• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shyamalan announces sequel to Unbreakable on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Bruce Willis is getting pretty damn old, I don't know about this.

1upsuper

Interesting. I wonder if Shyamalan will bother to do his homework on Jackson's character's disability this time or just roll with what he did the first time. Might not even matter, depending on where this movie goes.

teiresias

Wait, Split is a super hero movie in the same universe as Unbreakable? I haven't seen it yet, but would never have guessed from the trailers.

Wait, Split is a super hero movie in the same universe as Unbreakable? I haven't seen it yet, but would never have guessed from the trailers.

You were never meant to guess it either. It plays throughout the whole movie like a horror/thriller and then at the end reveals that it's a new villain set in the unbreakable universe. Basically David's next mark

^ Really? No spoiler tags?

The fact Split is set in the Unbreakable universe isnt' a spoiler anymore. There's no need to tag it.

Split now has to stand on its own as a story without 100% relying on the "twist" of it's being a pseudo-sequel to Unbreakable.

Sorta like most everyone watching Unbreakable goes into it knowing it's somehow a superhero movie.

If it's a good movie, that foreknowledge won't actually ruin anything.

ZOONAMI

Thread title is a major spoiler, op ever heard of an ellipsis, and then say sequel to more than one film and spoiler tweet.

I guess split has been out long enough now I guess maybe we don't need to keep worrying about spoilers.

ZOONAMI

Bruce Willis is getting pretty damn old, I don't know about this.

Haley Joel to play Bruce's son who has inherited unbreakable ability.

haley-joel-osment-2015.png

That reminds me they should just recast his son. The kid from gladiator ain't done much since

And his wife and kid have to be a big part of this movie.

rec0ded1

When I'm on my deathbed one of my greatest memories will be going to the theater after work and checking out this movie called unbreakable that I knew nothing about. Hadn't seen trailers or read anything about it and just knew that it was an M.Night film.

Even though some ass spoiled split for me, it still got me so hyped when the
same music
that got me so hyped was there in split.

Glass Rebel

Split was pretty good, despite the third act dragging it down considerably. The reveal at the end was alright in theory but delivered in such a crappy way I had to laugh. Still, very much looking forward to this.

Renpatsu

Calling the film Glass pretty much cements Jackson taking on a much more active role in the narrative especially now that within the universe they don't need to play coy with his role in several terrorist attacks.

Chumley

Banned
The fact Split is set in the Unbreakable universe isnt' a spoiler anymore. There's no need to tag it.

Split now has to stand on its own as a story without 100% relying on the "twist" of it's being a pseudo-sequel to Unbreakable.

Sorta like most everyone watching Unbreakable goes into it knowing it's somehow a superhero movie.

If it's a good movie, that foreknowledge won't actually ruin anything.

It won't ruin anything, but it's more fun when you don't know. I remember seeing Unbreakable as a kid not knowing it was a superhero film going into it, blew my mind.

Haha his film won't be what we expect.. it's being done under Blumhouse, the most notorious penny-pinchers in town. Jason Blum is the modern day Roger Corman. Anyone expecting some sprawling, huge budget Unbreakable sequel is in for some disappointment.

gamz

Haha his film won't be what we expect.. it's being done under Blumhouse, the most notorious penny-pinchers in town. Jason Blum is the modern day Roger Corman. Anyone expecting some sprawling, huge budget Unbreakable sequel is in for some disappointment.

And Universal. It certainly won't be 10M unless the cast all take back-end deals. This will certainly be more then Visit and Split put together.

Even if it stays low budget why would anyone be disappointed? This series isn't the typical SH CGI fest we've know for the past decade.

I think Blumhouse is mostly handling distribution. The Visit and Split were mostly self financed by M. Night himself.
And a Unbreakable sequel doesn't need an huge budget. This isn't the Avengers.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't seen Split yet reading this thread.

Literally watched Split a three days ago. As a huge Unbreakable fan, I'm so glad that somehow the Split ending wasn't spoiled for me. The moment that iconic Unbreakable track started playing near the end, my wife and I were looking at each other in sheer disbelief.

And then this announcement today ... wow.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I say lose the kid and just bring back Robin Wright. Kid can be written out.

What if the kid has powers too ... I didn't mind the kid at all in the first film which is unusual because I tend to hate all kids in Hollywood movies. The Horde might go after Supers since they might provide more nourishment or even personalities, and Willis's kid is targeted and the story goes on from there.

Actually for all of Shyamalan's faults and Airbender, I didn't mind the kid(s) in Signs, Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable.

Pachimari

I just watched and finished Unbreakable for the first time because of this thread, and I had no idea it was kind of a superhero movie too, which I wasn't in the mood for as I had just been watching a lot of them. I found the movie to be alright but it'll probably be highly forgettable. I wasn't sold on any of the acting, and found the link between these two rather uninteresting. I liked how grounded it was and how it was played as a thriller instead of a superhero movie like we see today.

Now I'm curious as to the ending of Split. Should watch that sometime next month.

Maybe they will join forces to take on The Horde.

If Shyamalan is following comic / myth structure, this is a forgone conclusion, but not until after David Dunn gets his ass handed to him first.

I'm wondering from who's point of view will the story be? There are a lot of ways you could go with this.

Akahige

Split was a damn good return to form for Night even without the Unbreakable sequel tease. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

And yes get James Newton Howard back as the composer.

GKnight

Banned
So... Mr. Glass has just been sitting in jail for 17 years... he hears about the Hordes super duper powers and decides to... make them fight each other?
That seems like the most obvious way to play this out but it doesn't really sound like a Shammy film...

Dalek

If you had told me on Thanksgiving night back in 2000 that there would be a sequel to the movie I just watched but not for nearly 2 decades that would have been mental torture.

If you had told me on Thanksgiving night back in 2000 that there would be a sequel to the movie I just watched but not for nearly 2 decades that would have been mental torture.

I wonder if anybody even expected a sequel to it at the time. The movie lends itself to being a one-off

Shyamalan making split a surprise sequel/spinoff that you don't know you're watching until it's over was a great decision. With unbreakable 3 we have all these expectations now. It better not be some conventional superhero thing. It's gotta have a hook I think

Dalek

I wonder if anybody even expected a sequel to it at the time. The movie lends itself to being a one-off

Shyamalan making split a surprise sequel/spinoff that you don't know you're watching until it's over was a great decision. With unbreakable 3 we have all these expectations now. It better not be some conventional superhero thing. It's gotta have a hook I think

I remember reading a bunch of interviews with him very vividly when it came out-and also when Signs was released he was asked about it. He said he had a plan to make a trilogy - the sequel would be named Breakable and the third movie would be called Broken.

Yes I was a little obsessed with the original movie at the time-I have no other explanation as to why I can still remember this 17 years later.

Probably would have been pretty good after signs. I think he still had his mojo then

It's great to see him back on form again now tho, and man McAvoy is so underrated. Dude put in work on this film and he can be quite menacing and yet hilarious

having just watched Split and not having had it spoiled, that ending, man, and now this.

I'm just damned happy now.

It's like 2002 all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom