pokémon on the GTS) and that's enough.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck, let's face it...it's a bloody duck.

I thought UBs were categorized under the legendary umbrella in the game code?

They are.

The story is fun and the characters are back to gen 5 standards. I'm happy about it, not every game needs to be a simulator or open world.

The world feels more alive when the characters actually interact with each other and do stuff like Hala fighting Buzzwole. I never got to care about XY's gym leaders because they were just static characters locked in gyms.

...what? Characters in SuMo are nowhere near Gen V's quality.

ash_ag

For me, they're categorised as Legendary Pokémon by Game Freak in the code (and they're hidden when you disable Legendary Pokémon on the GTS) and that's enough.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck, let's face it...it's a bloody duck.

They could turn out to be geese to Legendaries' ducks. :p

Good point on GTS though. That's indeed one place where they're kinda-sorta referred to as Legendary, and if I recall correctly, "Exclude Legendary and Mythical Pokémon" in Gen 7 replaced Gen 6's more ambiguous "Exclude Special Pokémon".

Lusamine is Ghetsis but good. Lillie is probably the second best character in the series, just losing to N too. And SM even has other great characters like Kukui, Nanu and Guzma.

Let's not pretend gen V was some kind of holy grail of writing too, people

Ghetsis is a pretty shitty villain, in fact

The "twist" near the end was pretty comical when he reveals that he was evil the entire time! He slips up once when you first meet him but keeps the act up until that point lol. His end-game was pretty much Giovanni 2.0 as well.

I did like how N and some of his supporters genuinely did care about Pokemon. Makes sence why Plasma split up into two separate factions in B2W2.

Kinglypuff

Neo Member
BW also gains points from Gym Leaders actually playing a part in the storyline. Cheren and Bianca are also interesting characters with clear arcs and motivations, and seeing them evolve in B2W2 makes it all the more rewarding.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for more cutscenes, watching them for the first time wasn't an issue. It's just the second and third times was where I started having problems.

Please make them skippable for replayability at least.
Speaking as someone who was bothered by the cutscenes on his first playthrough, and also doesn't like to skip them when playing a game for the first time, this would be a nightmare for me. I hope they remove every cutscene from the first 2 islands instead of adding more.

GoldStarz

Let's not pretend gen V was some kind of holy grail of writing too, people

Ghetsis is a pretty shitty villain, in fact
Ghetsis was a great villain. He was so unrepentantly evil and pretty messed up by Pokemon villain standards.

The "twist" near the end was pretty comical when he reveals that he was evil the entire time! He slips up once when you first meet him but keeps the act up until that point lol. His end-game was pretty much Giovanni 2.0 as well.

I did like how N and some of his supporters genuinely did care about Pokemon. Makes sence why Plasma split up into two separate factions in B2W2.

Not really. Giovanni is just running a mafia, he does acts of villainy, but they're all contained and comparatively small-time. Neither he or the second Team Rocket have ever shown a desire in trying to actually take over a region. Ghetsis, on the other hand, is completely geared towards domination. His first plan is actually pretty clever and the only reason it doesn't really work as well from a writing perspective is that most of the Team Plasma goons that you fight are pretty upfront about the team's mission being a fraud rather than just seeming like radicals buying into their cause (which, like you said, we know there were members of Team Plasma like that). His plan is B2W2 is a bit less thought out, but he gets bonus points for literally freezing an entire city over.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Now that the Generation is over I got hope that Trials don't come back and they put Gyms back in (I wouldn't mind a combination of both) and that they stop adding so many Legendary Pokemon in one Generation.

I mean 23 new Legendaries? What were they thinking? Quite literally 27% of the new Sun & Moon Pokemon are locked out to me due to a 18 year old self imposed rule to never use Legendary Pokemon.

The emphasis on Story is OK but it's not my cup of tea since Game Freak is very unlikely to ever write something of interest due to having to keep things "family friendly". I would like something more serious and less campy....maybe get Kazunori Orio as a writer again? I did like the story of Pokemon Colosseum.

Wait, so this is the biggest third version yet? You mean what I've been telling people for months and they've been dismissing me as a shill was correct?

Really excited about this :)

Yeah if there is anything a 3rd version should have added it was 2x more story /s

The issues people have with the games is that they don't appear to be fixing any of the problems from the first ones. The incredibly short and sweet trials? Complete regression in online features from XY? Lack of above sub-par new Pokemon? The Alola forms were some of the best "new" additions in the generation and instead of adding more they give us more Ultra Beasts whom frankly, no one asked for.

At least they mentioned there might be something of a post-game this time. The only encouraging bit of news so far.

Puruzi

Banned
Yeah if there is anything a 3rd version should have added it was 2x more story /s

The issues people have with the games is that they don't appear to be fixing any of the problems from the first ones. The incredibly short and sweet trials? Complete regression in online features from XY? Lack of above sub-par new Pokemon? The Alola forms were some of the best "new" additions in the generation and instead of adding more they give us more Ultra Beasts whom frankly, no one asked for.

At least they mentioned there might be something of a post-game this time. The only encouraging bit of news so far.

whatever. people said it was the most barebones and it barely had anything new and they were 100% wrong

Ghetsis was a great villain. He was so unrepentantly evil and pretty messed up by Pokemon villain standards.

Not really. Giovanni is just running a mafia, he does acts of villainy, but they're all contained and comparatively small-time. Neither he or the second Team Rocket have ever shown a desire in trying to actually take over a region. Ghetsis, on the other hand, is completely geared towards domination. His first plan is actually pretty clever and the only reason it doesn't really work as well from a writing perspective is that most of the Team Plasma goons that you fight are pretty upfront about the team's mission being a fraud rather than just seeming like radicals buying into their cause (which, like you said, we know there were members of Team Plasma like that). His plan is B2W2 is a bit less thought out, but he gets bonus points for literally freezing an entire city over.
Well I'll agree that Giovanni never managed to do anything large-scale, I do think that Team Rocket were trying to take over the world in the long run. He says this during the Celebi event in HG/SS:

"My old associates need me... We will not repeat the failure of three years ago! Team Rocket will be born again, and I will rule the world!"

I'm not sure if this is just a translation error (I think the translation also left out direct confirmation that Silver was Giovanni's son), but I think both wanting to control all Pokemon does make their goals very similar.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Is a double length script meant to entice me? The constant nonsense in SM is what puts me off continuing/finishing Moon (bought both versions for the first time ever - mistake on my part).

I'll almost certainly skip Ultra, I think SM burned me out on the series. They'll need to make a lot of improvements to the series (the framerate shocked me when I returned to Moon the other day, I forgot just how abysmal it is) if I'm going to buy the next one, hopefully on Switch).

It's nice to hear there's a lot of new content, but I do wish they had just gone with a full sequel. I don't know if I want to replay large chunks of Sun/Moon.

He’s also the only villain to try and straight up kill the player before battling them and also the only one to realize they should take precautions to prevent the player catching the legendary that’s essential to their evil plot

Maxinas

Is a double length script meant to entice me? The constant nonsense in SM is what puts me off continuing/finishing Moon (bought both versions for the first time ever - mistake on my part).

I'll almost certainly skip Ultra, I think SM burned me out on the series. They'll need to make a lot of improvements to the series (the framerate shocked me when I returned to Moon the other day, I forgot just how abysmal it is) if I'm going to buy the next one, hopefully on Switch).
Isn’t that what all the kids want these days? The cinematic experience!

I’m still convinced nothing gamefreak shits out now will ever surpass B2/W2 in terms of content/features.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Isn’t that what all the kids want these days? The cinematic experience!

I’m still convinced nothing gamefreak shits out now will ever surpass B2/W2 in terms of content/features.

B2W2 is actually one I missed, I'm always tempted to get a copy every time someone mentions it as it's always spoken highly of.

B2W2 is actually one I missed, I'm always tempted to get a copy every time someone mentions it as it's always spoken highly of.

I wish I experienced it when it was current. I find it exceptionally difficult to go back to Pokemon games after G/S/C. The originals feel primitive enough that I can take them for what they were, but the Advance generation and onward always feel like too much is "missing" because I'm used to the newer games.

Skipping Gen V is one of my bigger regrets as a fan.

Ironically BW2 is the one that burned me out. I only played B2 when I usually get both. I hate it too, because I never got to really experience the World Tournament or Black Tower.

EndMerit

-There's new game content where players can roam around the Ultra Hole and go to different dimensions.
In the old game content players could roam around the region's routes and go to different cities.
This is a huge step-up. An evolution, even.

PSqueak

Banned
-There's new game content where players can roam around the Ultra Hole and go to different dimensions.

It just hit me.

This could lead to a randomly generated mini maps like the ones on the single player in Pocket Mortys, which were like micro dungeon styled gyms.

Aleh

How? Because I disagree.
Let’s start from the villain, Lusamine is a lot better because she doesn’t just want world domination. She had her husband disappear because of his research on Ultra Beasts, then entered in contact with one that started intoxicating her slowly driving her mad and her children stole the Pokémon she was using to presumably try to get him back. Awesome interactions between her and Lillie.
Ghetsis just wanted world domination and didn’t really have much going on besides that.

Next up, Bianca and Cheren vs Lillie and Hau. Lillie obviously goes through much more character development than basically any other character in the series, Hau also felt more alive as a rival than Cheren for example in the way he expressed emotions, but was probably simpler overall.

Kukui and Guzma were both awesome characters, same as Nanu and others such as Acerola and Hapu.

Gladion was a bit underdeveloped and N was probably the best in BW.

At the end of the day SM had way more memorable characters and most of them were also written better, I feel.

MicH

Alola forms were the best damn thing in SM. Why aren't they adding more?
I agree, it's such a missed opportunity. Gen 2 Alolan forms would've been incredible. It's an alternate story/dimension so even if the Pokemon showed up in S/M you could still justify them being different in USUM.

GoldStarz

Let’s start from the villain, Lusamine is a lot better because she doesn’t just want world domination. She had her husband disappear because of his research on Ultra Beasts, then entered in contact with one that started intoxicating her slowly driving her mad and her children stole the Pokémon she was using to presumably try to get him back. Awesome interactions between her and Lillie.
Ghetsis just wanted world domination and didn’t really have much going on besides that.

Next up, Bianca and Cheren vs Lillie and Hau. Lillie obviously goes through much more character development than basically any other character in the series, Hau also felt more alive as a rival than Cheren for example in the way he expressed emotions, but was probably simpler overall.

Kukui and Guzma were both awesome characters, same as Nanu and others such as Acerola and Hapu.

Gladion was a bit underdeveloped and N was probably the best in BW.

At the end of the day SM had way more memorable characters and most of them were also written better, I feel.

That's all your argument comes down to though, your personal feelings.

While it's true that Lusamine is a more complex character, like we just discussed in the thread, Ghetsis makes for an amazing villain in his simplicity. Also, while most of your reasons for what happened with Lusamine is pure headcanon. All we know is that Mohn disappeared and Lusamine became obsessed with 'loving Pokémon', and later Nihilego specifically. But back to the topic, a simple villain is not inherently better than a complex one, they both have merits and what matters is if they work. In this case, both do.

For the rivals, well Lillie isn't a rival, Gladion is closer to that role, but even your reason stated with Cheren comes down to opinion. Cheren is a stoic and calculating person so yeah he's not obnoxiously cheerful (not an insult, btw) like Hau, but he's not supposed to be. He's the 'tough rival' like Gladion, but unlike Gladion, he does have a character arc as he tries to gather why he keeps losing and falling behind despite studying to be a trainer his whole life and eventually comes to realize that it doesn't matter if he can't be the best. Hau does kinda have an arc where he learns to grow up, but it's kind of weak, although so is Bianca's since the big moment for her arc (being confronted by her das to come home after running away) is about halfway through the game when they should have saved it for later. Of course, the BW rivals also have a bit of a leg up since they have sequels showing where they end up, but it's not really fair to compare those until USUM comes out.

Also let's not pretend that BW doesn't have a host of interesting side characters with all of the gym leaders being portrayed as having jobs and lives outside of their role as a boss for the MC to overcome.

I think N and Lillie are both really interesting characters, Lillie for her amazing character growth through the game and N for the question he brings to his game and his slow acceptance that trainers can get along with their Pokémon.

also fuck mobile this took forever to write

Aleh

Well of course everything comes down to personal opinion, I don’t think this has to be specified. He asked why I said that and so I answered :)

Top Bottom