• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading, April?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Currently reading The Stand Uncut by Stephen King.

When I get done with that it'll be the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

Both were purchased with a gift card from my sister back from Christmas, so I've clearly been a bit delayed in starting them.

Mifune

Mehmber
837312.jpg

I really like Lethem's sci-fi stuff.

deadbeef

A really cool memoir:

14587214.JPG

And I've started the audiobook version of Game of Thrones. When I get all the way up to Storm of Swords, I'll start reading the SOIAF books again.

WedgeX

Banned
warandpeace.jpg

Got this as a graduation (from college) present from my parents early, so I've decided to start reading it now. Started Sunday and I'm just getting in to volume 2 (so about...290 pages in). I dropped Kennedy by Theodore Sorensen to start it, and definitely am not regretting it.

Just finished All_the_King's_Men by Robert Penn Warren.

I am sort of split in my opinion on it. In many ways I think it was not all that but in some way it does not seem to leave my head either... It lingers.

Also I got a PS3 a few days back and this morning as I was checking out trailers in the store I found one for All_the_King's_Men. :lol

Gonna track that movie down.

FnordChan

51F4jL5s%2BWL._SS500_.jpg

I'm about a hundred pages away from wrapping up Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, the second half of the prequel to their Liaden novels. The duology as a whole has been okay, if not amazing, with perhaps a bit too much gravitas added to the proceedings to mark their historic importance in their universe, which is at odds with the fun, breakneck, romantic proceedings that drew me to the series in the first place. Okay, so there is an extended parody of academic life that I'm sure will elicit bitter laughs a plenty from any grad student who happens to be reading, and there's still time for a bang-up finale (which I don't expect), but overall...eh. It's decidedly fans only. Meanwhile, for non fans wondering why I bothered in the first place, if you're looking for light space opera entertainment (and it really is compelling stuff, if not what you would call heavy reading), keep an eye out for the first Liaden novel (at least, in publication order), Agent of Change, either used or the reissue due out later in the year.

small-favor.jpg

Meanwhile, as soon as I wrap up Crystal Dragon I can start in on the latest in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, Small Favor. I expect that our boy Harry Dresden will, as ever, be in moderately to incredibly deep shit as he repays a few debts to Queen Mab. Yeah, that's going to go over well. I'm completely stoked.

FnordChan

100_Years_of_Solitude.png

Made an LTTP thread about this last night, but I forgot to mention that this book - after three years of reading political science case studies - has made me me remember why literature, and art in general, is so important.

Just finished:
zbea1.jpg

Throw in Project X, Robocop/Terminator, and Homeward Bound and the end product may look something like this.

I'm trying to get back into comics/graphic novels. Once again, I have to thank GAF for introducing me to awesome stuff. Absolutely fantastic illustrations, and as short as it is (originally published as a three issue mini series that is now available as a 104 paged trade paperback), there were definitely some moving moments. Not gonna lie. I shed a few tears. While you may not consider yourself to be a PETA level animal rights activist, if you have any capacity for compassion for animals at all
and can stomach extreme violence, if not outright enjoy it
, this might be up your alley.

Where I'll move on from here? Likely some other Grant Morrison material like Vimanarama or Seaguy.

I'm only reading stuff for class this month, and it's been that way the entire semester. -_- Right now I have to finish up Interview With The Vampire(pretty good. never read any Anne Rice before). I have to read V For Vendetta for next week, which is pretty exciting since I've had a copy of it sitting around forever, but have never actually read it.

Kola

I'm starting on a little vacation to Denmark soon, and as there's nothing else to do than wander on the North Sea shore and reading at this time of year, I bought myself some books.

First

41ggjREYEdL._SS500_.jpg

There's no exact counterpart for this edition in English, but I think it is included here:
http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Aphorisms-Penguin-Classics-Schopenhauer/dp/0140442278/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207241344&sr=8-3

After that I will continue with good ol' Nietzsche:
41u5AnV2DJL._SS500_.jpg

English translation seems to be quite good.
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Christ-Friedrich-Nietzsche/dp/1599866315/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207241810&sr=1-1

To be concluded with this one:
51KjEC7yQgL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Narcissus-Goldmund-Hermann-Hesse/dp/0553275860/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207242038&sr=1-2

Oreoleo

Eric P said:
as an ACC fan, may i gently suggest Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama?

Absolutely. Depending on how the 2001 series went (ie, if I enjoyed his writing style enough) I was planning on picking those two up when I was done.

Eric P

Orellio said:
Absolutely. Depending on how the 2001 series went (ie, if I enjoyed his writing style enough) I was planning on picking those two up when I was done.

my personal favorite stuff of his is the short stories he's done

there's an excellent huge book which is a great read. some of it is wildly uneven because he just has an idea and constructs the barest fraction of a tale around it just to get it down on paper

but other stuff is just brilliant

like Dial F for Frankenstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collected_Stories_of_Arthur_C._Clarke

YYZ

I'm going to be reading this as well. I'm really hesitant to read Ilium even though I need to finish it as well as something else within the next 3 weeks.

7724593.jpg

Orellio said:
I discovered Arthur C. Clarke a couple days ago, and read The Star, The 9 Billion Names of God, and The Sentinel one afternoon
I just read The Star this week. Great short story. I'll be sure to read the latter linked story.

I also read 2 chapters of Watchmen today in B&N. I had never read a graphic novel before. Holy shit. So awesome. I'm going to order the Ultimate edition off of Amazon.

Evlar

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I just read The Star this week. Great short story. I'll be sure to read the latter linked story.

I also read 2 chapters of Watchmen today in B&N. I had never read a graphic novel before. Holy shit. So awesome. I'm going to order the Ultimate edition off of Amazon.
I read Childhood's End this past week in honor of Clarke's passing. It's surprising and chilling (and a little silly). Recommended for sci-fi victims.

And yeah, so awesome.

Eric P

CajoleJuice said:

yeah, the absolute edition is incredible. be careful taking it out of the slip case though. my second time taking mine out i managed to get a tiny rip in the dust cover.

i'm a lot further along in Heart Shaped Box and it's a LOT better. Where as the last time I wouldn't really recommend it, this time i would whole heartedly do so.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Read I Am Legend in a day, the movie is way different, i thought the fucking thing was about Zombies based on the movie, reading the book does make the ending of the movie make more sense though.

jon bones said:
I really need to finish this ASAP

n1513.jpg

OMG, so damn good. When I started reading this book, 5 pages in I said "holy crap, this is what I was looking for". The style is definitely really amazing, if not a bit vague on the actiony details at bits. An awesome mind-blowing read though. You don't even have to put your mind into the state of "pre-internet" if you don't want to, but once you do, you can't help but be blown away.

Incidentally I'm just about to wrap up

spook_country.jpg

Again, similar gibson style of "hyper cool". It's the only other book I've read from him and though I like Neuromancer a little more, Spook Country is also a great read.

Also reading
weathermakers-can1.jpg

Awesome book so far, at bout a third in. I really have to recommend this wherever I can now.

0553381709.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also great. Insanely epic size of a read though. I like this one better than the second book at about 200 pages in. Every chapter is intriguing so far :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
embers.jpg

This was... incredible. It's amazing how a mere 150 pages had such an impact on me. Has anyone read this?

Eric P

finished up Heart Shaped Box

it just gets better and better as it goes along

excellent character progression

def worth a read

GER47.jpg

is probably next

it's about a former cop turned private eye working in berlin. this is three novels covering 1937-1947. i got the suggestion from a friend whose opinion i really trust

way more

cashman said:
seems pretty well written.

Yann_Martel_Life_of_Pi_unabridged_compact_discs.jpg

This is one of my favorite books.

I'm just slowly perusing through this.

16martin.jpg

And then I have to get on myself to finish one of the following.

kavalier%20and%20clay.jpg

Running-with-scissors.jpg

My Grandpa was Superintendent of the State Hospital in the book.

n126290.jpg

Cdammen

bone.jpg

It's a comic. An excellent comic. Whopping 1340 pages of awesome. I've just begun (200 pages in) and I'm loving it.

MidiSurf

Banned
Cdammen said:
http://www.rafaelfyen.se/upload/bone.jpg[IMG]

It's a comic. An excellent comic. Whopping 1340 pages of awesome. I've just begun (200 pages in) and I'm loving it.[/QUOTE]

Where I can buy that THING ? I must have it.

EDIT: Found it and bought it from Amazon.com

Thaedolus

Gold Member
ffclg.jpg

It's been said that this isn't as good as the others, and I probably agree, but it's still rocking my socks off.

Eric P

i totally lied

i started to read volume 3 of Richard Matheson's short stories (you may know him better as the writer of I Am Legend) and am pretty much nearly finished with it

then i think i'll be moving onto the Berlin Noir book

Eric P

christinefalls_1.jpg

I'm currently reading Christina Falls by "benjamin black" (actually John Banville).

I only got like 70 pages in last night but it seems ok so far. kind of loosey goosey, as in not really tightly plotted. Lots of time is being spent on characterization which is good. So far we don't really get a sense of dublin in the 50s as a place. We have just hit 4 locations. I was kind of hoping for a bit more in that regard.

also the main character is a pathologist but we get no sense of the science of pathology at that time. the one bit with a body actually happens "off screen" as it were. We get a paragraph break and then it's all "He found what he needed quickly."

I'm not certain the actual intent of the author beyond trying his hand at crime fiction instead of literary fiction but so far there's little crime, little police work and lots and lots and lots of emotional baggage.

this wouldn't be problematic if it were tightened up a bit.

This may just be because my own reading recently has been short stories by Richard Matheson, along with Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, so that terseness of style of writing is still on my palate. Convey as much information as quickly as possible with an economy of language.

But this isn't a book about plot. It's a book about relationships. So as a genre novel, so far, it's a miserable failure. As a genre exercise for someone who's a usually bit more florid with his prose (see "The Sea") it's marginally more successful.

We'll see where it goes from here.

FnordChan

Eric, you haven't sold me on Christine Falls, but I am curious to hear about Berlin Noir when you're done with it.

Meanwhile, I'm 100 or so pages into Small Favor, the new Dresden Files novel, and it's as excellent as always in that snarky protagonist, supernatural noir, shit hits the fan sort of way that Butcher is so damn good at.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom