• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shyamalan announces sequel to Unbreakable on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me this won't be as profitable personally for Night as Split was. I can't see Blumhouse letting him put up his own money again based on what happened with Split.

Disney owns Unbreakable and all of the characters in the film. Shyamalaan made a gentlemens deal with Disney to use the character David Dunn in Split for free just as long as Disney gets to be involved in the sequel. So expect it to be joint venture between Blumhouse/Shyamalan, Universal, and Disney.

What a time to be alive. Shyamalan has redeemed himself!

The madman went and made a plot twist out of his own career.

Enjoyed the hell out of Split, and recently re-watched Unbreakable, still remains one of the greatest hero "origin" stories on the big screen. Can't wait for this.

gamz

Disney owns Unbreakable and all of the characters in the film. Shyamalaan made a gentlemens deal with Disney to use the character David Dunn in Split for free just as long as Disney gets to be involved in the sequel. So expect it to be joint venture between Blumhouse/Shyamalan, Universal, and Disney.

I'm surprised Disney wasn't mentioned yet?

Fisty

First question: when did the public opinion on Unbreakable turn around? The movie was mediocre at best and iirc was not very well-recieved at release

Second question: is Bruce going to sleepwalk through this role like every role he's played in the last 10 years?

I just hope Night remembers that David Dunn is a human being that just happens to be Unbreakable. He's a sensitive man who needs his wife when he's had a bad dream so he feels better. Please don't lose that quality.

On that note, I really want to see Robin Wright returning.

Pandy

First question: when did the public opinion on Unbreakable turn around? The movie was mediocre at best and iirc was not very well-recieved at release

Second question: is Bruce going to sleepwalk through this role like every role he's played in the last 10 years?

I've always thought it was his best film. Or at least, it was the one I enjoyed most, which isn't necessarily the same thing.

gamz

Years ago. And it was never medicore just poorly marketed on release.

wildfire

Banned
Well you would have to see Unbreakable first and also not know Spilt had anything to do with Unbreakable. So when you see the ending to Split you'll know and it's fucking awesome. :) I just thought Split was another M. Night thriller and nothing more.

Watching Unbreakable isn't important in order to watch Split. It's a very enjoyable movie in its own regard.

Years ago. And it was never medicore just poorly marketed on release.

Poorly marketed is sort of right and sort of wrong. It's understandable what they were trying to do with Unbreakable and throughout the movie they took a lot of effort to try and get a new audience invested into comicbook mythology.

The Unbreakable marketing wasn't a bait and switch. It was a calculated gamble in trying to create another Sixth Sense phenomena.

Awesome, never had intentions to see Split, but guess I have to now.

Its ok, not the end all be all. Its a slow burn with a strange ending. I think my fav part was the link to Unbreakable, other than that , it was just ok.

Compared to The Happening, Lady in the Water, Last AB, its the greatest movie ever made.

Eidan

People have considered it to be one of M. Night's best films for a while now. I remember a lot of the criticism of the movie on release centering on its "twist" not being as good as The Sixth Sense's. Which is pretty shallow.

Fisty

It's his best film and it's ace.

It's one of the best comic book origin stories ever made.

X11O5.gif

I remember the reception to Unbreakable being pretty positive around release. Especially so a couple years after. Not like Sixth Sense positive, but still up there.

Luckily that would kind of fit his character in Unbreakable lol.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's his best film and it's ace.

Truth.

Unbreakable is the only M. Night movie that you can seriously analyze post-viewing and take away anything further than the sophomoric surface-layer cheese the rest of his catalog has produced, in my eyes.

Unbreakable is so much better than Signs, The Village, The Lady in the Water, Split, etc, that it feels like M. Night watched a different director produce that film and then tried to measure up since viewing.

Truth.

Unbreakable is the only M. Night movie that you can seriously analyze post-viewing and take away anything further than the sophomoric surface-layer cheese the rest of his catalog has produced, in my eyes.

Unbreakable is so much better than Signs, The Village, The Lady in the Water, Split, etc, that it feels like M. Night watched a different director produce that film and then tried to measure up since viewing.

The Village is up there for me as far as post viewing. The dialogue and score are masterful. Who ever wrote the screenplay is a god.

Fisty

I guess if you want back into the good graces of moviegoers, all you have to do is turn your 15 year old one-off comic book movie into a cinematic universe owned by Disney.

Congrats to M. Night, I suppose

You're brain washed on the current state of SH films and blinded by originality.

Ah so I don't like a film I haven't seen in 10 years because of Marvel's saccharine superhero movies and DC's dour snoozefests? Good to know

Man when they were playing the Unbreakable theme at the end of Split, I was the only person in the theater who was losing their shit (My buddy hadn't seen Unbreakable)

This made it worth watching Split (imo his worst film so far).

Someone didn't see the Happening.

I guess if you want back into the good graces of moviegoers, all you have to do is turn your 15 year old one-off comic book movie into a cinematic universe owned by Disney.

Eh, The Visit was alright too, shockingly enough. Split more-so, regardless of not being in love it with it.

It's almost like he's made 2 good movies in a row now too or something?

gamz

Ah so I don't like a film I haven't seen in 10 years because of Marvel's saccharine superhero movies and DC's dour snoozefests? Good to know

If you haven't seen it in 10 years rewatch it. Seriously. It made me appreciate it more.

Watched Split last night, its alright, but McAvoy does some great acting in there... By the end you think its a bit over the top and wtf, but the Easter egg explains it... and guess by track record of his previous films it shouldn't have been unexpected.

I.e Split, if you watch the trailers, looks like a psychological thriller of sorts, and it is... but it isn't :)

People don't agree with your opinion. Deal with it.
This really isn't hard to understand too lol. Unbreakable is considered one of his better movies and got good reception, the visit was alright and got decent reception, split was pretty good too and also got great reception. Now he's making a sequel to two of his better movies with a talented cast to boot. If someone didn't like them fine but stop acting like you're taking crazy pills or being trolled or something, you're in the minority opinion. Either explain what you didn't like about the movies or understand that people have different tastes that don't align with yours lol.

Truant

Unbreakable got a mixed reception upon release. It's not until the last 6-7 or so years that people are seeing its true greatness. Like many have posted here before, the film is even more relevant now in the wake of comic book blockbusters.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The twist is that the first Unbreakable movie went back and rewrote everyone's memory and apparently made them think Mr Glass had powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom