• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading, April?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric P

i just finished Roberto Bolano's Nazi Literature in the Americas

I'm on the fence about what to read next. I've got Johnathan Ame's The Extra Man and i'm enjoying it, but i'm in the mood for something darker, so i'm contemplating dumping it for this, which just won a Stoker.

2007-3-9-heart-shaped-box.jpeg

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm re-reading Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. My favourite book of the past five years or so. I've been given a copy of The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks which I may start up afterwards. Anybody read that before? Is it a worthwhile read?

Eric P

Wes said:
I'm re-reading Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. My favourite book of the past five years or so. I've been given a copy of The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks which I may start up afterwards. Anybody read that before? Is it a worthwhile read?

i got 100 pages in then got sidetracked

i liked what i've read but haven't gone back to it

electricpirate said:
though I'm not reading it in nearly that cool of a format.

That would have been so awesome.

"Uh, 'scuse me, electricpirate? You done for the day? Rickie Mendelbaum's in for his Haftorah reading."
"Gimme like five minutes, Rabbi."

068480154X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's great. I always thought that F. Scott Fitzgerald was kind of a one-hit-wonder with 'The Great Gatsby,' but this book also blows me away. He's just so good at capturing social interaction & people's opinions of each other, it's all so dynamic and exciting... Great stuff.

Uncle

Couldn't find the english title for this, but the direct translation would be the Red Sphinx, by Alexandre Dumas. I have no idea when or how I got this book, but I found it yesterday in my bookshelf (or rather a box filled with books).

BenjaminBirdie said:
That would have been so awesome.

"Uh, 'scuse me, electricpirate? You done for the day? Rickie Mendelbaum's in for his Haftorah reading."
"Gimme like five minutes, Rabbi."

"Ohh, it's okay, It's just his Bar Mitzvah"

curious3.jpg

Really good so far. It is a mystery told through the perspective of an autistic 15-year old boy. Smart writing, and often crushing emotional moments that are emphasized by the boy's lack of emotion.

Vague

I just started reading River of Gods by Ian McDonanld. I like it so far but I'm not even 100 pages in. It was recommended to me by a friend of mine. It is set in India in 2047 on the brink of a water war because the Ganga river is starting to run dry.

thomaser

Just finished The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Liked it a lot. Funny, complex and thought-provoking, just like Midnight's Children.

Qffs+v35lerH6rZAno6+KwFXU8EK726UfRQj+C4d+iJ4vBR0UXKSIHrOQNTfaHdQ

Right now, I'm reading White Noise by Don DeLillo. It's enjoyable so far, but he has a strange way of writing. Lots of small scenes that don't seem to have much to do with each other, and there are tons of random things thrown in. Broken sentences overheard from the radio and so on. As if he's trying to drown the plot in... white noise. I feel so clever for realizing that.

The line, "What are you reading, April?" made me think this was gonna be a thread about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III The movie...

*quietly leaves*

YYZ

jon bones said:
I really need to finish this ASAP

n1513.jpg
I finished that a few weeks ago, got really into it. BTW Hayden Christensen is going to be Case in the Neuromancer movie, yea...

Now I'm reading this for class. Damn thick books are intimidating (except for The Count of Monte Cristo)
5147BERTGAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

MidiSurf

Banned
Excelent book so far.
swqmop.jpg

"An international literary phenomenon now available for the first time in English translation. Candy is a blast of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll that opens up to us a modern China we've never seen before."

Mian Mian lives in Shanghai and works as a writer and nightlife promoter. Candy, her first novel, was banned in China with Mian Mian decried as a "poster child for spiritual pollution" and became an underground bestseller.

Eric P

Heart Shaped Box is kind of strange.

I'm about 60 pages in, the ghost has made its appearance, the reason the ghost has made its appearance has popped up, bad things have started to happen

but it's flat. ghostly activities happen with the same tone and meter as someone making breakfast.

this thing just won a stoker, so it's fairly well received by other professionals, but there's no foreboding. no sense of dread. nothing.

the ghost is at this point no more outside the norm than an other house guest.

Eric WK

perryfarrell said:
068480154X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's great. I always thought that F. Scott Fitzgerald was kind of a one-hit-wonder with 'The Great Gatsby,' but this book also blows me away. He's just so good at capturing social interaction & people's opinions of each other, it's all so dynamic and exciting... Great stuff.

Phenomenal.

I'm almost finished with The Time Traveler's Wife. It's fantastic.

I was looking for more info on Private Military Companies. Can anyone recommend a book? There's a Blackwater book by Scahill, but it seems divisive (I'd like an objective book).

Evlar

Banned
I'm still reading Predictably Irrational. I'm going to sally forth and attempt the new translation of War and Peace one of these days.

YYZ

Is the book Jumper any good? The movie sucked balls so I don't want to go into without opinions.

Since the beginning of this year I've been listening too The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote. Excellent book (3 books actually). I'd recommend the audio version though, 6,000 pages is a little much.

Anno

10475497.jpg

Very interesting book. Anyone have suggestions on similar books? The economy is a lot more fun to learn about than I'd have guessed.

silvon

Finished Wind-Up Bird Chronicle a couple of months ago, reading Norwegian Wood now. Murakami is one of two authors whose works I can describe as addictive (the other being Terry Pratchett).

I have Brave New World on the go at the moment and 1984 is next in line. Sadly, I missed out on both books when I was in school. Figured I might as well check them out now. Brave New world is off to a very interesting start.

All of the advantages of Christianity and alcohol; none of their defects.

Scott Pilgrim Volumes 3 and 4.
The series just keeps improving and it was already pretty great to begin with.

All Star Superman Vol 1
Got it based upon the recommendations for Grant Morrisons work. Whilst I think its very good it hasnt blown me away yet.

DC: New Frontier
This ranks easily with the best comics I have read. Darwyn Cooke does a incredible job interpreting classic characters. The first section featuring the losers is just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom